Phantom Liberty story speculation

+
CD Projekt Red seems to think the point of the game is dealing with the character dying. They've never shown any issue with the endings and seem to think it was their artistic intent.

In other thread, I wrote:

I feel like the fans and CDPR are never going to be on the same page:

CDPR: It's a story about V dying and what they do with the time they have left.

Player: So, when is the DLC after they get cured.

CDPR: There's no cure.

Player: Just, you know, when Johnny's not there because we're cured.

CDPR: It's about V dying.

Player: I know but after that when V is better.

Maybe they should have allowed the player real input into what they do with the time they have left rather than hardcoding the character on the basis of a rooftop mission choice. Feels to me more like Shallow poorly writing on top of pulling the rug on a game that's all about finding a cure, which doesn't seem to have much artistic integrity to me.

Last edited:
Maybe they should have allowed the player real input into what they do with the time they have left rather than hardcoding the character on the basis of a rooftop mission choice. Feels to me more like Shallow poorly writing on top of pulling the rug on a game that's all about finding a cure, which doesn't seem to have much artistic integrity to me.

The lack of real choice in the game was a disappointment as I think the game should have contained the following choices:

* Side with Dex vs. Side with Evelyn
* The chance to save Evelyn
* More follow up from the opening Lifepath

And so on.

The lack of real choice in the game was a disappointment as I think the game should have contained the following choices:

And so on.
To this, I'd just say it's a story-driven game, involving a lot of really well-crafted (well, I think so) performances from voice actors and scripted scenes you participate in. The fully-open world mentioned would be awesome but can you imagine how massive the investment would have had to have been to allow it?

Like Tolkein writing a huge variety of outcomes for Lord Of The Rings... honestly I'm happy to play-through what the quest designers provided.

To this, I'd just say it's a story-driven game, involving a lot of really well-crafted (well, I think so) performances from voice actors and scripted scenes you participate in. The fully-open world mentioned would be awesome but can you imagine how massive the investment would have had to have been to allow it?

Like Tolkein writing a huge variety of outcomes for Lord Of The Rings... honestly I'm happy to play-through what the quest designers provided.

Eh, it's an RPG so there should be a limited number of things you can affect.

Dragon Age: Origin is no worse a story for the fact you can side with the Templars or the Mages or Bhelen over Harrmount.

Eh, it's an RPG so there should be a limited number of things you can affect.

Dragon Age: Origin is no worse a story for the fact you can side with the Templars or the Mages or Bhelen over Harrmount.
I'm not an experienced RPG player for sure, so am sure I don't even notice things 'missing' in CP2077 that for others are huge gaps. But for me it stands on its own merits. I suppose we all look for and admire different things in games, this one works for me :) They can keep doing this all day long.

So, I'm going to be very careful with my choice of words.... and want to add I have done my best to avoid spoilers....

But since some of the "Rumors" about this expansion have been proven true by this trailer.... My guess is it like another rumor states, this actually will open up new ending details or changes within the already established endings. Probably nothing massively different but variations similar to what's already there... Like Takemura being in the devil ending or not. Not an entirely new ending, but a variation on one depending on choice.

Having said that, it would be cool if someone you meet opens an entirely new ending path, I don't think it's likely, but I would be cool.
OK... I'm interested. What exactly are these "rumors" referring to? Maybe add a spoiler warning for others, but me? I'm interested.

OK... I'm interested. What exactly are these "rumors" referring to? Maybe add a spoiler warning for others, but me? I'm interested.

Basically a leak came out that mentioned all of the things that was in this trailer. CDPR has since scrubbed Reddit of them, though.

EDIT: I've deleted this. I'm thinking it's probably best not to talk about till after the expansion comes out...

Last edited:
Cant really talk about it here. Not sure if this was added after 1.5 but you cant talk about it now.

• post and/or discuss unpublished content from CDPR’s products, or other information/content obtained from leaks or data-mining without CDPR’s permission

On a PURE SPECULATION level, I wouldn't be surprised if CPDR does add one "happy" ending in the game to this one.

If that's the case, then imagine the number of people who would be inclined to buy the DLC.
Recently (and by that I mean shortly before and after 1.5 hit) I've noticed a more positive outlook on CP2077 and reviews of the game. Now with the anime being a hit and 1.6 out plus the future prospects and fixes, I do feel like the game and the studio have regained peoples trust (aside from the obvious people who'll never stop hating on the game or CDPR). So I do expect the DLC to sell really well. I know I'll be buying it for sure and I'm one of the people who held off on buying the game for a very long time.

Recently (and by that I mean shortly before and after 1.5 hit) I've noticed a more positive outlook on CP2077 and reviews of the game. Now with the anime being a hit and 1.6 out plus the future prospects and fixes, I do feel like the game and the studio have regained peoples trust (aside from the obvious people who'll never stop hating on the game or CDPR). So I do expect the DLC to sell really well. I know I'll be buying it for sure and I'm one of the people who held off on buying the game for a very long time.

My loyalty to the game is ridiculous.

PS4 Slim

Me: Ugh. The game was completely broken at the start. I am done with them.

*buys PS4 Pro*

Me: Okay, the game plays well now but I have already done most of the sidequests and material. I'm done now.

*watches Phantom Liberty commercial*

Me: ONLY FOR PS5 users! What a rip off!

*buys PS5 the same week*

Me: I am CDPR's bitch

My loyalty to the game is ridiculous.

PS4 Slim

Me: Ugh. The game was completely broken at the start. I am done with them.

*buys PS4 Pro*

Me: Okay, the game plays well now but I have already done most of the sidequests and material. I'm done now.

*watches Phantom Liberty commercial*

Me: ONLY FOR PS5 users! What a rip off!

*buys PS5 the same week*

Me: I am CDPR's bitch
Hah, well at least you know and own it. I play on PC but boy do I enjoy the game. There's nothing that comes close to CP2077 and nothing that can scratch that Cyberpunk itch. I'm looking for more books to buy though hah.

And so on.
Siding with Dex or Evelyn sure but I don't think we need to save Evelyn because that was an important part of Judy's story. So changing that means changing her story and then where does it end. I think that story was good and it demonstrates the effects of BD in this world.

As for the life paths, I agree. I think they were too open. There should be certain missions that take you to different locations depending on your lifepath. Apartments should be specific to your lifepath. A street kid living in an upscale apartment doesn't make sense. I get that they wanted ppl to have the freedom to do whatever they want but that removes some of the replayability and uniqueness to each lifepath.

Even the skill tree should have had some things tied to lifepath. A nomad being better at technical skills for example. I think that was what they planned to do because they did mention it in demos that were shown but they scaled it back.
I love the game regardless but hopefully they implement some of these in the next game.

Siding with Dex or Evelyn sure but I don't think we need to save Evelyn because that was an important part of Judy's story. So changing that means changing her story and then where does it end. I think that story was good and it demonstrates the effects of BD in this world.

As for the life paths, I agree. I think they were too open. There should be certain missions that take you to different locations depending on your lifepath. Apartments should be specific to your lifepath. A street kid living in an upscale apartment doesn't make sense. I get that they wanted ppl to have the freedom to do whatever they want but that removes some of the replayability and uniqueness to each lifepath.

Even the skill tree should have had some things tied to lifepath. A nomad being better at technical skills for example. I think that was what they planned to do because they did mention it in demos that were shown but they scaled it back.
I love the game regardless but hopefully they implement some of these in the next game.

Evelyn Parker is just one of the moments that stands out in the game's "on the rails" storytelling because it is badly set up for not being able to sell it. Literally the first mission in the game is finding a woman who has been horribly tortured to near-death and V stating that PSTD and horrific trauma can treated with enough Eddies. Given the amount of Eddies that V can accumulate in the game, it feels like a missed opportunity to be able to buy a trauma plan for Evelyn and get her brain purged of it.

If you didn't want to derrail Judy's storyline, you could have Evelyn leave after her treatment (and presumably a conversation where you can finally found out WTF really went down at the heist). Judy could then still be affected by Evelyn's horrific treatment and want to take down Clouds as a result. Also, perhaps, feel that Evelyn abandoned her.

Just a detail. This female character in the NUSA uniform doesn't look like the president of NUSA to me - many have speculated that it is the president. Rosalind Myers appears on TV and is not that woman (
). I believe she is an important character in Militech, a new character. And yes, I believe that depending on the choices you make, Meredith Stout or Anthony Girlchrist will appear in the expansion. The main game is about Arasaka. Its expansion will be on Militech. That's my opinion.

Just a detail. This female character in the NUSA uniform doesn't look like the president of NUSA to me - many have speculated that it is the president. Rosalind Myers appears on TV and is not that woman
Yep, it's clearly not Rosalind Myers :)
Char_profile_RosalindMyers.jpeg

I have a feeling that's just a datamined, placeholder version of Myers? There's stuff that's been datamined but cut or changed in the final product.

I have a feeling that's just a datamined, placeholder version of Myers? There's stuff that's been datamined but cut or changed in the final product.
On our posts above ?
If yes, nope the video come from the TV show which you can watch in the game after Saburo "death" in response to Yorinobu's one :)
(if CDPR decided to change Rosalind Myers appearance in the expansion, they have to change the TV show too. If not, it would seem very weird^^)

On our posts above ?
If yes, nope the video come from the TV show which you can watch in the game after Saburo "death" in response to Yorinobu's one :)
(if CDPR decided to change Rosalind Myers appearance in the expansion, they have to change the TV show too. If not, it would seem very weird^^)

Have you seen the video in the game yourself? Because according to the person who made that video, that's cut content. I'm guessing they datamined it.

Top Bottom