I was hoping the DLC story wasn't with Silverhand

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Keanu Reeves has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the game was flat out UNFINISHED at launch. It took an additional two years to get it all hammered out and basically some of it was, "Yeah, there's no way this can run on a PS4."

but he's dealing with a budget that could've been spent on CONTENTS instead of putting his face on a 3d model.

Keanu Reeves has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the game was flat out UNFINISHED at launch. It took an additional two years to get it all hammered out and basically some of it was, "Yeah, there's no way this can run on a PS4."
Weeeell, I have a sneaking suspicion, that the game experienced some sort of re-write - and perhaps not in a small way due to being able to get Keanu on board.
Actually, suspicion? Scratch that, I remember devs outright confirming, that Silverhand's part was largely increased after they managed to get a famous actor on board. Of course, they won't explicitly admit that that was the reason they weren't able to finish everything in time - and perhaps it really wasn't. But still.

Weeeell, I have a sneaking suspicion, that the game experienced some sort of re-write - and perhaps not in a small way due to being able to get Keanu on board.
Actually, suspicion? Scratch that, I remember devs outright confirming, that Silverhand's part was largely increased after they managed to get a famous actor on board. Of course, they won't explicitly admit that that was the reason they weren't able to finish everything in time - and perhaps it really wasn't. But still.
Reeves and marketing, this was the main destination of the budget according to the result: after about two years, we can't even open the map or the inventory without see frame rate collapse -_-'

Maybe I'm wrong, but if I remember, they "confirmed" that Keanu really liked the character and because of that, they add more dialogue lines, more Johnny's appearances. So I suspect they "only" added dialogues in GIGs, during some quests but the "main" story didn't change or almost. So we have Keanu instead of Johnny with an unknow face...
But hey, as we say, if something goes wrong, it's always Johnny's fault :giggle:

I would be interested to know which implications are "clear" :)
Well, for example, the mere fact that both Hellman and Victor tell V that V's days are numbered - only for V to (potentially) get additional six month at least. That's not even an implication, it's literally what happens in the story. If it can be done once, it can, potentially, be done again.
And the fact that there are commercials about new experimental treatment of DNA degradation, that sounds suspiciously similar to what V supposedly has.
Not to mention that the nature of that condition - as in, changes in DNA, that would "cause body to attack mind" or something - can be, theoretically "cured" by replacing the affected tissues with synthetics. The full body conversion, if necessary.
That's outside of the fact that if V sells their soul, there is always a chance of it ending in some body - either by chance or as part of Arasaka's experiments.
So yeah, potentially, there are multiple ways.
Maybe I'm wrong, but if I remember, they "confirmed" that Keanu really liked the character and because of that, they add more dialogue lines, more Johnny's appearances. So I suspect they "only" added dialogues in GIGs, during some quests but the "main" story didn't change or almost. So we have Keanu instead of Johnny with an unknow face...
Yeah, that's most likely the case.

Except, the rewrites is having Keanu adding running commentary to other side quests. The story was always Johnny Silverhand taking over V's body.

Which does nothing to all the glitches and stories.

but he's dealing with a budget that could've been spent on CONTENTS instead of putting his face on a 3d model.

The game never ran out of money. It was subsidized by the frigging POLISH GOVERNMENT at one point as a national art piece.

Notably, I think it was for multiplayer so they got screwed.

Last edited:
Except, the rewrites is having Keanu adding running commentary to other side quests. The story was always Johnny Silverhand taking over V's body.
Don't know about "always", in 2018 presentation, Johnny is mentioned on the radio with a line like "He hasn't been around in the last year" - so either Arasaka have just randomly yoinked famous musician to put his soul on a relic for some reason or people in Night City have a terrible memory and have kinda forgotten about a huge explosion in the heart of the city.

Guest 3847602

Don't know about "always", in 2018 presentation...
Early presentations are not meat to tell you too much about the main plot.
There was no mention of Ciri whatsoever in TW3 early presentations, either. Only monster-slaying, war-ravaged lands and the Wild Hunt.
It's funny, but 7 years ago people used to make the same complaints about TW3 - it's not Geralt's story, it's Ciri's story.

