Announcing Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

+
It's just my opinion, but something like that seem to me quite "vicious" :
"Do you want a more satisfying ending that the one in the base game ? Yes, so buy the expansion !"
Or
"Sorry, the most satisfying ending is sold separatly"
Or even worse^^
"You want a cure for V, buy the expansion !"

Personally, it wouldn't bother me at all, I'll buy the expansion anyway, but I can see the complains coming from far :)
Some people are going to be unhappy no matter what, but having a "happy" ending locked behind a paywall would give them and the press a near perfect excuse to shit on the game again. I appreciated V's dilemma regardless of path, myself. Would be rather entertaining if the darkest ending possible ships with the expansion.

Some people are going to be unhappy no matter what, but having a "happy" ending locked behind a paywall would give them and the press a near perfect excuse to shit on the game again. I appreciated V's dilemma regardless of path, myself. Would be rather entertaining if the darkest ending possible ships with the expansion.
Sure, some won't be happy anyway.
But yes, it's only if it's delivered by paid content (if it's free, no problem^^).
Even if CDPR is really honest and admit that they changed their mind afterward, after "hearing" the community complains... They will never be able to stop a lot of people from thinking (for obvious reasons) that it was planned from the start and it's just a "vicious" commercial trick to try to make even more money with the expansion.
So they can do it for free, they can admit that it was a mistake and they will do it better in the next game, but sell it via a paid expansion... bad idea :D

Sure, some won't be happy anyway.
But yes, it's only if it's delivered by paid content (if it's free, no problem^^).
Even if CDPR is really honest and admit that they changed their mind afterward, after "hearing" the community complains... They will never be able to stop a lot of people from thinking (for obvious reasons) that it was planned from the start and it's just a "vicious" commercial trick to try to make even more money with the expansion.
So they can do it for free, they can admit that it was a mistake and they will do it better in the next game, but sell it via a paid expansion... bad idea :D
It's up to them, sure, but a "bad" ending fits here. I don't think they would or should do that, it would be there if they wanted it to be. It's not like missing/broken systems. They finished the story. I would work to actively avoid those endings if they did such a thing personally. The only ending that really bothered me was the part in Temperance when Johnny hands an expensive guitar to a kid on his way back to Pacifica... Yeah, that'll go well.

Do you really think they would add more endings, though? I don't see, or expect, them to add things because of community bitching; They're "adding" vehicle combat and policing because they wanted to do that and couldn't get it work on last gen or couldn't get it to work at all (lack of time). I don't think they intended for there to be no motorcycles on the roads either, so... hopefully that changes as well.

Do you really think they would add more endings, though?
Me ? nope at all. I always think it will be pre "Nocturne OP55N1" content (pre-ending) or unrelated to main quest (like in TW3).
But who know... Something that I'm pretty sure it's > we'll know for sure only when we get our hands on the expansion, not before :)
Post automatically merged:

The only ending that really bothered me was the part in Temperance when Johnny hands an expensive guitar to a kid on his way back to Pacifica... Yeah, that'll go well.
To to react to that (a while after^^), it's just to underline that Johnny will no longer be the selfish rebel rockerboy that he ever was. I mean, he stop smoking. He spend all of his very last eddies to buy something great, for another person than him. He leave his all life behind. And he leave Night City alone, with his little bag as his only possession...
Even the fact he take off his glasses which he always have or almost, at the very end, follow the same idea... He won't ever be the famous selfish, hateful, rebel rockerboy. All of that thanks to V, the dreamer.

