Face and other textures turns black after playing for some time. (No mods, clean install)

+
This seems to only happen after playing for extended periods of time. I've seen this sometimes effect other textures as well (for instance the interiors of the Ho-Oh Club in Kabuki), but most consistently happens with V's face and sometimes NPCs faces. However, exiting to menus and reloading the save usually fixes it. So its not a massive problem but wanted to learn more about what could be going on if possible. I've never experienced this issue when playing on 1.5 and previous patches.
No mods are installed and it should be a clean install of the game as I've reinstalled Windows and wiped all drives before re-installing the game. I tried to find this issue on the forums first but didn't see anything. Is this an issue others are experiencing? And if so, could this just be NVIDIA driver-related or a bug post-1.6?
Any input would be super appreciated.
NOTE: Running on an RTX 3070 and Driver Version 531.79 (released May 2, 2023). Ray Tracing is turned off, and DLSS is on Quality.
1684498007180.png

Quite strange :(
Just to know, on this backup, no mod has ever been active?
(mod datas can remains in save files, and could cause issues, even if you remove mods and/or "clean-install" the game).

Did you try to clean-install your drivers in case?
NVIDIA
I. Download the latest drivers using the following link: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
II. Download Display Driver Uninstaller and run it to remove previous versions of drivers.
III. Clean install drivers that you've downloaded in step 1.
If it doesn't work and if you didn't, I recommend to directly contact the support ("contact us" button).
Good idea to add a DxDiag in the report.

(mod datas can remains in save files, and could cause issues, even if you remove mods and/or "clean-install" the game).

If it doesn't work and if you didn't, I recommend to directly contact the support ("contact us" button).
When installing the game, I did notice there were some save files from playthroughs in which I used mods (which I assume got there from GOG Cloud saves). I figured as long as I didn't load those specific files I should be fine. Could I be wrong?

And correct, no mod on my current installation has ever been active.

Perhaps I should attempt a clean install again as well as a clean install of NVIDIA Drivers for good measure?

EDIT: I noticed the save files in the main menu after installing and launching the game. But these were save files I had previously deleted so that's why I assumed they were cloud saves.

Last edited:
When installing the game, I did notice there were some save files from playthroughs in which I used mods (which I assume got there from GOG Cloud saves). I figured as long as I didn't load those specific files I should be fine. Could I be wrong?
Yes, as long as you load a save that no mods have ever been active on, it's fine ;)
Perhaps I should attempt a clean install again as well as a clean install of NVIDIA Drivers for good measure?
First, I would say to give a shot with drivers (faster than a game clean-install).
Maybe also try the previous version of drivers in case.
And if nothing work, try a clean install of the game to be 100% sure.

Yes, as long as you load a save that no mods have ever been active on, it's fine ;)

First, I would say to give a shot with drivers (faster than a game clean-install).
Maybe also try the previous version of drivers in case.
And if nothing work, try a clean install of the game to be 100% sure.
Thank you for taking the time to help! It's very much appreciated. I will be able to get on in a couple hours and will report any findings. Its a hard issue to reproduce because of its randomness. (I'll be completely fine for a few hours and then it might happen, might not)
Which would make me think it's not related to a leftover mod file or something, because I would think the issue would be more constant/permanent if that were the case. Especially since I wiped partitions and reinstalled Windows since last playthrough (which also had no mods installed or active).

You might consider turning off your cloud saves and simply backing up the clean saves you want to keep. But yeah, I’d likewise recommend a clean uninstall of the game followed by a clean uninstall / reinstall of your graphics drivers, followed by reinstalling the game itself. If you need any advice for any step there, we should all happily offer to help. If that doesn’t do it, you really need to contact support.

