Cyberpunk freezes and crashes my computer, requiring hard boot (played over 50 hours)

+
What u have to understand is that the game wasn't ready, it came out with over 1100 bugs & glitches, cause they did a few patches but their 1.4 patch it patched almost 870 bugs just to make the game playable
1. It was playable before patching. Thousands played it - many finished it. Buggy? Yes. Playable? Yes. Playable for everyone? No.

2. Witcher 3 had hundreds and hundreds of fixes within first year of release. https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/Category:The_Witcher_3_patches

3. This is typical for complex, open-world games. RDR 1 and 2, GTA, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed - you name it. More complex the game, more platforms it's on, more patches it will need.

Are these games "ready"? Depends on your tolerance for bugs. If you wait for a bug-free version, you'll be waiting for years, if not forever. Are some games less buggy than others on release? Sure. The complex ones are pretty much always infested, nature of the beast.

How much of the anti-2077 hype is based on expectation? Much of it. Lots of it also on the old-gen systems and lots of it mob mentality. But it was never going to be anything close to bug-free and neither will any sequels or Witcher 4.

EDIT just to affirm what Notserious80 said - CP2077 has always crashed 'gracefully' for me, as in you get an alert message on the desktop and an option to send a report to CDPR. Does sound like an OS/hardware issue. Um, have you looked at the logs that Windows generates in the Computer Management utility (right-click Start, select Computer Management and loki at the Event Viewer entry. It shows some (admittedly opaque to me) info about critical events.
I do see 9 "critical" events, with "Source: Kernel-Power" which seem to coincide with the crashes I've been dealing with. Event ID 41, Task Category (63). It's also pretty opaque to me. The description reads:
> The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

I don't know if this means a factory reset will fix it or if it indicates something hardware-related :-/

> I guess you could run Windows System File Checker utility

I will try that now before I do the reset.
Post automatically merged:

The file checker utility shows no issues
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.22000.653

Image Version: 10.0.22000.739

[===========================84.9%================= ]
[===========================87.3%================== ]
[===========================89.9%==================== ]
[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.
The operation completed successfully.

EDIT: actually, I almost missed a step and there were some issues?!

sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

Sigh. After that, and also installing some "optional updates" I found when looking for things to update in Windows, it seems even worse. Cyberpunk crashed just a few minutes in. So that didn't solve it. I think I'm going to have to give the factory reset a try at this point.

Last edited:
The Source: Kernel-Power errors are because it crashed and restarted unexpectedly. It will allways show up if you dont shut off the pc the normal way.

Seems it found some corrupted files so thats good, did it crash teh same way as before without any crashreport?

Seems it found some corrupted files so thats good, did it crash teh same way as before without any crashreport?
Yeah, same way, but even faster than before (within five minutes instead of 10-15).

The Kernel-Power errors are almost certainly me holding down the power button because the PC locked up. I still don't know what caused the lockup. Doing the factory reset as soon as I finish backing up my files.

After factory resetting my computer _and_ deciding to just stick with Windows 10 over 11 (which may not have made any difference, but I'm not a fan of 11 anyway), I was able to play Cyberpunk for an hour last night without any issue. So it really does seem like the root cause was something wrong with the computer itself. Still not sure what, oh well. I want to thank everyone here for being so helpful, you're good people.

Last edited:
Top Bottom