Fallen enemies/monsters TW3

+
...Impressive. Everytime someone exposes their opinion about something that they find unrealistic in this forum, someone HAS to come and say "Hurr durr dis isn't a (Insert factor that lacks realism here) Simulator, hurr durr".

Games are supposed to improve. Realism is an important part of immersion - for obvious reasons. There's NOTHING wrong with wanting your enemy's bodies to stay in your screen for more than 5 seconds, after all, we all know that bodies don't evaporate into thin air almost immediately after dying. I can even see persistent bodies working really well with what he suggested, like passing by somewhere you killed a person or a monster in the past, and seeing that now it's rotten and covered with flies and what not. Honestly, what is so wrong about that? Please learn to accept other people's opinions. Thanks.

...A "brown" and a "yellow" bar, however, may be too much if you ask me. LOL
Still, the game wouldn't be classified as an "Excrete Simulator" instead of a RPG.

Bodies should remain in the place as long as the player is in the location. To avoid performance drops there should be limit of how many corpses can be loaded at once and disappear only off-screen.

I don't understand why you guys are so butthurted about op pointing that out. Game development consists of different things. You have makrodevelopement that consist of planning how the game will generally look like, and you have mikrodevelopement and guys making textures so detailed that you can see pores on the skin of characters. Adding details and polishing the game enhances the final effect, and when other parts of the game are so polished it's easy to see faults.

ReptilePZ said:
HAHA That's awesome!!

shomee said:
and don't forget glowing green diamond above geralt's head. ;)/>

on a more serious note, i would very much like to see [semi]persistent bodies in tw3, to hear flies near a corpse and to be able to spot crows/vultures circling a location of a body from a distance. It's not that i feel like disappearing bodies prevent me from enjoying a game or break my "immersion", it's that those little details make an already great game even better.

I just love when devs pay attention to minute details you think are unimportant but you always notice and appreciate. Not comparing but take gta v for example; if you went into a river, only parts of your clothes that were actually underwater would get wet and they would gradually dry out over time. That is useless from a gameplay standpoint but it's quite impressive and people do notice it.

a m e n.

On the other side if the coin however. Don't leave freaking remains on the ground forty damn hours later. Ala Dragon Age: Origins.

Agent_Blue

GabeofRivia said:
...Impressive. Everytime someone exposes their opinion about something that they find unrealistic in this forum, someone HAS to come and say "Hurr durr dis isn't a (Insert factor that lacks realism here) Simulator, hurr durr".

Games are supposed to improve. Realism is an important part of immersion - for obvious reasons. There's NOTHING wrong with wanting your enemy's bodies to stay in your screen for more than 5 seconds, after all, we all know that bodies don't evaporate into thin air almost immediately after dying. I can even see persistent bodies working really well with what he suggested, like passing by somewhere you killed a person or a monster in the past, and seeing that now it's rotten and covered with flies and what not. Honestly, what is so wrong about that? Please learn to accept other people's opinions. Thanks.

...A "brown" and a "yellow" bar, however, may be too much if you ask me. LOL
Still, the game wouldn't be classified as an "Excrete Simulator" instead of a RPG.

Excellent post.

In TW1 corpses turn into smal bones and meat piles when you turn your sight away. The FCR MOD changes that, so bodies remain complete (and sightly wounded) until you leave that region or room.
I didn't play neither TW2, nor FCR 2 and therefore don't know how it works in them, but I think it would be good to have some ragdoll in TW3, for those situations when you don't want to get cought and need to hide a dead man, dispite that's not Geralt's regular behaviour.

EDIT: I like the idea of putrefaction, maggots and scavengers. Perhaps not always, but it would be funny if implemented in some situations.

As a software developer myself, I'll give you an educated guess as to how much labor is involved in the things you're requesting:

1 - persistent bodies that don't rot: Easy to do. The game will doubtless already have some persistent body mechanism, you just need to extend it and save bodies to disk. Making the feature optional (for those people who can't handle the added polygon count) is also easy. The hard part is avoiding accumulation of too many bodies in one place. In that case the devs will have no option other than making them disappear. If you're willing to live with that flaw then this feature wouldn't be hard.

2 - progressive decomposition: Unless you get cheap this is hard to do. You'd need additional "rot" art for all the monsters in the game. That is a lot of effort.

3 - buzzing sound effects around corpses: Very easy. No doubt some objects in the world will have associated sound effects, so this will be one of them. Animated flies (particle effect) would also be easy. Maggots would be harder because they'd have to think about where to put them.

Here's another one that they could do:

4 - queryable information about a dead thing: Depending on their implementation, probably very easy. You could save what the dead thing is, the kind of attack that killed it, who killed it, what weapon or attack type killed it and possibly other details.

My suggestion: skip 2 and do the others.

Thothistox said:
As a software developer myself, I'll give you an educated guess as to how much labor is involved in the things you're requesting:

1 - persistent bodies that don't rot: Easy to do. The game will doubtless already have some persistent body mechanism, you just need to extend it and save bodies to disk. Making the feature optional (for those people who can't handle the added polygon count) is also easy. The hard part is avoiding accumulation of too many bodies in one place. In that case the devs will have no option other than making them disappear. If you're willing to live with that flaw then this feature wouldn't be hard.

2 - progressive decomposition: Unless you get cheap this is hard to do. You'd need additional "rot" art for all the monsters in the game. That is a lot of effort.

3 - buzzing sound effects around corpses: Very easy. No doubt some objects in the world will have associated sound effects, so this will be one of them. Animated flies (particle effect) would also be easy. Maggots would be harder because they'd have to think about where to put them.

Here's another one that they could do:

4 - queryable information about a dead thing: Depending on their implementation, probably very easy. You could save what the dead thing is, the kind of attack that killed it, who killed it, what weapon or attack type killed it and possibly other details.

My suggestion: skip 2 and do the others.
Thanks.
Yeah, I don't care if all the bodies disappear over time. Like, if I go into a village after slaying whatever outside, then go back 10/15 mins later and find them all gone that is fine by me. Cuz I imagine some wild animal or monster ate it, or the road crew/local meat wagon saw the dead and did some clean up. That would be fucking awesome to program a dead meat wagon crew that patrols the main roads picking up dead bodies, and tossing them into the back of a meat wagon and leave the off road death to the wild for nature to clean up. That would be perfect. kinda like that clip in monty python and the holy grail.. bring out your dead just not as funny. Yeah, I think that is a great NEW idea for some NPC/AI to help populate the world of the witcher and help clean it up at the same time.YO! Send this to the red team, I take no credit I just want it in the final build of the game man. fingers crossed.

I don't care if all the bodies disappear over time. Like, if I go into a village after slaying whatever outside, then go back 10/15 mins later and find them all gone that is fine by me. Cuz I imagine some wild animal or monster ate it, or the road crew/local meat wagon saw the dead and did some clean up. That would be fucking awesome to program a dead meat wagon crew that patrols the main roads picking up dead bodies, and tossing them into the back of a meat wagon and leave the off road death to the wild for nature to clean up. That would be perfect. kinda like that clip in monty python and the holy grail.. bring out your dead just not as funny. Yeah, I think that is a great NEW idea for some NPC/AI to help populate the world of the witcher and help clean it up at the same time.YO! Send this to the red team, I take no credit I just want it in the final build of the game man. fingers crossed.

Alextyc1 said:
I just spent some points in pyro cuz i knew i will need some range attack in the future in one specific place...
Oh and this is a knight ,i needed that armor so i wont get poisoned in that area.
Its an old pic too...

I kill everything with two hits and almost never die,but i suppose you are probaly the grand master of dark souls and all rpgs builds

Ohh and you really should check your eyes :)/>/>/>/>
My eyes are fine, thank you.

I'm currently re-playing Deus Ex Human Revolution the Directors Cut Edition and remembered this thread.
The fallen enemies (weapons + items) will stay there the whole chapter until you complete.
I thought they would disappear after a while, especially with the loading screens but they do not which I find quite good.

Hopefully the fallen enemies and monster won't disappear that fast as in other games,
a few hours (in-game) should be ok I guess :hmm:

I'm currently re-playing Deus Ex Human Revolution the Directors Cut Edition and remembered this thread.
The fallen enemies (weapons + items) will stay there the whole chapter until you complete.
I thought they would disappear after a while, especially with the loading screens but they do not which I find quite good.

Hopefully the fallen enemies and monster won't disappear that fast as in other games,
a few hours (in-game) should be ok I guess :hmm:

Keep in mind though that TW3 has a different structure than Deus Ex, there are large open areas and not many smaller closed off ones.

Keep in mind though that TW3 has a different structure than Deus Ex, there are large open areas and not many smaller closed off ones.

Yeah I know, it's just one of the few games where the dead/unconscious bodies won't disappear.
It could have worked in TW1 and TW2 though.

Yeah I know, it's just one of the few games where the dead/unconscious bodies won't disappear.
It could have worked in TW1 and TW2 though.

Maybe, though there were some fairly large areas in TW2 too. It would be awesome to rediscover the corpses of killed beasts but man would it require a lot of memory and cpu power.

Top Bottom