Visual Glitches Report Question

+
Hi everyone,

So is the "Report a visual glitch" supposed to be just reporting or are they supposed to help you fix the issues? I have been recently encountering severe visual glitches like texture bugs, missing geometry, LOD issues and odd colourful light sparkles. The part that makes no sense is that they happen now much more than at release. If you are curious this is the thread I made for the most common ones I see - https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/odd-texture-glitches.11110100/
After I reported the glitches they only asked me to provide additional information about them and then complete silence. It's been 2 weeks since. Do they need time to work on them? Are they trying to recreate the bugs? Are they supposed to help fix them or did they decide to ignore the case?
I know they most likely get a lot of reports but it would be nice if they let you know if they will help or if they are working on it.

Upvote 0
Handful of things here:

1.) Graphical issues have so many causes and so many different variables, that it's impossible to say: "Do [THIS] to fix the graphics." This leads directly to:

2.) Various graphical issues are not all going to be caused by the same thing. For example, the sparkling lights (especially during rain) is something that's known, and it's happening on Nvidia's end with a bunch of games. Whereas missing geometry or textures could simply be a matter of a corrupted installation. LOD issues could be due to mods, or it could be data corruption. Then again, the missing geometry and textures could be mod-related as well. Etc.

3.) In general, if you contact support, try to keep it to one (1) issue. Providing "laundry lists" simply means that there are too many disparate things to consider individually. That's going to slow down the process of receiving a response.

4.) Lastly, if an issue is already addressed and known, or, vice versa, if there is no known cause for certain issues. Either a fix is already underway, but not confirmed...or they have no idea what may be causing it. Either way, there may be no definite response.

To me, based on the pictures you've postes, it seems as if you're seeing either mod-related issues or you have a problem with your hardware / driver installation. Can you explain more about the state of your game?
  • What are your hardware specs?
  • Using any mods, or have you ever used any in the past?
  • New installation with a new game? Or did you carry over an older save?
  • What version of Windows?

Upvote 0
1.) Graphical issues have so many causes and so many different variables, that it's impossible to say: "Do [THIS] to fix the graphics."
I don't expect CDPR to give me a skeleton key to all visual glitches. I expected some sort of communication if these are common bugs, if they are known bugs, if these are bugs that are known to be caused by my PC hardware in which case I would then go to the corresponding brand and open a ticket there or if these are things that are worked on so I just have to wait. Anything but silence.
2.) Various graphical issues are not all going to be caused by the same thing. For example, the sparkling lights (especially during rain) is something that's known, and it's happening on Nvidia's end with a bunch of games. Whereas missing geometry or textures could simply be a matter of a corrupted installation. LOD issues could be due to mods, or it could be data corruption. Then again, the missing geometry and textures could be mod-related as well. Etc.
The sparkling might be an Nvidia issue but then again why it wasn't there on release? It's not only during rain but all the time and more commonly from objects that emit or strongly reflect light like light sources or chrome parts. The missing geometry and textures cannot be from corrupted installation or data because I reinstalled the game 2 times(and that is a clean reinstall from the guide here). Unless the GOG is corrupting the installation. Also did file verification countless times. Mods are out of the list with causes because I deleted the 5 mods I had, then did the clean reinstall following the guide, and then file verification just in case.
3.) In general, if you contact support, try to keep it to one (1) issue. Providing "laundry lists" simply means that there are too many disparate things to consider individually. That's going to slow down the process of receiving a response.
There's nowhere written that you should submit one issue at a time when you open a ticket. Which begs the question then why are you allowed to submit an issue only once? Meaning if I have a chance to submit only one ticket then I better include all the bugs I see.
4.) Lastly, if an issue is already addressed and known, or, vice versa, if there is no known cause for certain issues. Either a fix is already underway, but not confirmed...or they have no idea what may be causing it. Either way, there may be no definite response.
Any response is better than silence in my opinion. "We are working on it", "We need more time", "The issue is known", "We are unsure what causes the issue so we are investigating"....Something to show that maybe your case wasn't buried under the pile of other things never to be looked at therefore the issues potentially still present in future.

As I already mentioned and as my previous thread shows, I am not using mods and the game is as freshly installed as it can be. The issues were present on an older and the newest Nvidia driver.

• CPU - AMD Rysen Threadripper 1900x
  • MB - Asus ROG Strix X399
  • GPU - Nvidia RTX 2080 Super FE
  • RAM - 64GB Corsair Vengance
  • PSU - Corsair RM850i
  • Game installed on a WD m.2 SSD 500gb

• No mods are used currently, used in the past but deleted and then the game was clean-installed.
  • Clean installed game and new save game
  • Windows 10 22H2 build 19045.2251

Last edited:
Upvote 0
3.) There's nowhere written that you should submit one issue at a time when you open a ticket. Which begs the question then why are you allowed to submit an issue only once? Meaning if I have a chance to submit only one ticket then I better include all the bugs I see.
You can submit as much reports as you want :)
(10 bugs ? > 10 reports ! no problem).
But better to report one issue per ticket (to receive an answer about the specific issue you reported). If you include a bunch of issues in one ticket, it's just a "mess" to manage... Above all, if hundreds of players doing the same :(

Upvote 0
I don't expect CDPR to give me a skeleton key to all visual glitches. I expected some sort of communication if these are common bugs, if they are known bugs, if these are bugs that are known to be caused by my PC hardware in which case I would then go to the corresponding brand and open a ticket there or if these are things that are worked on so I just have to wait. Anything but silence.
As stated, for what you submitted, it may take a while for them to go through it all and respond. Normally responses will be returned within about 1 week. It will most likely be longer for the sort of spread of issues you've submitted.

