A reasonable explanation for everything that went wrong?

+
They just isolated themselves in their corner and when they talk to players it's from this high horse still. It's not natural, because it wasn't resolved.
I just want to point out there were actual death threaths sent to the devs, and then soon afterwards the hacking of their engine's source code. I'm just saying their radio silence might have been a company-wide legal stance, not fully under the control of PR or whatever.

Well I for one would like to see that. Not because of hurt feelings or any similar reason but because I like CDPR. And I like their games. To hone responsability for their mistakes means that they truly understand what went wrong and want to change it. Not only that, admiting to one's mistakes shows courage and determination on transparency going forward. Because if you admit a mistake that situation can be called upon later and there's no denying it happened. It's easy for a public company to not admit to mistakes, only say they will change and when confronted with a past situation just go "there's no evidence that happened".
Cyberpunk came out broken and unfinished. Not just bugs, not just horrible performance on last Gen; incomplete systems, math mistakes in damage calculation and those sorts of things, no recognition of Vs choices, or the order player does things (this is still happening, like certain dialogues about a character V kills as if they just spoke to them),...
And all this work still to be done at the 3rd release date (first one was pre-covid and pre-next gen) from a company that calls itself (and I agree they can be) perfectionist. To be perfectionist is to go down to the detail. This game was far from done, especially on a perfectionist basis.
This means there had to be serious management problems that were never recognized with the strength they should.

I do believe CDPR got so used to being the sweet ones on PR situations they just can't come out and be, "we fucked up. This is how we are going about fixing it". They just isolated themselves in their corner and when they talk to players it's from this high horse still. It's not natural, because it wasn't resolved.

I can't watch any of these CDPR public streams (except the 1.5 patch with the CP devs). It's like they create different formats to be complementing each other/themselves.

I get where you're coming from but you're also not exactly who I had in mind when I said I was curious about this too. I never thought of you as one of the angry ones. My curiosity isn't about any particular individual in fact, it's about this group of vocal people who even after all this time can't help but crap all over CDPR and the game at any and every opportunity. Appropriate or not.

With that said, I have to ask, what would it change if they did acknowledge all of this?

Honestly, I don't think it would change a thing and actions speak louder than words. How many times have we seen companies provide apology #553 yet do nothing about it afterwards? At least I can't say CDPR hasn't taken measures to rectify the situation. Maybe not enough to everyone's liking but they've done far more than plenty of other companies have. The recent Battlefield 2042 for a recent one.

Don't get me wrong. I feel like the game's defenders, those who see absolutely no wrong in the game and the handling of it's release, as almost as problematic as the angry ones but at least the former feels like a personally healthier position. Especially after a year and a half.

Anyway, I digress. I agree about the silence but as @krashlog touched on, there are most likely a ton of reasons for their silence. I do, personally, feel like it's way past time to re-establish a better communication channel with their community but I don't think it'll happen anytime soon.

Don't get me wrong. I feel like the game's defenders, those who see absolutely no wrong in the game and the handling of it's release, as almost as problematic as the angry ones but at least the former feels like a personally healthier position. Especially after a year and a half.
Yea this is pretty much my stance too. I can kinda understand the haters tho since i was pretty disapointed by the release and game over all at release too. I did not do those kinda stuff tho but tryed too give feedback where i could too try too atleast give my point of view too CDPR. Doubt it will lead too much but its a pretty good way of getting over stuff for me. Also i like talking about it with people too try too understand other peoples views, sometimes it works and sometimes i cant really understand..

The silence is quite irritating too tbh, i get that alot has happend but it also opens the door too way too much speculation at times. Atleast they have tryed too fix most issues like @GrimReaper801 said.

I wasn't talking about gear, I was talking about hair. You had to pay with real life currency if you wanted to change your hair. Not sure why you get gear into the picture where we both know could be acquired by simply playing the game, whereas changing your hair or anything else on your character, you had to pay with real money for.

If you're saying that's different today, I say, good for them, as SE couldn't care less about their own player base's suggestions, compared to the Reds who DO care.