It was a "trailer" so obviously, they avoid any big spoiler.
And Patrick Miles said (on the last anniversay stream) that they keep the secret as much as possible as long as possible, even Mike Pondsmith was not aware about Keanu :)
(useless to remind that Johnny is an important character and who appeared in each version (or almost) of Cyberpunk since ever... Let's say that Cyberpunk without Johnny, it's like Star Wars without Luke Skywalker...)
Arasaka have just randomly yoinked famous musician to put his soul on a relic for some reason
Yorinobu put Johnny on the Relic, you can read a message from Yorinobu to Netwatch in the Konpeki ;)
Johnny the guy that Yorinobu shares goals...
(As a gift for Netwatch. I guess Netwatch would also want to contact Alt by using Johnny).

Last edited:
Early presentations are not meat to tell you too much about the main plot.
There was no mention of Ciri whatsoever in TW3 early presentations, either. Only monster-slaying, war-ravaged lands and the Wild Hunt.
It's funny, but 7 years ago people used to make the same complaints about TW3 - it's not Geralt's story, it's Ciri's story.
First of all, yeah, duh, that's the whole point and brilliance of Witcher 3 - a traditional "chosen one" story through the eyes of a side-kick. If people were too stupid to get it 7 years ago, well, that's on them. And even then, Ciri is nowhere NEAR as prominent in W3, compared to Johnny in CP 20777.
Second of all, it's disingenuous to compare two minute and a half trailers to a 50 minute presentation - obviously, one is going to be much more condensed.
But thirdly, and most importantly, none of this contradicts what was shown in the released game. It doesn't tell anything about Ciri? So what? Not telling something doesn't mean that this something isn't going to be in a release version.
Compare what you've shown to this:
It's from 8:35, in case the timestamp won't work.
"Remember the man, the myth Johnny Silverhand? Been a year since he went on his last ride"
Now, This IS a direct contradiction. That means that Johnny was either still alive or at least presumed to be alive. That means that none of the "Nuke Arasaka Headquaters" has happen. And consequentially, that means that he wasn't put on a relic, at least not in that timeframe.
So yeah, that's not just "not telling too much about the plot" - it's having an entirely different plot all together.

Last edited:
A lack of development budget isn't why Cyberpunk 2077 was released in the state that it was. There's this quote: “No matter how great the talent or efforts, some things just take time. You can't produce a baby in one month by getting nine women pregnant.”

Guest 3847602

never read or heard anything like it
It's not exactly easy to find old threads, but I did find something:
https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...n-about-geralt-not-ciri-spoilers.46894/page-3
But, there was a general sentiment among many old fans that TW3 revolves too much around Ciri and other book characters to the point of neglecting Geralt.
https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...ther-reason-why-tw2-is-superior-to-tw3.66892/
So yeah, that's not just "not telling too much about the plot" - it's having an entirely different plot all together.
And I'll repeat again -presentations are not excerpts from the full game. It's not as if someone just loaded the save from the most current build.
Remember the first part of TW3's E3 demo? Novigrad and Dijkstra.
Do you remember playing that part? No you don't.
Do you think this is a rewrite?
Or TW2's demo? When Letho delivers the line that makes no sense when you consider his background and his role in the game?

Demos are just that - purpose-build presentations meant to show you general feeling of the game.

Remember the first part of TW3's E3 demo? Novigrad and Dijkstra.
Oh, so now we DO have mentions of Ciri in Witcher's presentation. Good to know.
And that doesn't change the overall point at all, because 90% of that presentation was in the released game. Dijkstra's missing quest (which was probably cut and not rewritten) doesn't greatly change the overall story. Comments about Silverhands whereabouts, though? Yeah, they definitely do.
Also, I don't get what line do you mean about Witcher 2, if you mean the time stamped one, then he says the same in the released version as well:
Like, it's literally the same dialogue.

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

Also, I don't get what line do you mean about Witcher 2, if you mean the time stamped one, than he says the same in the released version as well:
My bad, I do remember some other presentation that made him look like witcher-hunter.
which was probably cut and not rewritten
It's neither. The only purpose is to provide context. What is Geralt doing in the middle of the swamp? That's it. There were plenty of rewrites, this isn't one of them.
Demo version is not actual game.
As for Cybeprunk's demo and Stan (the man) - I suspect the only reason this line was included was to namedrop Johnny Silverhand (whom they already knew will be a major character in the game) without spoiling anything significant about the story.
Oh, so now we DO have mentions of Ciri in Witcher's presentation. Good to know.
Yup, this was the first mention. At E3 2014.
The other three I posted are older. First one was 1 year older. First info about TW3 were revealed in early 2013. So, that makes 1.5 years of interviews, trailers and articles without any mention of Ciri.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for Cybeprunk's demo and Stan (the man) - I suspect the only reason this line was included was to namedrop Johnny Silverhand (whom they already knew will be a major character in the game) without spoiling anything significant about the story.
Yeah, absolutely. So major, in fact, that they've got the dates wrong, implied that he is somewhere out there, instead of being dead for 50 years, and never mentioned his terrorist status. They clearly planned it all along. Guess something like "50 years ago, notorious terrorist, rocker-boy Johnny Silverhand committed an attack..." would spoil the plot in a massive way.
And CDPR didn't want to spoil their story. That's why they didn't include a death of a significant story character in one of their trailers... Right?
Demo version is not actual game.
That's literally what a demo should be. A demonstration of an actual game. Sure, some things are bound to change, but not that significantly.
Post automatically merged:

The other three I posted are older. First one was 1 year older. First info about TW3 were revealed in early 2013. So, that makes 1.5 years of interviews, trailers and articles without any mention of Ciri.
Yeah, and none of them were demos. They were pre-rendered trailers, 1:30 each, targeted at people who've probably heard the word "Witcher" for the first time - and none of them said anything significant about story at all.
Again, the rough equivalent of the thing I'm talking about would be someone in the demo dropping the line "Eredin? Yeah, he got killed around a year ago, haven't heard about him since". This is the level of diversion we are talking about.

Last edited:
Yup, this was the first mention. At E3 2014.
Not fair, Ciri is sexy and nice :giggle:
I think, there is no mention of the Reapers in the Mass Effect trailer, I suspect they rewrited the story to add them just before the release (Saren wasn't a big enough threat^^)
--------
Funny thing, if there is a sequel in which V survive, great chances that Johnny survive and appear too :D

Guest 3847602

So major, in fact, that they've got the dates wrong, implied that he is somewhere out there, instead of being dead for 50 years, and never mentioned his terrorist status.
Night City Holocaust is not CDPR's invention. Which, I believe, reinforces the point that this short mention of Johnny Silverhand was not meant to be taken that seriously. As some big hint of what his role in the story is supposed to be.
That's why they didn't include a death of a significant story character in one of their trailers... Right?
Calling Jackie "significant story character" is... debatable. He's introductory character (like Gorion in BG or Duncan in DA:O) that bites the dust and then the game truly begins.
Post automatically merged:

and none of them said anything significant about story at all.
What did Cyberpunk's demo say about the story that is significant? That there's gonna be the heist? Anything else?
Why do you think that Ciri's name was kept hidden for so long during TW3's marketing? Wild Hunt wasn't. Vesemir wasn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no 'cure'. None! it's done, it's V's fate (and ours). Let's move on please.

It's why I chose becoming an Engram beyond the Blackwall with Alt. It's immortality even if you are a digital ghost.

Night City Holocaust is not CDPR's invention. Which, I believe, reinforces the point that this short mention of Johnny Silverhand was not meant to be taken that seriously. As some big hint of what his role in the story is supposed to be.

Calling Jackie "significant story character" is... debatable. He's introductory character (like Gorion in BG or Duncan in DA:O) that bites the dust and then the game truly begins.

To be fair, Jackie's role is probably third in story importance. His shadow hangs over the game after his death far more than, say, Duncan.

And Duncan is a better example of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom