Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye' no hugs but I'll order you a beer, Kodaemon. Go for the older, attractive, and more experienced women looking for a younger guy.

I've an uncle who didn't marry until his 80s. Shorlty thereafter he fell off his roof. Later he fell into into a well. Soon he actually sawed off the section of a limb his ladder was leaning agaisnt. Finally he met his end by getting kicked in the head by a horse around the 100 mark. If you ask me he was desperate to be back to his life before women. Stay gloriosly incandescent Sun Bro.

I'm looking for ideas for a computer enclosure, for a desktop.
It will be made of wood, and custom-built.
It will be floor-standing, fairly tall so I can use it for other storage too, with the computer itself at waist height. Holes drilled in the shelves to run cables inside the cabinet.
The panels will be a lattice design, so there'll be no problem with running the cables or with airflow. But the lattice holes will need to be small enough to stop a cat from getting inside, which also means I wouldn't be able to get my hand inside to access the on/off switch, USB ports and so on.
I'm stuck on the access method. I was thinking maybe hinged side doors for day-to-day access, and a hinged front for maintenance?
Has anyone tried this before, or does anyone have any bright ideas?

many women my age ( early-mid 20s ) are just not interested in a serious long term relationship, and I really don't care for a short term relationship. I guess it's understandable. People are getting their first job, their finishing Uni, doing their masters and so on, but still it's a big frustration of mine.

I'm not sure if this is true.. Women your age are basically in their prime. Things will only go downhill for them from that point and most women know that. That is the reason why many women your age are actually very interested in a long-term serious relationship, but what this long-term serious relationship would look like differs from women to women.

While some women indeed choose to focus on their study and career, most of these career women realize in the back of their head that time is running out for them, the biological clock is ticking, and if they want to get a good, attractive and proper man for a husband, they'll have to act sooner rather than later, else they'll end up as a cat lady.

Of course there are always exceptions, and I'm not saying that what I just said is true for everyone, I'm simply speaking from what I've experience and observed so far.

Last edited:
Emotional exhibitionism time:

Remember when I said I was going to uni along with my best friend? Well, we both got a crush on the same girl. She's 19, he's 24, I'm frickin' 30 and it's the first time I ever felt that way about someone. By the way, my friend actually urged me to talk to her at first, but I'm a total loser with zero self esteem who forgets his tongue whenever talking to a girl. Meanwhile, they started chatting away for entire days. I broke down into a nervous wreck. I'm currently on psych meds and starting group therapy this monday.

Yesterday, she friendzoned him, saying she prefers being single anyway.

Someone give me a hug.

You, my friend, need to learn the game.

The fact that she friendzoned him is good news for you. Now you can go in and NOT make the same mistake your 24-years-old friend made.

The first thing you need to do though is getting over your approach anxiety. Being nervous to approach a girl you like is normal, but it shouldn't keep you from making the approach. Just put on your game-face, give your anxiety the finger, walk up to her, and open her up. It doesn't really matter what you say, as long as you say something and start a conversation.

Try to see it like this: You're the salesman, she's a potential customer. Try to sell your product to her. The product you'll try to sell is you.
If you see it like that, approaches will become a lot easier. But keep in mind there is always a chance she will reject you, and this is the real reason why many boys/men are afraid to approach girls/women, they're afraid to get rejected. Don't be. You being scared of rejection is going to make sure you're gonna be forever alone.

Why be afraid of rejection anyway? It doesn't even make sense. You really have nothing to lose. When you approach her there is 50% chance you'll go home together with her and a 50% chance you'll go home alone without her, while if you don't approach her you'll 100% certainly go home alone. It's really that simple.

Edit:

Also, you need to change your mindset. You're being too negative. If you yourself think you're "a total loser with zero self esteem", then how can you expect girls to think anything else? Your lack of self-esteem will reflect on your looks and behavior, girls will pick up on that and they'll avoid you like the plague because guess what, girls want confident and stable men.

Does that mean you need to change yourself or who you are? Definitely not. All I'm saying is that you need to change how you see yourself. Change your mindset, that's all you need.

From now on, you're gonna stop thinking that you're a total loser with zero self esteem, and start thinking you're the fucking bomb and you're fucking amazing.