As for the solo part, last time I saw, you couldn't start that before reaching lvl 50. So on an MMO, which Cyberpunk 2077 isn't, you're at all times obliged to play with others to achieve anything. I'm not planning to go the way of the dodo telling of my experiences with other players on that game.
That;s nice.. but you said Covid stopped work on CP2077 and it all Covid's fault,. So I used an example of a huge expansion which great writing, voice acting in numerous languages, and a huge game developed all during covid and you try and ignore that little bit to rant about how the base game or older version played.

CDPR's story.. writing.. as well as QA all dropped the ball..

Covid didn't write all the disparate endings leaving nothing resolved with the MC
Post automatically merged:

I get where you're coming from but you're also not exactly who I had in mind when I said I was curious about this too. I never thought of you as one of the angry ones. My curiosity isn't about any particular individual in fact, it's about this group of vocal people who even after all this time can't help but crap all over CDPR and the game at any and every opportunity. Appropriate or not.

With that said, I have to ask, what would it change if they did acknowledge all of this?

Honestly, I don't think it would change a thing and actions speak louder than words. How many times have we seen companies provide apology #553 yet do nothing about it afterwards? At least I can't say CDPR hasn't taken measures to rectify the situation. Maybe not enough to everyone's liking but they've done far more than plenty of other companies have. The recent Battlefield 2042 for a recent one.

Anyway, I digress. I agree about the silence but as @krashlog touched on, there are most likely a ton of reasons for their silence. I do, personally, feel like it's way past time to re-establish a better communication channel with their community but I don't think it'll happen anytime soon.
Blizzard.. beyond all their other multitude of faults and horrendous instances.. leaned the hard way by listening to their loyal shill core telling them everything was great until the fanbase mostly moved away and now they are having to do multiple mea cuplas saying we're doing everything different to try and lure them back.

the person saying youre perfect and did everything right is never the one to listen to.. humans are flawed.. everything we do is flawed.... even the best movies in history has directors and actors who wished they had done something a little different...

jipp - the most successful mmorpg xpac ever seen which boosted FF14 over WoW as most played/successful MMO around. but yeah its impossible to deliver great work in covid-times... the only trouble endwalker brought was the server cap and que-times of hrs. Being toooo successful. Server were flooded by new accounts that much that Square Enix decided to stop selling any further digital lisences for the game by themselves and blocked the option to create accounts on the most famous server until they fixed/extanded the server capacity.
shhhhhh.. we can't let facts ruin the crazy attempt to change of topic from COVID caused CP2077's failure [...] with facts on how popular FF14 is now and how critically acclaimed it is... all made during covid. like it or hate it is it a smash success to player base and critics.. made during covid.... and yeah CP2077 has a longer development time.. but that should lessen the covid caused it all! vs supporting such a trite argument.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as a crazy idea about what went wrong with cp2077 (and i don't deny it went wrong in several ways) : they were extremely lucky in their previous games.
You can find ex-devs calling Witcher 1 "a miracle made by amateurs who didn't know what they were doing", they had the fiasco(not 100% their fault) of Witcher : Rise of the White Wolf that forced them to jump to Witcher 2 without the engine ready and in precarious economic situation and Witcher 3 needed another rewrite of engine-i see a pattern here-, tools for cinematic dialogue were not available for like 1 full year(in a game,that relies on that) and whole systems like economy who were not working till 6 months before realease (and i would not dare to say that Witcher 3 economy is something to copy).

Bioware used a similar hockey-stick development, flat with little progress and suddenly all starts to work and accelarate before shipping... tends to work till it fails.

I think one of the reasons where everything went wrong could also have to do with the game being overhyped. There was a Night City wire episode almost every week. Also, the expectations were high because of the success of the Witcher franchise. I think what some might have forgotten is that Cyberpunk is a completely different IP and a completely different genre. The trolls online don't help either with harassing developers on social media. Update 1.5 was a big help to the game and if CDPR wants Cyberpunk to succeed they need to be more involved with the community. They have been silent since 1.5 and a lot of fans wants to know what is coming next besides the expansion. This is because CDPR did say that they would add more content in-between until the release of the next expansion. This was when they announced update 1.5 and till this day we have gotten nothing extra in the game.

the person saying youre perfect and did everything right is never the one to listen to.. humans are flawed.. everything we do is flawed.... even the best movies in history has directors and actors who wished they had done something a little different...

I don't disagree with you entirely. In fact, I stand by my statement that people who see nothing wrong with the game or it's launch are just as problematic as those who spend all their time attacking it and see nothing good with it.

Simply put, perfection doesn't exist. It's something we can only strive for. This is a universal truth.

As such, if your goal is to get better at anything you really shouldn't place much stock in people who are unable or unwilling to point out your faults or weaknesses. On the other hand, you shouldn't place much stock in people who are unable to recognize your strengths or what you do right either. No one is perfect but no one is all bad either. You need positivity to reinforce yourself and you need to know your faults if you want to correct those faults.

With that said, neither "side" should be dismissed completely but they shouldn't be your primary source of feedback either.

I'm pretty certain CDPR is aware of that though.

Well I for one would like to see that. Not because of hurt feelings or any similar reason but because I like CDPR. And I like their games. To hone responsability for their mistakes means that they truly understand what went wrong and want to change it. Not only that, admiting to one's mistakes shows courage and determination on transparency going forward. Because if you admit a mistake that situation can be called upon later and there's no denying it happened. It's easy for a public company to not admit to mistakes, only say they will change and when confronted with a past situation just go "there's no evidence that happened".
Cyberpunk came out broken and unfinished. Not just bugs, not just horrible performance on last Gen; incomplete systems, math mistakes in damage calculation and those sorts of things, no recognition of Vs choices, or the order player does things (this is still happening, like certain dialogues about a character V kills as if they just spoke to them),...
And all this work still to be done at the 3rd release date (first one was pre-covid and pre-next gen) from a company that calls itself (and I agree they can be) perfectionist. To be perfectionist is to go down to the detail. This game was far from done, especially on a perfectionist basis.
This means there had to be serious management problems that were never recognized with the strength they should.

I do believe CDPR got so used to being the sweet ones on PR situations they just can't come out and be, "we fucked up. This is how we are going about fixing it". They just isolated themselves in their corner and when they talk to players it's from this high horse still. It's not natural, because it wasn't resolved.

I can't watch any of these CDPR public streams (except the 1.5 patch with the CP devs). It's like they create different formats to be complementing each other/themselves.
Wow, said 100x better than I could

Driving problem is in the streets - the corners are to sharp. The driving system is good but the city need to be made diferently. You need a bigger radius of a corner to get in a good comfortable position.

That;s nice.. but you said Covid stopped work on CP2077 and it all Covid's fault,. So I used an example of a huge expansion which great writing, voice acting in numerous languages, and a huge game developed all during covid and you try and ignore that little bit to rant about how the base game or older version played.

CDPR's story.. writing.. as well as QA all dropped the ball..

Covid didn't write all the disparate endings leaving nothing resolved with the MC
How do you find a seemingly long since released expansion of an MMO perfectly comparable with a single player game of which its first expansion is in full development swing?

Thank you for the respect and continuing the conversation. I feel though, for the reasons I listed, that anger can be a reasonable answer. And everyone is different, maybe pretending everything is fine and doing mental gymnastics to defend every single aspect of the game or company would be less healthy for a person that doesn't have the character for it. But I'm nitpicking this aspect to make a point, not as an answer to what you said, because you also recognize that atitude as maybe as bad. And that's where I think the anger still comes from. I get angry at that sometimes. At the fact that so many conversations that start by analyzing one aspect of the game, or the development of it,... end by some people coming in and saying the argument doesn't make sense because that game also does it, because covid, because... and then patch 1.5 changes things that were previously defended as they were but the new official is the new perfect version XD what bothers me is that any argument is seen as pro or counter, an attack or a defense, the same tribal radical and simplistic view that is contaminating everything.
I don't think these immediate defenders of any criticism realize the devs of the game, when they go out to read what the audiences are saying about the game, disregard them as useless feedback. What use is the opinion everything they do is perfect?

About the question, what would it have changed?
In my opinion it would change these aspects in the community. They didn't shift to a humble position and establish dialogue with the community. Not as a company like, for example, Pawel Sazco started doing after awhile. As a company they talk to investors and players run after this. I saw somewhere back in the Witcher days there was a site (reddit of the time or something) where devs were in communication with players about the patches etc... I think a lot would have changed with this. I agree with you, actions are more important than words. But maintaining a conversation, having respect for the player base is more an action than a set of words in my opinion.
On a personal/player level what would it have changed? If they had been more transparent about what the next patch had in store and more approximate date for when it would come out, I wouldn't have spent now weeks of not playing because maybe next patch is coming and I should reinstall and new character. Is it worth it finishing this character, should I put it away for now not to get tired of it because that feature will come later,... basically one of the best games I played, the actions of the company management made me have the worst kind of "relation" to interacting with it.
And to answer to the popular opinion that the audience is very mean and stupid and if they kept talking they would continue being misinterpreted I say, that is also a consequence of the lack of honing their mistakes. They brushed off responsability in that 20 second apology and 7 minute justification video and went silent. People are actually very forgiving for those who really repent, but without that and silence, there will be speculation, and maybe not the best one.

And we don't know how things are internally. And how they would have been with this more humble stance and, thusly, where the company will be in some years in each version of this multiverse ;)

your picture of SE and the FF14 community is totally outdated...
...But still accurate having seen players talking about SE...

you dont need to pay for a hair change - and you never needed to it was always free. Incorrect. When I was subbed, you could only change your hair by paying for it with real money. Even simply give it a different color. Thought that was super cheap for a person that earns millions of that game alone per month.

you seem to confound the fantasia which you can buy in a store to change your chars race which cost real money and is total optional but doesn't have anything to do with the ingame hairstyle npc feature. That also costs money.

further more SE cares a lot of their playerbase Ofcourse they do. So much so that after only 6 years they decided to honor their biggest plea; The introduction of the beloved Viera. They only forgot that the ones that asked for it, had long since given up and left the game. On a side note, rumors were going around that the timing of the Viera was a tad bit very much on par with the fact that the amount of active players at the time...was somewhat dwindling. (Lightly expressed on purpose).

- its not out of nothing that FF14 community compared to other online communities isn't toxic. Do you find that strange? The moment you no longer pay your monthly fee, 2 weeks later, SE servers kick your account out so you longer can participate on the forums, as your ingame account is link with the one on the forums and also the Mog store. Also, their penalty regiment for swearing, harassment, cheating, etc., is top-notch. So shhh, quiet about FF14 taken offline to be completely rebuild from the ground up, eh? Wouldn't want your lover to hear else your account could be banned. Should really be customary for every forum out there, wouldn't you agree?
The community loves each other and they love Yoshi-P big times. And this wouldn't be the case if either SE or the Comm would not care each other. Yoshi loves the community because it pays him money... for the flimsiest little thing. Even recoloring your hair. Not sure about the other way around, though.

for the main campaign - the mainstory is written and progged for Solo-Play with NPCs since Heavens Ward (3x Xpacs before Endwalker) - But to progress to the next story you needed to play with others.
while your call of experience with lvl 50 is nearly a ten years old cap from A Realm Reborn. Release date Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn. So much for your credibility...
I never used a single lvl potion, played all duties, fates, and alliances with others, and at no time did a pop-up or any other notification popped up telling me I can do all those things on my own with other NPCs.

Ten years ago has nothing to do with the current state of the game - a LOT has changed for the better which results in its current image being the most played, most loved MMO today. Really don't get how you think it's normal to compare an MMO (with a monthly fee even), with a single player game that you only pay for once...
In no offense - but your calls clearly don't show either the games state nor the bond between SE and their comm. I never said my "calls" showed the game's state or the bond between SE and their player base, which I'm 100% sure is strictly business. As you'll never receive a single second downtime compensation, and immediately kicked off the forums after 2 weeks no fees paid, is proof enough.

sad part of your wiki is... everything you said is totally irrelevant if it comes to judge Endwalker in its current state. ^^

Comparing an expansion of an MMO with a fully flexed FP shooter RPG, is just hilariously ridiculous.
nobody compared those games tho? it was just said that covid can't be the main reason for CPs legendary launch, if other companies were able to deliver gold content in the same time. thats all. not more not less.

and no matter what you say Endwalker release was a big success, one of the biggest ever in the MMO history, while CPs launch was what everybody knows by themselves: not that great... facts are facts, if people like it or not.

hilariously ridiculous here is judging about a game with outdated information and experience, while not being a part of the current comm - but thinking to know everything about SE and their playerbase. (which already is proofed as wrong)

Last edited:
nobody compared those games tho? it was just said that covid can't be the main reason for CPs legendary launch, if other companies were able to deliver gold content in the same time. thats all. not more not less.

and no matter what you say Endwalker release was a big success, one of the biggest ever in the MMO history, while CPs launch was what everybody knows by themselves: not that great... facts are facts, if people like it or not.

hilariously ridiculous here is judging about a game with outdated information and experience, while not being a part of the current comm - but thinking to know everything about SE and their playerbase. (which already is proofed as wrong)
Just as ignoring the fact FF14 first launch in 2010 was even worse. So much so it had to be taken offline and rebuild from the ground up only to be relaunched no sooner then a whopping 3 years later. But hey, That is all passed down and forgotten, right? The almighty His Majesty Yoshi P. can't possibly do anything wrong.

For the Reds, Cyberpunk's launch is a thing of the past. As for me. They are working towards the future. If you want to keep dwelling in the past, be my guest. it doesn't concern me.

To bring light to the conversation, the most important thing a gaming community can do with the game developers is be vocal in a respectful way. One of the reports that came out right now is about Destiny 2 players feeling ignored by Bungie. It turns out that Bungie purposely chose to stop communicating because they are being harassed and threatened by some toxic players. It ends up punishing the rest of the community that cares. CDPR hasn't been very vocal either and I wouldn't be surprised if they have experience something similar. It's a shame that they haven't been too vocal. A lot of us feel mislead because CDPR has said one thing and done another. I hope they continue to work on Cyberpunk because there is nothing else like it. The only other thing that comes close to it is Blade Runner.

To bring light to the conversation, the most important thing a gaming community can do with the game developers is be vocal in a respectful way. One of the reports that came out right now is about Destiny 2 players feeling ignored by Bungie. It turns out that Bungie purposely chose to stop communicating because they are being harassed and threatened by some toxic players. It ends up punishing the rest of the community that cares. CDPR hasn't been very vocal either and I wouldn't be surprised if they have experience something similar. It's a shame that they haven't been too vocal. A lot of us feel mislead because CDPR has said one thing and done another. I hope they continue to work on Cyberpunk because there is nothing else like it. The only other thing that comes close to it is Blade Runner.
Toxic humans ruin it for the rest of us.

Thank you for the respect and continuing the conversation.

No need for thanks, it's a very interesting conversation and very few people are actually able to properly voice and discuss their stance without falling into the pitfalls of one side or another.

This is refreshing is what it is.

I feel though, for the reasons I listed, that anger can be a reasonable answer. And everyone is different, maybe pretending everything is fine and doing mental gymnastics to defend every single aspect of the game or company would be less healthy for a person that doesn't have the character for it. But I'm nitpicking this aspect to make a point, not as an answer to what you said, because you also recognize that atitude as maybe as bad. And that's where I think the anger still comes from. I get angry at that sometimes. At the fact that so many conversations that start by analyzing one aspect of the game, or the development of it,... end by some people coming in and saying the argument doesn't make sense because that game also does it, because covid, because... and then patch 1.5 changes things that were previously defended as they were but the new official is the new perfect version XD what bothers me is that any argument is seen as pro or counter, an attack or a defense, the same tribal radical and simplistic view that is contaminating everything.
I don't think these immediate defenders of any criticism realize the devs of the game, when they go out to read what the audiences are saying about the game, disregard them as useless feedback. What use is the opinion everything they do is perfect?

While I agree with almost 100% of this, I want to address two very minor point.