Thank you for taking the time to help! It's very much appreciated. I will be able to get on in a couple hours and will report any findings. Its a hard issue to reproduce because of its randomness. (I'll be completely fine for a few hours and then it might happen, might not)
Which would make me think it's not related to a leftover mod file or something, because I would think the issue would be more constant/permanent if that were the case. Especially since I wiped partitions and reinstalled Windows since last playthrough (which also had no mods installed or active).
I help as much as I can (sometimes not much... but I try^^)
Yes, that's why I suggest to check drivers first :)
(and yes, turn off cloud sync if you clean install the game)

You might consider turning off your cloud saves and simply backing up the clean saves you want to keep. But yeah, I’d likewise recommend a clean uninstall of the game followed by a clean uninstall / reinstall of your graphics drivers, followed by reinstalling the game itself. If you need any advice for any step there, we should all happily offer to help. If that doesn’t do it, you really need to contact support.
Noted. After doing these, do you think it's necessary to start a new playthrough? Even though I don't believe my current one is affected by any mods?

I hope not. As a test it might not be a bad idea but mostly if you saw that same bad texture effect early on last time. No reason not to try out your last clean save (it’s not like it should infect the brand new install beyond *maybe* save games made off of one such) but don’t give up if those last few saves were still screwed. Try a new game afterwards if the old saves were bad and if the new save game still has issues, reach out to support. As my own opinion, I wouldn’t try out mods until the next full patch is released (I *really* hate and distrust 1.62) but YMMV.
Post automatically merged:

Noted. After doing these, do you think it's necessary to start a new playthrough? Even though I don't believe my current one is affected by any mods?

EDIT: Nvm, saw the part that mentioned backing up the clean saves. So I will try the clean saves, and if still no luck then I'll try a fresh start.

I hope not. As a test it might not be a bad idea but mostly if you saw that same bad texture effect early on last time. No reason not to try out your last clean save (it’s not like it should infect the brand new install beyond *maybe* save games made off of one such) but don’t give up if those last few saves were still screwed. Try a new game afterwards if the old saves were bad and if the new save game still has issues, reach out to support. As my own opinion, I wouldn’t try out mods until the next full patch is released (I *really* hate and distrust 1.62) but YMMV.
Thank you for your help! Fingers crossed.

So I'm currently booting into Safe Mode while trying to launch the DDU application but it says it can't access the file for some reason.

EDIT: Nvm, saw the part that mentioned backing up the clean saves. So I will try the clean saves, and if still no luck then I'll try a fresh start.

Thank you for your help! Fingers crossed.

So I'm currently booting into Safe Mode while trying to launch the DDU application but it says it can't access the file for some reason.
I figured it out. One Drive was the issue.

Last edited:
@Brandon772 Posting a link down below to an FAQ / Walkthrough of how to use and run Display Driver Uninstaller. If you’re having issues with that, I highly suggest signing up to to Wagnard Soft Forums (https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/) and detailing the exact steps you’re taking to run it, plus your hardware specs (CPU, GPU, RAM, and OS). Also, make sure you’re disconnecting your internet before entering Safe Mode. I think you’re supposed extract DDU prior to restarting in Safe Mode but I may be wrong. Double check with the experts.

Omg finally someone with the same issue. I thought I was going crazy or my hardware was the problem. I have the same issue and i have yet to find the root cause of this.

Here is the list of things I tried and went above and beyond just to play a game…..

1. DDU driver (safe mode) then installed new clean driver
2. uninstall the game and the re-downloading the game
3. deleted cache/saves files from %appdata%
4. Tried cloud sync on and off even tried without any saves files (completely fresh play through)
5. tried opening the game with or without redengine
6. Re-installed windows 10
7. Switched from windows 10 to 11
8. contacted cdpr (was getting told to do stuff I already tried)

Well I gave up…. Though like you mentioned you can play for awhile and have this happen to you. Its the same thing for me I could play for hours and suddenly the issue would appear and ruin the experience as lightning in the game starts to freak out, character head go black, sometimes even crash. I have no hope to fix this issue as I believe I tried everything and this post gave me some hope that I’m not the only one and its not on my end or hardware error

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    572.2 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    610.8 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    242.7 KB · Views: 106
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 116
Omg finally someone with the same issue. I thought I was going crazy or my hardware was the problem. I have the same issue and i have yet to find the root cause of this.

