Explore the world or continue V's story?

+
When you say "cyberpunk" do you mean this game universe or the Cyberpunk genre?

While it's true most stories in the genre aren't all happy endings, it's usually about the lessons we learnt along the way. That said, this game is its own story so it can be whatever they want.

Not sure why ppl are so concerned with a happy ending, the most important thing is whether the story was good. A happy ending doesn't mean a good story and a good story doesn't demand a happy ending.

Genre

100% Continue V Story

Why ?
The game is based on the character , and i think thats the whole point of the "Story mode" , my opinion is that they shall
1)Find a cure ( look at the Panam site she said that they gonna find a solution ) ( the destiny of Judy is interesing too )
2) More Places to explore ( The Destiny point of the Panam Jurney ? ) and i didint gonna be mad if the game gonna take whole Drive space(we talk about TB´es), and that the "Teleport" function gonna be use to transport character in other Town
3)We Want V :)

Truly, i played manny (im gonna Repeat it MANNY) Story mode games and Cyberpunk Just "suck" me in the whole scenario, i have Played and played because it was interesting ,what's gonna be next. This whole lost friend story, Love,Hate. Just a masterpeace, Noone Have done it before and i hope its gonna stay this way

I Hope That they aren't gonna Waste the V character and Maybe make a more side quests , better communication with close Friends/Love Part. Im gonna wait for the DLC even if its gonna be done in 2024 :)

fingers crossed And Just wait :)

As much as I want them to find a miracle cure, I don't know if it fits with the theme either. CDPR says their committed to the future of the ip. Personally, I think it would be nice to explore the universe a bit more instead of such a personal story. What do you think. It would be nice to explore thus universe without a ticking time bomb in your head though.

The whole cp2077 is such a dead end. If they cant/won't continue V's story, the only way to "continue using the IP" is with a new, different character. That would make V story just completely pointless, which it already is, Im afraid.
I dont want ANY SINGLE THING added in-between. Thats pointless.

The differences in vision between CDPR and everyone else are just too great to overcome.

OT: continue the story, of course. Its the only way to make any of this work.
AND BY THIS I MEAN CONTINUE THE STORY FROM AFTER THE ENDING OF CP2077

Post automatically merged:

Not really, CDPR have to follow "Mike Pondsmith Cyberpunk style" ;)
Thats got nothing to do with anything.

Last edited:
CDPR "use" Mike Pondsmith and R.Talsorian IP... CDPR can't do whatever they want or write whatever they want (unlike Disney with Star Wars for example).
So it have to do with that :
Not really sure what you mean here but there's nothing that mandates them to follow Mike's universe 1:1. The game is an "adaptation". In fact they've already made changes as they did with the Witcher.

That's not at all how these licenses work. Mike has very little involvement in where the story goes.

Not really sure what you mean here but there's nothing that mandates them to follow Mike's universe 1:1. The game is an "adaptation". In fact they've already made changes as they did with the Witcher.

That's not at all how these licenses work. Mike has very little involvement in where the story goes.
Nope, for example, CDPR asked to Mike how they can revive a character which was dead in the lore... So Mike was involved in the story, more than "a little".
Edit : That's why we would probably never see "crazy" things like V becoming the NUSA president or simply "V becoming an hero"...

Last edited:
I've become quite attached to my gay sons. I want them to find a cure and be able to grow old with their old-in-age-but-not-in-soul rockerboi boyfriend. I don't want it to be easy though. I want them to be tortured, to have to go through Hell and back, broken beaten and scarred(yes, that's a Metallica song. a good one too), but ultimately get their cure. Hell, maybe they'll even find Johnny's body and a way to get him back in it....

V's story ain't done and CDPR would be FOOLS to abandon this character.

