Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, will try as you suggested. Well she can bite the syringe eventually if my fingers stay where they are :D
Incidentally, I also tend to associate people real face with their avatars. If only I hadn't seen some of your real face (yours, for example, dragonbird xD )
however... probably that's how a moderator should look like: scary like a dragon ;-)

I won't make the mistake of asking you if you associate any feline trace on my face :p BTW I'm really sorry about your situation in face of that "ew" expression meaning: it is assumed that you must heal me, not torture me

View attachment 1857

Gwynbleidd's first physical encounter with Saskia :)

(I think she still prefers dwarfs)

@Glaroug

I have a question for you. In the Pokemon world, do they eat meat? And if they do, do they slaughter pokemon? Are there types of pokemon that are socially unacceptable to eat? What about plants? Can you eat plant pokemon?

I want to tack on another question with Volsung's. Are there non pokemon animals, like cats and dogs? I watched the animation around the 7-8 years age but memory is fuzzy.

Also +1 for slipping that in.

Much longer than is likely nessesary but o well :p

Its pretty common in the games, anime, etc. to come across "nice" Pokemon food products such as Miltank milk, Combee honey or bits of grass pokemon being mucnhed on (small bits that often the Pokemon "harveste" himself to give ;) ).

But poeple definalt eat the more "darker" Pokemon food. In Gold and Silver, there is a market that sells slowpokt was a grim Saturaday morning as Ie tail and mentions of water Pokemon being munched on in delcious delicasys. One o fthe most well known and hilarious revelations of POkemon being used as food occurs waaaaaaaay back. It came as quite a shock that fine Saturaday morning when I saw it as a kid :p

(Skip to 1:35)

Hahaha, "If its that valuable I'll catch it!". Good ol'Saturady morning entertainment.

There are dozens and dozens of Pokedex (encyclopedia about Pokemon) entries that show Pokemon as eating each other and functioning no different than animals in the real world.

Heatmor: Using their very hot, flame-covered tongues, they burn through Durant's steel bodies and consume their insides.

There is also entries that seem to give evidence of "ghost" type POkemon killing people.

Honedge: If anyone dares to grab its hilt, it wraps a blue cloth around that person's arm and drains that person's life energy completely.

Well, this is longer than I intedned but o well. In Pokemon: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew (a spectaclar movie and rguably the best Pokemon Movie), the story brings togethor a fasincating glimpse at ancient life in the Pokemon world. We see massive hordes of Pokemon used as tools for war, fighting and killing one another. Pokemon as tools for war is touched is once again in presented in the new game. In Pokmeon X & Y, we learn of an ancient war that occured 3000 years ago, one that was stopped by and atomic bomb like device known simply as "The Ultimate Weapon" that ended the war by killing millions of people and Pokemon alike. Ultimate weapon I hear you asking? Well here is a little snip from POkemon X & Y tells the story well.

Thanks @Glaroug, that was exactly what I was looking for! That's a funny bit there... "especially when cooked with leek". Heh.

What about Csàszàr's question, are there non Pokemon animals? I remember there being Pokemon cats and dogs (or foxes or something). What defines what a Pokemon is? Could humans be a different type of Pokemon? And a slightly more paranoid question, could the Earth be a Pokemon?

With all those weird creature designs that honestly don't make any sense to me, I wonder how far the series will actually go before a reboot.

A bit too long winded for the Hairy Bear. Just pretend I'm Dandelion telling dull facts of some fairy tale kingdom :p

It is not an easy question, but I will try :p

What is a Pokemon? As far as I know, it is a none human, haha. How is it on this entire earth that humnas got jipped of the ability to evolve. What did we descend from? What did Pokemon descend from? Arrrgghhhh the questions.

Perhaps some things are best left under the bed :p

The reason I cannot answer this, or at least this is the excuse I'll give you :D, is the people in the world of Pokemon do not know themselves. Since ancient times people have questioned and dreamed up answers, contructing rich as well as silly mythologys and religous reasons much as the inhabitants of the real world.

Examples from the Sinnoh region.

It has the power to control time. It appears in Sinnoh-region myths as an ancient deity. A Pokémon spoken of in legend. It is said that time began moving when Dialga was born. A legendary Pokémon of Sinnoh. It is said that time flows when Dialga's heart beats. This Pokémon completely controls the flow of time. It uses its power to travel at will through the past and future.

It has the ability to distort space. It is described as a deity in Sinnoh-region mythology. IIt is said to live in a gap in the spatial dimension parallel to ours. It appears in mythology. A legendary Pokémon of Sinnoh. It is said that space becomes more stable with Palkia's every breath.I Its total control over the boundaries of space enable it to transport itself to faraway places or even other dimensions.

