What do you think about V?

+
Agreed.

I really enjoyed Cyberpunk 2077. I look forward to putting probably a couple hundred more hours into the game once the expansion(s) drop. But my main problem with the game was that the main storyline felt purposefully shortened... like it was choppy and missing intended parts. It was still a solid story, but I wish it was longer and had more structure. If they were going to go the route of Silverhand being in your head it feels like something that if the main quest line was about 50 hours long... the Silverhand incident should have happened around hour 30-35, not hour 5-10. This would have given them more time to build up the legend of Silverhand in the world, while also making the rest of the game feel like a mad scramble rather than a mix of you doing merc stuff to build your rep and also trying to solve this thing in your head trying to kill you.

I have no evidence for it, though I am sure other people have looked into it... but I'd imagine when they got Keanu to sign on they made significant changes to the story and progression as well. Because to me part of the game seems like you are just supposed to be a merc working your way up to something greater... then other parts of it are this rushed madness due to the Silverhand storyline.

To me it seems like Silverhand was originally meant to just be a character you encounter in the game. But when they got such a big name they kind of forced him into a bigger role and modified the story.

yeah there were many talks about it after the release - I also remember a lot of these discussions. many believe Keanus cast had a big influence on the storytelling. talks like he (Silverhand the character itself) hadn't that much attention in early on promotion/trailer, or the replacement from the quad v-tec by his own bike brand arch as Jackys drive. other ones thought Jackys screentime was just transformed over to silverhands seeing a coop mission with jacky but than realizing he nearly died instantly in the final game. others again said silverhand in cp lore (novels/tabletop) is just one of many characters and the focus in cp77 just doesn't fit. I personally think he had an influence in different parts of the progress as well maybe not hard but for sure in some points.

"wake up samurai - we have a city to burn" - story clearly was rewritten, no-one knows how strong tho...

others again said silverhand in cp lore (novels/tabletop) is just one of many characters and the focus in cp77 just doesn't fit
Not an expert, but I believe Silverhand was a pretty "important" character in the lore and who appear in all the Cyberpunk edition. So that he appear and take an "important" part in Cyberpunk 2077 story seem quite "normal" :)

Not an expert, but I believe Silverhand was a pretty "important" character in the lore and who appear in all the Cyberpunk edition. So that he appear and take an "important" part in Cyberpunk 2077 story seem quite "normal" :)
its not what I think, just what I remember people were talking about ;) - im also no pro in cyberpunk lore, read a bit here and there but never played the table top as well tho. ^^ Had a deeper research about Alt and Melissa cause for me they are both interesting chars/backgrounds.

Last edited:
its not what I think, just what I remember people were talking about ;) - im also no pro in cyberpunk lore, read a bit here and there but never played the table top as well tho. ^^ Had a deeper research about Alt and Melissa cause for me they are both interesting chars/backgrounds - other than that my exp starts with CP77.
Anyway, I stay with my convinction that CDPR didn't "rewrite" the story (at best some dialogue lines) because "a famous actor". It would simply be a money pit to rewrite the story from scratch for an actor, who moreover must also be paid...
It could be funny if it wasn't Keanu as Johnny... I imagine that players should have found another culprit :D

I can't imagine that Keanu Reeves' involvement changed the Story drastically. Maybe he gave some additional ideas and feedback, but that's all I think.

I also don't see Johnny as the Main Character. He's important to the Story... obviously, but V is Chief. Even Johnny says that V is making the decisions and that he's only giving her/him advice.

I can't imagine that Keanu Reeves' involvement changed the Story drastically. Maybe he gave some additional ideas and feedback, but that's all I think.

I also don't see Johnny as the Main Character. He's important to the Story... obviously, but V is Chief. Even Johnny says that V is making the decisions and that he's only giving her/him advice.
I remember one of the devs mentioning that Keanu did give feedback and suggestions on the script, but they didn't really go into detail.

I didn't like that V too much agressive, negative, toxic and "ghetto childish gangster". This is spirit of new zoomer, but this annoy me.

