PS4 version of The Witcher 3 running in backwards compatability mode on the PS5

+

Guest 4685983

Hey all!

I wanted to make a thread discussing the PS4 version of The Witcher 3 running in backwards compatability mode on the PS5.

It's currently locked at 30fps, I'm not sure if this is intentional or is an oversight. Running v1.00 of The Witcher 3 in backwards compatability mode allows you to reach 60fps so it should theoretically be possible.

Running Cyberpunk 2077 in backwards compatability mode also runs at 60fps (devs please don't change this!).

The reason for wanting to play the PS4 version on the PS5 is due to a lack of storage space, my storage for PS5 games is already full but I have plenty of space on my external SSD to be able to store PS4 games.

I have no console that is newer than a PS3, but the backwards compatibility topic is interesting for me.
Aren't their different modes available on PS5 for older PS4 titles - such as Performance/Quality that often makes the difference 60/30 fps?

Guest 4685983

Not for older titles, the performance/quality toggle in the PS5 system menu only works with PS5 games. If you're talking about the PS4 pro boost mode, I don't think that was ever able to take a game from 30fps on PS4 to 60fps on PS4 pro.

For PS4 games that have an uncapped frame rate that originally played at say 30fps, they are normally boosted to 60fps when played on the PS5 via backwards compatability.

What's happened in this situation is the devs have put a hard cap on the fps for the PS4 version, so even if it's played on a PS5 via backwards compatability it only ever hits 30fps.

What's happened in this situation is the devs have put a hard cap on the fps for the PS4 version, so even if it's played on a PS5 via backwards compatability it only ever hits 30fps.
At the same time, PS5 have a dedicated version, so "in theory" on PS5 you're supposed playing the PS5 version.

Guest 4685983

Sure "in theory", but not every one has the storage space for many PS5 games hence my reasoning for uncapping the frames on the PS4 version.

You get less than 667.2GB (without buying an NVMe for extra storage), that's shared with media, saved data and system data. It's not very much!

I know... I constantly install/uninstall games on my Series X. But I have a decent net connection, so it's not really a big deal :)
Beside, I'm not sure that I can install games in external drive... And even less choosing what version to install. Only one game that I have, offer two separate versions for XB One and Xbox Series (Tales Of Arise)

Top Bottom