Game freezes during boss fight

+
Every time i try to beat Sandayu Oda game freezes at random, i tried like 20+ times but every time the games freezes. What can i do?
No errors, the game just freezes.

This is my system:
Amd Ryzen 3800XT
GeForce RTX Asus 3080 (with drivers updated)

Game is patched with last patch, playing on GoG.

You use mods ?
At first, can you try to verifying the game files :
If it's not already done, perform a clean reinstallation of your drivers :
NVIDIA
I. Download the latest Game Ready drivers using the following link: https://www.geforce.com/drivers
II. Download Display Driver Uninstaller and run it to remove previous versions of drivers.
III. Clean install drivers that you've downloaded in step 1.
If it don't work, make sure to try all these steps and send a ticket to the support for help ("contact us" button)

Hello,

I have the exact same issue. I had no crashes for more than 100hours of gameplay but now it freezes everytime during this boss fight, sometimes very early sometimes almost towards the end (but I never managed to kill him before crash unfortunately).
From what I can tell, the source seems to be a memory leak. When it happens, the entire game freezes (music goes on), and when I check my task manager, the ram quickly fills up until reaching the max. Then the game completely crashes.

I tried the following:
- uninstall and clean install nvidia drivers
- Verify and Repair game
- load previous save before the fight
- play with the lowest graphics settings
- uninstall the game completely and reinstall it (I use gog galaxy).

Anything else I could try?

Thanks in advance for your help

Hello,

I have the exact same issue. I had no crashes for more than 100hours of gameplay but now it freezes everytime during this boss fight, sometimes very early sometimes almost towards the end (but I never managed to kill him before crash unfortunately).
From what I can tell, the source seems to be a memory leak. When it happens, the entire game freezes (music goes on), and when I check my task manager, the ram quickly fills up until reaching the max. Then the game completely crashes.

I tried the following:
- uninstall and clean install nvidia drivers
- Verify and Repair game
- load previous save before the fight
- play with the lowest graphics settings
- uninstall the game completely and reinstall it (I use gog galaxy).

Anything else I could try?

Thanks in advance for your help
Try playing the game offline. Having things like cloud storage, achievements, overlays, etc. can sometimes create unexpected problems. You shouldn't need to worry about missing out on achievements or anything -- it will be part of your save state, and the platform should recognize it the next time you log in.

Try playing the game offline. Having things like cloud storage, achievements, overlays, etc. can sometimes create unexpected problems. You shouldn't need to worry about missing out on achievements or anything -- it will be part of your save state, and the platform should recognize it the next time you log in.
Hi SigilFey,

Thanks for your answer. I had actually already tried to disable cloud saves, and overlays. Never disabled achievements though.

Anyway, I tried once again to uninstall the game completely (including local saves), uninstall gog galaxy completely and re-install everything. As Nvidia released a new driver a few days ago, I also made a clean install of it.

Not sure what actually helped, but I was finally able to kill ODA without the game freezing. Maybe it was also pure luck... who knows....

Hi SigilFey,

Thanks for your answer. I had actually already tried to disable cloud saves, and overlays. Never disabled achievements though.

Anyway, I tried once again to uninstall the game completely (including local saves), uninstall gog galaxy completely and re-install everything. As Nvidia released a new driver a few days ago, I also made a clean install of it.

Not sure what actually helped, but I was finally able to kill ODA without the game freezing. Maybe it was also pure luck... who knows....
Surely!

Based on the steps you took, I have no idea which one of those things it could have been. But -- now it's fixed. As far as V is concerned, that's the only thing that matters! Enjoy the bleak and empty existence of the dark future! :p

I'm having the exact same problem at the exact same point in the game. This is clearly a bug that's impacting multiple people

Intel CPU, nVidia GTX card, no overlays running, no mods.

I'm having the exact same problem at the exact same point in the game. This is clearly a bug that's impacting multiple people

Intel CPU, nVidia GTX card, no overlays running, no mods.
You get a crash report? Should be a hint as too why it crashes.

You get a crash report? Should be a hint as too why it crashes.
One time when it happened, I let it sit for a while (screen frozen, but music still playing) and it eventually generated a crash report. I recall it giving me the option to send the report (which I did), but I don't recall seeing an option to look at the report's contents.

One time when it happened, I let it sit for a while (screen frozen, but music still playing) and it eventually generated a crash report. I recall it giving me the option to send the report (which I did), but I don't recall seeing an option to look at the report's contents.
It has a little link too show what this report contain. You can start the crash reporter from CP2077/bin/x64/crashreporter and it will load the latest generated. otherwise the crash reports are stored in: C:\Users\Yourusername\AppData\Local\REDEngine\ReportQueue with quite a few hidden folders... Should be 2 text files with a stack trace and a report on what crashed.

It has a little link too show what this report contain. You can start the crash reporter from CP2077/bin/x64/crashreporter and it will load the latest generated. otherwise the crash reports are stored in: C:\Users\Yourusername\AppData\Local\REDEngine\ReportQueue with quite a few hidden folders... Should be 2 text files with a stack trace and a report on what crashed.
Ah, okay. I suspect this bit is key:

"Message: Out of Memory! Failed to allocate 23216 bytes with alignment 16 from pool 'PoolGMPL_Effect' using 'DefaultAllocator'"

I'm not sure what to do about it, though. I don't suspect a lack of physical memory is an issue, as I have 32GB. I'm guessing there's a leak somewhere...

Ah, okay. I suspect this bit is key:

"Message: Out of Memory! Failed to allocate 23216 bytes with alignment 16 from pool 'PoolGMPL_Effect' using 'DefaultAllocator'"

I'm not sure what to do about it, though. I don't suspect a lack of physical memory is an issue, as I have 32GB. I'm guessing there's a leak somewhere...
Could be Vram? Its very resource heavy this game... Even at lower resolutions it eats up Vram. I see ram usage upto 50% at times and have 32 gb too so should be fine. Can be a antivirus blocking something. Could be pagefile running out. If its a memory leak you should be able too see it with a perfomance overlay (i use afterburner) or even nvidias own overlay.
Post automatically merged:

Hello everyone:

I have managed to stabilize my problems, I have made the game stable on my system.

I wrote in this same thread with message number # 1924, I hope it helps someone.

After playing 2 days I have not had any problems.

The problems I had were:

1. EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005)

2. Out of Memory! from pool 'PoolRenderBlobsBuffers'

3. Out of Memory! from pool 'PoolGI'

Although the game is usually stable in memory accesses both in the system and in the GPU, I think the problem resided in the memory that it occasionally needs at times of higher load such as zone changes, especially when I go by car or motorcycle .

The solution to my problems has been to touch virtual memory in windows 10.

Currently I have automatically assigned 2432MB although the system recommends 2930MB.

Another thing that I have also changed is the keyboard since I had one for Bluethooth and I have changed it for a USB one.

I hope this solution will help someone, now I have to start improving my FPS since my system remains at about 30 - 41 depending on which area I am in the city and always counting that I am going by motorcycle or car, walking improves somewhat but not excessively.

I play in Ultra with RTX on and DLSS in "AUTO".

Found another post on these forums about this issue.. Seems too be pagefile related. never hade this crash with it on auto tho.

Last edited:
My Win11 pagefile is set to auto, although like the poster above Windows has chosen a size that's below the recommended size (which makes zero sense to me). I'll trying disabling auto and manually bumping up to the recommended size, and seeing what happens.

My Win11 pagefile is set to auto, although like the poster above Windows has chosen a size that's below the recommended size (which makes zero sense to me). I'll trying disabling auto and manually bumping up to the recommended size, and seeing what happens.
Did it work?

I can confirm this is still happening, in my case it occurs whenever I use contagion on him, I'll see if I can beat him without it

Top Bottom