New videos on Gameinformer.com

+
Blothulfur said:
With the execution of Maravel and Kimbolt being bound to Natalis' side at Loc Muinne on my playthrough I expect to have crushed the two major opposition parties, and secured Natalis' power base. I'm not saying that the other nobles will not be playing the games of thrones as always, but Maravels severed head on a pike behind Natalis seat will stand as a clear sign for the price of dealing with Nilfgaard. That and the hatred of the people for the Black Ones will secure the regents position in the masses eyes, give the nobles no chance at being disloyal so they can act the nobler when nobility is needed.

Natalis promised to expunge the evidence against Kimbolt once they left Loc Muinne, so for all we know Kimbolt is back with vengeance. But I think Natalis is a fan favorite, so it's more likely for us to see him in the next game.

Posted?

cmdrflashheart said:
Natalis promised to expunge the evidence against Kimbolt once they left Loc Muinne, so for all we know Kimbolt is back with vengeance. But I think Natalis is a fan favorite, so it's more likely for us to see him in the next game.

I think it would be a bit naive to think that Natalis would get rid of his blackmail material, Kimbolt's too much of a threat, he'll give the man enough rope to hang himself then remind him that treachery's a hanging offence. In my opinion anyway.

@ Aver

I disagree. I do not think Natalis' handling of Kimbolt, while good, shows that he could be a good leader overall. In fact if he carries out his promise to eliminate the evidence against Kimbolt, then well he's an idiot.

Radovid stands a much better chance at forcing the nobles in line, than Natalis, who himself admits that he doesn't know if he can last for a week *in front of Radovid and Henselt* (what an idiot).

Natalis is a poor leader and nothing was shown to prove otherwise, and even he knows it. Furthermore, Radovid with Anais does not mean that Natalis is out of the picture. He'd be a general where he belongs and excels.

Blothulfur said:
I think it would be a bit naive to think that Natalis would get rid of his blackmail material, Kimbolt's too much of a threat, he'll give the man enough rope to hang himself then remind him that treachery's a hanging offence. In my opinion anyway.

That's certainly plausible, just as any countermeasure Kimbolt could dream up to prevent that. Both men can be expected to display shrewdness.

Oh indeed but there's not much Kimbolt can say when the angelic little queen of Temeria points the finger at him, and sobbing says, "you killed Boussy" while Natalis produces the evidence. Besides which I think he'll gladly fight Nilfgaard with all his heart because even a Temeria under Foltest's bastard is better than one under the Black Sun, after all he'll never get the chance to usurp power in a Nilfgaardian province.

I disagree. I do not think Natalis' handling of Kimbolt, while good, shows that he could be a good leader overall. In fact if he carries out his promise to eliminate the evidence against Kimbolt, then well he's an idiot.

I'm sure he won't destroy it. It's like expecting that kidnapped person "won't tell anyone" if you release him/her as they always say in the movies. ;)/>/>

Radovid stands a much better chance at forcing the nobles in line, than Natalis, who himself admits that he doesn't know if he can last for a week *in front of Radovid and Henselt* (what an idiot).

No. He just simply know limits of armies and he know that if help won't come fast then Temeria will fall and I doubt that help would come fast if they won't hurry up.

He know when to be tough and when not to be. I will quote him from Battle of Brenna - courier from Redanian general came to him in middle of battle. Natalis asked him:
"What do you want?"
Courier answered - "Sir! De Ruyter ask for help. We cannot hold!"
Natalis looked at him with cold eyes and answered "No! You will hold."

We must not forget the sway Nilfgaard can have on nobles. Even during Redania's civil war, many nobles start licking Nilfgaardian boots for assistance.

Yes Anais will be important. But so will political shrewdness and boots on necks, if one hopes to keep the nobles in line. So far none have demonstrated either quality as much as Radovid.

Aver said:
No. He just simply know limits of armies and he know that if help won't come fast then Temeria will fall and I doubt that help would come fast if they won't hurry up.

He had no idea Nilfgaard was invading at the time (he had suspicions). What he said specifically is that a baron might cancel his signature. Aka, he can't keep the nobles in line by his own admittance.

"What do you want?"
Courier answered - "Sir! De Ruyter ask for help. We cannot hold!"
Natalis looked at him with cold eyes and answered "No. You will hold."

That makes him a good general.
That does not make him a good politician.

Natalis would not have been able to do much, if it weren't for Foltest's leadership.

In a way I agree with Knight, there does need to be a shrewd political mind behind Natalis, I equate it to Wellington a great general and leader but in his parliamentary days not so efficient. Perhaps young Aryan might be that man, he shows promise in a few ways.

A capable general is not necessarily a capable politician in fact in many cases quite the opposite and Natalis admits to this.

Blothulfur said:
Oh indeed but there's not much Kimbolt can say when the angelic little queen of Temeria points the finger at him, and sobbing says, "you killed Boussy" while Natalis produces the evidence. Besides which I think he'll gladly fight Nilfgaard with all his heart because even a Temeria under Foltest's bastard is better than one under the Black Sun, after all he'll never get the chance to usurp power in a Nilfgaardian province.

Again, you're valuing Anais more than necessary and assuming that evidence would not be done away with. Why would anyone care about the word of a bastard, and why would they upset the status quo to set a precedent where bastards can vie for the throne. But like I said, since Natalis is the fan favorite it's more likely we will see him as a prominent figure in the next game.

KnightofPhoenix said:
That makes him a good general.
That does not make him a good politician.

Natalis would not have been able to do much, if it weren't for Foltest's leadership.

As I said most of Temerian army are common folks and they love Natalis. It's like lving legend. He was already hero before he has beaten Nilfgaardian army in Battle of Brenna. Nobles won't have time to do a shit against him when Nilfgaardian will be plundering their manors. I'm 100% sure that Natalis will be able to Gather way more troops than Radovid would be able to and it is what matter during war time.

There was the same situation in Redania during second war. There was in Redania a spy named Dijsktra - very wise and smart man which was hated by nobles. But Nobles knew that they won't win war without him. So they let him deal with everything until end of war. Then they sent assassins to kill him, but not until victory was secured. I bet that same thing would do Temerian nobles. You have to know priorities and you can't become a king of the country that is conquered.

Dijsktra in Redania had Phillipa Eilheart and the Quen of Redania at his side backing him up. He wasn't a sole ruler attempting to bring a country together.

Furthermore he was the head of intelligence, not a general.

The Common Men first follow their local lords then a hero, just because of his legend status does not mean the men under the command of nobles will flock to join him, far from it.

Aver said:
As I said most of Temerian army are common folks and they love Natalis. It's like lving legend. He was already hero before he has beaten Nilfgaardian army in Battle of Brenna.

And time and time again history showed that is not enough. He can gather as many troops as he can, but if he can't keep the nobility in line (and they have their own troops, and yes common folk were actually loyal to their lords much more than kings), and if he can't coordinate their efforts (some lands will have to be sacrificed. What will some nobles think when he decides to sacrifice theirs?), then there's little chance he'd win.
Plus Nilfgaard can always buy nobles, and turn them against each other, it has shown itself capable of doing so many times.

As for the Redanian example, Costin answered it. He had Philippa Eilhart behind him.

And you keep assuming that Radovid with Anais means Natalis disappears. He can still be there, under the leadership of someone much more capable than him.

CostinMoroianu said:
Dijsktra in Redania had Phillipa Eilheart and the Quen of Temeria at his side backing him up. He wasn't a sole ruler attempting to bring a country together.

Furthermore he was the head of intelligence, not a general.

It doesn't change a thing. If they tried to assassinate him a few moments after victory was announced then they could do it anytime they wanted.

And you keep assuming that Radovid with Anais means Natalis disappears. He can still be there, under the leadership of someone much more capable than him.

Nope. Radovid is telling him that he is no longer needed and he is relived from duty.

It does change a lot.

Also importantly with Natalis is that he doesn't want political leadership, Triss says this, HE says this.

cmdrflashheart said:
Again, you're valuing Anais more than necessary and assuming that evidence would not be done away with. Why would anyone care about the word of a bastard, and why would they upset the status quo to set a precedent where bastards can vie for the throne. But like I said, since Natalis is the fan favorite it's more likely we will see him as a prominent figure in the next game.

Yes she's a bastard, but the bastard of a very popular king who was responsible for defeating the last Nilfgaardian invasion, she can be used as a figurehead of enormous significance. The importance of such a figurehead to the average fighting man cannot be underestimated, and bastards have taken thrones ever since the nobility were formed, William the Bastard managed to secure himself one of the richest prizes in christendom by simply having the balls and gall to do so. Let's also not forget she comes of the highest blood on both sides of her family, and thus has two claims upon the throne.

Top Bottom