A PETITION about making another ending for the animation of Cyberpunk:Edgerunners

+

Would you like to see an another happier ending(NOT replacing what it is in the animation)

• YES

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • NO

Votes: 44 78.6%

• Total voters
nope but hopefully like vehicle combat and police chases the poster will magically be developed by CDPR for consoles

Their lives only meant something because they died, if you retcon that in favor of some marvel like nobody dies crap, you end up creating a world that is not dangerous nothing is at stake nobody popular ever dies and when they do they come back.
Let them die.

Dear CDPR,

First of all, let me thank you for your tireless efforts to update your games and enhance our gaming experience. I would also like to express my great gratitude to you for working with Trigger Studio to produce such a great animation as Edgerunners. This is a perfect animation. Its pictures, music, characterization, composition and plot rhythm are excellent, I was totally immersed in this work, and everyone in the animation seemed to be real. At the same time, it also drove me to play the game again and recommend it to my friends, in spite of I was at the critical stage of applying for a doctor's degree.

However, such a perfect work has left a huge regret in my heart and even in the hearts of many players and audiences. That is the end of David and Lucy. Its influence on me and other players is so deep that we are afraid to hear the song << I Really Want to Stay At Your House>> again and can't get out of the sadness for a long time. It is enough to make a strong man cry out. Yes, the definition of cyberpunk means that the whole cyberpunk world is full of tragedies and regrets. Every small person at the bottom of society is struggling to survive. Every person who is killed may be whose son or whose mother, which also indicates that the outcome of david's team is doomed to be incomplete. However, in such a dark society, there are also some shining human brilliance, including family, friendship and love. These lights are more and more dazzling in the resistance of those little people against the unfair fate, and it is these lights that touch us. They make us not feel lonely and hopeless when we are immersed in the cyberpunk world. I believe that this is also the reason why you allow us to choose the outcome of different branch lines and main lines in the game. In the animation, the brilliance is gradually crushed. David did finally protect Lucy, his love. But as spectators, the brilliance we felt in the cyberpunk world has been taken away. The moon of Lucy's is just a symbol of her wish that she can no longer escape and feel safety. This is the reason why the scene is switched to the moon when she kisses David, David is her moon. And these are crushed in the end of the animation, which makes me feel desperate.

Therefore, I’m writing a petition to you. Please make an another ending for the animation, just like the classic animation of Fate series, even if it's just an episode. In that ending, Lucy and David are able to realize her dream together. This allows us to feel the greatness and role of human brilliance in such a world and love this game and animation more deeply. As for funds, no matter DLC or crowd-funding or what, I will pay for it. Please consider my petition, so I can proudly recommend CDPR that it’s a great group of people who stays with players and audiences, and it’s the creators of Cyberpunk2077, Edgerunners and the Witcher3. At the same time, I also beg all the players with the same feelings and wishes to write your reply under my petition, so that I can feel that I am not alone.

A loyal player
Mmmm Idk, I would've done a petition about a second season.

The ending is sad (for me) but is in line with the essence of Night City.

For me, by seeing all the good feedback, the could do a second season or at least another Anime with different characters.

Even if people work from home/remotely/different countries. They still need to get paid. Just because the English cast can record in the US and send it to Trigger does not make it much less expensive, it really only cuts travel cost, everything else is still there. Animators need to get paid; Writers need to get paid. It's a lot of work even for just one 25–45-minute episode. Plus, localization costs for everywhere outside the US and Japan, which adds up.

I'm not trying to be negative or judge your opinion, Like I said, I liked the ending, but I don't dislike the idea of maybe a few more people surviving the end, especially Rebecca. I just think it's extremely unlikely that Trigger, CDPR or Netflix would want to invest more time and money into this.

I think the best you can hope for is a "Fan-fic" alternate ending, or your own personal "Head-cannon" because regardless of my opinion on the ending, I just don't see them putting the time and money into this. Maybe... and this is a BIG MAYBE, if they do a season 2 following new character, or Lucy, they might make a bonus alternate ending because they're already back at work on season 2, But there is also no indication of a follow up so again, It's unlikely.

Having said all that If I'm wrong and they do decide to give a little fan service and put out a recut or alternate ending that's fine too, it doesn't really affect anything unless the game ties in more heavily to the show later on and then obviously only one ending can be cannon.
I definitely wouldn't say no to a S2 with Lucy as the main character

Even if people work from home/remotely/different countries. They still need to get paid. Just because the English cast can record in the US and send it to Trigger does not make it much less expensive, it really only cuts travel cost, everything else is still there. Animators need to get paid; Writers need to get paid. It's a lot of work even for just one 25–45-minute episode. Plus, localization costs for everywhere outside the US and Japan, which adds up.

I'm not trying to be negative or judge your opinion, Like I said, I liked the ending, but I don't dislike the idea of maybe a few more people surviving the end, especially Rebecca. I just think it's extremely unlikely that Trigger, CDPR or Netflix would want to invest more time and money into this.

I think the best you can hope for is a "Fan-fic" alternate ending, or your own personal "Head-cannon" because regardless of my opinion on the ending, I just don't see them putting the time and money into this. Maybe... and this is a BIG MAYBE, if they do a season 2 following new character, or Lucy, they might make a bonus alternate ending because they're already back at work on season 2, But there is also no indication of a follow up so again, It's unlikely.

Having said all that If I'm wrong and they do decide to give a little fan service and put out a recut or alternate ending that's fine too, it doesn't really affect anything unless the game ties in more heavily to the show later on and then obviously only one ending can be cannon.
Yes,it would be a big cost. Well, maybe I should make a questionnaire about it in Chinese community. There is an enormous number of players who can't express their suggesttions to official because of language barrier. CDPR may don't mind it to give us an extra gift when the funding is no longer a problem.
Post automatically merged:

Don't deny David his dream. How do you become a legend? You snuff it, in a mind-blowing spectacular fashion. David did that.
In my eyes, his only dream is to protect others and stay with Lucy.

Last edited:
Yes,it would be a big cost. Well, maybe I should make a questionnaire about it in Chinese community. There is an enormous number of players who can't express their suggesttions to official because of language barrier. CDPR may don't mind it to give us an extra gift when the funding is no longer a problem.

In my eyes, his only dream is to protect others and stay with Lucy.
Despite the tears I cried at the end I don't view it as a sad ending, maybe a bittersweet ending but not sad. David said he believed it was fine living for another's dream and in the end he even told Lucy that he's fine with dying if it meant protecting her dream. He succeeded and went out with a smile. For Lucy, she made it to the moon, while it's sad it's also freeing knowing David didn't die for nothing and she'll always have that first date.

If anything, instead of an alt ending I'd love V to meet Lucy at a bar in game and raise a glass for those who've passed and those who've remained. They don't need to know each other or get involved with talking. A simple gesture to show "Even if night city eventually forgets. We never will."

That or being able to shout "This is for Becca!" at Smasher. (I don't care if V wouldn't know of her)

Despite the tears I cried at the end I don't view it as a sad ending, maybe a bittersweet ending but not sad. David said he believed it was fine living for another's dream and in the end he even told Lucy that he's fine with dying if it meant protecting her dream. He succeeded and went out with a smile. For Lucy, she made it to the moon, while it's sad it's also freeing knowing David didn't die for nothing and she'll always have that first date.

If anything, instead of an alt ending I'd love V to meet Lucy at a bar in game and raise a glass for those who've passed and those who've remained. They don't need to know each other or get involved with talking. A simple gesture to show "Even if night city eventually forgets. We never will."

That or being able to shout "This is for Becca!" at Smasher. (I don't care if V wouldn't know of her)
Seriously, f*ck Adam Smasher. One of the absolute worst, if not the worst, bastards in NC. Genuine, irredeemable psycho.

