A PETITION about making another ending for the animation of Cyberpunk:Edgerunners

+

Would you like to see an another happier ending(NOT replacing what it is in the animation)

• YES

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • NO

Votes: 44 78.6%

• Total voters
Dear CDPR,

First of all, let me thank you for your tireless efforts to update your games and enhance our gaming experience. I would also like to express my great gratitude to you for working with Trigger Studio to produce such a great animation as Edgerunners. This is a perfect animation. Its pictures, music, characterization, composition and plot rhythm are excellent, I was totally immersed in this work, and everyone in the animation seemed to be real. At the same time, it also drove me to play the game again and recommend it to my friends, in spite of I was at the critical stage of applying for a doctor's degree.

However, such a perfect work has left a huge regret in my heart and even in the hearts of many players and audiences. That is the end of David and Lucy. Its influence on me and other players is so deep that we are afraid to hear the song << I Really Want to Stay At Your House>> again and can't get out of the sadness for a long time. It is enough to make a strong man cry out. Yes, the definition of cyberpunk means that the whole cyberpunk world is full of tragedies and regrets. Every small person at the bottom of society is struggling to survive. Every person who is killed may be whose son or whose mother, which also indicates that the outcome of david's team is doomed to be incomplete. However, in such a dark society, there are also some shining human brilliance, including family, friendship and love. These lights are more and more dazzling in the resistance of those little people against the unfair fate, and it is these lights that touch us. They make us not feel lonely and hopeless when we are immersed in the cyberpunk world. I believe that this is also the reason why you allow us to choose the outcome of different branch lines and main lines in the game. In the animation, the brilliance is gradually crushed. David did finally protect Lucy, his love. But as spectators, the brilliance we felt in the cyberpunk world has been taken away. The moon of Lucy's is just a symbol of her wish that she can no longer escape and feel safety. This is the reason why the scene is switched to the moon when she kisses David, David is her moon. And these are crushed in the end of the animation, which makes me feel desperate.

Therefore, I’m writing a petition to you. Please make an another ending for the animation, just like the classic animation of Fate series, even if it's just an episode. In that ending, Lucy and David are able to realize her dream together. This allows us to feel the greatness and role of human brilliance in such a world and love this game and animation more deeply. As for funds, no matter DLC or crowd-funding or what, I will pay for it. Please consider my petition, so I can proudly recommend CDPR that it’s a great group of people who stays with players and audiences, and it’s the creators of Cyberpunk2077, Edgerunners and the Witcher3. At the same time, I also beg all the players with the same feelings and wishes to write your reply under my petition, so that I can feel that I am not alone.

A loyal player

Tbh the way the story was unfolding I don't see any other ending that would work. You might have to rewrite almost half of all episodes to make a different outcome work. And not every story is supposed to be a happy one.

This.

An entire rewrite is definitely out of the question. Even as one of the few who didn't like Edgerunners that much (just not an anime fan) I thought the ending was fitting. Cliché but fitting.

you are not alone in getting hit in the feels

1663795535016.png

The ending was perfect, it invokes emotion and that's a good thing

David lost himself chasing the dreams of others and even in the end failed to realize Lucy's dream had changed.

I thought the ending was perfect too.

Although personally I thought David was rather just trying to be strong, not just to protect himself but also the people he cared about. I don't think he ever got over the loss of his mother or Maine. At the very least he succeeded in protecting Lucy and giving her a chance.

It felt tragic and happy and sad all at once for me. DEF doesn't need an alt ending - that's a nopety nope from me.

Honestly, this ending was happier than a lot of other cyberpunk genre things.

David was losing it, addicted to chrome, trying to build a rep, trying to be strong to never lose anyone again and he went to far. BUT he found himself with lucy, in the end SHE brough him back when the meds couldn't she gave him a purpose, and he saved her in return. It was a complete arch for him. And Lucy got to go to the moon for a fresh start.

There was a real possibility everyone was going to die in the end. The fact that not just 1 but 2 members of the crew made it out is impressive, although I would have liked becca to make it, especially in the last episode she really stepped up and put the others ahead of herself woulda been cool to see her get a happy ending. But still I thought it was great.

Side note, I have a theory that the outdated incompatible arm David got from Maine is what was causing the psychosis for both of them. But that's probably for a different thread.