I think Vs story is definitively over even if there isn't a "cannon ending" It's pretty clear this story has been a "Full Arch"

I think some things may eventually become "Cannon" like if rogue survives or not, things along that nature. But IF V pops up in a future game, I think it will be their "legend" and not actually a living character. As for my preference, I wouldn't mind a V centric sequel a with a "cannon ending" as a starting point, but I doubt it and I'd rather make a new character in a new story that Just happens to be In Night city, maybe running parallel to V's story, maybe taking place shortly after 2078-2080 somewhere close to that timeline.

My big request with whatever the sequel is, please do not repeat the "ticking clock of death" story, I don't mind a ticking clock, I don't mind urgency, I don't even mind a bit of a downer ending, I just don't want more of the same, I want a little more "Freedom" to take a slow pace and not feel it's counter intuitive. Also, it would just feel a little too much like more of the same. More of the same (But improved) gameplay is fine, but more of the same story might get a little too repetitive.

But for my vote, I say let us make another new character, in a new narrative within the CP lore, with maybe a few hints at V's ultimate fate but a separate new story, hopefully with a bit more exploration and variations depending on choices and how things play out.

CDPR "use" Mike Pondsmith and R.Talsorian IP... CDPR can't do whatever they want or write whatever they want (unlike Disney with Star Wars for example).
So it have to do with that :

1. You are wrong
2. That has no relevance to the story I was talking about.

My big request with whatever the sequel is, please do not repeat the "ticking clock of death" story, I don't mind a ticking clock, I don't mind urgency, I don't even mind a bit of a downer ending, I just don't want more of the same, I want a little more "Freedom" to take a slow pace and not feel it's counter intuitive. Also, it would just feel a little too much like more of the same. More of the same (But improved) gameplay is fine, but more of the same story might get a little too repetitive.

I do. To an extreme degree. We don't need suicide stories at this day and age.

Nope, for example, CDPR asked to Mike how they can revive a character which was dead in the lore... So Mike was involved in the story, more than "a little".
Edit : That's why we would probably never see "crazy" things like V becoming the NUSA president or simply "V becoming an hero"...
Yes they asked his opinion or he was a consultant as most creators are in these agreements. The Netflix witcher series also had the author on consulting and it made many changes which ppl went on to complain about.
So no, he doesn't have any creative control because that's what the company paid for, the ability to tell the story they wanted set in his world. It would be silly to not ask his input since he's more familiar with the material than anyone but that's where it ends. I implore you to research how these license agreements work.

I think Vs story is definitively over even if there isn't a "cannon ending" It's pretty clear this story has been a "Full Arch"

I think some things may eventually become "Cannon" like if rogue survives or not, things along that nature. But IF V pops up in a future game, I think it will be their "legend" and not actually a living character. As for my preference, I wouldn't mind a V centric sequel a with a "cannon ending" as a starting point, but I doubt it and I'd rather make a new character in a new story that Just happens to be In Night city, maybe running parallel to V's story, maybe taking place shortly after 2078-2080 somewhere close to that timeline.

But for my vote, I say let us make another new character, in a new narrative within the CP lore, with maybe a few hints at V's ultimate fate but a separate new story, hopefully with a bit more exploration and variations depending on choices and how things play out.
What was the urgency though? It's not as though V was going to die, you were free to go at your own pace. I didn't complete the main story until weeks later because I was mostly exploring the world.
I do agree they probably won't do that again but there really wasn't a ticking clock of death

What was the urgency though? It's not as though V was going to die, you were free to go at your own pace. I didn't complete the main story until weeks later because I was mostly exploring the world.
I do agree they probably won't do that again but there really wasn't a ticking clock of death

Ludonarrative Dissonance. The story said you had a few weeks maybe 1 or 2 months to live when you first wake up in Vics office. Urgency was in the story. But as most games do, the gameplay didn't fully match to make it more fun. It's common, not really a big deal fun is the most important part, but still a little annoying when you get into a story or a character you enjoy and think just a little too hard about it.

Which brings me to my point. I don't want yet another RPG story that is like "the world is ending in a week go save us" Or "you're dying hurry and find the cure" but then we can kinda just waste time and nothing really matters. I also don't want a real ticking clock that locks content behind a gate. So, I'd like something a little fresher from the writing. But again, as long as it's fun, and interesting I'll be happy.

So no, he doesn't have any creative control because that's what the company paid for, the ability to tell the story they wanted set in his world. It would be silly to not ask his input since he's more familiar with the material than anyone but that's where it ends. I implore you to research how these license agreements work.
You don't get what I mean or I'm write it badly :)
I will quote myself :
to quote Mike Pondsmith : "Cyberpunk 2077 is a fanfic made by fans for fans"
To quote an interview : "Mike Pondsmith, the guy who kill my character in cyberpunk" (i.e in the first TTG).

So I think CDPR didn't try to make the most popular story (to please as much players as possible), they made a fanfic for fans which for sure didn't please everyone :)
So maybe by contract, CDPR are able write whatever the story, but it doesn't mean that the want to.
And Cyberpunk 2077 (and probably Edgerunners), will enter in the "Cyberpunk Timeline". So if R.Talsorian decide one day to create a new TTP named Cyberpunk 2080 (for example), all the events which happen in Cyberpunk 2077 will most probably be taken in account.

Edit :
Let's take a little example :)
The CDPR writers team write a story in which the main character is a hero, change the world and everyone live an happy life at the end.Because CDPR know that this kind of story is very popular in general and will please the largest audience (a kind of story that Mike Pondsmith already said many times that it don't fit in its vision of Cyberpunk).
So they present the story to Mike to ask what he think about (just gor his advice). Obviously, he'll answer that no... it's shit and very bad !
I seriously doubt that CDPR would say :
"whatever, we don't care, we will do it anyway because we can !"

So in my opinion, it's a little more than a simple advice that they can follow or not ;)
(and Mike is not "more familiar with the material", he literally created it and most of what you see in Cyberpunk come from his own mind^^)

Last edited:
Definitely explore. V has a beginning and an end. The two I experienced were both sad but good. I like V as a protagonist, but I think a new character and story is the only way to go. I get that the relic is a ticking time bomb and it makes sense to do the main gigs ASAP, but I'd love to have more ways to tackle Night City and explore some areas I normally don't linger. Maybe Vik can send a text saying "My bad V, you actually got a few months, not weeks" to ease the idea.

Whether it's in Unreal Engine or not, I think that's best realized in multiplayer.

As much as I want them to find a miracle cure, I don't know if it fits with the theme either. CDPR says their committed to the future of the ip. Personally, I think it would be nice to explore the universe a bit more instead of such a personal story. What do you think. It would be nice to explore thus universe without a ticking time bomb in your head though.
Personally, I think the whole timebomb in your head without any cure, was a huge mistake in an open-world game like this.
This obviously goes a bit deeper, because they wanted Silverhand in the story, personally I don't mind Silverhand being there, but I don't think he adds a lot to the story, which couldn't have been there without him or could even have been done much better.

If they wanted to keep the timebomb plot thing, they should have made it so one of the characters you care for was the one you were trying to save, such as Jackie or maybe another newly created character, V's sister or brother.

The main issue with what they have done with the story is that they create a false feeling of tension. You as a player are constantly reminded to hurry up and get shit done or you will die. But on the other hand, you as a player just want to enjoy the city and see what it has to offer and be a badass merc finding cool stuff and upgrading your gear, buying some cars etc. at your own pacing.

But this creates a massive conflict, between the story and what the player want. And in order to play the game as you would like, you end up having to ignore a huge part of the story and simply pretend that it isn't there.

How they could have solved it
If we assume that it was Jackie that was suffering from the timebomb, I think this would work, given how fast people got attached to him and had they spent a bit more time on him it would have worked even better.

But what they could have done, was to design the game around saving his life, and you have all these corporations, people, gangs etc. that you could interact with in order to try to find a cure. The tension in the game could come from you as a player making actual choices, some good and some bad, depending on what you do, Jackie could eventually end up dying or he might survive in various stages. So the ultimate good ending would be Jackie recovering 100%, another he ends up with a fried brain in a wheelchair or hospital or whatever and in the worse case he would end up dying as a result of the player's actions.

In that case, you would have some very meaningful choices to make, they could even make it so if you do certain things others wouldn't be possible to really push the player to feel the effect of their choices.
They could also have made a lot of random quests about picking up leads or as a side thing to other quests. So for instance, if you as a player have to find some information about a person that might be able to help Jackie or have some important information, you could gather intel on them to figure out where they are etc. This could have been added to the game in a way so it supported the open world design, it would make sense for V to scout locations looking for clues and intel. Maybe some of the fixers know something but they won't help you, because they don't trust you, so you have to earn reputation first.

If they really wanted Silverhand in the game, they could either have added something which would let V see him, some special device to interact with him, in which case he would show up once you are on missions with Jackie or alternatively they could have made Jackie slowly change personality over the cause of the game, and show how he is clearly fighting with a split personality.

Leaving the player with no good endings and a feeling of urgency in an open-world game is a terrible choice in my opinion when this could be done so you as a player can see how your good or bad decision screws up people around you.
You have a lot of characters invested in Jackie, such as his former gang, his mother, Misty, Yourself, Vic and they could add more if needed. But seeing their reactions to what you do and having to deal with that, is a lot more interesting in my opinion than it only affects oneself.

And when the story is eventually over, whatever the outcome, you could still play on simply enjoying an open-world experience as a Merc. It would also be much easier to expand V's story.

At least to me, that would have made for a much better experience.

Last edited:
Continue as V obviously, there's still more to be done as her. Am hoping for a trilogy before they focus on a new character.
Start the next game with an intro story where your mission is to find the cure, then have a time skip before showing V returning to NC and whatever the new main story will be. There's lots of stuff to finish really.

And then in 30 years time we can start a new character that will get to drink V's drink in the Afterlife.

This lore has a whole lot of potential. Edgerunners is proof of that. I don't want to go back to The Witcher just yet to tell the truth, this world deserves to be explored more

This lore has a whole lot of potential. Edgerunners is proof of that. I don't want to go back to The Witcher just yet to tell the truth, this world deserves to be explored more

As crazy as it is to say it, because The Witcher 3 is probably my favorite game ever and I can't wait to see what they do with the next game, I agree. I think I would rather see Cyberpunk 2 before The Witcher 4 right now. The Cyberpunk universe has so much going for it after the anime released... and there are so many stories not tied up from Cyberpunk 2077.

I also think that the link between Adam Smasher obliterating David and Becca with V eventually killing him needs to be explored. If they never introduce V and Lucy I think it will be a big miss from CDPR. Between that and Lucy having a deep knowledge of Arasaka tech with V having Arasaka tech lodged in his noggin' it seems like it fits too perfectly to not happen.

Last edited:
In the short term, I think CDPR has to find something better to do with V than what they've so far done in the game. V started on rails in order to get to the Heist and after that V feels mostly like a vehicle to tell the story of Johnny. There's a big hole where "who was V?" is an unanswered question despite being the protagonist of an entire game, and personally I find that rather frustrating. If we can't actually get to play a campaign of "V in Night City" without a nagging passenger then at least give us a shot at hope and redemption.

In terms of CP2, I think CDPR should strongly consider distancing themselves from V and possibly from NC entirely. Aim for a clean slate and then getting it right.

After finishing the game 5 times, comprehensively, multiple builds and quest / end outcomes. I can wholeheartedly say, I wish there was more to do in the game from the open world perspective. The story is fine, the gigs / side jobs are fine, the ncpd scanner encounters are all fine except when you reach the point when there is absolutely nothing left to do, even when you found all the legendary clothing items there should still be something left to do!

Top Bottom