First, clarifying my position. I do believe that people who fall squarely into the definition of "fanboyism" (I hate the term but it is what it is and a very accurate depiction of some) are absolutely as detrimental as the "haters" (another term I hate). To the game and the developers. When I say I think one is "better" than the other, I mean that purely from an individual standpoint - for their own good. Being very angry over a video game for such a long time isn't mentally healthy behavior and I can't help but assume it translates into every aspect of their lives too and being angry at everything is just bad for you.

Just to re-iterate, I don't think you fall within that category at all.

Secondly, as much as I agree with you that there are people who go to great lengths to protect the game and shut down any conversation about the negative points... The reverse is true too. There are plenty who go to absurd lengths to attack the game and turn every conversation into "the game is crap and so is CDPR". Both are equally annoying in my mind. Neither is objective.

With that said, I believe it's "normal". In a "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" kind of way. One cannot exist without the other I presume.

About the question, what would it have changed?
In my opinion it would change these aspects in the community. They didn't shift to a humble position and establish dialogue with the community. Not as a company like, for example, Pawel Sazco started doing after awhile. As a company they talk to investors and players run after this. I saw somewhere back in the Witcher days there was a site (reddit of the time or something) where devs were in communication with players about the patches etc... I think a lot would have changed with this. I agree with you, actions are more important than words. But maintaining a conversation, having respect for the player base is more an action than a set of words in my opinion.

I understand your position and I, at least, partially agree with it but I have to wonder, would it really reflect on the community? My experiences point to the contrary. I do believe it would reflect on those who have been following CDPR for a long-time but the "newcomers" for lack of a better word.... I don't think it would change anything for them. At least, not in my experience.

On a personal/player level what would it have changed? If they had been more transparent about what the next patch had in store and more approximate date for when it would come out, I wouldn't have spent now weeks of not playing because maybe next patch is coming and I should reinstall and new character. Is it worth it finishing this character, should I put it away for now not to get tired of it because that feature will come later,... basically one of the best games I played, the actions of the company management made me have the worst kind of "relation" to interacting with it.

Well, that's another topic entirely. I do agree that at this point, it's probably time to open up communication channels more and see how it goes. Clear the air so to speak. Be a bit pro-active instead of reactive. As you mention below though, none of us has any clue as to the internal happenings at CDPR, and as someone with very intimate knowledge of the inner workings of corporate structures, I find it hard to blame them at this point in time.

And to answer to the popular opinion that the audience is very mean and stupid and if they kept talking they would continue being misinterpreted I say, that is also a consequence of the lack of honing their mistakes. They brushed off responsability in that 20 second apology and 7 minute justification video and went silent. People are actually very forgiving for those who really repent, but without that and silence, there will be speculation, and maybe not the best one.

I don't think most people consider the audience to be stupid but I do think the audience is mean. More specifically, I think the internet is mean and sometimes just plain evil. A lot of people turn into fucking animals because anonymity provides them with this sense of security and somehow invalidates common sense and decency for them.

I'm partially inclined to agree they brushed off responsibility with the apology video. The fact they made the video at all acknowledges some degree of responsibility but I do feel like it was somewhat dismissive and didn't accurately picture how bad things were for many, especially on old-gen consoles. Few companies bother with apologizing and fewer actually do anything about it.

I'll take the currently debated FF14 as an example. It's launch was abysmal. The team behind it clearly didn't understand what people wanted out of an MMO. At all. It was just a badly designed game that looked good. SE, who isn't exactly in the habit of apologizing, offered their apologies and some compensation but then also turned around and changed the team in charge and rebuilt the game and eventually transformed it into the most successful MMO since 2020.

That's the perfect scenario - both an apology coupled with actions. Which I'd argue CDPR did. Again, maybe not to everyone's liking (you can't please everyone anyway) but there was an apology and the subsequent actions proved they were serious about it wouldn't you agree? If not, I'm curious, is there a point where CDPR could've done enough for you to accept and move on from their lack of a "proper" apology?

CDPR hasn't been very vocal either and I wouldn't be surprised if they have experience something similar.

Oooh, they have. That's fact. Probably still happening in fact.

Top Bottom