A romance that affects Geralt

+
"Triss isn't completely innocent, she hasn't been honest with you about many other matters.."
-Philippa

hmm.. wonder what those could be.

And we all know Philippa is the soul of honesty. She may be well informed, but she is also the first to paint her enemies in false colors even when she is telling the truth.

Yeah, Triss has kept information from Geralt, but those who most want to use Geralt for their own nefarious ends are the quickest to exploit this. Triss is guilty of nothing more than getting in over her head, naively trying to do good, and being a fool in love.

And we all know Philippa is the soul of honesty. She may be well informed, but she is also the first to paint her enemies in false colors even when she is telling the truth.

Yeah, Triss has kept information from Geralt, but those who most want to use Geralt for their own nefarious ends are the quickest to exploit this. Triss is guilty of nothing more than getting in over her head, naively trying to do good, and being a fool in love.

How could you not believe Philipa? Just look at her - a sincerity itself! :)

I agree about Triss. She is not evil, and it seems she sincerely tries to do good, both for Geralt and for the North. She just can't handle all of it, and she wants to be with Geralt at any cost. I'll forgive her as soon as I find Yen, but I am afraid Triss does not teleport as fast as Yen slings fireballs. She was warned once, and now it is WAR!

You got confused, i never said Geralt keeps his feelings or emotions for Yen, especially his love, if that's what you mainly referred too, after the amnesia, I said he remains to be the changed person that he is after living such things. By how your comment reads, its as if Geralt with amnesia or without it would be exactly the same person to you except he remembers the past in the later, well, remembering the past changes a person and his feelings and emotions deeply in my opinion.

I also never assumed Geralt's relationship with Triss isnt currenty strong compared to that the one with Yen now, but I'll just take it as a generalization that you just used to give an example and hopefully didnt meant include me in it.

And about the books, well if you're tired of seeing games compared to the books, don't read the comments past the part where you see someone refers to the books in a thread related to the game, I on the other hand think you can compare pretty much anything with anything and get something valuable and insightful of it if you do it properly and organized, especially when its in a way that one doesnt use later to try to change everything to personally fit his own taste or opinion.

In my second paragraph, in case you also misunderstood me or assumed wrong things, i want to clarify that I meant that that's what i think CDPRED will do for TW3, not what I want, its speculation.

Regarding this "As a matter of fact the games are RPGs, and so each player's Geralt might be different from the next. And people would enjoy the games more if they just imagined they have lost their memories like Geralt, and would forget about the books. Let CDPR to reintroduce you to the books in the Witcher 3 and go with the flow. "

I agree with it mostly, but I think a lot of people love to get into the role of a pre-existing and defined character rather than also creating him/her besides role-playing, and im fine with that, I know we dont "create" Geralt but an amnesia Geralt is closer to a blank character more than just regular Geralt, and in fact, i've experienced the taste of this myself, not all the times in RPGs I like my char to be either a fully blank page, or a partially blank page, especially when we take into account that a TON of RPGs suffer from terrible writing, choice and consequences implementation, and social relationships portrayal, only because they must give you freedom, but thats another subject, perhaps for another thread.
Only the first sections of my comment was addressing you my friend. I specifically pushed "Enter" two times to start a new paragraph, but for some reason the two portions got combined. The second part was addressing the book lovers who bash CDPR for not bringing Yen and Ciri to the games from the get go.
I strongly disagree with your statement "you're playing a very different Geralt in TW3, you're playing the real Geralt, not the amnesia suffering one". The Geralt in the Witcher 3 is not the same Geralt from the books. He has lost his memory, and he has re-experienced life with a blank mind and without Yennefer's intervention, he has found a new love, he has new friends, new allies, new enemies, and he also has met some of his old friends in the process. He has a new perspective on life. He gained his memories back, and now he has his old life intruding into his new life. He loves Triss, yet he used to love Yen and so he feels obligated to find her; He has not met Ciri in his new life, yet she was like a daughter to him in his past life. Geralt in the Witcher 3 is going to be a very conflicted and unstable character with his past and new life contradicting and opposing each other. This is also true for his new life or Geralt from the games. He is not going to be the same Geralt from the books or the games. He can't just disregard his new life, love, experiences, and his new perspective on life, nor he can discard his past life and experiences, love, and perspective.