Last edited:
Me ? nope at all. I always think it will be pre "Nocturne OP55N1" content (pre-ending) or unrelated to main quest (like in TW3).
But who know... Something that I'm pretty sure it's > we'll know for sure only when we get our hands on the expansion, not before :)

To to react to that (a while after^^), it's just to underline that Johnny will no longer be the selfish rebel rockerboy that he ever was. I mean, he stop smoking. He spend all of his very last eddies to buy something great, for another person than him. He leave his all life behind. And he leave Night City alone, with his little bag as his only possession...
Even the fact he take off his glasses which he always have or almost, at the very end, follow the same idea... He won't ever be the famous selfish, hateful, rebel rockerboy. All of that thanks to V, the dreamer.
Yeah... I get that, but Johnny knows what's gonna happen to that young man, if he even makes it home, because of that kit. It feels like the ending to a hokey 50's film, think Mr. Smith Goes To Night City, even down to the "Hey Mister, you forgot this!".

For real though; I hope the expansion has a peculiarly brutal ending.

Without better endings what exactly is the point of buying the DLC's?

Prolong the suffering of V by doing some more stuff that in the end has no meaning or serves any purpose just to spend some money. I said it once and i say it again. After almost 25 years of support for CDPR i get my happy ending and a cure for V or not a penny will move into their pockets ever again.

Not because i think i am that important (lets be realistic here 25 years of support doesn't entitle me to anything or means anything for anyone except myself) but because of an old saying. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"

I do not dislike CDPR or hate them or any of that sort. But the cyperpunk genre is more than just abandoning all hope and watch characters you like suffer and die regardless of what they do. Even Blade Runner leaves you with Hope or Happy Feelings for at least someone you care about.

Yet even after watching edgerunners all i can think of is "Well that was a huge waste of time"

Prolong the suffering of V by doing some more stuff that in the end has no meaning or serves any purpose just to spend some money. I said it once and i say it again. After almost 25 years of support for CDPR i get my happy ending and a cure for V or not a penny will move into their pockets ever again.

Not because i think i am that important (lets be realistic here 25 years of support doesn't entitle me to anything or means anything for anyone except myself) but because of an old saying. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"

I do not dislike CDPR or hate them or any of that sort. But the cyperpunk genre is more than just abandoning all hope and watch characters you like suffer and die regardless of what they do. Even Blade Runner leaves you with Hope or Happy Feelings for at least someone you care about.

Yet even after watching edgerunners all i can think of is "Well that was a huge waste of time"
Even though I like bleak endings... I would have preferred endings like in TW3 and TW2, wholesome and meaningful for the story concerning your choices (don't get the same feeling here), not just your character getting snuffed for edginess sake

I feel you. That's why I'm like really really hoping that the sequel picks up where the endings leave off. It would be easy to incorporate them all in some fashion(I don't count the suicide as an ending. It's a game over. IMO) as a beginning gig for act 1. Have V entering the Crystal Palace, or have V and the Aldecaldos getting to Arizona, or have V being woken up by someone at Arasaka with a conscience, or have them being contacted by someone if they went back to earth in The Devil ending, or have Johnny in V's body searching for information on biochips and other stuff like that. Let me save my boys! Don't make it easy for V though. Make them go through Hell and back again, then back to Hell for an encore. Make them suffer, think all hope is lost, but then they win....or something. I didn't choose The Sun ending for nothing! I don't want to play as a new protag, not when the endings were so damn open-ended.

That's your question to answer. So, if you don't get what a happy ending its fuck off CDPR? That sounds an awful lot like entitlement to me. Who's to say the sequel isn't about V? Re-read the Star and Sun tarot cards again. Neither of them suggest a bad outcome.

I feel you. That's why I'm like really really hoping that the sequel picks up where the endings leave off. It would be easy to incorporate them all in some fashion(I don't count the suicide as an ending. It's a game over. IMO) as a beginning gig for act 1. Have V entering the Crystal Palace, or have V and the Aldecaldos getting to Arizona, or have V being woken up by someone at Arasaka with a conscience, or have them being contacted by someone if they went back to earth in The Devil ending, or have Johnny in V's body searching for information on biochips and other stuff like that. Let me save my boys! Don't make it easy for V though. Make them go through Hell and back again, then back to Hell for an encore. Make them suffer, think all hope is lost, but then they win....or something. I didn't choose The Sun ending for nothing! I don't want to play as a new protag, not when the endings were so damn open-ended.