It is described in mythology as the Pokémon that shaped the universe with its 1,000 arms. IIt is told in mythology that this Pokémon was born before the universe even existed. It is said to have emerged from an egg in a place where there was nothing, then shaped the world. According to the legends of Sinnoh, this Pokémon emerged from an egg and shaped all there is in this world.

Its good to note not even the greatest scientist in all of Pokemon, Prof. Oak, knows all there is to know about Pokemon, as he states in the opening of Pokemon Gold/Silver. This is not a very big shock as with each game new Pokemon are discovered and your journey throughout each game encourages you to complete the Pokedex for Science!

But I do not take this ignorance as not knowing huge amounts fo information about Pokemon. The common Pokemon such as the dog/cat types you mentioned as well as birds and fish I take as known to all. Journeying to a new region or continent will certainly bring to light new types you've never seen beofre and with dawn of the 21rst century comes new technology to study this creatures----or even create though the use of genetics :p

The DNA of a space virus underwent a sudden mutation upon exposure to a laser beam and resulted in Deoxys. The crystalline organ on this Pokémon's chest appears to be its brain.

It was created by a scientist after years of horrific gene splicing and DNA engineering experiments.

A Pokémon that was resurrected from a fossil found in what was once the ocean floor eons ago.

Pokemon takes place on what I consider to be an alternate Earth. Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh are the settings for the first four games, all based on the Japanese regions they are named after. Unova, the setting for the fifth game, is a "Pokemonized" version of the US, particularly the big north east cities. The latest games are based in France.

Apart from obscure posters/promotional material from the "olden days" there is no evidence that I know of outside of vague references in the Pokedex of non-Pokemon inhabitants in the world. The vague references mentioned are often things like "small prey", "insects" and are used to describe to food of Pokemon that eat other creatures. Occasionally you'll see a real-world description used to describe Pokemon, such as the famous Pikachu being called a "mouse Pokemon" a category it shares with several Pokemon, some fo which are completely different types, such as a Sandslash a ground type. There is also Arcanine being crowned the Legendary Pokemon of China.

Gold Version Pokedex entry: This legendary Chinese Pokémon is considered magnificent. Many people are enchanted by its grand mane.

Despite it being what I consider to be an alterante earth, its setting is unique in its blend of modern techonolical life and old, anient life and a blend of "magic". Scenes of an older time often revolve around what are known as Lengendary Pokemon (these you cannot eat :p ). Legendary Pokemon often serve a special, important porpose either as guardians or bringers of nessessary things like rain to ensure harvests.

Various examples:

Kyogre has the power to create massive rain clouds that cover the entire sky and bring about torrential downpours. This Pokémon saved people who were suffering from droughts.

Groudon has long been described in mythology as the Pokémon that raised lands and expanded continents. This Pokémon took to sleep after a cataclysmic battle with Kyogre.

Rayquaza is said to have lived for hundreds of millions of years in the earth's ozone layer, above the clouds. Its existence had been completely unknown because it lived so high in the sky.
A Pokémon that flies endlessly in the ozone layer. It is said it would descend to the ground if Kyogre and Groudon were to fight.

Landorus: Lands visited by Landorus grant such bountiful crops that it has been hailed as "The Guardian of the Fields."

Lugia: It has an incredible ability to calm raging storms. It is said that Lugia appears when storms start.

Are Pokemon People? They are not. Through all its mediujms it is stressed and stated that Pokemon and Poeple are two seperate beings. They thrive off each other and one is instrumental in helping the other grow and thrive. New research has shown where People have a very direct impact on the growth and evolution of a Pokemon. Eevee is a prime example and is still very muhc an enimga. A trainers bond can determine which new Pokemon it will evolve into, if it evolves at all.

Furthermore, withh the correct conditions, a Pokemon thought to have previously reached the end of its evolituionary line can in fact evolve one more, though temporarly, due to an extrmeme connection with its partner.

Is the earth a Pokemon? Its a very real possiblity :p

Last edited:
Ah, school closed thanks to weather and it turns out to be a bright and shiny day! Huzzah! Drink and be merry!

I trust Saskia will be telling her story to Scully and Mulder soon.

So I was going to to get a natural gas contract today, only one building in the entire capital for the company that handles the city ( one company per city, yeah monopoly, illegal I might add but welcome to Romania ).

While there I started chatting up an old man who was there because he an issue with his bills, a man that looked familiar to me. Eventually I discovered that he was one of my old general school teachers and the one I most fondly remembered ( not easy since the bastard denied it for about half an hour before I remember his name ); A crafty old man with a great deal of life experiences also an accomplished poet and one of the best technology teachers in the country :)

Really brightened my day. I hope to stay in contact with him.

Last edited:
On the scale of Geralt to Iorveth, how hot are my new boots?

We're having Monday off because of a national holiday and I'm sooo happy to finally rest for a bit! Turns out that going home last week was a terrible idea, it only made me feel worse throughout the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom