You think we'll get any real melee changes?

+
I've been doing a full Katana/mantis blade build lately and it's sorta been atrocious at times. The heavy attack execution animation is still a huge problem after all this time since release so it encourages just spamming the light attack. Because of this the melee combat falls flat really hard, aside from those very specific moments where I get lovely crits from a little bit too far for the animation to start and I get to slice people up one after the other instead of having to wait for a really long and buggy animation. Sometimes the animation even glitches with sandevistan and i'm the only one slowed and stuck in the anim while enemies shoot me up. Mantis blades' coolest feature; the lunging heavy attack is just really awful to use because of how it basically always does the long, awful animation every single time you use it.

So, do you guys think they'll fix melee combat (maybe even overhaul the system) by the time we get the next major update or even the DLC? I'm really hoping they add things like deflecting some bullets with the katana or some kind of new moveset to the melee weapons. It's just sorta sad atm and has a lot of room for improvement.

I never be a real melee fan, but I already see some video from members which enjoy melee fights (katanas in this case).
Posted by @Hayte. It's quite impressive :D
Anyway, about bugs, issues, whatever, the best is directly to report it to the support ;)

I never be a real melee fan, but I already see some video from members which enjoy melee fights (katanas in this case).
Posted by @Hayte. It's quite impressive :D
Anyway, about bugs, issues, whatever, the best is directly to report it to the support ;)
Damm I enjoy 1st person combat, feels so visceral... but I do hope OP is correct and it gets some upgrades/more polish

Ya i wish there were more options then fast/heavy swings and never got why we cant deflect bullets but can stop time? Also differance between melee and blade is kinda iffy. The knife toss is probably the most original thing in the game tho, even if its kinda underpowered untill high level.

Ya i wish there were more options then fast/heavy swings and never got why we cant deflect bullets but can stop time?
You can "slowing" time, it's not really the same as stop time :)
Slowing time "could" make sense at some point. In fact, it increase your perception of your environment, so all the things around you seem to go slower (for those who know, like in Wanted, the movie).
But a bullet which travel faster than sound, even by slowing time by 50%, still travel damn (too) fast...
It's super power that V need to achieve that, and even :D

Ya i wish there were more options then fast/heavy swings and never got why we cant deflect bullets but can stop time? Also differance between melee and blade is kinda iffy. The knife toss is probably the most original thing in the game tho, even if its kinda underpowered untill high level.
Yeah i'm hoping the rest of the blades/melee weapons get a nice uplift like throwing knives did. It took a long time but they are pretty fun to use in a pinch and for stealth now. Throwing knives were one of my biggest disappointments with the game on launch. Also I know the only reason we have slow time is because the original tabletop game had reflex boosters as well and it thankfully ended up in 2077, even if it's a bit awkward to use at times.
That video is pretty cool, even though it's modded. Katanas with a nice lunge like the mantis blades or better dodging and such would be really fun and challenging to get good at using.

You can "slowing" time, it's not really the same as stop time :)
Slowing time "could" make sense at some point. In fact, it increase your perception of your environment, so all the things around you seem to go slower (for those who know, like in Wanted, the movie).
But a bullet which travel faster than sound, even by slowing time by 50%, still travel damn (too) fast...
It's super power that V need to achieve that, and even :D
Yea thats kinda ture but at the same time when i use my sandevistan that only slows 25% im invincible. Nothing seems too hit and i can easily dodge bullets and move across a room before they can do anything. Its way too much for such a low % speed increase. i dont get how V cant deflect bullets with that kinda perception change and speed. With guns its way worse since you dont shoot faster so the agp betveen shots feels like ages -.-

That video is pretty cool, even though it's modded. Katanas with a nice lunge like the mantis blades or better dodging and such would be really fun and challenging to get good at using.
From memories, the "only" mod is for keeping movement speed when you touch the ground (which make very long jumps possible). Everything else is vanilla, like health regeneration, slowing time, damages,...
Yea thats kinda ture but at the same time when i use my sandevistan that only slows 25% im invincible. Nothing seems too hit and i can easily dodge bullets and move across a room before they can do anything. Its way too much for such a low % speed increase. i dont get how V cant deflect bullets with that kinda perception change and speed. With guns its way worse since you dont shoot faster so the agp betveen shots feels like ages -.-
Yeah, but it's a game. For me, deflecting bullets would be a little bit too much "super human", unlike dodging which seem quite fine :D

Anyway, 1.5 was the update which brought the most of changes/improvements to the gameplay since release, so maybe we will see even more in the next one, who know :)

I've been doing a full Katana/mantis blade build lately and it's sorta been atrocious at times. The heavy attack execution animation is still a huge problem after all this time since release so it encourages just spamming the light attack. Because of this the melee combat falls flat really hard, aside from those very specific moments where I get lovely crits from a little bit too far for the animation to start and I get to slice people up one after the other instead of having to wait for a really long and buggy animation. Sometimes the animation even glitches with sandevistan and i'm the only one slowed and stuck in the anim while enemies shoot me up. Mantis blades' coolest feature; the lunging heavy attack is just really awful to use because of how it basically always does the long, awful animation every single time you use it.

So, do you guys think they'll fix melee combat (maybe even overhaul the system) by the time we get the next major update or even the DLC? I'm really hoping they add things like deflecting some bullets with the katana or some kind of new moveset to the melee weapons. It's just sorta sad atm and has a lot of room for improvement.
It doesn't seem like they will do much to the melee combat only cause there still r so many other bugs that r more critical that still need patches

Yeah i'm hoping the rest of the blades/melee weapons get a nice uplift like throwing knives did. It took a long time but they are pretty fun to use in a pinch and for stealth now. Throwing knives were one of my biggest disappointments with the game on launch. Also I know the only reason we have slow time is because the original tabletop game had reflex boosters as well and it thankfully ended up in 2077, even if it's a bit awkward to use at times.

Sorry that video is out of date now. This is what it looks like unmodded:

Most of the criticisms in the OP are valid nevertheless. The difference in damage between a normal/combo attack and a strong attack is 1 to 2 orders of magnitude but the strong attack is not slow or costly enough (in stamina terms) to deter strong attack spamming. If not for legendary short circuit, I would not use normal attacks at all. Their only purpose is crit procs.

Mantis blades are a bit of a mess. They have awful hitboxes and you can lunge at someone dead on but if there is any elevation difference at all, you will straight up whiff. I can't duel Maxtac like in the video above using Mantis Blades because I find the hit detection so flakey.

Last edited:
It ain't Warframe, is it? :) - nor does it do what Destiny does: Select a blade, and switch to third-person... [Or: Did I miss something?] :)

Melee isn't... bad, per se. But theres only like 2 different attacks. Three, if you count a defensive attack. This is more than guns, since guns only have a single attack (their basic shot). There is no depth to speak of in the combat.

I dont know if it can be any better without considerable revamps, and those might make things worse. Just like most of the game, there is not much going on below surface.

Melee in FPS is never really deep. When bullets are flying around you, you're not going to waste any time doing any fancy triple moveset combos.
It has to very fast paced, but precise and engaging, a.k.a make every swing count.
Despite CDPR's "blah-blah-blah-we've learned so much from the Witcher"... they've repeated pretty much the same mistakes.
How to fix it ( for the potential sequel):
- Enemies need to have more evasive and dynamic movement . Even zombies in Dying light will sway and duck instead of just rushing and standing infront of you, while you keep pommeling them.
- Stamina management has to be "tight". Like in Witcher, it's too easy to just spam light attacks and stagger lock enemies ( also making heavy attacks useless)
- Hitboxes ( especially with unarmed) feel inprecise, lack of hitstop, hit feedback has a delayed response
- Stamina recovery mechanic through parry and precise combo timing
- Additional attacks could have been added, few basic ones ( leap attack, AoE attack, etc) and one or two unique ones for each weapon type

A choke and throw would be great for melee builds or a simple neck snap at the throat. I'm still having fun either way punching with guerilla arms.

Top Bottom