Could CDPR be developing third-person mode for Cyberpunk 2077?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
heck i would be happy with relfections of V ingame ^^
Yep reflexions would be nice :)
While I do agree that scenes like this one and some others would not work in third-person, other scenes, like the one in Vik's office where V learns about what the relic is doing to them, would have been ten times more impactful if we had been able to see their face during. You can hear the fear and devastation in their voice, but it would have been far more heart-wrenching to have seen them emoting.
Matter of tastes, point of view (whatever).

Honestly, I don't have to see my (V's) face, I feel the fear and devastation myself...
That's the huge difference between a "third person character" (like Lara, Geralt, Shepard,...). In the scene that you quote, Vik talk to my V (to me) and not a character that I play. But that's also a subjective preference/feeling. In the same way, when Kerry slap nicely my cheek after the crisis, it would be less "good" in third person (I can quote almost all of the scenes wihtout exeption. Like when Royce threat you with his gun, when Johnny take control of your body,...)
But it's a discussion already debated to death here too :

So in the current thread, could CDPR devellop a third person view "mode" for Cyberpunk ?
I guess > no.

Last edited:
Matter of tastes, point of view (whatever).

Honestly, I don't have to see my (V's) face, I feel the fear and devastation myself...
That's the huge difference between a "third person character" (like Lara, Geralt, Shepard,...). In the scene that you quote, Vik talk to my V (to me) and not a character that I play. But that's also a subjective preference/feeling. In the same way, when Kerry slap nicely my cheek after the crisis, it would be less "good" in third person (I can quote almost all of the scenes wihtout exeption. Like when Royce threat you with his gun, when Johnny take control of your body,...)
But it's a discussion already debated to death here too :

That's always what these threads ultimately boil down to. Matter of tastes, preferences and personal experiences. With large and minor differences and tons of variations within these same differences.

Point in case, I agree with you 100% about the scene with Vik or most scenes losing their impact the moment you'd switch to TPP but unlike you, Vik is never talking to me. I'm always playing a character and seeing things through that character's eyes. Regardless of how hard I'd try, my brain just isn't wired that way. It's a variation within our overall agreement that absolutely makes us experience these scenes differently. Which will absolutely lead in different opinions.

Point being, there isn't any right or wrong answer about should the game be TPP or FPP but ultimately, it is FPP and CDPR isn't going back on that. I'd be extremely surprised if they did anyway.

Yep it is debatable...
I'm a player who really prefer to play in "first person", but I can't play in first person in Rockstar games (I only use it to loot in RDR2).
And in Skyrim, I can't say, I never tried third person (the only time that the view go in third person it's when I don't touch the pad for long enough^^). But I played Skyrim/Fallout after Cyberpunk and the first person seem a little bit "weird" (seem like a "floating" camera).
I've always liked much better 3rd person and seeing the player character. That being said, Skyrim REALLY feels like it's meant to be played in 1st person even tho both options are possible

I feel like if they did implement an official TPP mode, certain scripted story moments would need to lock perspective to FPP, I know for some people that might not make them happy.

But some moments really only work from that perspective, they were clearly designed with that in mind, and TPP would severely diminish them. Like I said before regardless of mods or official support or whatever the case is, FPP was a creative choice above all not a technical limitation, So doing TPP properly would take a lot of work to get right, and Honestly from a creative standpoint there is still nothing wrong with keeping to that vision.

I'm happy either way as long as the updates and expansions add cool content.

lots of good debatable there and there, but in the end it do show that adding Third perspective will not ruin the game at all as it still worked good for RDR2 and skyrim. For some it is ok and for some it's good and for some it is an option so there's actually no sense to not add the third perspective camera as the player in the end will be the one to decide how to play and progress the game at it's own taste. Development team can still hold on onto their Artistic vision while still give the player options so it is actually win win situation here.

but in the end it do show that adding Third perspective will not ruin the game at all as it still worked good for RDR2 and skyrim.
Just my opinion which is subjective : it's not true :)
In RDR2 first person is not good (switching from the first person view to third person cinematics is particularely bad for me^^) and in Skyrim, third person is not really good too.

That's why plenty of games provide one and only one perspective and don't let player choose, generally the third person view :)

Just my opinion which is subjective : it's not true :)
In RDR2 first person is not good (switching from the first person view to third person cinematics is particularely bad for me^^) and in Skyrim, third person is not really good too.

That's why plenty of games provide one and only one perspective and don't let player choose, generally the third person view :)
and that's where the option comes in play - you can always switch to the desired camera perspective whenever you want at any given time if one camera perspective are not in your taste.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd personally enjoy TPP and I'd probably play mostly TPP walking/exploring/just messing around and then switch to FPP for combat. That's how I most enjoy the fallout games and could see it working similarly well.

