I would gladly pay $60 each for two DLCs that split the campaign into 3 actual life paths

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been mentioned before that the current campaign feels like it was stitched together from pieces of 3 different life paths; that everything involving Panam and the Aldecaldos feels like part of the Nomad campaign, and basically everything else is what the Streetkid campaign would have been, with the Corpo campaign having not been worked on at all beyond the prologue. I've further speculated that the different endings may have originally been intended for the different life paths.

I'd love to see these disentangled from each other. I'd love to see a Nomad DLC and a Corpo DLC that basically restore whatever the original plan was... and I know that a lot of people would be willing to pay for those.

I would say that what I would be willing to pay for was three 20 dollar DLC's that fill in the time between the end of the initial life path intro, and the 'The Heist' quest. 5-10 hours of gameplay/lifepath specific quests to fill out your V origin story before the 'The Heist' and maybe a few extra later post Act 2 follow up quests that are lifepath specific. Nothing huge, nothing that changes the overall arc of the story, but things to give each lifepath playthrough some true uniqueness/flavor.

After Act 2 though, its perfectly fine to entangle everything together in my opinion, excepting as mentioned above, a few lifepath specific side quests/experiences.

Guest 3847602

A Lifepath is a system used in character generation within the Cyberpunk pen and paper series. It is a method for figuring out a character's background and personal history. The system works like a set of flowcharts, each numbered for randomly-generated results. This serves as a list of "plot complications" that helps round out a character so players are not left playing a nameless generic archetype.

https://cyberpunk.fandom.com/wiki/Lifepath

It's a backstory, not THE story. It functions as a backstory in tabletop RPG this game is based on. It was described as a backstory by game's developers.
There's never been more to it. Nothing has been stitched together.

I don't think that would work and CDPR has made it quite clear that we're only getting one expansion. Just hope it maybe adds or alters an ending so V doesn't have to break up with any of their love interests and maybe said ending is less bittersweet... I don't believe any of the endings are tied to any particular lifepath. They leave it up to you and what you believe your V would choose based on their experience. A nomad may not want to go back to the nomads, a corpo may not want to put their trust in the very company that fucked them to begin with and maybe just maybe the streetkid doesn't want to go do one last gig for a cure. And not everyone is willing to go live beyond the Black Wall and leave their body to Silverhand.

A Lifepath is a system used in character generation within the Cyberpunk pen and paper series. It is a method for figuring out a character's background and personal history. The system works like a set of flowcharts, each numbered for randomly-generated results. This serves as a list of "plot complications" that helps round out a character so players are not left playing a nameless generic archetype.

That's the tabletop version. CDPR promised three different whole campaigns corresponding to the life paths.

That's the tabletop version. CDPR promised three different whole campaigns corresponding to the life paths.
No they didn't promise that...
They said something like that > the game will offer lifepaths which could influence the story/game at some point.
Then the hype turn it to : "CDPR promised/announced three different stories for the three lifepaths!"

It's incredible how new promises still keep popping up after all this time....
Yeah, no wonder why they (almost) stopped announcing anything before releasing it :D
CDPR promised three different whole campaigns corresponding to the life paths.
Another example of the same "promises" :
CDPR > Most NPCs have Automated Routines from a pool which can divert into branching options. Its mostly randomized but remains believable.
Hype > NPCs will have thousand unique routines!

No they didn't promise that...
They said something like that > the game will offer lifepaths which could influence the story/game at some point.
Then the hype turn it to : "CDPR promised/announced three different stories for the three lifepaths!"

Sorry but they DID promise that. I think their exact words were something along the lines of having "three games in one".

I would never pay for a DLC that brings something that feels like should be in the game from day one. No matter if CDPR said so or not.
"We never said we will incorporate vehicles customisation, now pay us $15 for cars tuning DLC".-- I would not pay that.

"Story missions with Jackie like from the prologue montage DLC"-- I'd never pay for that. I would rather wait for fully fleshed out second Cyberpunk game. Not a sequel but rather a reboot. With completely different story, different characters, different music etc.

Another example of the same "promises" :
CDPR > Most NPCs have Automated Routines from a pool which can divert into branching options. Its mostly randomized but remains believable.
Hype > NPCs will have thousand unique routines!

To be fair to this one, it was actually an article with poor translation that ended up saying thousands of NPCs all with unique routines. It wasn't just people randomly making shit up in their heads.

The game was in development for 8 years and you post something from 4 months before its release? LOL

Dude, you're the one making a wild claim about the lifepaths with nothing to back up your wild claim. You got called out on it because we all know it's incorrect and you'll never come up with an actual quote that promises what you claim because it was never said. You may LOL all you want at what @LeKill3rFou provided but at least he provided something to back up his claim, which you still haven't. Which, frankly, if you can remember the "exact" words, it really shouldn't be that hard to provide a quote that shows your claim is right.

Regardless of that interaction, what about @ooodrin's link from earlier in the thread? This one from over a year and a half before release where the devs describe it as nothing more than backstory.

Additionally, the game wasn't in development for 8 years, you're wrong on that too. Development truly began after the release of The Witcher 3: Blood & Wine. Here is a quick quote from the wiki in case you decide to ignore the link:

Pondsmith started consulting on the project in 2012.[38][39] He also appears in it as a character.[40] The game drew its influences from the 1982 film Blade Runner, manga and anime series Ghost in the Shell, and video games System Shock (1994) and Deus Ex (2000).[41] Pondsmith's follow-up to Cyberpunk V3.0, Cyberpunk Red, also made an impact on the lore.[42] The game cost an estimated 1.2 billion Polish złoty (US$313 million) to develop, making it one of the most expensive games ever made.[43][44]

The game entered pre-production with approximately 50 staff members after CD Projekt Red finished The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – Blood and Wine (2016).[45][46] The team was expanded over time, surpassing the size of the team for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2015).

It's always a good idea to back up your claims with sources.

It's always a good idea to back up your claims with sources.

It's actually a requirement in good debate. If you start an argument and have a premise, you are required to have proof supporting your premise to even be considered. If you have no standing, as in this case, then people are perfectly reasonable to ignore you completely as you're just talking out your exhaust hole.

I think it would have been cool if the life paths added some more dialogue options and maybe a unique quest or two outside of just the opening of the game. But I thought they were fine.

I don't think any developer is going to ever do what some fans want... which is basically make three different games - one for each life path or something like that. It would just take too much time for the value that it adds since not very many fans replay games.

And you post something from... oh, nothing.

But yes, very LOL - always funny when people back up what they say with those things called "sources" or whatever it's called :shrug:

Dude, you're the one making a wild claim about the lifepaths with nothing to back up your wild claim. You got called out on it because we all know it's incorrect and you'll never come up with an actual quote that promises what you claim because it was never said.

Unfortunately, I was not obsessed with this game throughout its 8-year development cycle so I did not bother to bookmark every grandiose claim made by CDPR on the off-chance that one of them would come in handy in a debate a decade later. I'm quite sure that I could find a source if I tried; I'm less sure that it would be worth my time to do so.

You may LOL all you want at what @LeKill3rFou provided but at least he provided something to back up his claim, which you still haven't.

The source didn't back up his claim. It only proves that CDPR changed their minds at some point during development.

Unfortunately, I was not obsessed with this game throughout its 8-year development cycle so I did not bother to bookmark every grandiose claim made by CDPR on the off-chance that one of them would come in handy in a debate a decade later. I'm quite sure that I could find a source if I tried; I'm less sure that it would be worth my time to do so.

If only there were search engines that allowed you to quickly find almost anything you're looking for, especially official statements, video, marketing material, etc in mere seconds... using keywords. Someone should get on that billion dollar idea.

Oh wait...

I mean, dude, this would be laughably easy to locate with a quick Google search if it was true. There would be dozens of various, easy to cite, credible sources who would've reported on this. You can't find one, because it doesn't exist. You're deflecting now.

The source didn't back up his claim. It only proves that CDPR changed their minds at some point during development.

Or that you're completely wrong?

There is nothing shameful about admitting one is wrong. In fact, it's an important skill to have.

You sure do possess the not so important skill of completely disregarding evidence presented to you though. Still hanging on to that 8 years development cycle I see.

Sorry but unless you can present anything to the contrary, everything points to you being wrong on lifepaths ever being described as anything close to:

CDPR promised three different whole campaigns corresponding to the life paths.

Your only source for this so far has been "trust me bro"

It's actually a requirement in good debate.

100% agree!

This is clearly not a good debate though.

I don't think it's feasible to expect a company to shake up the already released and loved game for the sake of proving any detractors wrong, nor would I believe it feasible to be a paid expansion of the sort.

Now on the other hand I would personally like if the side mission branches would be slightly more exclusive or expansive for certain lifepath choices, like having more to do with Panam based on the fact that you're a nomad or not etc. As much as I like the Corpo lifepath I feel like there's very few times you get to feel like a Corpo for real, besides some very good lines of dialogue.

But on the other hand it perhaps would make the game more restrictive, as I have the opportunity to create a unique lifepath for each of my V's that feels very different than the one that came before, I also have the opportunity to min-max and do everything off the bat without restriction for the most part if that's more to my liking.

I don't know if such a suggestion is achievable considering the standard of storytelling CDPR managed to achieve with Cyberpunk so far, dynamic cutscenes and amazing animation and voice acting work that feels interconnected regardless of the circumstance (for the most part, of course).

I would definitely not pay the full price of a game for such an extension to begin with because I don't believe it would add that much more to the story that the game tries to portray, I feel like some fine tuning and perhaps more consequences to one's actions that are more evident would work wonders instead.

Cheers :D.

If only there were search engines that allowed you to quickly find almost anything you're looking for, especially official statements, video, marketing material, etc in mere seconds... using keywords. Someone should get on that billion dollar idea.

Oh wait...

I mean, dude, this would be laughably easy to locate with a quick Google search if it was true. There would be dozens of various, easy to cite, credible sources who would've reported on this.

[...] Type anything including the words "cyberpunk" and "life path" into a search engine, and 99.9% of your results will be stuff written after the game's launch, bitching about what a disappointment the life paths are. CDPR's original marketing claims are now needles in a haystack.

With that out of the way, there are still some shadows and footprints of those claims. For example, a player paraphrasing CDPR in this reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/kbsrn5/_/ggozy17
"We're gonna have three entirely separate playthroughs in the game, choosing your life path will have big consequences."

Here's another player referring to a "40 x 3 hours" claim that CDPR allegedly made:

I also found an article (like an actual news article from an actual gaming news website) stating that both Jackie Welles and "The Heist" were planned to be Street Kid-exclusive, with the other life paths having V meet up with other characters in Jackie's place and featuring different ways of the chip ending up in V's head. However, I'm having difficulty re-finding that one at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom