Archgriffin vs. Melusine

+
I want to speak about the Archgriffin acrd. It looks like a Melusine card. Compare them: both cards intended to be pumped and reused. Melusine costs 10 provisions, has veil, can spawn rain and can gain by 2. After a round and in the round you can play this card from graveyard. Archgriffin costs 9 provisions and doesn't have nothing for activity play. It only saves boosts. Only after round play from your deck.

Don't you think that for a difference of one provision, there are too many differences? Melusine is actively played and used in many strategies, while Archgriffin is not. Do you know why? Because the Archgriffin dies too easily. In fact, you can kill Melusine in two ways: first is delete at area (and in fact by only Kortahi Heatwave), second is delete from graveyard (squirrel or Xavier Lemmens). Archgriffin breaks down more ways: delete (Kortahi Heatwave), Lock (many cards), kill by Poison (many cards from Nilfgaard and Syndicate), reset the power (many cards). There are more ways to kill an Archgriffin than a Melusine, and they are more accessible, and the difference between them is only one provisions. I think the Archgriffin map needs to be Veil, then there will be fewer ways to break the map and it will begin to justify itself.

Last edited:
You are comparing an OP card (Melusine) to a badly underpowered, debatably unplayable card (Archgriffin). Unfortunately, this is far from the only instance of such discrepancies.

In my opinion, neither card is good for the game. Both are vary binary, playing for far too much value if uncountered. Griffin is generally innocuous because it is so easily countered and sufficiently underpowered as to receive almost no play. Melusine is pernicious: too hard to counter and often giving good value even if countered.

But because of their tendency toward binary values, I would much prefer to see Melusine nerfed to the point where it is only played in rain or self-damage decks than to see Archgriffin buffed to see extensive use.

Last edited:
You're comparing two mechanically speaking different cards. Because of added Fucusya, Melusine is currently much stronger than before - when played for a third time, you can easily already have her on 24+.

The only good responses are Heatwave or Yenvo. I don't think Melusine should maintain Veil after addition of Fucusya, so it can be locked or poisoned.

You are comparing an OP card (Melusine) to a badly underpowered, debatably unplayable card (Archgriffin). Unfortunately, this is far from the only instance of such discrepancies.

In my opinion, neither card is good for the game. Both are vary binary, playing for far too much value if uncountered. Griffin is generally innocuous because it is so easily countered and sufficiently underpowered as to receive almost no play. Melusine is pernicious: too hard to counter and often giving good value even if countered.

But because of their tendency toward binary values, I would much prefer to see Melusine nerfed to the point where it is only played in rain or self-damage decks than to see Archgriffin buffed to see extensive use.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. The difference is only one provision, but the difference in application is huge.

Why don't you want the Archgriffin buff?) don't like this card? It seems to me that in the present conditions such an enhanced version would play well.

It’s not that I don’t like Archgriffin; it’s that I don’t like cards that play for too much value. When some cards play for 40 points and others play for 7, the 7 point cards become irrelevant — it becomes a game of who draws the most 40 point cards. When cards play for forty points and good tactics are worth 3 more points than bad tactics, good play becomes irrelevant — it becomes a game of drawing 40 point cards. Melusine, in my opinion plays for far more than any card should. (Although it is far from the only card that is too good.) In any case, my opinion is that the last thing Gwent needs is more cards that play for Melusine-like values.

What I think the game needs most is significant nerfing of Melusine — and probably 50 other cards that consistently play or combine for disproportionate value.

Top Bottom