Here is the list of things I tried and went above and beyond just to play a game…..

4. Tried cloud sync on and off even tried without any saves files (completely fresh play through)

Well I gave up…. Though like you mentioned you can play for awhile and have this happen to you. Its the same thing for me I could play for hours and suddenly the issue would appear and ruin the experience as lightning in the game starts to freak out, character head go black, sometimes even crash. I have no hope to fix this issue as I believe I tried everything and this post gave me some hope that I’m not the only one and its not on my end or hardware error
That sounds really bad for you and the best so have is a little change in the order of things followed by a suggestion on cleanly uninstalling Cyberpunk 2077.
  1. Find, copy, and save to a New File Folder (preferably on a totally new partition (E+ Drive) all your save files. If all your save files used mods, scrap
  2. Do a clean uninstall of the game and potentially even of the game launcher (Steam, GOG Galaxy, whatever). Hope you don’t play a lot of other games! My personal fail safe for cleanly uninstalling any and all applications, programs, and games would be Revo Uninstaller Pro Portable, which is amazing and makes CDPR steps look like a child’s cute suggestion. Follow that up with a Full System File Search For “Cyberpunk” and “Projekt” (plus potentially for “GOG,” “Galaxy”, “Steam,” and “Valve” if you’re feeling like being doubly damn sure).
  3. Follow this up with cleanly uninstalling your graphics driver through DDU (NVidia definitely, maybe AMD via AMD Cleanup Utility (check with Wagnard for peoples opinions from their own experiences)
  4. Upon a clean restart, install first the Graphics Driver (which you should have downloaded with DDU before starting any of this) and configure all NVidia Control Panel Settings appropriately to your preference, my own recommendation being to prefer performance over visual beauty.
  5. Download and Install Cyberpunk 2077 (and possibly even the gaming service (Steam, GOG Galaxy) of choice). Launch it once and check some things out before exiting, don’t change anything yet.
  6. Personally I exit out and let GeForce Experience pick the settings it seems to think I’d prefer. I’d also copy’n’paste into the Save folder any of the clean saves I trust). I have 200+ saves and I never have more than 20 base (not including quick saves and auto saves) in the folder. The rest are backed up.
  7. Relaunch the game and configure absolutely everything the way you prefer before either starting a new game or launching one of those clean saves
  8. Honestly? If the above doesn’t work (with assistance from here, AMD/NVidia Forums, Wagnard Soft), and I mean with detailed step by step instructions from people? And Support can’t or doesn’t do anything? It *may* be an obscure setting in your Motherboard Bios or something but that’s the longest of long shots. If the above doesn’t work, you may just be SOL and I am really sorry of that’s the case.

9. Brandon772 suggests maybe exiting or disabling One Drive, so you might consider that.

That issue actually popped up for me too in 1.62. NEVER appeared in the patches before. Same computer, same setup. (besides of updating drivers and the normal window updates, temps are great and so on)

Usually happens after many hours of playing. It starts for me with NPC eyebrows becoming black missing textures (also had it happen once with the hair and shirt of an NPC becoming all weird in one of these newer gigs which popped up with Edgerunners.) It luckily just happened once with the face and neck of my V.
Closing the game to its main menu and reloading the save usually fixes it, which makes it a bit hard to believe its a hardware/driver issue considering that shouldnt just reset without fully closing the game. Cyberpunk is also the ONLY game it happens in and i am playing a lot of other graphical intense games.

I officially call 1.62 the useless buggy PT patch. lol

Last edited:
I have this issue as well, it came with the latest update. After some time, normally after an hour+, the background items randomly loose their color and turn oily black. The only way around it I found is save the game then log out of the game completely (to desktop). Restart the game and it will be fine when you load the save game. It is the game not your equipment, or software as I play a number of other games, and Cyberpunk 2077 is the only game that does this, also I never had this issue pre latest patch.

