CD Projekt RED and GOG.com Special Event: 18 October 2012 at 18:00 GMT

+
Dona said:
Ah, thank you! I'm GMT+1 but I think daylight savings messed that one up.

OMG I'll die if it's something by Platige *_* It may be too early right now, but I hope they get to work on it at some point :D

Daylight savings turns CET into CEST, making it GMT+2 instead of +1. I get confused with that regularly, too. :confused:

wisielec said:
Thats my gripe with DEHR. Its nice and all, but the locations are too empty, design too predictable, chara/fashion hardly fresh if you know Shirow and other manga (old and new) artists. Geometrical - triangles and diamonds - textures/structures were cool though. But the colour palette was too monotneus to my tastes, locations were too similar. Cyberpunk is the Melting Pot, merging, morphing, the change is constant if I may say so.
What I miss is the Hi-Lo tech accents, the overwhelming info stream and everpresent pulse of the city. A metropoly that never sleeps.

Hm. You brought up some very good and interesting points. Some of the locations being empty, could that be due to lazy level design? Don't know if we can attribute that to the aesthetics of the game. And although it's not on par with the original Deus Ex when it comes to creative levels, I still think they did an admirable job. The maps were varied enough when it comes to sets. Chicago had a lot of back alleys and streets with hookers and shit while Hengsha had street vendors, customers, a brothel, a night club. I don't know, I thought the level design was pretty good, especially judged on its own merits.

Color palate, yeah, I guess a little more variety would be nice. Chicago could have used black and amber/dark orange/muddled gold, in China they could have changed it to black and red, in Montreal they could've used black, blue and white. Just to give each location a reinforced feeling that they're different and not just located behind some alley way in Chicago. Could this be nitpicking though? Is the lack of color variety really an aspect that diminishes the overall quality of the game?

It's hard for me to know where the line is when it comes to being overly critical just for the sake of it and where the high standard for sci-fis are. Blah. Still, good points and yeah improvements could have been made.

wisielec said:
Making anything "in similar style" to DX:HR would be spitting in the face of everything the artists did to achieve their look. Others should pick up on their philosophy to create original visual identity, not do anything else. DX:HR look works for DX:HR because it was carefully designed for it, there is meaning behind the style. Using that style on anything else would be nothing short of amateurish.

That said, Cyberpunk concept art seemed to be going in a more 80s-inspired direction (just look at that tacky blue leopard print jacket...)
Good point. Copy, pasting anything, regardless of what they're copying, is indeed rather uncreative, boring and fucking lazy. I do wonder if the artistic style of DX:HR is a completely original piece or if it's heavily "borrowing" elements from other sci-fi sources, like most notably, the fantastic movie Blade Runner. And now, where is the line between "original style" and "merely following the conventions of sci-fi". When you look at Blade Runner it immediately tells a story, just the visuals tell you everything you need to know about what setting and time period you're in.

It's almost as if Blade Runner set a standard for how a sci-fi is supposed to look. Even Mass Effect has major elements which is so Blade Runnerish but it doesn't bother me because, hey, it looks fucking amazing. So yeah, where's the line. If Cyberpunk deviates too much, it might create it's own style but will it be sci-fi? Man, I'm making it sound like Blade Runner set the standard for all sci-fis are supposed to look! That's not my intention. Blah again!

All I'm saying is that Blade Runner set a precedent, and now a lot of sci-fi worlds borrow elements from that movie. I wonder if Blade Runner set a precedent within how sci-fis are supposed to look (specifically those set in a megapolis filled with crime etc) or if it's merely an artistic direction to emphasize the feel and themes of the movie. Damn, this is difficult shit to make sense out of. It's even harder to clearly and eloquently explain what I'm trying to say :p

Again, whatever direction Cyberpunk chooses I'm sure it's going to be fucking amazing. Though, just as a last example: The style of the Witcher isn't all that original either. It's very Tolkienish in it's lore and feeling, and Red has successfully managed to design the monsters and history etc in a way which really makes it stand out from its competitors. But again, you can see the similarities right? Did Peter Jackson set a precedent for how all fantasy is supposed to look through the style he chose to tell his stories? I'm no expert on this, but I am damn fascinated by "genre versus style" idea and curious to know what other people think.