The sparkling might be an Nvidia issue but then again why it wasn't there on release? It's not only during rain but all the time and more commonly from objects that emit or strongly reflect light like light sources or chrome parts. The missing geometry and textures cannot be from corrupted installation or data because I reinstalled the game 2 times(and that is a clean reinstall from the guide here). Unless the GOG is corrupting the installation. Also did file verification countless times. Mods are out of the list with causes because I deleted the 5 mods I had, then did the clean reinstall following the guide, and then file verification just in case.
Because the issue didn't exist on Nvidia's end back then. Drivers are constantly changing, firmware is being updated, new techniques are being used on the developers' end, and none of it is guaranteed to work 100%. This is technology. It's constantly in flux.

I can assure you that reinstalling won't help the sparkles. That will most likely have to come from Nvidia. For the other issues, the reinstallations prove one of the following:
  1. The error exists in your save state. If so, then beginning a new game using no mods should have resolved the errors.
    • However -- if this is save that DID use mods in the past, then removing the mods will not remove the reference data. The data will be permanent once the game is saved with mods running. And I would expect to see almost exactly the sorts of issues you're seeing if invalid reference data were to blame. I think this is the most likely answer.
  2. The issue is in your hardware / drivers somewhere. It's not uncommon for driver installations to become corrupted and exhibit weird behavior.

There's nowhere written that you should submit one issue at a time when you open a ticket. Which begs the question then why are you allowed to submit an issue only once? Meaning if I have a chance to submit only one ticket then I better include all the bugs I see.
It's not a law. I'm explaining to you how and why larger tickets will often take longer to receive a response. The shorter and more direct the ticket, the quicker it can be completed. It's up to you.

Clean installed game and new save game
How far are you in the main game? When did the issues first appear?

Upvote 0
As stated, for what you submitted, it may take a while for them to go through it all and respond. Normally responses will be returned within about 1 week. It will most likely be longer for the sort of spread of issues you've submitted.

Because the issue didn't exist on Nvidia's end back then. Drivers are constantly changing, firmware is being updated, new techniques are being used on the developers' end, and none of it is guaranteed to work 100%. This is technology. It's constantly in flux.
I get that. And I get that expecting something to be 100% perfect is unrealistic. What I don't get is if you are saying that it's more normal for things to function improperly rather than properly? Almost as if expecting things to function is a bad thing, which I don't agree with. At least now I know the rough time frame for a response so I don't wonder what the silence means.
I can assure you that reinstalling won't help the sparkles. That will most likely have to come from Nvidia. For the other issues, the reinstallations prove one of the following:
  1. The error exists in your save state. If so, then beginning a new game using no mods should have resolved the errors.
    • However -- if this is save that DID use mods in the past, then removing the mods will not remove the reference data. The data will be permanent once the game is saved with mods running. And I would expect to see almost exactly the sorts of issues you're seeing if invalid reference data were to blame. I think this is the most likely answer.
  2. The issue is in your hardware / drivers somewhere. It's not uncommon for driver installations to become corrupted and exhibit weird behavior.
As I stated previously the game is Clean-Istalled and the save file is brand new. All old saves were deleted. All issues are still present. So I am unsure how mods being the issue here will be the answer. This is unless GOG is doing something and I should have uninstalled GOG after the complete uninstallation and residual files removal of CP2077.
It's not a law. I'm explaining to you how and why larger tickets will often take longer to receive a response. The shorter and more direct the ticket, the quicker it can be completed. It's up to you.

How far are you in the main game? When did the issues first appear?
The issues start as soon as the mission "The Rescue" I think it's called. The one where you save Sandra Dorsett. After all one of the screenshots shows texture glitches in the final room of that quest. I don't think you can explore the world before that to check for issues. As a side note turning raytracing on and off doesn't change a thing as well as DLSS. In general changing graphics settings does nothing.

Upvote 0
I get that. And I get that expecting something to be 100% perfect is unrealistic. What I don't get is if you are saying that it's more normal for things to function improperly rather than properly? Almost as if expecting things to function is a bad thing, which I don't agree with. At least now I know the rough time frame for a response so I don't wonder what the silence means.
Yes and no.

Yes, it's perfectly common for things to function incorrectly. And the vast majority of the time, serious issues are the result of user-end errors. Hardware, driver, firmware, operating system, file table, BIOS -- system configuration issues. Sadly, due to the complexity of modern tech, even consoles are beginning to suffer from a degree of this.

No, it's not at all problem to expect something to work well. Just don't be surprised when (not if) you encounter issues. And, for example, CP2077 works very well now. If the problems you're experiencing were due to the game not functioning properly, then every, single person in the world would be seeing exactly the same issues in exactly the same areas. The code doesn't change from one PC to the next.

The problems exist somewhere in your save, installation, or system config. We just need to narrow down where. If it's appearing in a brand new game under a clean installation...this is going to be a bit of a challenge, I'd expect.

