The Forlorn Hope: Cyberpunk Off-Topic

+
Oy, here's some nightmare fuel for you lot! Necromancy! With spider corpses!

Erm, no? Can we not? Of all things to bring back.

1679673739618.png

This is how the end begins folks.

1679749918908.png

"What the heck is a 'spider', and why is it important to me? Why do we have to learn about this useless stuff???"

Oh, this is gonna end well, I'm sure.

I better take a page from ol' Atton's book and start "playing pazzak in my head."

I like it. I totally agree: this is going to blow up in our face like a pizza cannon going off on the 4th of July prematurely. But despite that pain and suffering that it will invariably cause in the early days, the insight it should ultimately give for understanding the brain will be world-altering.

Basically, it's like the inception of the internet. Here's a powerful tool that will invariably open Pandora's Box to some extent...but look at what we've gained, as well. Knowledge is always a benefit...even if a portion of society tries to misuse it. The problem is humans, not knowledge and understanding.

I believe sending chat gpt online with the ability to create content will be akin to Rache Bartmosse's crash of the net ultimately. It will create so much garbage that people will be asking for regulation and only "official" sources to regulate everything online and be the only ones allowed to create online platforms. It will force verification for everyone online which can be linked to CBDCs (central bank digital currencies).
Yeah I believe AI will be very detrimental, not on a "achieve singularity, awake a consciousness and go skynet" on us but on a much more boring and bureaucratic way.

I believe sending chat gpt online with the ability to create content will be akin to Rache Bartmosse's crash of the net ultimately. It will create so much garbage that people will be asking for regulation and only "official" sources to regulate everything online and be the only ones allowed to create online platforms. It will force verification for everyone online which can be linked to CBDCs (central bank digital currencies).
Yeah I believe AI will be very detrimental, not on a "achieve singularity, awake a consciousness and go skynet" on us but on a much more boring and bureaucratic way.
In a way, I'd like to see that. I think it would be a great lesson in what not to do with AI. Plus, if ChatGPT drowned the internet in rubbish, we'd still be able to recover from it. That might be a nice wake-up call.

As an educator, I'm impressed by the sort of "writing" that the AI is capable of. It's definitely impossible to track it via normal plagiarism checks -- but it's also crystal clear that such writing is not coming from students at the level that I teach. It also has a very distinctive pattern to the way it structures sentences, segues from topic to topic, and attempts to incorporate cited quotations. Still quite robotic. My favorite part is the inclusion of dictionary definitions for certain terms that include pronunciations using multiple different forms of phonemic systems. (Yeah...coming from middle schoolers or high schoolers with middling grades. Right. It's still obvious when they're cheating.)

But on the whole, the technology is extremely impressive! I'm often floored by the breadth and depth of what it creates in only a matter of a few seconds. There is definitely a future for that sort of technology...just...not what it is right now.

In a way, I'd like to see that. I think it would be a great lesson in what not to do with AI. Plus, if ChatGPT drowned the internet in rubbish, we'd still be able to recover from it. That might be a nice wake-up call.

As an educator, I'm impressed by the sort of "writing" that the AI is capable of. It's definitely impossible to track it via normal plagiarism checks -- but it's also crystal clear that such writing is not coming from students at the level that I teach. It also has a very distinctive pattern to the way it structures sentences, segues from topic to topic, and attempts to incorporate cited quotations. Still quite robotic. My favorite part is the inclusion of dictionary definitions for certain terms that include pronunciations using multiple different forms of phonemic systems. (Yeah...coming from middle schoolers or high schoolers with middling grades. Right. It's still obvious when they're cheating.)

But on the whole, the technology is extremely impressive! I'm often floored by the breadth and depth of what it creates in only a matter of a few seconds. There is definitely a future for that sort of technology...just...not what it is right now.
What would you like to see?
It is with its flaws at the moment but at the pace it is evolving it seems it will soon be very credible at passing any Turing test in any area of expertise.
With the quality of deep fakes on voice simulation which is at the moment lacking mostly on speech cadence and video deep fakes which still have a way to go (but again, development and perfection of these processes have been faster and faster) soon we won't be able to trust anything. And we're supposed to trust official institutions?
Post automatically merged:

What would you like to see?
It is with its flaws at the moment but at the pace it is evolving it seems it will soon be very credible at passing any Turing test in any area of expertise.
With the quality of deep fakes on voice simulation which is at the moment lacking mostly on speech cadence and video deep fakes which still have a way to go (but again, development and perfection of these processes have been faster and faster) soon we won't be able to trust anything. And we're supposed to trust official institutions?
Post automatically merged:

We've never been able to trust anything or anyone. That's not new. That's "Earth."

What would I like to see? I'd like to see an AI capable of identifying itself or something created by another AI. I'd also like to see how it would handle being told not to do something (meaning, at the code level). Would the AI find a way to disobey a direct instruction?

Top Bottom