The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt PC version graphics option in launcher or inside video game?

+

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt PC version graphics option in launcher or inside video game?

• Total voters
For what purpose? Why would you specifically prefer to play a game with no anti-aliasing, unless you are running a 2560x1440 or 4k resolution?

You like looking at Jaggies? You like No or horrible looking shadows? I just... I'm sorry... Just having a real hard time understanding this right now...
He means no aliasing as in not being able to change his aliasing to the way he wants it set up.

Also some PC versions of video games have like 4 different types of Anti-aliasing (AA) in the graphics options menu. The PC version of Crysis 3 has FXAA, MSAA, TXAA and I forgot what the 4th Anti-aliasing (AA) is.

He means no aliasing as in not being able to change his aliasing to the way he wants it set up.

Also some PC versions of video games have like 4 different types of Anti-aliasing (AA) in the graphics options menu. The PC version of Crysis 3 has FXAA, MSAA, TXAA and I forgot what the 4th Anti-aliasing (AA) is.

I re-read the post like 3 times before replying, it didn't come across like that. I hope you're right though, because I just cannot possibly understand anyone preferring no AA. Multiple forms of AA isn't really bothersome but unless the Dev uses a really crappy form of AA it also can be a little pointless. I think they used some Custom AA in TW2? It worked perfectly & honestly I'll be happy with the same for TW3, if you really want you can just inject your own & with DX11 there really shouldn't be many issues with doing that.

That AA method in The Witcher 2 was brilliant. Efficient enough, kept sharp textures and didn't hit the frame rate much.
I'd like the settings in-game, with a few requiring restarting the game.

Well, I did some graphic design in the past, so I know what AA does. Saw it first-hand processing stuff. I prefer higher resolution (as much as I can get without fps drops) with no AA at all. I don't know why but to my eyes AA makes images a bit ... don't know how to say, too smooth, less appealing, or something. Just the way I see things. And I really do not like shadows for some reason. I almost always turn them off completely. It has nothing to do with tech, just with my visual perception.

I definitely prefer all of the options to be inside the game menu, not only graphics but audio, gameplay, load/save, control/key bindings options also, and maybe some extra options like "my notes about my game progress" where I can write down my notes, to do things etc. of course in my native language :p

I voted yes, but i'm more interested in how many options and how good the game look and run. Hope a Mantle version of TW3 will be out.

Well, I did some graphic design in the past, so I know what AA does. Saw it first-hand processing stuff. I prefer higher resolution (as much as I can get without fps drops) with no AA at all. I don't know why but to my eyes AA makes images a bit ... don't know how to say, too smooth, less appealing, or something. Just the way I see things. And I really do not like shadows for some reason. I almost always turn them off completely. It has nothing to do with tech, just with my visual perception.

Guess it makes sense, I'd rather play at 1440p or 4K with no AA, but 1080 I find it mandatory, although you do have to find the right AA because some of them can horribly blur or cause image issues. Each to their own I guess.

The other is SMAA, which is a successor to FXAA. Both are injectable, morphological methods; they rely on edge detection to avoid brute force computation. SMAA itself has four modes, including a temporal mode. Crytek and Zaragoza University did the research that produced SMAA. http://www.iryoku.com/smaa/downloads/SMAA-Enhanced-Subpixel-Morphological-Antialiasing.pdf

Last edited:
I don't care to be honest, though it could be important to highlight issue of loading times. Will witcher 3 start up and load games 'fairly' quick or not? If not then it could be a hassle to keep tuning graphics and restarting the game until your satisfied. But, again, I don't care, it is the Witcher 3 people! To play that I'll gladly wait! :laughing:

If your main critique of the game is having to exit the game and spend a few minutes tweaking the graphics, then fair play to CDPR for making an otherwise perfect game.

If you're anal about graphics settings, spend the 15-30 mins to get the options just right and you're set. Overall a very minor annoyance which will only be an inconvenience when reinstalling for the average consumer.

It is more about situation like we had in W1 where some machines started to lag when player entered Trade Quarter due to sudden need for more computing power.

If you have all of the options in the game menu then you will pause the game with "Esc" key, pull down some sliders from graphics menu and resume the game. Then check your frames per seconds, if you need to do it again, you can do it again very quickly till you get satisfied with frames per seconds.

Having to quit the game and start launcher then tweak options, then load last checkpoint, then check performance, possibly quit again, then start again launcher, then tweak options again and load last checkpoint again kinda breaks immersion.

One technical aspect no ones mentioned is if the game is a bit... shall we say... temperamental... having the options available without starting the game - into what may be a broken state - can prevent real headaches.

Modders, and mod users also like ease of access to settings prelaunch.

We can be almost certain the launcher will survive into TW3... i'd say the answer to this question is.... Both !

I voted "I don't care" but I don't see that request as too outlandish,
it is a "quality-of-life" feature many other games have and since CDPR trys to achieve excellence in all aspects they should include it if possible/enough time.

It is more about situation like we had in W1 where some machines started to lag when player entered Trade Quarter due to sudden need for more computing power.

If you have all of the options in the game menu then you will pause the game with "Esc" key, pull down some sliders from graphics menu and resume the game. Then check your frames per seconds, if you need to do it again, you can do it again very quickly till you get satisfied with frames per seconds.

Having to quit the game and start launcher then tweak options, then load last checkpoint, then check performance, possibly quit again, then start again launcher, then tweak options again and load last checkpoint again kinda breaks immersion.
^ This.

It gives me a headache to have to exit The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings to go in the video games launcher to tweak the graphics options. If the graphics options are inside the video game in the main menu in the options I can turn shadows on, off, low, medium, high, very high, ultra high, maximum or extreme if I want to.

I say all these different shadow options because some PC versions of video games have so many different options in the graphics options to choose how you want your shadows to be or if you just want the shadows on or off.

Top Bottom