As I stated previously the game is Clean-Istalled and the save file is brand new. All old saves were deleted. All issues are still present. So I am unsure how mods being the issue here will be the answer. This is unless GOG is doing something and I should have uninstalled GOG after the complete uninstallation and residual files removal of CP2077.
I was more or less double-checking on that. It would have been the easiest solution. The errors are classic for things like LoD mods or graphical overhaul mods that are removed mid-playthrough, resulting in assets being incorrectly drawn into the game, since the game is still trying to load modded assets that have been removed.

Since you're certain that such isn't the case, that makes things much more difficult.

The issues start as soon as the mission "The Rescue" I think it's called. The one where you save Sandra Dorsett. After all one of the screenshots shows texture glitches in the final room of that quest. I don't think you can explore the world before that to check for issues. As a side note turning raytracing on and off doesn't change a thing as well as DLSS. In general changing graphics settings does nothing.
But the prologue and training missions are fine, as well as everything up to that point. Hm. That is quite weird.

So:
  • PSU - Corsair RM850i
Let's start with all the basics. Move through each of the steps below, then try the game before moving on to the next step:

0.) Verify / repair the installation through GOG, Steam, Epic, etc. (I'm assuming you've probably already done this.)

1.) If the program is installed anywhere under the Program Files or Program Files(x86) directory, move the installation (or installation library) to the root of the drive or a folder of your own creation. For example:
C:\Cyberpunk\...
or
C:\MyRPGgames\Cyberpunk\...

The default Windows installation paths will be protected directories. It can wreak havoc with games under certain security settings. You should be able to just move the installation -- you do not need to reinstall. Just move it via whatever method your platform uses (GOG, Steam, Epic, etc.) and verify the installation.

2.) If using any form of overclocking or underclocking, return ALL hardware to default clock and voltage speeds.

3.) Anti-virus. Completely disable it for testing. For really aggressive programs (Norton, McAffee, Comodo, etc.) you may want to completely uninstall it. Anti-virus can cause a lot of problems with games. (Especially if they're installed under protected directories.)

4.) Drivers. Doing this is a pain, now, thanks to Windows automatically installing things if it detects them missing. First, get the latest drivers directly from Nvidia.com, but do NOT install them yet. Download and install both Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) and CCleaner. Then, in the following order:
  • Restart in Safe Mode without networking.
  • Remove all GPU drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller. Get everything Nvidia related.
  • Run CCleaner to clean the Registry of any empty keys. When it finishes, run the cleaning option over and over until it reports "No conflicts."
    • Restart the computer into Safe Mode without networking again.
    • Run CCleaner repeatedly again until it reports "No conflicts."
    • Restart into Safe Mode without networking.
    • ^ Keep that up until the program reports "No Conflicts," immediately following a restart. If you have a system that's been used heavily for a year or two, this might take a few rounds.
  • Now, still in Safe Mode without networking, install the new Nvidia drivers manually, selecting the CLEAN installation option. I strongly discourage using Geforce Experience. It's not only relatively ineffective, but it can be a bit invasive and introduce issues where there would otherwise be none.
  • Lastly, restart the PC into Windows normally.
That should resolve any form of driver issue that may exist.

Let's see if any of that has any effect.

Upvote 0
Yes and no.

Yes, it's perfectly common for things to function incorrectly. And the vast majority of the time, serious issues are the result of user-end errors. Hardware, driver, firmware, operating system, file table, BIOS -- system configuration issues. Sadly, due to the complexity of modern tech, even consoles are beginning to suffer from a degree of this.
I don't omit the possibility of an error on my side but given the pile of things I've done to troubleshoot and check then double and triple check, I expect to have found the issue at this point. Now that you mention BIOS I haven't done a BIOS update recently.
No, it's not at all problem to expect something to work well. Just don't be surprised when (not if) you encounter issues. And, for example, CP2077 works very well now. If the problems you're experiencing were due to the game not functioning properly, then every, single person in the world would be seeing exactly the same issues in exactly the same areas. The code doesn't change from one PC to the next.
Except since I started researching this I've seen the exact same issues with other people's copies of CP2077 either via a video or screenshots. Which makes me hopeful that the bugs will get more attention. The only difference is that they get them in different areas than me so it's odd.
The problems exist somewhere in your save, installation, or system config. We just need to narrow down where. If it's appearing in a brand new game under a clean installation...this is going to be a bit of a challenge, I'd expect.

I was more or less double-checking on that. It would have been the easiest solution. The errors are classic for things like LoD mods or graphical overhaul mods that are removed mid-playthrough, resulting in assets being incorrectly drawn into the game, since the game is still trying to load modded assets that have been removed.

Since you're certain that such isn't the case, that makes things much more difficult.

But the prologue and training missions are fine, as well as everything up to that point. Hm. That is quite weird.
At least I haven't noticed these issues then. It's like the game before "The Rescue" is a different one. I won't be surprised if it is in fact, for performance reasons. Meaning for the Street Kid for example only the Glen exists and loads during the beginning because you aren't supposed to go anywhere else at the time anyway. Then again haven't tested and don't know if that's how the game operates.
So:
  • PSU - Corsair RM850i
Let's start with all the basics. Move through each of the steps below, then try the game before moving on to the next step:

0.) Verify / repair the installation through GOG, Steam, Epic, etc. (I'm assuming you've probably already done this.)
Indeed I have done that many times now.
1.) If the program is installed anywhere under the Program Files or Program Files(x86) directory, move the installation (or installation library) to the root of the drive or a folder of your own creation. For example:
C:\Cyberpunk\...
or
C:\MyRPGgames\Cyberpunk\...