Guest 3847602

(Silverhand the character itself) hadn't that much attention in early on promotion/trailer, or the replacement from the quad v-tec by his own bike brand arch as Jackys drive.
Neither did CIri in TW3's early promo material. Her first appearance was in The Sword of Destiny trailer from E3 2014.
In TW2's early demo, Letho didn't sound like a witcher, but like someone who's specialized in hunting witchers.
Point is, early trailers for CDPR's games are no clear indication of what the main story will be about. They try not to reveal too much too early.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have mixed opinions on V. Head canon V is the best! I like my characters to have some eccentric traits. Simple responses aren't interesting. Lots of characters are plain. Average. This is okay, I guess. Normal people act that way, but I like seeing fictional characters have some strange personality behavior. I won't use this as a negative against V. This is just a nitpick for me. A niche preference. It's fun to RP those characters. They force a reaction out of people and if they can be fun to react to. But I digressed enough...

V is cool! Mostly because I made him cool. A brawler that hacks and sneak takedowns with quickhack daemons. Combat is cool cause the freedom of option choices.

V is kind of a Mary Sue. Errrr... Gary Stu. The shit V gets away with and manages to pull off is mad. A lot of people dislike this stuff, but I suppose they are fun to play in a video game. The player feels powerful. V is badass for doing a lot of crazy shit he did. I mean he killed Adam Smasher. Stole from the Arasaka and woulda gotten away with it had he not died and the John Wick chip in his head wasn't killing him for good this time.

V got to live a crazy exciting life that most people in cyberpunk could ever understand. V hit the big league and got all the pros and cons of it. Its almost poetic in a way.

V sometimes pisses me off with some of his dialogue or possible dialogue options you can choose. V can be a real ass. Usually when you choose for him to be one. You can say its justified cause V is stressed out and dying but I still hate seeing this stuff and will avoid it like the plague.

Ignore my negative criticisms. I like V. My headcanon V. He was fun to play as and I enjoyed the game immensely. Duh.

S(he) is alright I guess. VO's sre good, but like others have said, V has preselected personality, that isn't really different from nomad to street kid.

I'm fine with that but it puts a dent on replayability.

I know CP isn't categorized as RPG anymore, but leading to release, when it was marketed as one, I had every intention of playing the game with every lifepath and have a very different experience for each of my playthoughs.

Long story short: played the game twice. The predetermined V is okay. I just wish I could have made three distinguishable V's for each lifepaths.

Some solution would be to just give V more dialogue choices to pick which would reflect his/her personality more in some scenarios. I know it takes time and money but especially with a character like that and immersive first person its important to have this ability to speak out in many ways even if some of them would be optional and wont have impact on story.

Some solution would be to just give V more dialogue choices to pick which would reflect his/her personality more in some scenarios. I know it takes time and money but especially with a character like that and immersive first person its important to have this ability to speak out in many ways even if some of them would be optional and wont have impact on story.
I don't like some, but can look past the dialogue options/voice lines I dislike.

A bit of imagination on my end. I think the thing that I am at least at peace with is how V says to Johnny in the end that all they did 'was pointless', and that she 'had enough' of 'everything', and Johnny 'most of all'. No, V, no! That was like the 'Freeman, you fool!' scream from the original 'Half-Life'. I get that some personalities could feel that way, but it is not how I felt. Johnny broke none of that stuff. If something, he made it possible to fix things (The secret ending). So... yeah, a bit more freedom would be nice. So far I don't let it spoil my gameplay, but it could be made better by letting me express how I feel.

And, there, in that scene, I am happy I didn't tell Johhny before that I would have taken a bullet for him. That would have been a tad bit dishonest.
For Jackie tho...

Voice lines always limit our imagination of how we say things but on the other side conversations with NPCs are real time so they also react to what we say while we are saying it which is great and certainly gives a lot of immersion and reality boost. Removing that would leave a huge hole, so I`m happy with voice lins even if something V will say thing slightly different from what I was anticipating.