Last edited:
She's lovely. Not perfect of course, she lied to him or at least omitted important things. But she likes the man you can't deny it..

She either really likes/loves Geralt, or is trying to make it look like she does, to get closer and closer to him. To use him maybe? Who knows.

The Geralt i've been shaping doesn't love her though. It's not about looks. Whores have good looks as well, but that's no reason to love them and settle down somewhere.

Anyway, i'm sure they'll give us some choice in this.

Last edited:
Why would Triss want to "ensnare" Geralt ?
Geralt is not the dashing Prince who sweeps ladies off their feet. As a matter of fact he is ugly and he has a lot of ugly scars to go with it, and he looks like a freak with the spooky eyes and the white hair. So looks are out of the window.
She doesn't want Geralt for his political status, since she is a sorceress and an adviser to King Foltest and a member the lodge of sorcerers. As a matter of fact she helped Geralt by introducing him to major political players such as Thaler, Ada, and the rest of them at the party. She did not tell Foltest that the assassin was a Witcher to protect Geralt. She kept Geralt away from the lodge to protect him.
Triss does not need Geralt for protection, because she is a powerful sorceress. As a matter of fact she could turn Geralt into dust before he can even draw his sword. Geralt did not protect her, she protected Geralt when he had lost his memory. She took care of him when he ran away from Wild hunt and appeared at Kaer Morhen, she saved his life when he was defeated by Azar Javed, she took him to her home and took care of him until he recovered after the Javed fight, she created a magic barrier to prevent the Scoiatel from arrowing Geralt and Roach, and so on. Geralt is nothing but burden for her.
The way i see it, Triss loves Geralt from the bottom of her heart and she expected nothing in return. Geralt couldn't give her anything after he had lost his memory, and he needed someone to protect and guide him. Out of all of his friends, Triss was the one who stepped up. She loved, nurtured, and protected Geralt, when he was at his most vulnerable state and could give nothing back to her.

I never said she did need Geralt Shawn, I said she wanted to ensnare him because she loves him, and with his memory coming back the Roses were her last chance to do so. I never said he was handsome, that he didn't owe her a debt and that she wasn't his true friend, however I believe she's kept quiet about Yen on purpose, probably to snare the Witcher, believing the sorceress is most likely dead and Geralt is fair game. Nothing wrong with that but my Geralt only has one purpose and that is to find Yen, Triss' attraction to him is a secondary thing and nothing in comparison to the paradise he shared with Yennefer.

I've got nothing against Triss, I like her (not the voice actress) and feel nothing but pity for her at the moment. She is a trusted friend and has proven herself time and again, and will most likely be a feature of Geralt's life 'til the end, but she is just not Yen.

OP i think the description of what you want kind of fits the history of Yen and Geralt in the books pretty well, so I really doubt that any kind of romance could affect Geralt after that or beyond that.

All we got left in this subject in my opinion is seeing this relationship from the books well presented and told in the game and then just play it and continue it, remember this time you're playing a very different Geralt in TW3, you're playing the real Geralt, not the amnesia suffering one.

Nice point, thankyou. I'm curious to read the books so I can understand better what was going onbetween Geralt and Yennefer. Still, hope the game doesn't 'force' you to choose her or something like this.

"And also I'm tired of seeing games getting compared to the books, the games are not the books. As a matter of fact the games are RPGs, and so each player's Geralt might be different from the next. And people would enjoy the games more if they just imagined they have lost their memories like Geralt, and would forget about the books. Let CDPR to reintroduce you to the books in the Witcher 3 and go with the flow."

Nice point too. I liked Triss since the beginning of TW 1 so at least I hope they give you the option to continue or not the romance with her. Still, I hope romances actually impact the story and Geralt himself. I love ME series but romances have zero impact on Shepard - when in real life our important romantic relations tend to teach us something or change us in some way. But of course it would be a plus, the important thing is that the story is Epic and finishes in an epic way. If romance plays a role in this 'epicness' and is capable of changing/affect the end(s), I'll be extra happy.

Thank you for your interpretation, Bloth.
“If you pursue the romance with Triss 'tilthe end you will find written in the identity quests last entry anacknowledgement that a sorceress being the love of your life feelsright, and personally I feel Triss has been using this mistake fromthe beginning”.
I didn't think about that, but after playing TW 2 I can say it is very feasible that Triss was sort of manipulating Geralt since she helped him in Kaer Mohren. But at least she did it out of love – if it excuses her.
And you have a way with words, sir. I can say that and English is not even my native language as you can obviously see.

"I've got nothing against Triss, I like her (not the voice actress) and feel nothing but pity for her at the moment. She is a trusted friend and has proven herself time and again, and will most likely be a feature of Geralt's life 'til the end, but she is just not Yen"

I'm really curious about Yen.

The way I see it Geralt is and will be affected positively AND negatively by the mere presence of Yennefer. Their "destinies" are bound not by will but by wish, and there is "nothing" they can do about it. Their love/hate relationship is very interesting from my point of view. I really like the story "A Shard of Ice", where Yen shows just how cold and calculating she can be while still caring for Geralt. I think Geralt ends up feeling emotionally hurt in the end, a sensation he cannot get from most monsters.

What tiadelamare proposes sounds indeed very feasible as part of TW3's plot. Whether we "choose" Yen or not, I think she already affected Geralt and most likely will keep affecting him one way or another.

Thank you Volsung, "A Shard of Ice" is a chapter of some book? Which one?

Oh, no, it's a book, thank you.

Ok, it's a witcher short story, thank you for the tip.
But there is a book with this title according to internet. :)

Last edited:
Bah, women - good luck trying to figure them out.

but we're just like you men! Really. Not very different. Men and women are both egoistical by nature but in some rare moments men and women are both capable of infinite love. :)

Last edited:

Only the first sections of my comment was addressing you my friend. I specifically pushed "Enter" two times to start a new paragraph, but for some reason the two portions got combined. The second part was addressing the book lovers who bash CDPR for not bringing Yen and Ciri to the games from the get go.
I strongly disagree with your statement "you're playing a very different Geralt in TW3, you're playing the real Geralt, not the amnesia suffering one". The Geralt in the Witcher 3 is not the same Geralt from the books. He has lost his memory, and he has re-experienced life with a blank mind and without Yennefer's intervention, he has found a new love, he has new friends, new allies, new enemies, and he also has met some of his old friends in the process. He has a new perspective on life. He gained his memories back, and now he has his old life intruding into his new life. He loves Triss, yet he used to love Yen and so he feels obligated to find her; He has not met Ciri in his new life, yet she was like a daughter to him in his past life. Geralt in the Witcher 3 is going to be a very conflicted and unstable character with his past and new life contradicting and opposing each other. This is also true for his new life or Geralt from the games. He is not going to be the same Geralt from the books or the games. He can't just disregard his new life, love, experiences, and his new perspective on life, nor he can discard his past life and experiences, love, and perspective.

Oh dont worry then, mistakes/bugs happen.

There's a bit of a confusion here, you disagree with me apparently, but I actually agree with what you just said :laughing:

Maybe i used the wrong words, when i said the real Geralt, I meant a complete Geralt, not just the Geralt from the books obviously, as he has lived so many experiences after the books, I meant that the TW3 Geralt is simply the one that now remembers everything from his life, which of course includes what we get in the games as well, and if you still disagree about this being a very different character than the one we play with in the games, well I guess thats the point where we can truly disagree with each other, since to me a character that remembers mostly the latests months of his life compared to one that recalls situations and information from many decades is a pretty different thing.

Ok, women are 'trickier' perhaps, I'll give you that. At least I know I am complicated.
Still, women and men are essentially egoistical by nature and both need love (in a variety of forms) like air.
We have more similarities then differences, really.

God this forum is addictive and I have work to do. :/

Last edited:
Top Bottom