Also agree about the ending being bittersweet rather than straight up tragedy. Lucy gets to escape that hell, David goes to Valhalla. Could be worse

Dear CDPR,

First of all, let me thank you for your tireless efforts to update your games and enhance our gaming experience. I would also like to express my great gratitude to you for working with Trigger Studio to produce such a great animation as Edgerunners. This is a perfect animation. Its pictures, music, characterization, composition and plot rhythm are excellent, I was totally immersed in this work, and everyone in the animation seemed to be real. At the same time, it also drove me to play the game again and recommend it to my friends, in spite of I was at the critical stage of applying for a doctor's degree.

However, such a perfect work has left a huge regret in my heart and even in the hearts of many players and audiences. That is the end of David and Lucy. Its influence on me and other players is so deep that we are afraid to hear the song << I Really Want to Stay At Your House>> again and can't get out of the sadness for a long time. It is enough to make a strong man cry out. Yes, the definition of cyberpunk means that the whole cyberpunk world is full of tragedies and regrets. Every small person at the bottom of society is struggling to survive. Every person who is killed may be whose son or whose mother, which also indicates that the outcome of david's team is doomed to be incomplete. However, in such a dark society, there are also some shining human brilliance, including family, friendship and love. These lights are more and more dazzling in the resistance of those little people against the unfair fate, and it is these lights that touch us. They make us not feel lonely and hopeless when we are immersed in the cyberpunk world. I believe that this is also the reason why you allow us to choose the outcome of different branch lines and main lines in the game. In the animation, the brilliance is gradually crushed. David did finally protect Lucy, his love. But as spectators, the brilliance we felt in the cyberpunk world has been taken away. The moon of Lucy's is just a symbol of her wish that she can no longer escape and feel safety. This is the reason why the scene is switched to the moon when she kisses David, David is her moon. And these are crushed in the end of the animation, which makes me feel desperate.

Therefore, I’m writing a petition to you. Please make an another ending for the animation, just like the classic animation of Fate series, even if it's just an episode. In that ending, Lucy and David are able to realize her dream together. This allows us to feel the greatness and role of human brilliance in such a world and love this game and animation more deeply. As for funds, no matter DLC or crowd-funding or what, I will pay for it. Please consider my petition, so I can proudly recommend CDPR that it’s a great group of people who stays with players and audiences, and it’s the creators of Cyberpunk2077, Edgerunners and the Witcher3. At the same time, I also beg all the players with the same feelings and wishes to write your reply under my petition, so that I can feel that I am not alone.

A loyal player
Totally appreciate your passion but got to disagree, the ending really is the only one that fits and the impact wouldn't be there if David could be redeemed. He is a tragic hero. I would have had Lucy take off her helmet in the final scene when she sees him on the moon.

to the Op it's Night city that is the only ending you can get. look at the game. as it is right now we die no matter what we do. No matter which life path we take, no matter how many side quest we do and no matter how strong we are we will die that is V's future.

because night city giveth and taketh away.

Totally appreciate your passion but got to disagree, the ending really is the only one that fits and the impact wouldn't be there if David could be redeemed. He is a tragic hero. I would have had Lucy take off her helmet in the final scene when she sees him on the moon
My heart will be totally dead if she did that...

to the Op it's Night city that is the only ending you can get. look at the game. as it is right now we die no matter what we do. No matter which life path we take, no matter how many side quest we do and no matter how strong we are we will die that is V's future.

because night city giveth and taketh away.
Yes I've seen his death when I see David got a hole on his head in the OP. Maybe just because the anime is so damn good that I was competely drowned in it and can't get out of David and Rebecca's end up.

Last edited:
the ending wouldn't have hit as hard if David managed to make it to the moon with Lucy and it also fits with the universe you either live a quiet long life in night city or die young in a blaze of glory

I was fine with the story as it unfolded. However, the only thing I found rather anticlimactic was how Rebecca was practically killed offscreen.

Personally I would actually love to see a minor change in the final episode where Trigger simply replaces the frames of Rebecca's mangled corpse with her simply being knocked unconscious and instead have a end-credit scene of her crawling out of the rubble an hour or so later and saying "Damn you Smasher; now I lost my favorite gun!" and then seeing David's remains and fall over him crying or something along those lines.