My concern is that requires a new animation set and camera controls and I just don't know if it's something they'd want to put the effort into, I know the fans have requested it a lot and demand can change minds, but they have been pretty clear that this was always intended as FPP and they don't intend to change it.

I know they hired camera programmers and animators and that could hint at a change of stance on this.... time will tell. I just also don't think it's 100% necessary to add the feature, and I don't think it's so bad if they decide not to.

and that's where the option comes in play - you can always switch to the desired camera perspective whenever you want at any given time if one camera perspective are not in your taste.
Again, I never said that impossible, but it was an "artistic" choice and to add a third person view, it would require a huge amount of work. Anyway, it's not like if CDPR wasn't announced years before the game release that the whole game will be in first person view only, exception to few cinematics...

So let's take an example, I recently played Tomb Raider, The Witcher 3, ST Fallen Order, Guardians of The Galaxy, Watch Dogs 2, Mass Effect LE,... as a player who prefer the first person view, did I have the choice to switch to first person view which fit better to my tastes or, studios made the "artistic" choice to only provide third person view because it fit better with the game that they wanted to make ?

Those who say CDPR can't do it. Here's what a modder did for Witcher 3 in a reverse order.

It's not about if they can or not. The third person character is not properly made to support a 3rd person camera, only to support the first person view. They will have to build the model again with all the animations and correct proportions and all interactions with the world.
It's possible to do so and they could, now hear me on this:

THE BIG PROBLEM is that the world is proportioned only properly for 1st person camera. Get in photo mode while you double jump or simply jump and be amazed. You are so high in the air. Stand on your bed in the original apartment and go on photo mode again, your bed space is huge and the ceiling really high for no reason. Same with cars, take screenshot from the side with a 50 mm lens in photo mode and compare that to real people in real cars and their comparative proportions, it's ridiculous.

So, yes they can build a 3rd person character and camera if they want to, but it will always look absurd.

Again, I never said that impossible, but it was an "artistic" choice and to add a third person view, it would require a huge amount of work. Anyway, it's not like if CDPR wasn't announced years before the game release that the whole game will be in first person view only, exception to few cinematics...

So let's take an example, I recently played Tomb Raider, The Witcher 3, ST Fallen Order, Guardians of The Galaxy, Watch Dogs 2, Mass Effect LE,... as a player who prefer the first person view, did I have the choice to switch to first person view which fit better to my tastes or, studios made the "artistic" choice to only provide third person view because it fit better with the game that they wanted to make ?
Yeah except the 2018 vertical slice demo clearly had third person cinemas. They rushed it, and never had time to do it proper. The game they intended to make never happened. It's so painfully obvious when you compare the first major mission to every other mission in the game.

Yeah except the 2018 vertical slice demo clearly had third person cinemas.
You means this video ?
Anyway, I'll quote @ooodrin, it's easier :
- 2018 demo featured 2 transitional custcenes, even then, every conversation that offered dialogue options was in first person, not third person
- in September 2019 there was the official announcement saying that the game will be almost 100% in first person; that's 15 months before the game came out
- from the start, they have dismissed the possibility of TPP toggle

Therefore: people who can't stand FPP games should have known better than to buy FPP game and bellyache about the lack of TPP for 2 years.
Also in the way of decision to make Cyberpunk FPP-only being made in 2016, while the game was still at pre-production stage.
And just for example of "trailers" which are only here to present games :
Outer Worlds launch trailer. You can see the "player" in third person few times in the video... But you can search in the game, there is no third person view at all, not even a single cinematic in third person :)

Last edited:
I think future of gaming is about third person shooters and new mechanics, that allow you to interact with opponents by different ways. it stresses me out to stay 100% time focussed on a center cross. For example in Fallout 76 there is a very comfortable desition to make a dinamic third person camera that allow you to use VATS and never go to first person. But this topic is for Cyberpunk 2099.

As console only gamer (and last gen at that #sadface) I could do with an official 3rd person mode, like Capcom is doing with Resident Evil : Village. But I'm not holding out my breath. If CP2077 ever gets a 3rd person mode, it will probably be current gen only, because of "technical difficulties".

Put if it is ever made available and on last gen, I have only this to say :
Post automatically merged:

Attachments

• 0f25ee2d869ef533343ffaed0b830712.jpg
    0f25ee2d869ef533343ffaed0b830712.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 15
I think, artistically, this game has been designed for first person and the story and themes it is telling work so much better with you as the character than you *watching* a character that even the option of third person feels like an artistic insult. This is a game about a character's internal debate about whst consciousness is *featuring a major character who exists only inside their head*.

So I actually think third person would damage what the game is trying to do and as such I think the creators should stand by their vision and not implement it.

That said, if they could find a way to implement player reflections without turning people's machines into volcanoes (you are, after all, talking about rendering a second, move-matched third person character model at all times), that would be superb and really enhance the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom