Hogwarts Legacy

+
I never felt powerful with the wand, I felt kinda lame.
Hum... I agree at the beginning, but after learning good spells and after upgrading your gear, you become almost a god.
I'll quote @Spockprime who said it well :)
My biggest complaint is also one of the most enjoyable parts of the game:
Although the combat is really fun, your character is a mass killer on such a scope that even Voldemort from the books seems rather unthreatening. In addition, even though I love this from a game play perspective, your character as a 5th year student is the most powerful wizard in the world, and there doesn't even seem to be anyone else close. He/she would absolutely stomp Voldemort, and probably Voldemort and Dumbledore at the same time.

My biggest complaint is also one of the most enjoyable parts of the game:
Although the combat is really fun, your character is a mass killer on such a scope that even Voldemort from the books seems rather unthreatening. In addition, even though I love this from a game play perspective, your character as a 5th year student is the most powerful wizard in the world, and there doesn't even seem to be anyone else close. He/she would absolutely stomp Voldemort, and probably Voldemort and Dumbledore at the same time.
Haven't played yet, but this is a rather heartwarming thing to hear, I always hated both Voldy and Dumby. My female Slytherin Dark Arts practitioner is gonna have so much fun. Finally an HP game in which you get to use Unforgivable Curses :ok:

I haven't unlocked many spells yet (6 plus the starting ones), but I am already enjoying combat and the combos I can do.

Basic cast can feel too much like a machine gun (especially for a fifth-year) -- but it's not like the game forces one to spam attacks. I also think it's better to have the option for "machine guns" than be forced to cast more slowly; many would complain if spamming wasn't possible.

Playing on Normal, I feel the challenge is just right, at least for now.

Haven't played yet, but this is a rather heartwarming thing to hear, I always hated both Voldy and Dumby. My female Slytherin Dark Arts practitioner is gonna have so much fun. Finally an HP game in which you get to use Unforgivable Curses :ok:
To be fair to Dumbledore, in the books he is really powerful. We don't know exactly how powerful, other than he simply walked toward Voldemort talking to him, and effortlessly shrugging off everything Voldemort was able to cast at him (unlike in the movies, where he looks equally matched). We also know that he defeated a very powerful wizard who had a wand that supposedly made them invincible. But regardless, it's difficult to imagine Dumbledore standing any chance against your 5th year student. And if you like the idea of casting unforgivable curses, you'll enjoy the game. The killing curse really is that. It breaks through any enemy's shield, and does 2 million damage, which is several orders of magnitude more than any enemy's health.

And if you like the idea of casting unforgivable curses, you'll enjoy the game. The killing curse really is that. It breaks through any enemy's shield, and does 2 million damage, which is several orders of magnitude more than any enemy's health.
I was curious enough to learn them (for the sake of science?), but I refuse to use them myself :howdy:

I was curious enough to learn them (for the sake of science?), but I refuse to use them myself :howdy:
Me too. Mostly. Although I can't entirely wrap my head around the notion that instantly killing someone is somehow less ethical than burning them to death, or slicing them, or turning them into an exploding barrel.

Wanting things to be symmetric can make things challenging... such as with interior decorating.

20230315140056_1.jpg

Yes, I'm in Slytherin, and yes, I like yellow and green.

The game seems to have an absolutely insane amount of content and ways to spend time to offer. Which is great! And I have not even unlocked all features yet, or even all spells.

I got into Hogwarts Legacy because it looked like a bit of fun game to play when I saw it talked about on 'Open World Game' channel on youtube. I never saw the movies nor read the books before playing the game. I did watch the 1st movie after getting the game, and really it was 'meh' and have not watch the rest of the movies. That said I am really enjoying the game.
Not to bad capturing the essence of 1890 Victorian UK, though they did drop the ball in some cases by placing more modern 'things' into the world. I do find it does not have the content that Cyberpunk does. I do find the main story in Hogwarts very engaging.
I am confused about the so called 'unforgivable' spells vs the common used spells. For example one spell can cause pain, that is bad, but it is okay to light one on fire?!?! Do you know just how painful being on fire is?
Anyways my thoughts on the game. =)

Attachments

• 20230228052309_1.jpg
    20230228052309_1.jpg
    685.2 KB · Views: 38
I am confused about the so called 'unforgivable' spells vs the common used spells. For example one spell can cause pain, that is bad, but it is okay to light one on fire?!?! Do you know just how painful being on fire is?
Not an expert, but it's just in the lore :)
The Unforgivable Curses were three of the most powerful and sinister spells known to the wizarding world, as well as the strongest known Dark spells in existence. They were tools of the Dark Arts and were first classified as "Unforgivable" in 1717, with the strictest penalties attached to their use. The three curses consisted of the Killing Curse (Avada Kedavra), the Cruciatus Curse (Crucio), and the Imperius Curse (Imperio). Using any of these three curses on a fellow human being, Muggle or wizard, would result in a life sentence in Azkaban without parole, unless there was sufficient evidence that the caster did so under the influence of the Imperius Curse.
In the game, it doesn't really matter nor make any difference. Killing in one shot with the unforgivable spell, by transforming an enemy into an explosive barrel or using the "elder magic"... it's the same thing :D

I believe the difference is that Crucio is designed specifically to torture, Avada Kedavra specifically to kill, and Imperio specifically to take over the victim's mind. They cannot be used for anything else. Whereas something like Incendio can be used offensively, but that is not its main, let alone only, purpose or use.

(I have yet to unlock a single Unforgivable, and I don't see myself using them even after I do.

Confringo is great fun, though, and I wish it were possible to cast Stupefy as a separate spell.)

Beside I would be interested to know if anyone had the audacity to try to use unforgivable spells during "magic battles" with your school mates :giggle:
It would be (very) surprising if you're able to use these spell directly in Hogwarts and against other students...

Beside I would be interested to know if anyone had the audacity to try to use unforgivable spells during "magic battles" with your school mates :giggle:
It would be (very) surprising if you're able to use these spell directly in Hogwarts and against other students...
I haven't tried that but imperio is a bit of a god spell I took down a troll without it attacking me once, they just stand there and let you spam them with your other spells... Then you imperio them again

I haven't tried that but imperio is a bit of a god spell I took down a troll without it attacking me once, they just stand there and let you spam them with your other spells... Then you imperio them again
In the lore, as far as I understood, unforgivable spells are spells that you're not supposed to know (as Hogwarts studient) and even less cast them on human beings under penalty of a direct and free ticket to Azkaban in perpetuity.
So if the game respect a bit the lore, you shouldn't be able to cast unforgivable spells on other studients during the magic figths even if you know them and are able to cast them outside of Hogwarts.
(too late to test for me now, maybe in the next playthrough^^)

I looked it up, and the three curses were made Unforgivable in 1717, so there really is no excuse for the game to teach them and allow a fifth-year to use them. Other than "cool gameplay feature", of course.

(Yes, Imperio is taught in the books, but that teacher is eccentric to say the least.)

I still haven't come across any of them in the game, but I have a feeling I may be getting close to at least one of them.

I looked it up, and the three curses were made Unforgivable in 1717, so there really is no excuse for the game to teach them and allow a fifth-year to use them. Other than "cool gameplay feature", of course.

For what it's worth in the story the school does not teach these, a student who found journals and dark arts books teaches them in secret. So from a "lore" standpoint it's no big deal... on the other hand, there is little repercussions for using them which is a bit of a disconnect as they should be a 1-way ticket to Azkaban prison if caught.

I think it's just one of those things that you sacrifice a bit of lore consistency to benefit the fun factor which should always be priority 1 in games, at least in my opinion.

As for why they are unforgivable in lore, there are a few reasons the ministry outlawed them, won't get too into detail, but one big one is because they only work if you "REALLY MEAN THEM" so if you're intent is not purely to kill/torture, the spells are not effective, which means the intention behind them makes the act more malicious. IF you go deeper into the wizarding world lore I'm sure someone else could explain it better.

(Yes, Imperio is taught in the books, but that teacher is eccentric to say the least.)

I still haven't come across any of them in the game, but I have a feeling I may be getting close to at least one of them.
That's one cool gameplay feature against the lore I'll allow. I don't think I'd be too interested in this game if Unforgivable Curses were not present.

but one big one is because they only work if you "REALLY MEAN THEM" so if you're intent is not purely to kill/torture, the spells are not effective, which means the intention behind them makes the act more malicious.
I know. Bellatrix literally says so in the fifth book (and I believe movie), and it's mentioned elsewhere, too.

For what it's worth in the story the school does not teach these, a student who found journals and dark arts books teaches them in secret. So from a "lore" standpoint it's no big deal... on the other hand, there is little repercussions for using them which is a bit of a disconnect as they should be a 1-way ticket to Azkaban prison if caught.

I think it's just one of those things that you sacrifice a bit of lore consistency to benefit the fun factor which should always be priority 1 in games, at least in my opinion.

As for why they are unforgivable in lore, there are a few reasons the ministry outlawed them, won't get too into detail, but one big one is because they only work if you "REALLY MEAN THEM" so if you're intent is not purely to kill/torture, the spells are not effective, which means the intention behind them makes the act more malicious. IF you go deeper into the wizarding world lore I'm sure someone else could explain it better.

I know. Bellatrix literally says so in the fifth book (and I believe movie), and it's mentioned elsewhere, too.
Yeah, that's why when Harry used Crucio for the first time against her, a sort of Stupefy red-colored spell came out of his wand rather than the actual thing.

Getting too close to spoiler territory here, so all I'll say about learning the curses is that you can't miss the opportunity (opportunity, not mandatory) if you play through the main story.

As for using them, Crucio is just evil in my book. I can make an argument for Imperio, but I accept the arguments against it. I don't use the killing curse against humans or goblins, but I've been known to whack a troll with it on occasion. But even if it weren't labelled "unforgivable", I wouldn't use it against humans or goblins, because I prefer walking toward them calmly, giving them the opportunity to take their best shots at me, and letting it sink in that they've doomed themselves and there's absolutely nothing they can do about it.

I'm having a lot of fun using Levioso and then Descenco. It's one of the combos I saw used very early on in the game, and I looked forward to being able to do it myself. Confringo and Diffindo are among my favourites as well.

In fact, those four are in my spell set #1, as I use them the most when in combat (unless facing some less common foes that require special treatment).

As for using them, Crucio is just evil in my book. I can make an argument for Imperio, but I accept the arguments against it.
Agreed. There is zero justification for ever using Crucio, but Imperio can be deemed a necessary evil (like it is in the seventh book).

Avada Kedavra could be justified as an honest mercy kill, in my opinion. But not in combat, even if the enemies use it.

Top Bottom