Then if CDPR is willing they could even have a small follow-up gig ingame where they slightly alter Rebecca's shotgun texture to have "REBECCA" scratched into the side so that when you find her gun you can get a gig after inspecting it where you find out where she lives, go to her apartment (which is already accessible ingame afaik), and find Rebecca there in order to return her gun. A bit like the Skippy gig but shorter.

Then as a reward she could tip you the exact amount of Eddies that she tipped David back then (when he brought the package) as a nod to the tv-series plus maybe give you some other iconic weapon from one of the other original members of the team (or some other item that once belonged to them).

That way Trigger only needs to make a minor edit to the final episode with only two voice-actors (Alex Cazares and Tomoyo Kurosawa) voicing a few additional lines for the added dialogue. Then if CDPR has the time (and interest) they could create her character ingame and you could have some minor interaction with her.

That's something I would love to see but I do realize that the chances of Trigger and CDPR going along with it would be slim to none. Rebecca still is "best girl" though.

Rebecca-small.jpg

the ending wouldn't have hit as hard if David managed to make it to the moon with Lucy and it also fits with the universe you either live a quiet long life in night city or die young in a blaze of glory
Yes, and the production team has already got what they want as the existing ending is.

we defenetly need an other ending, if you ever plan to make further Animes related to night city, you beter remove the Details on Rebeccas "potential" death scene. give her an option to survive like you did with the "adam Smasher shoots unleathel rockets like he did with jhonny" scene

and if you're already following my lead i might aswell gamble a bit more,:
add her to Vi's Universe.
give her an charackter model wich than can be used by Modders or fully implement her as a Fully Voicelined Ingame Companion
hell if you want involve her into FF 06 B5 just something, dont let her only be remembered by a shotgun and an empty flat, that's heartbreaking you Corpo basXXXXXXXs xD

if your not planning to do any of that, at least give her a place on the memorial field.

while im having a run:
add David Martinez's mothers urn as a quest wich leads us to more backstory and at the end to her having a slot there too.

Attachments

• Rebecca.jpg
    Rebecca.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 27
we defenetly need an other ending, if you ever plan to make further Animes related to night city, you beter remove the Details on Rebeccas "potential" death scene. give her an option to survive like you did with the "adam Smasher shoots unleathel rockets like he did with jhonny" scene

and if you're already following my lead i might aswell gamble a bit more,:
add her to Vi's Universe.
give her an charackter model wich than can be used by Modders or fully implement her as a Fully Voicelined Ingame Companion
hell if you want involve her into FF 06 B5 just something, dont let her only be remembered by a shotgun and an empty flat, that's heartbreaking you Corpo basXXXXXXXs xD

if your not planning to do any of that, at least give her a place on the memorial field.

while im having a run:
add David Martinez's mothers urn as a quest wich leads us to more backstory and at the end to her having a slot there too.
Mildly ... post.
Its like begging cdpr to turn cyberpunk into marvel like anime fanservicey garbage pille.
Hopefully NEVER.

I did liked your idea of david's mom urn or becca in the memorial, but aside of those, reviving characters just because ... in the audience can't deal with death is never a good idea.
Shes as dead as every raccoon i ever ran over.

Last edited by a moderator:
We could have a other ending or a sequel with Lucy who discovers that David is not totally dead

Why David can't be alive ?
he may be dead physically but maybe not his spirit, like we are in CYBERpunk, we just need to have his mind in a microchip as the style of Silverhand
Smasher could have made David believe dead just to keep him
Maybe Smasher got David's spirit to put it in a future creation, and V comes across it during a quest and we have to help David find a body (or just give his mind to Lucy).
OR it's in a Sequel with Lucy learning all about it and will try to find the chip
I think if we put his mind chip in a "fixed" corpse he can come back to life. If it's doable with Johnny, why not with David ?
That's just my opinion.

PS: sorry for my poor english

Top Bottom