GWENT: Rogue Mage is here!

+
The white dragon was really tough. Almost a necessity to have the special card that grants you 3 bronze units in one turn because if both your rows aren't filled up quickly you basically get your entire board wiped in the last 2 moves
Bleeding + kill damaged unit (3mana) - and each tern you can remove any unit. Those freezed tokens are good only for consumes - but you can kill that engine also. Also you can use 6 mana and summon a random unit - that is the most obvious. Lots of treasures you have to play more then 1 unit per tern

RM cap.jpg

The game is fun at the beginning but in the end, it's quite easy. Evolved Melusine + Fulmar is the most disgusting combo... And it's possible to go higher.

It was at the third level but yes, I tailored the deck to see how high Melusine could go. :)
But even Grand Master level isn't that hard (for longtime Gwent players I mean). When you reach this level, you already faced all the enemies several times and you know exactly how to deal with them.
So, it's a funny little game but I'd say around 15 hours of gameplay to see it all. After, you can still try silly combos, different treasures, RNG decks, or play with maximum handicaps but it's repetitive.

Last edited:
It was at the third level but yes, I tailored the deck to see how high Melusine could go. :)
But even Grand Master level isn't that hard (for longtime Gwent players I mean). When you reach this level, you already faced all the enemies several times and you know exactly how to deal with them.
So, it's a funny little game but I'd say around 15 hours of gameplay to see it all. After, you can still try silly combos, different treasures, RNG decks, or play with maximum handicaps but it's repetitive.
What is the setup that you are using for that Melusine swarm?

I took quite a long break from Gwent but now I decided to give this a go. Oh boy it has been fun few days! I really like this. Only one of the elite battles has been super annoying. Dragon bossfight was really interesting and fun, even though my first attempt there went completely bonkers :D I think I have to do some grinding before going there next time...

I thought that since gwent exists as a separate single player game, it makes sense to make a mod that replaces the in-game gwent in The Witcher 3 with this one, GWENT - Rogue Mage

Yeah, at Adept level and a nice RNG with the artifacts and enemies. :)

Bro, you serious? Ive beaten the game on Grandmaster with like only a few attempts.

1.png

I really enjoyed Gwent Rogue Mage for like 2 days, but without any end-content, its not fun.

Enemies and their AI are the big problem. Most of the enemies arent just weak, they are down right stupid.
They screw up their own combos all the time, or they go for the wrong targets etc.
The game needs much more enemies, and better AI.

There is nothing to do when you reach Grandmaster.

Bro, you serious? Ive beaten the game on Grandmaster with like only a few attempts.

View attachment 11312144

I really enjoyed Gwent Rogue Mage for like 2 days, but without any end-content, its not fun.

Enemies and their AI are the big problem. Most of the enemies arent just weak, they are down right stupid.
They screw up their own combos all the time, or they go for the wrong targets etc.
The game needs much more enemies, and better AI.

There is nothing to do when you reach Grandmaster.
I think the game needs difficulty levels. And the current level should be average. For me, for example, the game is quite difficult. I don’t know how many winning games against the lost ones were assumed by the authors, but so far I have only received two mutagens, I constantly lose, although, it seems, I already know the characteristics of my opponents.

I think the game needs difficulty levels. And the current level should be average. For me, for example, the game is quite difficult. I don’t know how many winning games against the lost ones were assumed by the authors, but so far I have only received two mutagens, I constantly lose, although, it seems, I already know the characteristics of my opponents.

Ok I might sounded a bit arrogant here.
I also have to admit that Im a dirty Bullwark abuser, wich is as you probably know the easiest deck,
and I also did it on archmage mode. I should try GM out without archmage, however, the problem is that
the only way to increase the difficulty is by using the curses, and thats not a nice game mechanic in my opinion.

Curses only put huge disadvantages on me, blocking my rows etc, thats not what I want.
I want a smart/difficult enemy, that actually plays good combos, I dont want to lose because Im at huge disadvantages, I want to lose
because the AI plays smart - and thats certainly not what it does.

The end game is just so lackluster. There are just sooooo many OP-combos that we humans can use were the AI simply has no chance.

PS: What deck do you play and why do you lose, on what Curse-Level are you (Novice, Adept, etc.)?
Post automatically merged:

Obsidian Mirror treasure and Mirror Image spell.

Masterfull Portal is even better because it summons your units with 4 power instead of 1 like Mirror Image and Treasure does.

PS: What deck do you play and why do you lose, on what Curse-Level are you (Novice, Adept, etc.)?
I play deck Savage Fury, Melusine. I went through training with Adele. But when the game started without the ability to resurrect cards, it became noticeably more difficult. It is especially difficult for me with those opponents (Ghost, Warlord from the Hills or whatever ...), who, upon reaching some condition, mow down my ranks to zero. If such an opponent meets at the stage when the mana is low, then I lose. In other cases, a large number of junk cards that accumulate because I don’t want to throw away my good ones gets in the way.

There's an option "Archimage" (in french) you can activate. If I remember well, it gives you back mana between the battles.

Don't hesitate to delete some cards, it's often more useful than add new ones (you can sacrifice some mana to have new choices).

Some enemies can be tricky (Failed experiment or the Grand Inquisitor) but when you have found the right strategy, there are OK.
The bosses (and a lot of enemies) are weak to veiled units, so try to target them.

I think the game needs difficulty levels. And the current level should be average.

Interesting idea. I was actually thinking that too at some point. We did have Gwent difficulty levels in Witcher 3, so why not here too?

First games were super easy and there are some really stupid mistakes the enemy keeps doing, but at the point where I am now, it can also be rather challenging. I still try to avoid elite battles because I want to save my resources in hopes of reaching the big boss (so far evolving cards hasn't been worth the trouble for me) :D I took long break from any Gwent games so I have lot of catching up to do. But there has also been progress. Enemy that used to make me smashbash my keyboard is now (almost) peace of cake. Just gotta figure out the correct strategy.

I find all decks equally interesting. I started to get along with first two and now I'm trying to make hive mind work. It' sprobably my favorite so far, for whatever reason. But I still haven't found a way a solid way to make it work from start to finish. Getting there, card by card.

Overall I think the difficulty rises quite nicely while leveling up, for average player like me. So difficulty levels would be nice for totally new players and for those who seek more challenge.

Untoward
Enemies and their AI are the big problem
Yeah, like the fact that on higher difficulties you get hit with insane "RNG" that makes the AI obnoxiously powerful, especially if you don't have mana to counter the amount of points and removal it is spewing left, right and center with some decks. Games that I know I am winning I lose at the end, because the "RNG" destroys my win con in an instant and then, when I slowly creep out of it, cause I have still a decent amount of mana, there's another round of insane RNG and I am at ground zero again.

I really hope they do some patching around and add some QOL perks like for example: being able to switch at least couple of cards in your starting deck. Why tf would you have an unlocked "collection" if you can't do sh*t with it? I'm pretty sure that I haven't played with at least half of the cards, just because RNG.

And yes, I've beaten the game multiple times on GM as well. It's not that hard if you get the right Treasure and not having to deal with some of The Elites early on, but that's not the point.

I find all decks equally interesting. I started to get along with first two and now I'm trying to make hive mind work. It' sprobably my favorite so far, for whatever reason. But I still haven't found a way a solid way to make it work from start to finish. Getting there, card by card.

Well If you want to hear my input, Hive Mind is actually the best starting deck, not bullwark, unlike I said above - the reason for that is that you
dont need anything, no spells, no treasures, no flasks - all you need is your Slyzard + Dettlaff and 1 elite battle, thats it.

Once you have your Dettlaff evolved at least 1 time, you can do that Slyzard + Dettlaff combo over and over again.
I prefer to use Spell Flask (doubles your first spell), and for my spells I like to run Master Revive, Master Image, and Master Spells (Level 100),
but you dont need too!

It start like this with this 1st round opener (I used duplicate power stone to have 2 slyzards + Flask of Spells + Master Spells to get all 3 on the board at round 1 - but you dont have to do this, you can also abuse Masterfull Portal to get them on the board)

1.jpg

And it ends like this :

2.jpg

The AI cant counter it, no enemie can do anything about it, and you dont need any spells or whatever.
The only way to beat evolved Detlaff is by locking him. But then you have Master Revive, so you get him back anyways after eating him.
No counterplay for the AI.