I liked his/her relationship with Silverhand, but the biggest flaw is how CDPR decided to simply skip through early part of the game ( 6 months period delivered through cutscene) that was critical for V's character development. Very bizarre, and amateurish mistake from people typically considered as competent writers ( by video game standards)
Seeing you and Jackie form a bond, struggle to get work as two inexperienced mercs, slowly gaining recognition to start working for big time fixers, dreaming of better future, more optimistic "vibe" in earlier parts of narrative: all of that was simply skipped for no reason ( except for rushed release).
You go in two minutes from barely arriving to Night City to having once-in-lifetime opportunity of pulling crazy difficult Arasaka heist.
Personality wise, V also needed more character personality options in how you respond to npcs.
As for lifepaths, I did not expect we would get to play as 3 different main characters. But where they really dropped the ball is by not using them for stronger development and worldbuilding.
Good example of this is Dragon Age Origins. They are short, but impactful and each one showcases a different perspective of life in society based on class and race. As dwarf of lower caste you see poverty and discrimination, and your struggle to overcome it. Dwarf of royal origins is treated very differently, but you're eventually betrayed and lose everything thanks to one of your ruthless, ambitious siblings. They did a good job of showcasing how every origin has it's own drawbacks, and priviliges often comes with their own cost.
As corpo we could have seen the high life and all the luxuries available to corporate elite, but also ruthless competitiveness, backstabbing and constant treachery from your "colleagues". ( as you lose everything so someone else could get the promotion)
Nomad lifepath could have been a short story about your former family, hard life, but with strong sense of bond and companionship, but also having to deal with contempt and discrimination from the "civilized" folk. ( as your family is wiped out by one of corporate raids)
And streetkid could have showcased a life of drugs, poverty and crime, opression by city police, and daily struggle to pull yourself from it.

I don't like some, but can look past the dialogue options/voice lines I dislike.

A bit of imagination on my end. I think the thing that I am at least at peace with is how V says to Johnny in the end that all they did 'was pointless', and that she 'had enough' of 'everything', and Johnny 'most of all'. No, V, no! That was like the 'Freeman, you fool!' scream from the original 'Half-Life'. I get that some personalities could feel that way, but it is not how I felt. Johnny broke none of that stuff. If something, he made it possible to fix things (The secret ending). So... yeah, a bit more freedom would be nice. So far I don't let it spoil my gameplay, but it could be made better by letting me express how I feel.

And, there, in that scene, I am happy I didn't tell Johhny before that I would have taken a bullet for him. That would have been a tad bit dishonest.
For Jackie tho...

You can really tell the anger, frustration and fear V has in that Sequence. Having that glimpse of Hope she/he had shattered in seconds

You can really tell the anger, frustration and fear V has in that Sequence. Having that glimpse of Hope she/he had shattered in seconds

I share it all!

I'd just direct it toward a different subject. I tell ya, once I was back, Arasaka would have been reduced further to ashes. Hanako hunted down, and her head exchanged for Jackie's body. Or I would find what's left of him anyway.

I wouldn't forgive myself had I willingly snapped like that at Johnny.

6 month montage was not cut - it was never planned to be playable. I understand why they wanted to rush with main story fast, before players get bored with doing random gigs with Jackie. I think this transition is biggest in corpo path - whole sudden change from suit to merc doesnt convince me but I think streetkid and nomad path works great.

I think he/she is the loveable loser archetype. Which is a new when it comes to cRPGs. And I gonkin' love it.

I like V. i think V is a well written character with an interesting personality. I also like both voice actors a lot and I slightly prefer the female actor over the male.
V is not the most unique protagonist out there and not on my personal "best-tier" list like say Ezio from Assassin's Creed or Commander Shepard from Mass Effect, but V is definitely above average. I would say V is in my top 10 but probably not in my top 5 when it comes protagonists. Hard to say where I would place V in my list.

Only thing I don't really like is that you don't have that much control over V's morals. It's really difficult to play as a clearly good/evil person so you're always forced to play in the morally gray area.

Top Bottom