To quote the actual game itself during Gary's quest, "open-ending endings suck." The irony that the actual endings are open-ended.

That's your question to answer. So, if you don't get what a happy ending its fuck off CDPR? That sounds an awful lot like entitlement to me. Who's to say the sequel isn't about V? Re-read the Star and Sun tarot cards again. Neither of them suggest a bad outcome.

To quote the actual game itself during Gary's quest, "open-ending endings suck." The irony that the actual endings are open-ended.

After 25 years of support from me for CDPR i have 2 options. Stop giving them money or supporting them. I choose the first option after watching edgerunners.
Thats not entitlement [...]

I paid for an open world RPG in which my choices influence Night City and shape the outcome of my story. Until i get that i will keep my money in my pocket.
Yes the Tarot cards are just that. Cards. Neither of the endings suggest a good outcome. So you might wanna re-play the game to freshen up the memory. V is dead as a hammer.

Last edited by a moderator:
After 25 years of support from me for CDPR i have 2 options. Stop giving them money or supporting them. I choose the first option after watching edgerunners.
Thats not entitlement [...].

I paid for an open world RPG in which my choices influence Night City and shape the outcome of my story. Until i get that i will keep my money in my pocket.
Yes the Tarot cards are just that. Cards. Neither of the endings suggest a good outcome. So you might wanna re-play the game to freshen up the memory. V is dead as a hammer.
Get over it. Just never pre-order again.

Stop giving them money or supporting them. I choose the first option after watching edgerunners.
Thats not entitlement [...].
Maybe they'll make a game that does what they say it will at launch next time, or not. I personally think you're being a bit melodramatic about it, but I sympathize with your sentiment. It's your money and your choice. I will have to spoil the surprise of Phantom Liberty before throwing down any cash, they'll need to finish the base game first as well. The devs deserve some credit for at least improving the experience. If I'm not mistaken, Anthem players didn't even get a refund for a season pass that never came to fruition. Can someone check me on that?

That's not to say we should ignore what did happen, they'll do it again otherwise, or that we should act like it's entirely okay because it's being fixed.. and that loot system will be dog shit forever most likely. Some things will never be perfect. The efforts are worth recognizing though as it is, sadly, exceptional that the team(s) are being afforded the chance by leadership to fix(and seemingly finish) the game.
Yep. It is a product; one you're not forced to buy or not, nor should you be compelled to do either. I get how you feel. There was some shady stuff that happened around launch and specifically last gen. Two good rules of thumb:
1. If you see less actual, long form(longer that 1-2 min clips at a time), of gameplay as launch approaches; something is wrong.
2. Don't pre-order games. Ever.
Yes the Tarot cards are just that. Cards.
Based

As a reminder: please keep any and all accusations of lying or similar away from forum posts. Such comments do not belong here, as they are disrespectful.

Is this thread unlocked? Or was that another one?

Anyhow, I saw some time ago an old lore vid, that (among else) mentions in a couple of sentences something relevant to speculations about the future plot -- what if, ...

What if V is a grandkid of Jonny somehow? The video speculates that the relic thing didn't work in Arasaka tests over and over, and, that V provided them with the answer why, which subsequently enabled Saburo to take over Yorinobu's body. What do they have in common? They are the parent and a child! I mean, when I was listening to it, it made total sense that an unrevealed thing in Cyberpunk 2077 is that V and Johnny are in a similar relationship.

Seeing that V is about to walk in Johnny's footsteps in Phantom Liberty opens the door for asserting that thought as a part of the possible explanation why, and why V should ever care about anything related to Johnny.

Oh, the video. I sadly lost it. Let me know if I should go digging... ah, found it, timestamped at 15:46:

And another one, about Johnny's memories

Another thought is that Johnny's memories diverge from the actual events. V might be plunging in to figure out what really happened, possibly with a further goal of using that knowledge.

Last edited:
Top Bottom