[FIXED] Constant crashes in DirectX 12

+
With a RTX 4090 the new version works "great" with everything at max settings with DLSS 3.0 enabled minus the stuttering sometimes.

But the game is constantly crashing, mainly during cutscenes but not always.

I only have mods compatible with the next gen version and the game runs without crashing on Dx11 anyway. Also, it's a new game started with the mods already there and it was crashing during the introduction sequence.

I have seen a lot of crash reports but mainly due to mods, does anyone have a solution to this issue ? Playing in Dx11 is still a great improvement over the previous version but with the raytracing it's really better...

Some people are also saying that selecting the profile "RT ultra" instead of pushing everything to the max manually have fix their crashes, in my case it's not changing anything...

Here some more informations:
- I have a 5120x1440 screen, don't know if it's related to the crashes
- I'm still on Windows 10 and I already did a clean installation of the drivers and the game (even for the settings)
- I have 64GB of RAM so it's probably not a memory leak
- I tried to clear my direct x cache folder too in case it was a bad cache
- I didn't tried without DLSS 3.0 to see if the crashes are coming from it but without it the FPS aren't good enough to play anyway and it takes sometimes 10+ minutes before a crash.

Hope that someone can help me fix these crashes somehow... Or that CDPR will acknowledge them. (I already did send a support ticket but without any answers)

From what I've seen on these forums, mods and RTX will probably crash the game if you're playing on DX12. Try removing all mods and turning off RTX and see if that helps. Also the new "dlss 3 frame generation" has also been reported to cause crashes.

From what I've seen on these forums, mods and RTX will probably crash the game if you're playing on DX12. Try removing all mods and turning off RTX and see if that helps. Also the new "dlss 3 frame generation" has also been reported to cause crashes.

Right, so what you are saying is that I'm better playing in DirectX 11 until CDPR provides a fix or someone comes up with a solution. (As playing without RT and DLSS 3 is the only motive to play with DirectX 12 currently)

Thanks but that's what I'm already doing in the meantime.

Appreciated the answer though.
Post automatically merged:

Looks like some people where having crashes when using DLSS 3 with the GOG overlay enabled, I will try to disable it tomorrow and see if it fixes my crashes.

Last edited:
Right, so what you are saying is that I'm better playing in DirectX 11 until CDPR provides a fix or someone comes up with a solution.
Just a guess, but when he talk about "mods", it's not the mods added by CDPR (which are included in the game and no longer really "mods"^^).
Maybe some mods could work fine on DX11 but cause crashes on DX12 (if it's the case, nothing that CDPR can do about that).

Just a guess, but when he talk about "mods", it's not the mods added by CDPR (which are included in the game).
Maybe some mods could work fine on DX11 but cause crashes on DX12 (if it's the case, nothing that CDPR can do about that).

As they are only gameplay things I doubt it but it can be the case.

I will first try to disable the GOG overlay and if I still get crashes I will try a new game without any mods to see if the issue persist.

As they are only gameplay things I doubt it but it can be the case.
I will first try to disable the GOG overlay and if I still get crashes I will try a new game without any mods to see if the issue persist.
Yep, at least, if the game still crashing, no doubt that mods are not the culprits :)

Disabled the GOG overlay, no crashes yet. I will play it more tomorrow to check it is indeed fixed.

It's most likely DLSS 3 ..... I'm currently running 29 mods and have yet to have a crash playing on DX12 but no Ray Tracing because the game just can't handle it. Even without Ray Tracing the game isn't very well optimized in some areas. One of the mods I got cranks up the basic graphics even more to Ultra++ or Ultra+++. So I have RT off and everything cranked to Ultra++ or Ultra+++ but I had to turn on DLSS 2 Quality to stay locked at 60 FPS. ( Ryzen 5800X, 32GB 3600 dual rank DDR4, RTX 3070 Ti @ 1440p )

It won't gain you any performance but it will enhance the graphics if you back up the nvngx_dlss.dll file found in the /bin/x64_dx12/ folder (I just rename it and tack on .bak to the end) and then download the latest nvngx_dlss.dll file from here and drop it in that folder. The DLSS 2 dll in the game is about 8 versions old and from March while the latest came out just last Monday. A little trick for all your games that have DLSS 2.x is you can always replace the existing nvngx_dlss.dll with the latest one and get a DLSS upgrade for all your games that use DLSS 2.x (Doesn't work for old DLSS 1 games though

You can also delete or tack .bak to the d3d11on12.dll ..... Why that is even in the game really doesn't make any sense because it's already in your System32 folder and the game can call it from there if needed which will fix any problems you have with overlays. Basically that's what MSI Afterburner/ Riva Tuner does anyway so you can display the DX11 overlay that Afterburner uses in a game that is DX12. Basically all that is used for in the game is some of the menus that were programmed using DX11 but it DOES NOT get used for the main graphics in the game and has zero affect on performance one way or the other. The negative effect it does have is when Afterburner or other overlays try to call it from the system32 folder it blocks it because it is already running from the game directory. So you can just delete the one in the game directory and your overlays will work again and the in-game menus that need it will just call it from the system32 folder.

Last edited:
I played a lot without any crashes, it's confirmed that this was the GOG overlay causing the crashes in my case. Disabling it was enough to fix them.

For me it was DLSS Frame Generation enabled with Reshade installed. Delete Reshade and the crashes stopped.

Just wanted to report that it was GOG overlay that caused crasches every 4-5 min for me. Played 30 min now with framegen on, no crasches.

LOL. Was only kidding apprently. Didnät crash much at all in white orchard after the "fix" but now in velen I can't play more than 4-5 min again with out crashing, this is with FG off :/
Post automatically merged:

LOL #2. Apperently one of my memory sticks were broken, ran memtest and got tons of errors.

SORRY CDPR FOR BLAMING YOU!! my fault this time :|

Last edited:
Top Bottom