New CG Cinematic for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Shows Geralt “Killing Monsters”

+
Agreed CMDR, except there was no indication of rape. 'Kick her teeth in, get me the hammer', etc. They wanted to kill her right then and there, which for me shows the soldiers as unnecessarily brutal but not brigands or opportunists. I feel they really thought she performed those acts.

gregski said:
So maybe there won't be an option to side with Nilfgaard. Or any kingdom at all. Maybe that's what the devs mean by "a more personal story" - Geralt will be able to take sides of individuals while he's looking for Yen, but as far as politics go he will stay neutral.

TBH it would fit the more personal character of the story, even though personally I would love to deal with politics at least at the same level as we did in TW2.
I wouldn't hold my breath for that. Whether he likes it or not, Geralt is politically involved, if only for his past involvements, plus he's the father figure to totally politically involved Ciri (if completely against her will). The prophecy aside, she's also the only rightful heir to Cintra's throne, as well as the sovereign of the Skellige Islands that are one of the main locations in the game. And the devs stated some time ago that Geralt will be involved in some political struggle therein.

So I doubt very much that any of the warring sides would consider Geralt as politically neutral, whatever he might want to think, and thus they will involve him anyway - just like we've seen in the books.

@ Slim: There's an implication of it, we can interpret their words (paraphrase: "let's do it my way") in any number of ways. If some of us can think that their words meant a particular action, then perhaps Geralt did as well. Regardless, I still dislike the idea of walking away when someone gets beat up by thugs, doesn't matter if it's a man or woman.

That's the problem- these people were acting like thugs, and not like soldiers. If the idea was to punish her for her crimes, then do that and be done with it, but they crossed a line with introducing excessive, sadistic brutality in their actions.

Let's not forget that Geralt came at them unarmed, and didn't use excessive force- they had an opportunity to escape.

darcler said:
...So I doubt very much that any of the warring sides would consider Geralt as politically neutral, whatever he might want to think, and thus they will involve him anyway - just like we've seen in the books.

The eternal I am, I want, I must. Being the same subject, the 3 hardly match the same predicate.

Agent_Blue

slimgrin said:
there was no indication of rapes

I have come to agree with you, but it's hard to be positive

At first the party is definitely set on hanging her. In fact, the girl is already being hoisted when she bites one of the soldiers and everything seems to go further south. 1:11 onward one could take the «lean her down, do it my way» to mean or at least be an allusion to rape - especially given the take at 1:14 - but he immediately follows with «Get the hammer».

Truth is when Geralt makes his mind and goes in, the three men are certainly not attempting to rape her. The girl is standing immobilised, bear-hugged from behind, and another soldier is about to throw a haymaker at her.

This isn't just a detail. If their motives aren't sexual but punitive, to me that's an indication of her guilt. The only detail that seems to be out of place, though not entirely, is the fact there's no vestige of blood on her hands, face or clothes.

Agent_Blue

As if there were no elliptical solutions available to CDProjekt ...

Give me a break.

cmdrsilverbolt said:
I'm sorry, but I don't think we should expect to see explicit imagery of rape in a trailer meant for worldwide advertisement.

No, and rape is just what most people would expect in that scenario. It's not out of bounds to think it might happen, but I don't think it would have based on the details of the scene.

AgentBlue said:
As if there were no elliptical solutions...

Give me a break.
I think they were used.

AgentBlue said:
No, and rape is just what most people would expect in that scenario. It's not out of bounds to think it might happen, but I don't think it would have based on the details of the scene.
The details you both recount as evidence of it not happening are the same as those which other people consider as evidence of it likely to happen; there's room for interpretation here, and I see that.

But it doesn't matter what we think, but what Geralt thought. Like I said, even if he didn't want to walk away from a situation where people were excessively brutal against another person, I don't see what's wrong with that.

Agent_Blue

cmdrsilverbolt said:
I think they were used.

Sorry, footage shows otherwise.

It's not an absolute no from me, but after going through the entire trailer at 1080p and one quarter of the speed, I'd say no, they never intended to rape her.

The situation bears sexual tension by default: 3 men abusing one young girl. But at the most there's homoeopathic traces of an intent to commit rape.

http://www.wykop.pl/artykul/1619101/aktorzy-z-trailera-wiedzmina-3/ some interesting photos :)

From what i saw in the trailer it sounded like they would torture the girl but i did not see any rape implied.

AgentBlue said:

It's not an absolute no from me, but after going through the entire trailer at 1080p and one quarter of the speed, I'd say no, they never intended to rape her.

Sorry, there's no evidence for one or another conclusion. It's all a matter of imagination in basis our own experiences.

@Addar, well found. Thanks

Agent_Blue

Wichat said:
Sorry, there's no evidence for one or another conclusion. It's all a matter of imagination in basis our own experiences.

Here we go again.

The burden of proof lies with those claiming rape is at least alluded to. Not the other way around.

Sorry Wichat, but this is fairly indisputable.

AgentBlue said:

The situation bears sexual tension by default: 3 men abusing one young girl. But at the most there's homoeopathic traces of an intent to commit rape.
How can you say that there were no allusions, and then say the next statement, seems contradictory to me.

I've been saying all along, that there's an implication of it, so you're not telling me anything new.

I have also been saying that the scene is open to interpretation, which also means that it was open to interpretation for Geralt.

Additionally, I think we should understand that in this case Geralt is not us, and we are not him- he made up his own mind about the scene, and we don't know exactly what he perceived, but we do know how he reacted.

I think what we should talk about is what made him react that way, and not necessarily about what the trailer should or shouldn't have shown.

AgentBlue said:
Here we go again.

The burden of proof lies with those claiming rape is at least alluded to. Not the other way around.

Sorry Wichat, but this is fairly indisputable.

About rape, ok, about torture, where's the difference? Both are absolutly condemnable, and a crime, at least in my country. I was educated in this way, but that doesn't mean that I cannot understand and place an act, a feeling or an impulse in its context.

Agent_Blue

Wichat said:
About rape, ok, about torture, where's the difference? Both are absolutly condemnable, and a crime, at least in my country. I was educated in this way, but that doesn't mean that I cannot understand and place an act, a feeling or an impulse in its context.

There is a hell lot of a difference - and I'm talking story-wise, not passing judgement on the acts themselves, just to be perfectly clear about that.

Story-wise, punitive intent is antipodean from sexual drive because it implies the *Girl is guilty*.

So I'd say, no, it's not just a detail. It is in fact pivotal.

@silverbolt, If you're going to make the claim that rape is indeed alluded to in the trailer, the burden of proof is on you. So far what you have forwarded as evidence is on the shabby side. And this also goes for your recurrent claim that Geralt think this or that way that is somehow different than what contemporary forum members would. You can't just cherry pick and always to your favour the occurrences in which Geralt would think this or that that is somehow not obvious but not provide a single reason that makes you think that.

AgentBlue said:
Story-wise, punitive intent is antipodean from sexual drive because it implies the *Girl is guilty*.

No, it doesn't. People can torture out of sadism or frustration in general due to the war.

What you could say is that the fact that she's being tortured may be because she is guilty.

Not that it matters in any case when it comes to Geralt's reaction. Torture is not justified.

Agent_Blue

KnightofPhoenix said:
No, it doesn't. People can torture out of sadism or frustration in general due to the war.

What you could say is that the fact that she's being tortured may be because she is guilty.

Not that it matters in any case when it comes to Geralt's reaction. Torture is not justified.

No.
If you go through the trailer you'll realize they're actually in a hurry to hang her. If indeed all they wanted was to have a go at sadistic violence, then why wouldn't they just indulge in tormenting her extensively first? Remember, the girls is already being hoisted way before Geralt ever decides to act.

That's the crux of the matter. It's a pivotal detail.

Top Bottom