And fuck, this was a long post!

AFAIK DX:HR's style was mostly influenced by Blade Runner and Ghost in the Shell, as well as some other cyberpunk anime/manga. Then they threw in some renaissance visuals and there you go (triangles are a part of the renaissance style, actually). Here is an interview that does a good job at explaining their philosophy.

Some areas did feel a bit sterile, but I think it's also because of the sort of large and 'squary' architecture. They still did the whole visual storytelling thing, especially in the character's offices and apartments, to the point it made me feel they relied on it too much. I definitely had more fun trying to build those characters from the 'clues' than I had fun reading in-game information. Hell, I love Eliza because of my version of her, she doesn't do much in-game.

News with the link to the stream will be here shortly:)

Oh, Marcin, are you going to tease us a little more with some art or screen of teaser trailer :D? Just like in good ol' times (http://news.softpedia.com/news/CD-Projekt-Red-Teases-New-Futuristic-Game-with-First-Image-272527.shtml). Please?

No teaser, maybe some screenshots or concept art. It's too early, even for teasers.

CDPR, please prove me wrong about the above statement :)

No teaser, maybe some screenshots. It's too early, even for teasers.

CDPR, please prove me wrong about the above statement :)

I can prove you are wrong :D.

http://www.cdprojektred.com/resources/document/prezentacje/Presentation_-_HY2012_-_CD_Projekt_RED.pdf page 17

and A. Kiciński interview http://www.tvn24.pl/wideo/z-anteny/centrum-wynikow-cd-projekt-red,457579.html 10:35

Tommy said:
Just a few hours more and the details become known ! I can`t be there to watch it but i`m sure that some of the fine members here will touch upon the basics until i can get to the recorded feed .

I'll try to come up with a detailed briefing... my birthday present to you, man. :p

mycota said:
I can prove you are wrong :D.

http://www.cdprojektred.com/resources/document/prezentacje/Presentation_-_HY2012_-_CD_Projekt_RED.pdf page 17

and A. Kiciński interview http://www.tvn24.pl/wideo/z-anteny/centrum-wynikow-cd-projekt-red,457579.html 10:35

Can anyone give a translation in english of that?

Dunno polish Costin, but on page 17 it says "Ogłoszenie tytułu i teaser zapowiadający grę Cyberpunk" which Google-translating is "Title and teaser ad announcing Cyberpunk game." XD

CostinMoroianu said:
Can anyone give a translation in english of that?

Page 17, most important parts:

- Autumn release of Witcher 2 on Apple computers with OSX

- Cyberpunk game title announcement and a TEASER

WOOOOT!?!?!?!?

:D

Sweet!

Annnd TW2 is slightly cheaper on Steam and TW1 is 50% off, both for the next 48 hours :]

TW2 got the Mac/Steamplay flag, too... but what about the Mysterious achievement?

gregski said:
Page 17, most important parts:

- Autumn release of Witcher 2 on Apple computers with OSX

- Cyberpunk game title announcement and a TEASER

WOOOOT!?!?!?!?

:D

What about all those numbers that were being thrown around, what they did mean?

CostinMoroianu said:
What about all those numbers that were being thrown around, what they did mean?

It's financial data.

Here's the most interesting part - comparison between Witcher 1, Witcher 2 PC and Witcher 2 revenues.

Witcher 1 made 34 million to date.

Witcher 2 on PC made 35 million in the first quarter, and 48 million in the first year - you can see the disparity between first quarter sales and the rest of the year.

Witcher 2 on Xbox made 28 million in the first quarter, but 13 million is a reserve made by the game's publishers/distributors, so it's not yet counted as a revenue.

Top Bottom