4M Witcher games sold worldwide on PC, Xbox 360 and Mac

+
Congratulations! I hope with your growing interest in other platforms you'll make your engines more portable and we'll see the Witcher 3, Cyberpunk and whatever else you plan, released on Linux as well :D

Gilrond said:
Congratulations! I hope with your growing interest in other platforms you'll make your engines more portable and we'll see the Witcher 3, Cyberpunk and whatever else you plan, released on Linux as well :D
Man. You scared me there for a second. I thought you were hoping that they make their engine flexible enough, so that they don't have to make several versions of future games, but just one that will work on all PCs, consoles, portables, mobiles, tablets, PDAs, smart TVs, cameras, fridges, calculators, watches and thermometers. 'Cause that's the trend these days, isn't it?

Making different builds is expected, that's not the point. The point is, that if engine supports both OpenGL and DirectX and mostly relies on portable technologies (OpenAL and what not) avoiding lock-ins into some weird Microsoft APIs, they can relatively easily create builds targeted for Windows, Linux, Mac OSX or whatever. There still can be some OS specific layer, it'll be just much thinner, reducing platform adaptation efforts. As far as I understand, CDPR now are working on OpenGL support for the Witcher 2 at least, so let's hope this effort will carry onto their future engines and titles as well.

PDA and calculators are too underpowered for high end games as of now. May be in some future they'll get better, but not yet ;)

Gilrond said:
As far as I understand, CDPR now are working on OpenGL support for the Witcher 2 at least, so let's hope this effort will carry onto their future engines and titles as well.

I'm sorry, I do not recall seeing an announcement that they were doing an OpenGL port of their engine. It would be surprising for a developer closely tied to a Microsoft development environment and no products with announced native (not Wine) OpenGL support to do this. Where was this reported?

Gilrond said:
Making different builds is expected, that's not the point. The point is, that if engine supports both OpenGL and DirectX and mostly relies on portable technologies (OpenAL and what not) avoiding lock-ins into some weird Microsoft APIs, they can relatively easily create builds targeted for Windows, Linux, Mac OSX or whatever. There still can be some OS specific layer, it'll be just much thinner, reducing platform adaptation efforts. As far as I understand, CDPR now are working on OpenGL support for the Witcher 2 at least, so let's hope this effort will carry onto their future engines and titles as well.

PDA and calculators are too underpowered for high end games as of now. May be in some future they'll get better, but not yet ;)
1. Any sources for the OpenGL rework?
2. So, calculators are undepowered, but thermomers and fridges will do just fine?

norolim1 said:
Any sources for the OpenGL rework?

norolim1 said:
I'm sorry, I do not recall seeing an announcement that they were doing an OpenGL port of their engine... Where was this reported?
It's not a direct source, rather a deduction from their statement that they are working on the native Mac OSX version of the Witcher 2. That requires working with OpenGL. Unless I misunderstood what they really mean. Do you think they meant a Wine based adaptation, and not a native version?

norolim1 said:
It would be surprising for a developer closely tied to a Microsoft development environment and no products with announced native (not Wine) OpenGL support to do this.
Never too late to untie one's development from non portable environments (as much as possible). Cross platform development is more complex. But it is beneficial.

norolim1 said:
So, calculators are undepowered, but thermomers and fridges will do just fine?
The point of course is not only in the processing power, but rather in usability of such kind of scenario. Are you going to use fridge door as an input device?-)

Gilrond said:
It's not a direct source, rather a deduction from their statement that they are working on the native Mac OSX version of the Witcher 2. That requires working with OpenGL. Unless I misunderstood what they really mean. Do you think they meant a Wine based adaptation, and not a native version?

I would be pleasantly surprised to learn that it was a fully native rework. But that is a LOT of rework, not just the graphics system. There would have to be a strong commercial advantage over a Wine port, not just a few percent additional sales.

Commercial advantage is simple - mature portable engine which can be applied in the future. That's of course an old question of investment of time and effort vs. eventual pay off. If CDPR have enough resources - it'll pay off. If not - it's more risky, since it's not that easy, when that stuff was not considered from the beginning. It's always better to plan ahead, when building from the ground up, rather than redo a locked in version. So it's the question of investing in the infrastructure (long term, for future use), rather than polishing one version only (short term, one time deal).

I can't say for sure from where it is known. What exactly did CDPR say? So far I found few references here. For example:

LicaonKter said:
nope, Witcher2 on MAC will be native, so it's ported to OpenGL... now to pressure them for a Linux version guys & gals :D

MM360 said:
<p>We are pleased to announce that The Witcher franchise has sold over 4 million copies of both games. The first installment of the series is available for PC and Mac. “The Witcher 2” can be experienced by PC and Xbox 360 users and will hit Mac computers in the future.</p>
<p>“I’m still amazed with the result we have achieved with The Witcher franchise,” said Adam Badowski, head of CD Projekt RED studio. “Many gamers on many platforms have been drawn to the vivid and complex world we have created. In the gaming world summer means a lot of great, hot deals. So if you still don’t own the game look out for both retail and digital special offers.

Top Bottom