Last edited:
Emotional exhibitionism time:

Remember when I said I was going to uni along with my best friend? Well, we both got a crush on the same girl. She's 19, he's 24, I'm frickin' 30 and it's the first time I ever felt that way about someone. By the way, my friend actually urged me to talk to her at first, but I'm a total loser with zero self esteem who forgets his tongue whenever talking to a girl. Meanwhile, they started chatting away for entire days. I broke down into a nervous wreck. I'm currently on psych meds and starting group therapy this monday.

Yesterday, she friendzoned him, saying she prefers being single anyway.

Someone give me a hug.

Sorry to hear that bro.

Look at it like this - a good girl that is the one for you wouldn't put you on meds or into group therapy. She would see through your shyness, help you out with the talking and be wise enough to get the best out of you. She would take your shaking hand, look into your hesitant eyes and whisper Don't say anything. I know while you're trying to find words to match the beauty of the rough diamond you just found.

Oh, and she went for your friend instead? Well, she just lost something special.

Sorry to hear that bro.

Look at it like this - a good girl that is the one for you wouldn't put you on meds or into group therapy. She would see through your shyness, help you out with the talking and be wise enough to get the best out of you. She would take your shaking hand, look into your hesitant eyes and whisper Don't say anything. I know while you're trying to find words to match the beauty of the rough diamond you just found.

Oh, and she went for your friend instead? Well, she just lost something special.

No offense, but I find this rather idealistic and unrealistic, this is simply not how reality works. The stuff you just wrote down might happen after she's already your girlfriend (in that case you'll have a really amazing girlfriend, cause most girls aren't like this), but this is never gonna happen if you haven't even approached her yet. Life isn't a fairytale. If you want a woman on your side that is worth something, you'll have to work for it.

Also, you can't blame the girl for the fact that Kodeamon is on meds and going to group therapy. It sounds to me like his sel-esteem issues are rooted into something much deeper than that. The root of the problem is probably something completely unrelated to this girl.

I'm looking for ideas for a computer enclosure, for a desktop.
It will be made of wood, and custom-built.
Has anyone tried this before, or does anyone have any bright ideas?

Well, howmuch day to day access do you need? MostlyUSB devices, right? Instead of opening and closing doors, can you just run a USB hub out and plug into that? You power off from your OS..you can probably set it for keyboard power on.

Just make sure you can pull the unit clean out for maintenance. I saw a roller-type tray that slid out of the enclosure once. Looked snazzy, but make sure the enclosure won't tip.

No offense, but I find this rather idealistic and unrealistic, this is simply not how reality works. The stuff you just wrote down might happen after she's already your girlfriend (in that case you'll have a really amazing girlfriend, cause most girls aren't like this), but this is never gonna happen if you haven't even approached her yet. Life isn't a fairytale. If you want a woman on your side that is worth something, you'll have to work for it.

I don´t know... It´s true that it´s not the most common thing, but it´s not unrealistic IMO.
And, even though I know you were trying to help Kodaemon with your earlier post, to some people it is so difficult to face the possibility of speaking to someone they like that other people really don´t understand them, and actually might hurt them without even knowing it. I´m not saying this is your case, but I´m talking from experience... I´ve had serious difficulties in my life to approach girls, and sometimes people trying to help me get through it actually made me feel worse.

Personally, @Kodaemon, I think the best thing someone shy as you can do to approach a girl they like is to actually become friends with her. IMO, this "friendzone" thing is more for teenagers... Mature people can find atractiveness from the intimacy developed by a friendship.
Again, I´m talking from experience here, since that´s how I started dating my girlfriend... we were friends before starting dating. That was over 3 years ago, now we´re living together and I´m planning proposing to her during a journey we´ll be making in a couple months. And, really, the trust we had in each other from our friendship when we started dating really helped me. I won´t deny that it was also a bit weird at the beginning, with our history together as friends, but it was totally worth it (and kind of exciting too!).

So, that´s my advice to you. I really hope things get better for you!
And, really, you can´t give up, man! Being 30 years old you have your whole life ahead of you... you can find someone who´s right for you, I´m absolutely sure about it!

This is what I've currently come up with:

UPS on the bottom shelf, computer on the middle one (desk height), peripherals on the higher shelf, Gaps between the shelves and back panel for internal cable runs, and a dirty great hole in the back panel for the main power cable.

Keyboard power on. By cat. Nope, probably not :)
I thought about a sliding shelf for the computer, but I'd be very wary about it toppling over, and my desk will be in front of it anyway. I think that with this design it would be easy enough to lift it out.

I don´t know... It´s true that it´s not the most common thing, but it´s not unrealistic IMO.
And, even though I know you were trying to help Kodaemon with your earlier post, to some people it is so difficult to face the possibility of speaking to someone they like that other people really don´t understand them, and actually might hurt them without even knowing it. I´m not saying this is your case, but I´m talking from experience... I´ve had serious difficulties in my life to approach girls, and sometimes people trying to help me get through it actually made me feel worse.

Personally, @Kodaemon, I think the best thing someone shy as you can do to approach a girl they like is to actually become friends with her. IMO, this "friendzone" thing is more for teenagers... Mature people can find atractiveness from the intimacy developed by a friendship.
Again, I´m talking from experience here, since that´s how I started dating my girlfriend... we were friends before starting dating. That was over 3 years ago, now we´re living together and I´m planning proposing to her during a journey we´ll be making in a couple months. And, really, the trust we had in each other from our friendship when we started dating really helped me. I won´t deny that it was also a bit weird at the beginning, with our history together as friends, but it was totally worth it (and kind of exciting too!).

So, that´s my advice to you. I really hope things get better for you!
And, really, you can´t give up, man! Being 30 years old you have your whole life ahead of you... you can find someone who´s right for you, I´m absolutely sure about it!

I don't think the friendzone is age-restricted. It can happen at any age and it can happen to anyone. The best way to deal with the friendzone is to either not care about it, or do what you did.

Personally I find it rather difficult to go from a normal friendship with a girl to an actual relationship with that same girl. For me that never worked out. It's often too awkward, not to mention that more often than not, when I try to move my friendship with a lady-friend to the next level, she'll friendzone me with something along the lines of "no sorry, we're such good friends and I don't wan to ruin that, let's stay friends".

While I see that your approach might be a good way to start approaching girls if you're really shy, I don't think the chances of success will be really high with that approach, based on my own experiences. I think my approach that I vaguely described in my earlier post (I guess I could give some more details) will give Kodeamon a higher chance of success, but only if he manages to change his mindset first (which isn't easy, I know).

Keyboard power on. By cat. Nope, probably not :)
I thought about a sliding shelf for the computer, but I'd be very wary about it toppling over, and my desk will be in front of it anyway. I think that with this design it would be easy enough to lift it out.

Well, you only turn your power on once a day if that. Use a two-key activation.

Quite pretty. I like the latticework. Will it be that red colour?

That seeeeems like a LOT of doors.How thick is your power cable? You shouldn't need a particularly great hole, not much bigger than 3 cm I'd think, for a 3-prong cable, just to get the head in.

...phrasing

I've got to agree with Lucos on the friendzone, it's more of a new age term that describes a problem that has been going on since however long. It just so happens this girl just happens to be a late teen.

My advice based on personal experience(other than my super duper I'm totally not kidding advice on older mistresses):

Both Lucos' and Gedeirond's advice are good. One suits some but I think the latter, being friends first, might be better for you, Kodaemon. But the friend side is a double edged sword. 1). Because of the friendzone and 2). The want of wanting to be in a relationship with a friend and being turned down instead of by some random bird hurts a lot worse. Which will probably end up with jealousy as soon as you see her with another dude. And finally 3). The "let's just stay friends" almost never works out. Leading to bad things.

But those are the cons. There are pros. 1). More time spent with each other better establishes a history. 2). You already know a good bit about each other which builds much needed trust. And 3). Before you make a move you can get an idea if she also wants to before you attempt to.

Build up some confidence though and random turndowns will just roll off your shoulder.

Man relationship stuff should be in the man thread.

Meh. It's a virtual bar - seems an appropriate place to talk about relationships. Add alcohol an a lot of yelling over the bass. While keeping half an eye on that hot piece of whatever sex you prfer that just walked past. Voila.

Slim, have I mentioned how IMPRESSIVE the amount of redpoints you have is? You really are The Man.

Bit o' a first world problem here. Cell phones, specifically charging one. The last two I've owned have charging docks that are as loose as well... I mean if the cat brushes the chord or if my house is settling boom it stops charging and my alarm clock is gone. It seems like everyone I know has the most snug and secure docks. I spent an hour tyring to get the last phone to charge one day and my switch blade ended up stabbing it. Anyone else have this problem?

If I were the kind of guy who gets theirs at a mobile store they'd probably look at me funny as my only concern would be the steadiness of the dock.

/rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom