Explore the world or continue V's story?

+
As much as I want them to find a miracle cure, I don't know if it fits with the theme either. CDPR says their committed to the future of the ip. Personally, I think it would be nice to explore the universe a bit more instead of such a personal story. What do you think. It would be nice to explore thus universe without a ticking time bomb in your head though.

I prefer explore the side quest and then I think I am more powerful than enemys, I continue to story.

All evidence, so far, points to the fact that this is V's first and final adventure. So no, I don't think well get to explore more of the universe alongside or as V. I'd like to but I don't think its gonna happen.

Then again, expansion hasn't even come out yet and many things can happen between now and then as well as after expansion is released.

You can hope which is fine, there's a saying here in Romania which goes like "hope dies last", so for now be patient and wait.

"EXPLORE THE WORLD OR CONTINUE V'S STORY?"

Think anyone can tell a story in Cyberpunk. Doesn't necessary need to be V. That said, go and see what happens with V when you forward time 24 hours ahead 190 times. Should answer your question, I'm sure.

I liked V but I don't see a reason to keep playing as one character, we can come back to V later if necessary.

I think ideally they should explore other Night City Legends or your characters become new legends but you hear about your past characters legacy around night city and a drink with their name gets added to the bar menu.

As much as I want them to find a miracle cure, I don't know if it fits with the theme either. CDPR says their committed to the future of the ip. Personally, I think it would be nice to explore the universe a bit more instead of such a personal story. What do you think. It would be nice to explore thus universe without a ticking time bomb in your head though.
You means in another/next Cyberpunk game ?
If yes, indeed I would prefer to play another character, meet different characters and so on.
Besides, it's sad to me to say that, but after seeing Edgerunners and obviously, Lucy. I say to myself that it seems "easy" for CDPR to create characters that would make me forget those of CP2077, Judy in particular... o_O

On a side note, about the "ticking bomb", it's "good" for one story, and I assume CDPR CDPR won't do it again. But I'm quite confident that there'll be another kind of "urgency" anyway :)

You means in another/next Cyberpunk game ?
If yes, indeed I would prefer to play another character, meet different characters and so on.
Besides, it's sad to me to say that, but after seeing Edgerunners and obviously, Lucy. I say to myself that it seems "easy" for CDPR to create characters that would make me forget those of CP2077, Judy in particular... o_O

On a side note, about the "ticking bomb", it's "good" for one story, and I assume CDPR CDPR won't do it again. But I'm quite confident that there'll be another kind of "urgency" anyway :)

Yes, I meant sequel.

Even with the current game they started so many interesting topics (Peralez, Mr Blue Eyes, possible corpo wars) that the possibilities for future sequels are countless. As it seems it is not a problem for CDPR to create interesting characters so I wouldn't mind playing a fresh character.

There are so much places/stories in Night City we haven't seen jet and V has definitely the potential for more to tell.

The only thing I would be interested in, outside Night City, is a life on the road as a Nomad.

Well, you don't necessarily have to continue the story to give V a cure; the expansion might do that.

Anyway, why do you think finding a cure doesn't fit with "the theme"? What theme are you talking about? The story has several themes but the main one is survival so clearly it would fit like a glove.

Are you trying to say "I'm not sure a happy ending would fit the tone of the story"? If so, then I'd argue, "who says finding a cure can't come at the cost of tragedy?" Anyone who thinks that finding a cure would automatically feel forced and cloyingly happy, seriously lacks imagination. Depends on execution.

At the end of the day, the issue of a cure really boils down to the fact that they made finding a cure central to the story's plot. It becomes the main conflict that needs to be resolved by the end. It's the protagonist's primary objective.

This is something that the ending to Cyberpunk Edgerunners gets right:
The protagonist's main objective, saving Lucy so she can achieve her dream, is achieved. David gets resolution and Lucy gets hers. The main themes of the story resonate (self-sacrifice for the one's we love, the cost of chrome abuse/addiction, the working class vs corpos). It's a tragic and bittersweet ending. It's beautiful and sad all at once.
Also, it's a textbook example of satisfying denouement.

So to answer your question, what I would like is for the expansion to tie up CP77's story. I'd be happy for a future game to move on to someone else and be a different story. But if the expansion doesn't conclude V's story with a cure, then I'd like a future game to somehow achieve that (even if V isn't the protagonist anymore).

Anyway, why do you think finding a cure doesn't fit with "the theme"? What theme are you talking about? The story has several themes but the main one is survival so clearly it would fit like a glove.

Are you trying to say "I'm not sure a happy ending would fit the tone of the story"? If so, then I'd argue, "who says finding a cure can't come at the cost of tragedy?" Anyone who thinks that finding a cure would automatically feel forced and cloyingly happy, seriously lacks imagination. Depends on execution.
I'm not to familiar with Cyberpunk lore, but from what I gathered from the community. Happy endings don't necessarily exist in Cyberpunk universes. So, for a quote un quote "happy ending" to exist, meaning V finds a cure. Then it can't fit with Cyberpunk. I know we don't know much about the expansion, but a spy thriller doesn't sound like we're talking about the Relic.

I'm not to familiar with Cyberpunk lore, but from what I gathered from the community. Happy endings don't necessarily exist in Cyberpunk universes. So, for a quote un quote "happy ending" to exist, meaning V finds a cure. Then it can't fit with Cyberpunk. I know we don't know much about the expansion, but a spy thriller doesn't sound like we're talking about the Relic.

I would suggest reading my post again more carefully.

EDIT: whoever told you it's a "rule" that cyberpunk stories can't have happy endings doesn't know what they're talking about. In any case, if it wasn't clear already, I was saying that having a cure does NOT necessarily mean a purely happy ending. It can be sad, OR it can be happy, OR it can be a mixture of the two. There's absolutely no rule around this.

Last edited:
My thoughts on it are that we are going to get one of three things...

1. Given the success of Edgerunners (I see it is surging to the top 10 of Netflix and reviews are off the charts good), if Phantom Liberty sells like crazy, base game sales start rising and the expansion gets rave fan reviews with tons of people asking for more they may put together one more expansion around V finding a cure, having a more definitive ending or providing an ideal setup for a direct sequel.
  2. In Cyberpunk 2 if they stick with V I imagine the prologue (think White Orchard in The Witcher 3) will be V finding the cure - probably in space or something like that - then returning to Night City for a new main story while getting to run all over the city again.
  3. I think this is the most likely one - CDPR just drops the V storyline and lets the ending be open to interpretation, then gives us a brand new story in Night City either around the same time period to tie into the original game/Edgerunners or in an entirely new time period for a blank slate.

EDIT: One more note - I think with the setting of Night City, the mindset of the people in the city and tone of the Cyberpunk universe the games, animes, etc. are better suited for one off stories than lengthier trilogies like The Witcher.

When you say "cyberpunk" do you mean this game universe or the Cyberpunk genre?

While it's true most stories in the genre aren't all happy endings, it's usually about the lessons we learnt along the way. That said, this game is its own story so it can be whatever they want.

Not sure why ppl are so concerned with a happy ending, the most important thing is whether the story was good. A happy ending doesn't mean a good story and a good story doesn't demand a happy ending.

While it's true most stories in the genre aren't all happy endings, it's usually about the lessons we learnt along the way. That said, this game is its own story so it can be whatever they want.
Not really, CDPR have to follow "Mike Pondsmith Cyberpunk style" ;)

Top Bottom