The only hard part is to win 1 elite battle, the easiest one is probably Maxi, then the Mountain King, try to avoid Elite Priest),
but after that, its GG.

Untoward

Yeah, like the fact that on higher difficulties you get hit with insane "RNG" that makes the AI obnoxiously powerful, especially if you don't have mana to counter the amount of points and removal it is spewing left, right and center with some decks. Games that I know I am winning I lose at the end, because the "RNG" destroys my win con in an instant and then, when I slowly creep out of it, cause I have still a decent amount of mana, there's another round of insane RNG and I am at ground zero again.

I really hope they do some patching around and add some QOL perks like for example: being able to switch at least couple of cards in your starting deck. Why tf would you have an unlocked "collection" if you can't do sh*t with it? I'm pretty sure that I haven't played with at least half of the cards, just because RNG.

And yes, I've beaten the game multiple times on GM as well. It's not that hard if you get the right Treasure and not having to deal with some of The Elites early on, but that's not the point.

Well I dont concider this a fact, but Im willing to change my mind. To me, the only RNG enemie I can see is Failed Experiment,
that guy sometimes gets so lucky with his green and omega evolutions, and his red and blue boosts/damages.
Typically you dont want to waste your Odor on red or blue, you want to keep it for green or omega form.
So this guy sometimes gets a bit lucky - however, all decks are basically OP after evolution.

All the standard combos that the decks have that dont require anything and are just broken and abusable;

Bullwark has Vysogota of Curou (1 evo) + Masterfull portal (to get 3 or 4 of him onto the board) + Tridam Infantry for damage. Broken after 1 evolution. You can take Doadrick in case you get Vysogota on your hand, so you can put him back into your deck, and then abuse Masterfull Portal to spawn him 3-4, or 5, or 10 times, and then just spawm heals on Tridam.

Savage Fury has Melusine combo after 1 evolution, as you can see above or on youtube etc.

And Hive Mind has Dettlaff + Slyzard combo as I explained above.

For all of these strats no Flask, No Spell, no unlockable Unit is required except for maybe Masterfull Portal, wich you get fairly early,
way before GM. And those are just the standard combos.

You guys seem to avoid elite battles, but its the elites battles, especially the 1 evo, that unlocks all the power of your key cards.
The only key cards that needs at least 2 evolutions are Reynard Odo (Bullwark), Daguur Two Blades and Unseen Elder (Savage Fury),
and MAYBE Meve, her 1 evo isnt as strong as the other guys. But other then these, every key card basically becomes broken after 1 evo.
You want to get as many elite battles as possible, most times you can get 2-3, sometimes 4 if the map is good, and 5 can only be achieved, at least
as far as i can see, by the use of the Event, that transforms the next node into a random one, wich could be an elite battle.
Otherwise ive never seen a map where u can get 5 elite battles.

Thats my opinion after dealing with this game for a few days so far.

I do agree with you however, on beeing able to garantee certain treasures, or units in your deck.
Only way to get around that is to play Archmage Mode, and to spam Rerolles after every battle with all the energy you get.
But that kinda sucks. I wish I could modify my starting deck at least a bit. :(

Last edited:
To me, the only RNG enemie I can see is Failed Experiment
He is a main offender, but there's also the Rune spammer and he can spawn some nasty combos (like Prince Stennis at 12 str), the Mad Alchemist that can sometimes transform some of your cards into a few points trash, there's this Mill fella that always manages to steal your best card, that happens to be near at the bottom of my deck most of the times - it's really annoying and it happens way to often to be just an accident. There are perhaps couple more that are not this big of a deal, but I usually encounter one of the above on every map. Or get the Elite Priests as my first Elite battle, which usually is the end of the run as 90% of the time he has all of his good cards, and he does have some pretty nasty cards, on top of the 4 engines on the board he's starting with (what a stupid effen design this is).

Shani and Slyzard is also a broken combo, especially if you manage to get a nice card to abuse from the GY. I've just finished a run with the Shady Vendor and it was just an annihilation with 2 Shanis and a replayed Vendor pretty much every turn.

Top Bottom