I hope CDPR will improve Raytracing performance and VRAM usage with the next update (Overdrive mode)

+
Soon, CDPR will release a patch that adds an Overdrive mode for Nvidias new Lovelace GPUs. That mode will turn Raytracing way up.

However, I hope CDPR will take this opportunity to make RT run better on lower end hardware as well. The new mode apparently removes all light maps in the game, which could result in HUGE VRAM and performance savings, which in turn would yield better performance on Turing and Ampere GPUs as well, if the Raytracing is properly adjusted.

So instead of just providing the Overdrive mode with over the top Raytracing for the newer cards, I do hope they also optimize Raytracing for Turing and Ampere GPUs by providing more adjustable RT settings with performance and VRAM benefits due to removed lightmaps, sort of like a Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition for Cyberpunk.

There's also some DX12 Ultimate features they can use to further improve performance (Mesh Shaders and Sampler Feedback)

We need to get this to CDPR so performance can be improved on RTX 2000, RTX 3000 and RX 6000 series GPUs.

Yep, I support that. Especially because RT in 1.6 again lost about 10% performance compared to 1.5 (without significant visual improvements).

Well, I won't even mention AMD improvements and FSR 2.1, guess I could as well ask for a Mac port and get the same laughter...

the game is sponsored by nvidia, nvidia push/pay for this overdrive mode (I guess), they don't can care less to "promote" older gpus by improving their performance or AMD gpu...but, who knows.

Instead I prefer that cdp work on some texture improvement/HD pack, some of them are really AWFUL, especially the flora/terrain in badlands or interiors of many car.

written from a RTX3070

Sponsored or not, I can think of some good reasons to at least throw "the rest of us" a bone from time to time not instead, but while catering to the few whales who run out to buy a 4090 on day one, I would guess that CDPR would still be interested in keeping the players with AMD GPUs happy enough so they keep buying their games in the future - I would guess that there are more AMD users who'd be happy about at least getting FSR 2.0 than there are players who really care e.g. for all the police system fixes because they regularly start fighting the NCPD - wild theory, I know, and one of these should be much simpler to implement into the game at least if the AMD PR is true. Doesn't mean the oil skeiks with 4090s won't still get their overdrive RT mode and the nVidia overlords their splash logo in the intro.

Is the tech you're describing actually compatible with the 2000 series and 3000 series? Or is it making use of 4000 hardware to do it? In the latter case, obviously, what you're asking for can't happen.

i'm sorry to ruin the party but this sounds like a pipe-dream. While I won't argue that the game's performance could be improved - there is simply no game that is 100% optimised for any hardware - I think RT overdrive cannot be used for that.

he new mode apparently removes all light maps in the game, which could result in HUGE VRAM and performance savings, which in turn would yield better performance on Turing and Ampere GPUs as well, if the Raytracing is properly adjusted.
This will free up the necessary VRAM for RT related operations. Also, would not say that reducing the VRAM usage would increase performance of Turing and Ampere. I think those cards simply lack in raw performance. Furthermore, adjusting it "properly" as you say might be extremely difficult, especially if you cannot afford casting enough rays.

So instead of just providing the Overdrive mode with over the top Raytracing for the newer cards, I do hope they also optimize Raytracing for Turing and Ampere GPUs by providing more adjustable RT settings with performance and VRAM benefits due to removed lightmaps,...
You do know that Cyberpunk 2077 has three (low - medium - ultra) and sometimes four (psycho) options to adjust RT to one's liking? Usually, that's the amount of granularity you get without tinkering with *.ini files. (Which you can do, as a matter of fact.)

I think we will see further improvements made for the game, but I doubt they will focus especially on Turing or Ampere.

...,, sort of like a Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition for Cyberpunk.
I will have to look at what Metro Exodus EE in particular did.

We need to get this to CDPR so performance can be improved on RTX 2000, RTX 3000 and RX 6000 series GPUs.
Considering the way it looks, I am more than happy with Cyberpunk 2077's performance on my (now retired )Ampere GPU.

I admire your "optimism" OP but the game won't surely run better after it gets updated with the new effects. On the contrary, it will make older GPUs beg for mercy. I think only those who own a 4090 will be able to get playable framerates.

Adding more reflections and such will raise VRAM consumption, not the opposite. Besides, the game is not fully raytraced, it still relies on the older tricks even if RT is on (SSR, light probes for GI and so on).

the game is sponsored by nvidia, nvidia push/pay for this overdrive mode (I guess), they don't can care less to "promote" older gpus by improving their performance or AMD gpu...but, who knows.
If Overdrive even addresses this problem; it will be necessary to do so because the current RT implementation utilizes the faux GI lightmap system as an assist... because current cards can only do so much. You can turn this off with a .ini config to alleviate the artifacts and misplaced occlusion box issue, which can be quite severe in some areas, but you will take a performance hit because of that - making your understandable desire unattainable.

Top Bottom