The ending was perfect, it invokes emotion and that's a good thing

David lost himself chasing the dreams of others and even in the end failed to realize Lucy's dream had changed.
Yeah,I agree it's a good ending,it does invoke emotion. But in the end, everyones' dream is broken. It gives me a sense of deeply powerlessness and frustration. Although cyberpunk world is a cruel world,at least CDPR gives us a choice to leave city with Panam in the game. So maybe David make it out or get help from someone,or they quit this fcking job earlier in a parallel universe. Making an animation of parallel happier ending does't need to change or rewrite the story. Just everone thought David was dead will be fine. An single episode or 5 mins short animation about it will greatly console me and others who feel the same. Imagine the scene that David lives in a small house with Lucy,said“Sorry I can't realize your dream” but Lucy said“Fool,haven't you realize my dream was already achieved”. That's what I need.
Post automatically merged:

Tbh the way the story was unfolding I don't see any other ending that would work. You might have to rewrite almost half of all episodes to make a different outcome work. And not every story is supposed to be a happy one.
Well, no need for rewrite the story, just a single episode or shot animation about David makes it out or they quit it earlier in a parallel story line, and make others thought David was dead. That will be fine

Honestly, this ending was happier than a lot of other cyberpunk genre things.

David was losing it, addicted to chrome, trying to build a rep, trying to be strong to never lose anyone again and he went to far. BUT he found himself with lucy, in the end SHE brough him back when the meds couldn't she gave him a purpose, and he saved her in return. It was a complete arch for him. And Lucy got to go to the moon for a fresh start.

There was a real possibility everyone was going to die in the end. The fact that not just 1 but 2 members of the crew made it out is impressive, although I would have liked becca to make it, especially in the last episode she really stepped up and put the others ahead of herself woulda been cool to see her get a happy ending. But still I thought it was great.

Side note, I have a theory that the outdated incompatible arm David got from Maine is what was causing the psychosis for both of them. But that's probably for a different thread.
The ending is great and fitting for the entile story,I agree,that's what make this animation so impressive. But for personal, we all would like to see they make it out. Making a happier ending doesn't mean replace the ending it suppose to be, it won't harm the perfectness of this animation,it just for us who wish they can make it out.

Last edited:
Well, no need for rewrite the story, just a single episode or shot animation about David makes it out or they quit it earlier in a parallel story line, and make others thought David was dead. That will be fine

You will definitely have to change a lot more than just one episode. David already is pretty much beyond saving during the last episode. Turning just the last episode into a happy ending would seem very off to me.

I know it's tough to watch, I really do. But no matter how hard it was for me, I wouldn't want to change the stories direction, because it made me very sad. For me it all works very well. Besides, it's not unusual for anime series to have a sad and depressing ending.

I really lothe it when I know everyone is going to survive. I mean, given the knowledge everyone will survive, I can normally figure out the plot of a film I am watching pretty quick at which point the film has lost its edge and my interest. I prefer not knowing and for that death must happen, like in game of thrones, no one is safe, you cannot predict what will happen.

I look forward to the next night city story, I hope they survive but I wont know for sure now.

Yeah...I admit the story direction and the ending is truly fit for the animation. The happier ending I'm talking about is not going to replace the original ending. It won't change anything about the existing animation which you like. It's just to console those deeply sad people like me. It doesn't need to become a great animation like the anime, just a 5 mins short animation will be enough. And there is surely some way to bring David back from psychosis,after all,the female squad leader of Max-Tac in game is the ex-cyberpsychopath who show up in the trailer in 2013. My petition won't conflict with your opinion.

This.

An entire rewrite is definitely out of the question. Even as one of the few who didn't like Edgerunners that much (just not an anime fan) I thought the ending was fitting. Cliché but fitting.
I really lothe it when I know everyone is going to survive. I mean, given the knowledge everyone will survive, I can normally figure out the plot of a film I am watching pretty quick at which point the film has lost its edge and my interest. I prefer not knowing and for that death must happen, like in game of thrones, no one is safe, you cannot predict what will happen.

I look forward to the next night city story, I hope they survive but I wont know for sure now.
That's funny cause I enjoyed the show up until about episode 5 because after that I predicted just about everyone that died. Honestly the whole get them attached and kill the character thing is so common it's more annoying than impactful for me especially when it's not needed. The characters were cool and would have still been really good if they didn't end it how they did without ruining future potential.

The characters were cool and would have still been really good if they didn't end it how they did without ruining future potential.
Nope, because in Cyberpunk (from Mike) is Night City stories more than specifc characters stories ;)
So it doesn't ruin future potential, it would just be about other characters...