The default Windows installation paths will be protected directories. It can wreak havoc with games under certain security settings. You should be able to just move the installation -- you do not need to reinstall. Just move it via whatever method your platform uses (GOG, Steam, Epic, etc.) and verify the installation.
For this exact reason, I have windows on one SSD and everything else installed on another. For example, if my Windows is installed on a Samsung NVME M.2 aka "Disc C" then every other piece of software is installed on WD M.2 aka "Disc D". So maybe this makes this step pointless?
2.) If using any form of overclocking or underclocking, return ALL hardware to default clock and voltage speeds.
Overclocking returned to default a long time ago due to Windows stability issues.
3.) Anti-virus. Completely disable it for testing. For really aggressive programs (Norton, McAffee, Comodo, etc.) you may want to completely uninstall it. Anti-virus can cause a lot of problems with games. (Especially if they're installed under protected directories.)
Norton uninstalled at the time with this exact thought. Only Windows Defender is present.
4.) Drivers. Doing this is a pain, now, thanks to Windows automatically installing things if it detects them missing. First, get the latest drivers directly from Nvidia.com, but do NOT install them yet. Download and install both Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) and CCleaner. Then, in the following order:
  • Restart in Safe Mode without networking.
  • Remove all GPU drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller. Get everything Nvidia related.
  • Run CCleaner to clean the Registry of any empty keys. When it finishes, run the cleaning option over and over until it reports "No conflicts."
    • Restart the computer into Safe Mode without networking again.
    • Run CCleaner repeatedly again until it reports "No conflicts."
    • Restart into Safe Mode without networking.
    • ^ Keep that up until the program reports "No Conflicts," immediately following a restart. If you have a system that's been used heavily for a year or two, this might take a few rounds.
  • Now, still in Safe Mode without networking, install the new Nvidia drivers manually, selecting the CLEAN installation option. I strongly discourage using Geforce Experience. It's not only relatively ineffective, but it can be a bit invasive and introduce issues where there would otherwise be none.
  • Lastly, restart the PC into Windows normally.
Already have done that. Except for the CCleaner part which I don't trust at all ever since some time ago it broke my Windows messing with the Registry in a way it shouldn't have. I rather reinstall Windows than use CCleaner and then wonder where my problems come from.
That should resolve any form of driver issue that may exist.

Let's see if any of that has any effect.

Upvote 0
I don't omit the possibility of an error on my side but given the pile of things I've done to troubleshoot and check then double and triple check, I expect to have found the issue at this point. Now that you mention BIOS I haven't done a BIOS update recently.
Except since I started researching this I've seen the exact same issues with other people's copies of CP2077 either via a video or screenshots. Which makes me hopeful that the bugs will get more attention. The only difference is that they get them in different areas than me so it's odd.
It's all irrelevant. Now, you're seeing it. Doesn't matter if it's easy to fix or hard to fix. The reality is that it's not going to magically get better until someone figures out how and why it's happening. Whether that takes 15 minutes or 2 years.

In my game, I have crazy shadow Z-fighting, especially in the Badlands...and it never used to be there before. Can't figure out any way to make it stop. Just gotta put up with it and keep fiddling.

At least I haven't noticed these issues then. It's like the game before "The Rescue" is a different one. I won't be surprised if it is in fact, for performance reasons. Meaning for the Street Kid for example only the Glen exists and loads during the beginning because you aren't supposed to go anywhere else at the time anyway. Then again haven't tested and don't know if that's how the game operates.
Curious. Exactly what sorts of things seem identical in the different cases you've come across? If there's something specific we can try to affect, that would probably give some direction.

For this exact reason, I have windows on one SSD and everything else installed on another. For example, if my Windows is installed on a Samsung NVME M.2 aka "Disc C" then every other piece of software is installed on WD M.2 aka "Disc D". So maybe this makes this step pointless?
Yes, if nothing is installed under Program Files or Program Files(x86), this step is already taken care of. This won't be the issue.

Overclocking returned to default a long time ago due to Windows stability issues.
Check. That's ruled out.

Norton uninstalled at the time with this exact thought. Only Windows Defender is present.
There goes that possibility. Check.

Already have done that. Except for the CCleaner part which I don't trust at all ever since some time ago it broke my Windows messing with the Registry in a way it shouldn't have. I rather reinstall Windows than use CCleaner and then wonder where my problems come from.
The CCleaner step is a good idea to ensure there are not duplicate keys. Only other way to do it is to know what to look for an manually locate and delete potentially tens of keys that don't point anywhere but can potentially start pointing to the wrong spot if you were to, say, install programs / drivers / etc. in such a way as a broken key became active again and started pointing to the wrong place. (Like reinstalling the same game multiple times.)

Either way, if you've done a clean installation of the drivers using DDU, even without the CCleaner step, that should have had at least some effect. No real reason to worry about the CCleaner thing if you're not seeing weirdness elsewhere in your system. Just a precautionary thing to do a few times per year to be sure everything is kept neat and tidy.

(Also, it should not be causing any problems. An empty key is an empty key. It points to nothing. Removing those will not negatively affect your system in any way. I don't think CCleaner likely caused whatever problem you were seeing -- unless you used to affect the registry in places other than removing empty keys. In general, no, you don't want to go "messing" with the Registry unless you know exactly what you're changing. That's very true.)

And...noots. This is going to be a hard one.

Next considerations:

1.) What platform are you playing on?

2.) Are the issues able to be reliably recreated? Or do they come and go?

3.) Do you notice any changes in the way the bugs happen, perhaps from one reload to another, following a system restart, maybe it's a bit different days later, etc.?

4.) Can you start another new save and speedrun to that point? See if it happens the same way, again?

5.) What framerate are you running at, both high-end and low-end?

Upvote 0
BIOS update did nothing. So that's checked.
Curious. Exactly what sorts of things seem identical in the different cases you've come across? If there's something specific we can try to affect, that would probably give some direction.
What I noticed is that the "black spots" have 2 different kinds. Ones that are always there like in V's apartment and there are also the ones that can happen anywhere it seems. This second kind though can appear in a place where everything was fine. For example, I have a mission and I clear the area then I get flatlined so I reload and when I go through the same place there are black spots. The same ones I've also seen appearing in real-time as well. They like "creep-in" sort of. This second kind also happens during sunny weather more often.
V's_Apartment.jpgTextureGlitches_3.jpg

The "patchy shading" happens everywhere. Again examples can be found in just a few minutes of exploring. They look like harsh texture seams, broken or inverted geometry normals, or geometry smoothing group issues. Seems to be harsher or less noticeable depending on the lighting and it seems they are static.
TextureGlitches_2.jpgTextureGlitches_1.jpgKabukiMarket_2.jpgKabukiMarket_1.jpg

Texture flashes happen in fixed places as well it seems. Again two kinds. One that it seems like 2 different textures are fighting or 2 different textured geometries are occupying the same 3d space so the renderer doesn't know which one to show. And then there's the kind that I have seen only in the last room of "The Rescue". There it seems like overlapping geometry of sorts. The first kind can only be spotted on a video but of the second I captured a screenshot of.
TheRescue_1.jpgTheRescue_3.jpg

LOD issues are not so common but again 2 kinds. One that is static meaning this object always stays at the lowest level like this lamp post. And the other ones are more like it needs around a minute to load the object.
LOD_Issies.jpg

Missing geometry is in the case with the Militech trucks fixed location. The first time when I visit the area at the most a bumper or 2 will be missing. But second time half the vehicles are gone.
Missing_Geo.jpg

Also encountering missing tables and benches here and there. There are these moments when cars on the road are missing geometry so you end up with sitting people kind of gliding on the asphalt while holding a steering wheel (which is not missing) and sometimes the tires are there as well. At least this one makes you laugh. And the other scenario is very creepy where you can see in the middle of the night a street with a row of standing people on the road...just standing tall there not even T-posing. Again the cars missing but the people just stand there. Not sure if these are related but at least don't happen that often.

1.) What platform are you playing on?
GOG
2.) Are the issues able to be reliably recreated? Or do they come and go?
Yes, all of them except the second kind of "black spots" I mentioned above. They can come and go but can be found if you spend a few minutes exploring.
3.) Do you notice any changes in the way the bugs happen, perhaps from one reload to another, following a system restart, maybe it's a bit different days later, etc.?
As I mentioned above only the "black spots" seem to be affected by reloading a save game.
4.) Can you start another new save and speedrun to that point? See if it happens the same way, again?
I can start another one but I doubt it would be any different given that I started 3 new characters as a test since I first noticed the issues and it's the same every time. Same spots same bugs.
5.) What framerate are you running at, both high-end and low-end?
Not sure what you mean. Are you asking about real-time frame rate or if I have the option to lock the min and max frame rate on in the video settings of the game?

On a side note, I don't know if I can upload videos here. I guess it would be easier to illustrate the issues better that way and I won't bore you with laundry lists.

Upvote 0
Not sure what you mean. Are you asking about real-time frame rate or if I have the option to lock the min and max frame rate on in the video settings of the game?

On a side note, I don't know if I can upload videos here. I guess it would be easier to illustrate the issues better that way and I won't bore you with laundry lists.
Let's break it down to the following:
  • Vsync on or off?
  • refresh rate of your monitor?
  • refresh rate you're using, if different?
  • frame limit set in-game?
  • frame limit set in drivers / software (Nvidia Control Panel, RTSS, etc.)
  • What are the highest FPS you see in the game? What are the lowest? Average?
For the areas that give you trouble, keep an FPS display on and see if you can detect a pattern. Or, maybe it won't matter.

I can start another one but I doubt it would be any different given that I started 3 new characters as a test since I first noticed the issues and it's the same every time. Same spots same bugs.
Nevermind in that case. This was just to absolutely rule out any sort of reference data carry-over. If you've started from the beginning even once, that's all the evidence we need.

