Renfri, the New Queen of Gwent

+
Every deck I've played against tonight is a Renfri deck. Vampires..Renfri, NR...Renfri, Pirates...Renfri. That's all I see and it's not limited to just tonight - this has been happening all season. They're called Curses and Blessings but let's be honest, they're both Blessings and can win a game for a sub-par or disadvantaged deck instantly. This card has dominated the meta this season like no other single card before it. There have been worse metas before but this has been the most tedious one I've had to endure.
Ally Renfri with Runemage, Magic Compass and any of the usual NG shenanigans and now you're not just playing someone with 1 leader but now it's someone with 2 leaders, or 3 or even 4 with a choice of 5 Blessings and Curses. What kind of play testing allowed this card to exist in it's current format?

DRK3

Forum veteran
The topic title its a punch in my face.

@DRK3 could you change it? Something like "renfri, the New Queen of meta"

I understand. Unfortunately, what happened is close to what i predicted:
Renfri would dominate the meta, but very few of her meme potential will be explored in these metadecks, instead it's just used for instant, constant value.

Still, i will change the thread name, i agree it makes sense to change it.

Last edited:
I have another idea how to nerve Renfri:
leave effects of blessings and curses more or less like they are, but when she is deployed the effects of curses will be given to your opponent as benefits.

e.g. you can chose which benefit your opponent will get, for example: "CURSE: the strengh of the lowest unit of your opponent is set to 12" or "CURSE: your opponent plays the lowest bronze card from his deck"

that would make curses really a curse and also makes renfri less powerful
and maybe it would be even fun

Last edited:
Still, there won’t be many players going with the potentials of nice high-prov specials. I don’t get where Renfris ´min of 25 units´ is a bad thing. It’s just another kind of game-style. Seriously I can only assume there was literally no time for testing the consequences or the curse should’ve always been as Gemueseknolle suggested and it’s currently a bug. xD

i usually never ever ever ever rope turns, but Renfri players deserve it. They should enjoy their game as little as i do.
well waiting for her to be patched.

Last edited:
Final stage: Insta-Forfeit whenever the opponent plays Renfri or Renfris Gang.
Guess I won't hold on to my current 3rd Rank this season. :'D
well i know its final os the season, but i made a deck that its not toxic and can beat a lof of renfri players.

Yes, if its NG playing multiple renfris and my opponent manage to play it multiple times its impossible. But if the opponent plays only one time its easy to beat it
Post automatically merged:

i usually never ever ever ever grope turns, but Renfri players deserve it. They should enjoy their game as little as i do.
well waiting for her to be patched.
i was writing the other post when you played.

Can you beleve i was using this non refri deck (its not made for beat renfri, its only a competitive deck without renfri) and one opponent using renfri goes with card disvantage in r3 and he starts to rope.

I thought "you are the one using this toxic shit and are roping, fuck off"

DRK3

Forum veteran
Well, Renfri is definitely overtuned and needs a really strong nerf (less than a week away now, right?)

But what really frustrates me are the metadecks - if a player used a Renfri deck but with many cards i hadnt seen used in Renfri decks i would be ok, but no, its the same 5 or 6 Renfri decks repeated until you cant take it anymore... :giveup:

And when i say 5 or 6 im being generous, the ST and NG have 2 "different" Renfri metadecks but they rely so much on the same cards that i should have counted the as one...

@DRK3 : yes, of course. if someone plays a new creative renfri deck, i even give GG. but sadly never happens.

@EduFerraz: yes, i also have competitive decks without renfri or without that cat, that can beat renfri (i think best is ice-monster with high consume for it btw) but still so frustrating, that it is usually only a chance to defeat them: if i draw cards badly at beginning, it is likely that i lose.

the worst thing is, that the opponent doesnt need any skill at all, plays like a stupid mechanic clockwork his predfined order, while i really have a hard time to outsmart those decks.

well, enough of ranting. hope next week it should be over.

My rank is only 4 and level 49 (if im a reading it correct, i havent played for more than a few weeks ) i guess its not a real problem just annoying, I just miss when i played in the beginning people used all kind of cards! Now they all have the same decks, its getting to easy ? I have tried to throw a lot of games just so i could fall in rank, but i dont think it works like that.
so i am just looking for a way to play aganst people who plays with more random cards, insteas of people who have the same card decks. ( if that makes any sense)
Post automatically merged:

He probably had 13 or something but just didnt play them, most of them only play those summon card and then renfri and triss, then they just play bombs and ice and that. in any way it was and is still annoying. Do you know of any way where i can play gwent the way it was in the beginning or do i have to make a new account ?
Mate, if you're just playing for fun, you could try "training against player". People are more relaxed there and testing various own decks sometimes. So, it's not too repetitive. The skill level is also comfortable - you will rarely see pro players there.

Also, CDPR is bringing back Arena soon!
...or it is just me daydreaming and they aren't :coolstory: :giveup:

Final stage: Insta-Forfeit whenever the opponent plays Renfri or Renfris Gang.
Guess I won't hold on to my current 3rd Rank this season. :'D
That is Exactly what i have been doing! especially against NG ! Some times i drop even lower than just forfeit, i will play the game BUT very slowly. So i play my turns but each time i wait until the times almost runs out, then i play my card. I then continue to play the rounds. Most of the times they just forfeit and i win other times i still win, and sometimes i still loose

Renfri, Renfri's Gang, Renfri, Renfri's Gang,Renfri, Renfri's Gang, ... over and over and over again.
Reminds me of that Far Cry 3 Scene with Vaas' monologue about insanity. Sick.

Anyone knows when is the patch day?
Isn't it tomorrow (tuesday), as usual ?

I can't wait to see Renfri nerfed a bit and have a little space back for meme decks.
I think I've never hated a card so much although she's meant to be fun. Gwent : The Renfri Card Game needs to end.

It's time to change the topic title again. "Renfri, the new wimp of Gwent" :ROFLMAO:
Not once have I seen it being played today. :LOL:

Top Bottom