Yeah...I admit the story direction and the ending is truly fit for the animation. The happier ending I'm talking about is not going to replace the original ending. It won't change anything about the existing animation which you like. It's just to console those deeply sad people like me. It doesn't need to become a great animation like the anime, just a 5 mins short animation will be enough. And there is surely some way to bring David back from psychosis,after all,the female squad leader of Max-Tac in game is the ex-cyberpsychopath who show up in the trailer in 2013. My petition won't conflict with your opinion.
I think the death of certain crew members was very fitting but for me, it felt like they forced Davids's death. There are characters I feel are partly to blame for David ending up in the situation he was in at the end, Kiwi is one of them but they were really hanging onto David only living the dreams of other people regardless if it would make him happy or would kill him. If he didn't end up in the suit he definitely would have turned into a cyberpyshco. Ripper doc at least 3 times, Lucy, Rebecca, freeze-ups in combat, seeing a crew member go psycho, and seeing things were all warnings he straight up ignored because he was living someone else's dream and thought he was special. After episode 5 I feel you started to see the ramifications of that which is around the same time everything he was saying and doing really started to bother me. The only way he could really survive I think is if someone actually did give smasher the order to make him a construct after smasher asked and the bullet that was fired maybe went next to his head because they would definitely have gotten the body and the suit out of there after the fight. But I'm with you honestly it feels like Cyberpunk's M.O is to make you feel crappy afterward. His death specifically I feel was unnecessary in order to make it a good anime because all the characters were nicely done in my opinion. Someone pointed out that a lot of animes end sadly but I'm not an anime guy and I can tell you that just killing off the people that everyone likes is very common in general at least with the shows and movies I watch. Even though I think it was a very good anime because I see that so much and it seems creators just have to go that route all the time it wasn't impactful for me, more so annoying after I figured out the direction it was going in episode 6.

Hey maybe someone will create a well-thought-out mod quest in which you find out how David actually survives what happened in the show (would have to be some good writing) and then if enough people enjoy it maybe CDPR would make it canon or something.

Nope, because in Cyberpunk (from Mike) is Night City stories more than specifc characters stories ;)
So it doesn't ruin future potential, it would just be about other characters...
Yea that's true I meant for those characters in particular because they were interesting and honestly definitely had enough going for them for a season 2. New season then kill those new characters off too for another classic Night City ending lol. I mean I guess that's cool for some people, I personally like to get more out characters I like instead of a new set each season if they were planning on doing another season anyway. Tbh we haven't gotten a lot from netwatch in the game so I wouldn't mind getting a new male character maybe he works for them and continue Lucy's story after the events of the game.

Last edited:
Here's the real issue though.

Regardless of if you loved or hated the ending, and regardless of if an "alternate ending" would just be a what if for fans or cannon or whatever.
It's likely not to happen because it's too expensive, you need to bring back the entire team, to write it and animate it, then bring back the voice actors for every localization, and some of those actors won't come cheap, Giancarlo Esposito especially.

I get wanting some hopefulness, or somewhat happy endings literally anywhere in Night City or the cyberpunk universe. But much like the game the good parts come from the people you could help. V saving River's nephew, Helping Joshua find peace, saving the lives of clients, etc.... V may be doomed but they did some good and left an impact. Same is true for David, sure in the end only 2 of his crew survived, but He gave them a fresh start that got them out of NC and out of the life, that counts for something. Plus, Faraday got his in the end and the "Bad guys" often win in this genre so some justice there is a nice bonus.

You've got all the fanfiction and fanart in the world to console you, choom. You said it yourself, the ending to the show was a perfect fit, now we've just gotta live with it. I don't like that David and his choombas died any more than you do, but I understand the lesson that Edgerunners wanted to teach us and that's that no one gets what they deserve in Night City.

No one.

You've got all the fanfiction and fanart in the world to console you, choom. You said it yourself, the ending to the show was a perfect fit, now we've just gotta live with it. I don't like that David and his choombas died any more than you do, but I understand the lesson that Edgerunners wanted to teach us and that's that no one gets what they deserve in Night City.

No one.
Yes, there are a lot of fanfictions and fanarts for the ending, they are the practical response of those people who feel the same as me. And my response is writing this petition. As for lesson, "Tragedy is to destruct beatiful and valuable things in front of people" words from a great writer of my country. I've learnt lesson enough from reality and arts production.

I honestly prefer downer/tragic/realistic endings. There's a reason why GOT is so cherished
I'd thought about it too, last night. At present, the animation has already make us understand the feeling of lost. It's good, it will make us more cherish what we got. But how about after persistent efforts,you retrieve something you lost. Which situation you will cherish it more?

Last edited:
Top Bottom