Yes, all of them except the second kind of "black spots" I mentioned above. They can come and go but can be found if you spend a few minutes exploring.
Yick. When you encounter them, are they always in exactly the same spot, with exactly the same color, and they flicker exactly the same way? For example, the ones that I see in V's apartment. Are those always the polygons that are affected, or do the "patches" seem to appear and reappear in different places around the apartment?

As I mentioned above only the "black spots" seem to be affected by reloading a save game.
And, now, this is not looking good.

So...that means that if you reload a saved game, the behavior will then change, perform correctly for a while, then the issues will begin to appear?

This is starting to smell like hardware. What I think you may be seeing (still deducing over here: nothing is certain yet): is bad RAM or VRAM. If there are bad sectors on the chips, then the data might be getting corrupted in real-time. Good news is that if it is the motherboard RAM, fixing the issue is both simple and fairly cheap. If it's the VRAM...your GPU will need replacing. But, I'm only mentioning that because it's a possibility that fits the situation.

The only thing that gives me pause is that the issues seem so very particular and specific. Normally, when a PC suffers from a dying GPU or CPU, the artifacting is crazy. Like a kaleidoscope of multicolored glitter all over your screen, or giant, pink lines everywhere. This seems to be affecting only specific parts of the rendering, and I'm hoping it's always exactly the same stuff in exactly the same way.

Upvote 0
Let's break it down to the following:
  • Vsync on or off?
On in game settings
  • refresh rate of your monitor?
60Hz
  • refresh rate you're using, if different?
Same
  • frame limit set in-game?
No
  • frame limit set in drivers / software (Nvidia Control Panel, RTSS, etc.)
In Nvidia Control Panel it's set to off and the game uses the general settings as I haven't made a dedicated profile for it.
  • What are the highest FPS you see in the game? What are the lowest? Average?
In gameplay, it's hard to tell but I think it's running at 60 fps and only sometimes I do get frame drops here and there. It's usually for a second or 2 and in very crowded areas especially when I drive fast through such areas. I ran the in-game benchmark and the average fps is 59.89, min is 31.90 and max is 79.52. This is odd because the counter never dropped below 60 and it was very smooth so not sure how accurate are these results.
For the areas that give you trouble, keep an FPS display on and see if you can detect a pattern. Or, maybe it won't matter.
Haven't noticed any FPS difference in the glitching areas.
Yick. When you encounter them, are they always in exactly the same spot, with exactly the same color, and they flicker exactly the same way? For example, the ones that I see in V's apartment. Are those always the polygons that are affected, or do the "patches" seem to appear and reappear in different places around the apartment?
They are all exactly the same. Only the dark spots shading changes darkness depending on the lighting it seems. The only black spots that stay the same are in V's apartment.
And, now, this is not looking good.

So...that means that if you reload a saved game, the behavior will then change, perform correctly for a while, then the issues will begin to appear?

This is starting to smell like hardware. What I think you may be seeing (still deducing over here: nothing is certain yet): is bad RAM or VRAM. If there are bad sectors on the chips, then the data might be getting corrupted in real-time. Good news is that if it is the motherboard RAM, fixing the issue is both simple and fairly cheap. If it's the VRAM...your GPU will need replacing. But, I'm only mentioning that because it's a possibility that fits the situation.

The only thing that gives me pause is that the issues seem so very particular and specific. Normally, when a PC suffers from a dying GPU or CPU, the artifacting is crazy. Like a kaleidoscope of multicolored glitter all over your screen, or giant, pink lines everywhere. This seems to be affecting only specific parts of the rendering, and I'm hoping it's always exactly the same stuff in exactly the same way.
So I did more testing and it seems I was a little wrong about the black areas. It seems there are no types really. It's more like where their location is, what is the lighting, the time of day and the weather. For example, the black jagged spots are actually the texture glitches and depending on the lighting they can become very dark. Went to the place where I saw them creeping in and it seems that in the right weather they are very unnoticeable but when the weather and lighting change they become a lot darker so the illusion is that they creep in. Unfortunately, I saw this only once and can't recreate it since the conditions need to be specific and I don't know what they were. Most of the time they are just dark or shaded spots. The same thing is with the light sparkles. During the night they are less common. During the day they are very common and during foggy weather, they go crazy especially when you look at the water. Then it's like an old film with sparkles and black dots.

I made videos which I uploaded to YouTube so please take a look. One of them perfectly illustrates what I mean by "geometry and texture fighting". It's like someone at CDPR was changing some meshes and forgot to delete the old ones.

Texture glitches:

Texture flashing and missing geometry:
https://youtu.be/VxoWUvSL0p8
https://youtu.be/9L79H2xv2ws

Light sparkles:
https://youtu.be/aOkzDo_xvGo
Post automatically merged:

In summary, I've had a faulty 1080ti in the past and the glitches that happen are just as you said, "kaleidoscope of multicoloured glitter all over your screen" pink/magenta lines and patches and kind of dynamic or moving. These are too static and consistent.
Some of the texture glitches/seams/black shading seem to cross large distances like cast shadows except they aren't. I wonder if this is a geometry or a texture bug. The interesting part is that they have, often, almost the reverse lighting of what should be there. Like light bleed which is typical for rasterisation rendering but not exactly the same.
The light sparkles seem to be small glimpses to "the void" as when you zoom into the distance where you see them they disappear. I guess this happens because the mesh gets rendered there so you don't see through or something. Sometimes they happen on closer objects though so can't explain those.
The chairs and the area with the Militech trucks to me seem like leftover-different-textured geometry and the engine doesn't know which to display first since they occupy the same 3d space. The trucks themselves have missing geometry but the hitbox seems to be there. They are indestructible though not sure if that's because they are part of the mission or this is part of the bug.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To start with, I'm not sure I'm totally understanding what you're seeing in all of the videos. I watched 1 and 2 repeatedly, and everything looks fine to me. In video 3, I totally see the weirdness with the dumpster -- that one is clear.

I do not think you have anything to worry about with card. It seems to be performing fine, and the error is 100% consistent for that video, at least. That speaks of software, not hardware. So I'd feel confident saying the problem is in either the game or the drivers. Let's see if we can confirm the dumpster in video 3 on a different system -- where exactly is that in the game? Maybe post both a zoomed out and more zoomed in pic of the world map. I'll stroll over there and throw out all my burrito wrappers.

Upvote 0
Did you watch the rest of the videos? I take it you just want to focus on the issue with the dark spots because in some of the videos you can clearly see the textures and lighting going crazy like a Christmas tree. The missing geometry? The chairs and broken textures where "The Riot" club is to name a few? I don't think I can make the issues more apparent than this but I will try with a few screenshots anyway...

From this video

Untitled-1.jpgUntitled-2.jpgUntitled-3.jpgUntitled-4.jpgUntitled-5.jpg
More incomeing...

From this video

Untitled-1.jpgUntitled-2.jpgUntitled-3.jpgUntitled-4.jpgUntitled-5.jpgUntitled-6.jpgUntitled-7.jpgUntitled-8.jpg

From this video

This is the video with the dumpster you mentioned you want the location of.

Untitled-1.jpgUntitled-2.jpgTextureGlitches_3.jpgUntitled-3.jpgUntitled-4.jpg

From this video

Untitled-1.jpg

From this video

Untitled-1.jpgTheRescue_1.jpgTheRescue_2.jpgTheRescue_3.jpg

From this video

Untitled-0.jpgUntitled-1.jpgUntitled-2.jpgUntitled-3.jpgUntitled-4.jpgUntitled-5.jpgUntitled-6.jpgUntitled-7.jpgUntitled-8.jpgUntitled-9.jpg

From this video

Untitled-1.jpgUntitled-2.jpgUntitled-4.jpgUntitled-5.jpgUntitled-6.jpg

From this video

Untitled-1.jpgUntitled-2.jpgUntitled-3.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    722.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Upvote 0
1671472905918.png1671470595129.pngDid you watch the rest of the videos? I take it you just want to focus on the issue with the dark spots because in some of the videos you can clearly see the textures and lighting going crazy like a Christmas tree. The missing geometry? The chairs and broken textures where "The Riot" club is to name a few? I don't think I can make the issues more apparent than this but I will try with a few screenshots anyway...

From this video

View attachment 11335744View attachment 11335747View attachment 11335750View attachment 11335753View attachment 11335756
More incomeing...

From this video

View attachment 11335759View attachment 11335762View attachment 11335765View attachment 11335768View attachment 11335771View attachment 11335774View attachment 11335777View attachment 11335780

From this video

This is the video with the dumpster you mentioned you want the location of.

View attachment 11335783View attachment 11335786View attachment 11335795View attachment 11335798View attachment 11335801

From this video

View attachment 11335804

From this video

View attachment 11335807View attachment 11335810View attachment 11335813View attachment 11335816

From this video

View attachment 11335819View attachment 11335822View attachment 11335825View attachment 11335828View attachment 11335831View attachment 11335834View attachment 11335837View attachment 11335840View attachment 11335843View attachment 11335846

From this video

View attachment 11335849View attachment 11335852View attachment 11335858View attachment 11335861View attachment 11335864

From this video

View attachment 11335867View attachment 11335870View attachment 11335873
Yes, I watched the videos. That's why I said that I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're seeing in the videos. The playback seemed perfectly fine to me except for the dark spots on the dumpster and some of the other assets in that particular video.

Also, too much at once, DiamondPaw. These are not all the same issue, and so are most likely not caused by the same things. One at a time. Something I can remove from the list right away is the "texture flashing" thing:
1671470595129.png
^This stuff. Regardless of where it occurs. This is what's known as "Z-fighting". It happens when textures overlay one another, and the GPU has trouble differentiating which one should be drawn on top of the other. The further away the textures are, the more likely their 3D positional coordinates will merge, and they'll swap positions from one frame to another. Nothing to be done about this if it happens. It happens in lots of games. You'll see it on ground textures, graffiti on walls, decals left by gunfire on corners of walls or in places where two different textures meet, etc. It's ugly and distracting when it happens, but it's normal.

I've already answered about the sparkles.
1671471108936.png
That's something happening in the Nvidia ray tracing technology. It will need to be fixed on Nvidia's end. You don't have it anywhere near as bad as some examples I've seen! The first time I saw it, the game looked like a regular light show.

The "shadow lines" thing:
1671471372730.png
Absolutely no definite idea. I would never have even noticed that from the video if you hadn't added the descriptions. Still, I can confirm I don't see anything like this on my end. Very likely an issue between game / drivers / hardware. Something isn't being communicated properly. I'd take this straight to Nvidia's support. This is odd behavior. I'd recommend rolling drivers back or continuing to update. Look for changes in the behavior -- even if the issue is still there.