@Brandon772 Posting a link down below to an FAQ / Walkthrough of how to use and run Display Driver Uninstaller. If you’re having issues with that, I highly suggest signing up to to Wagnard Soft Forums (https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/) and detailing the exact steps you’re taking to run it, plus your hardware specs (CPU, GPU, RAM, and OS). Also, make sure you’re disconnecting your internet before entering Safe Mode. I think you’re supposed extract DDU prior to restarting in Safe Mode but I may be wrong. Double check with the experts.

Thanks Milaal. The other night I was able to use DDU to uninstall my drivers and re-installed them, also selecting the "clean install" option in the NVIDIA installation wizard. Also did a clean install of the game again as directed by a post from CDPR on how to do so. The issue happened again, but once again it was after a few hours of play, not instantly after loading a save. Looking at some of the other responses now though seems to suggest this is an issue with the current version of the game. It's certainly not a big deal, but of course hoping this will be solved in a later patch. Its possible this issue might not be talked about much since it seems to me only after extended play sessions. Maybe many people just log off before it even has the chance to happen.

I have this issue as well, it came with the latest update. After some time, normally after an hour+, the background items randomly loose their color and turn oily black. The only way around it I found is save the game then log out of the game completely (to desktop). Restart the game and it will be fine when you load the save game. It is the game not your equipment, or software as I play a number of other games, and Cyberpunk 2077 is the only game that does this, also I never had this issue pre latest patch.
Same here, this issue is new for me. On one hand, part of me thought maybe it could be related to old mod files but I definitely have a clean installation, and never saw this issue back when I was playing right after 1.5. One time though, I fixed it by simply exiting to menu and reloading rather than exiting to desktop.

That issue actually popped up for me too in 1.62. NEVER appeared in the patches before. Same computer, same setup. (besides of updating drivers and the normal window updates, temps are great and so on)

Usually happens after many hours of playing. It starts for me with NPC eyebrows becoming black missing textures (also had it happen once with the hair and shirt of an NPC becoming all weird in one of these newer gigs which popped up with Edgerunners.) It luckily just happened once with the face and neck of my V.
Closing the game to its main menu and reloading the save usually fixes it, which makes it a bit hard to believe its a hardware/driver issue considering that shouldnt just reset without fully closing the game. Cyberpunk is also the ONLY game it happens in and i am playing a lot of other graphical intense games.

I officially call 1.62 the useless buggy PT patch. lol
Phew, well good to know I'm not the only one. At first I was starting to get worried something was just wrong with my setup. I've definitely seen some complaints about 1.62 (I've noticed some like weird flickering at times when using DLSS that I never noticed before, maybe its always been there though idk). What a weird issue.

Honestly, now that I'm starting to see others are having the same issue I can relax a little. I thought it was something wrong with my drivers or installation. So now my mindset is it must be an issue on the game's end. Its possible a lot of people never see it simply because they log off before it has a chance to happen. Its an easy temporary fix though, just exiting to menu or desktop and reloading the save, but still hope maybe it'll be solved in a later patch.

Last edited:
Hopefully support sends you an e-mail confirming receipt and that they’re aware of the problem.

I get this from the white Cali. It goes black textureless, and full game restart is needed to restore it.
It's similar with its shadow, it becomes a biiiiiiiig rectangle without finesse.

It doesn't bother me, the game needs to see quite some bashing to get into such a state.

So far as I see via experimenting I turned off DLAA. I also turned of both DLSS as well as it slowed the game down. So, far no oily black background items. But a slight increase in game crashes.

I also experience this issue and the closest I can come to think of being an issue is memory leaks.
Similar things happen when the vram is depleted in X4: Foundations.
Graphical glitches and eventually a crash.

Top Bottom