Issues like this, which you seem to highlight in various videos:
1671471670784.png
It's just geometry that doesn't like up exactly. This is also passingly common in video games. Things aren't going to be perfect. When you're building assets like this (partly modular and partly custom for any given scene), it's not humanly possible to spend time making sure that every, single vertex lines up precisely. (Projects like the Unofficial Skyrim Patch have worked on things like this for just one game for over 11 years now...and they STILL don't have them all fixed.)

Then, we have the two things which are definitely issues that I can't begin to explain.

1.) The weird shadows blocks.
Yup!
1671472487051.png
That's my game. It's part of it. Most likely just a matter of geometry collision and ray tracing not being 100% accurate in places. You can send it in, but to be honest...I wouldn't expect an overhaul of the game to resolve issues like this. In the scheme of things, this is absolutely minor.

2.) The disappearing parts of cars and stuff. That one is off-the-hook. With those assets missing / corrupted, I don't see how your game is not crashing.

Let's refocus here, now that we've confirmed the the shadow thing is likely universal. The disappearing car parts is not normal.
1671472905918.png
I'm also seeing the same sort of behavior in elements of the terrain in one of the videos where you're looking through a chain link fence. The world simply doesn't draw in at all. Has this always happened?

Upvote 0
Hi everyone,

So is the "Report a visual glitch" supposed to be just reporting or are they supposed to help you fix the issues? I have been recently encountering severe visual glitches like texture bugs, missing geometry, LOD issues and odd colourful light sparkles. The part that makes no sense is that they happen now much more than at release. If you are curious this is the thread I made for the most common ones I see - https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/odd-texture-glitches.11110100/
After I reported the glitches they only asked me to provide additional information about them and then complete silence. It's been 2 weeks since. Do they need time to work on them? Are they trying to recreate the bugs? Are they supposed to help fix them or did they decide to ignore the case?
I know they most likely get a lot of reports but it would be nice if they let you know if they will help or if they are working on it.
There are two different support departments:
"Visual issues" are gameplay and interface issues.
"Glitches" are performance issues.

Your issues seem to be performance issues, not visual issues, so make sure to report here.

It can take several weeks for them to reply.

As usual, they will ask you to reset your AppData, clean-install GPU drivers, verify/validate game files, remove mods, clear the directX shader cache, etc.

Upvote 0
When you said you don't see anything wrong in the videos, you scared me there for a second.
2.) The disappearing parts of cars and stuff. That one is off-the-hook. With those assets missing / corrupted, I don't see how your game is not crashing.

Let's refocus here, now that we've confirmed the the shadow thing is likely universal. The disappearing car parts is not normal.
View attachment 11335951
I'm also seeing the same sort of behavior in elements of the terrain in one of the videos where you're looking through a chain link fence. The world simply doesn't draw in at all. Has this always happened?
At least I have some answers now. The Militech truck missing geometry is not the only place where it happens but it's the only place where it happens consistently. The chain-link fence ground issue happens in a lot of places and it wasn't always a thing.

Upvote 0
When you said you don't see anything wrong in the videos, you scared me there for a second.

At least I have some answers now. The Militech truck missing geometry is not the only place where it happens but it's the only place where it happens consistently. The chain-link fence ground issue happens in a lot of places and it wasn't always a thing.
When did this start? (Specific patch version in which you first noticed it, if you can remember.) Does this occur with a new game, as well?

Upvote 0
When did this start? (Specific patch version in which you first noticed it, if you can remember.) Does this occur with a new game, as well?
I don't remember because I played for a few months on release and then started again just recently.
Yes, that's the 3rd or 4th new game test since the whole clean-reinstall-no-mods and all the other things we talked about in the beginning.

There are two different support departments:
"Visual issues" are gameplay and interface issues.
"Glitches" are performance issues.

Your issues seem to be performance issues, not visual issues, so make sure to report here.

It can take several weeks for them to reply.

As usual, they will ask you to reset your AppData, clean-install GPU drivers, verify/validate game files, remove mods, clear the directX shader cache, etc.
Interesting. Not very intuitive especially for non-native English speaker. What goes under the "gameplay" issues? The "interface" is the UI I guess.
I honestly thought "performance issues" are much more severe issues like game crashes, corrupted files, oddly low fps, stutter and of the sort.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't remember because I played for a few months on release and then started again just recently.
Yes, that's the 3rd or 4th new game test since the whole clean-reinstall-no-mods and all the other things we talked about in the beginning.
I'd like to mention that issues can potentially become stuck to a certain save file. Whenever you create a new save (auto-save ; manual save; doesn't matter) based on that faulty file, all of its bugs will carry-over to the new file. Which means that some bugs can only be solved by starting a fresh play-through, after having patched the game.

Interesting. Not very intuitive especially for non-native English speaker. What goes under the "gameplay" issues? The "interface" is the UI I guess.
Honestly I don't know.
I honestly thought "performance issues" are much more severe issues like game crashes, corrupted files, oddly low fps, stutter and of the sort.
If I'm not mistaken, performance issues are not just limited to the frame rate. They can also affect the quality of certain effects.

Top Bottom