Thief

+
We invented the concept of the modern special forces and ours are still the badest of badasses on the planet.

Hah! Beat you to stealth! XII century, baby!

NOBODY suspects a thing.

Forum veteran
So far, I like it. Very thief-y.
Does it have monsters? Or zombies? Or whatever those freaking things were in the first game?

That's where I quit in the first game. If they're not around anymore, though, this might be worth picking up.

Does it have monsters? Or zombies? Or whatever those freaking things were in the first game?

That's where I quit in the first game. If they're not around anymore, though, this might be worth picking up.

Not so far, only a few hours in. I take my time, wander around, peer into dead ends, etc. Levels are a litle too linear so far, but compensated for by the immersion. You can bypass areas and/or route around challenges or go through, so they aren't, I dunno, Bioshock linear.

I know what you mean - those zombies were both creepy and annoying. Humans are much more fun.

Edit: so i decided to test the whole, 'duck into the closet after the guard spots you" bug. Yeah, that didn't work. He opens the doors, grunts, "get out of there!" and bodily pulls you out.

Edit edit: i am on Master difficulty, with Loot glint, object highlight, maps, and pretty much everything else turned off. Additionally, no focus vision and no healing from food or poppies..a few other things, too.

Last edited:

Trailer showed some "monsters" at least. So propably will encounter some in the later half.

Sard was it already released in States? 28th in Europe I believe.

You' ve never played the cradle bit from deadly shadows? Really?
What about SS 2, Amnesia games or whatever makes use of stealth?

Last edited:

Forum veteran
You' ve never played the cradle bit from deadly shadows? Really? What about SS 2, Amnesia games or whatever makes use of stealth?
Nope, nope, and nope. Never tried a Thief game beyond the first one, and Amnesia isn't something I'm remotely interested in because jump scares always feel cheap. I had the CD for SS2 once upon a time and tried to play it, but it didn't really hold my interest for more than a few minutes. I just don't like the idea of monsters in a stealth game.

I think part of it has to do with the suspension of disbelief; I can accept some weird stuff like Dishonored's world, but throwing monsters into the mix takes away from the grounded feeling that makes sneaking around feel so satisfying.

Oh 227, I am disappoint. Amnesia is not jump scares. It's atmosphere, dread and tension. And Sard, I hope you've tried Dishonored. Wonderful game.

I think part of it has to do with the suspension of disbelief; I can accept some weird stuff like Dishonored's world, but throwing monsters into the mix takes away from the grounded feeling that makes sneaking around feel so satisfying.

I utterly sympathize. I love the idea of horror games - I own Amnesia and Outlast. The kill-the-protagonist bit really appeals to my inner GM. Have I mentioned I need to run a Cpunk game soon or people may perish?

But the tension and the jump scars combine to make playing both actually unpleasant to me. Some of it is also frustration - I feel trapped when I shouldn't be and it feels false.

And monsters in games like Thief put my hackles up. Just so...unnecessary. And boring, without the fun dialogue!

Trailer showed some "monsters" at least. So propably will encounter some in the later half.

Sard was it already released in States? 28th in Europe I believe.

Yeah, it's out already. And I was already stumped by the combination safe. So obvious, I never even tried the obvious. Leeeelte out of practice, i think.

I've decided I'm just going to think of the new Thief as Dishonored II. I may like it then.

I approve strongly of the idea behind the old Thief games, but I've only ever played the first all the way through. Despite how brilliant they were in concept, I still got bored before the end. They're still in my backlog though.

And Sard, I hope you've tried Dishonored. Wonderful game.

I have tried and like Dishonoured. A lot.
But.
But.

I didn't love it. And I'm..not sure why not. It was everything I'd missed when playing Thief, soo..yeah. Maybe too many options? Or too powerful?

Very hyped, preordered, downloaded the different versions of the song ( techno version is quite fun, btw), etc. etc. and had a blast playing it. Haven't played it again or any of the DLC. Go figure.

Forum veteran
Amnesia is not jump scares. It's atmosphere, dread and tension.
Maybe so; I've only watched a few videos of it, so it's possible that I just happened to watch the ones that have the game's few jump scares in them. Still, I don't like the idea of not being able to fight back. Bashing faces in is always an option in real life, so not having that option in a game where it'd be an even more valid response than to the local supermarket running out of my favorite cereal is disappointing at best.

I didn't love it. And I'm..not sure why not.
The lack of main character dialogue, maybe? It's a bit jarring how everyone speaks except Corvo. I found the story to be pretty weak as well, though using The Heart on pretty much everything in the game totally made up for that.

The lack of main character dialogue, maybe? It's a bit jarring how everyone speaks except Corvo. I found the story to be pretty weak as well, though using The Heart on pretty much everything in the game totally made up for that.

Ye-ah..no. I loved Fallout New Vegas - no voice there. I really liked SKyrim and played it as a Fighter/Mage and an assassin - no voice there either. The Heart was mildly amusing, no better. I...yeah, I dunno. I'll get all the DLCs later.

I am intrigued by this favourite breakfast cereal of yours, nine-one-one. Tell em what it is? I cannot imagine you enjoying..food. Well, not unliving, unmoving, unscreaming food.

So, it's Thief. I can-NOT for the life of me, find these last two collectibles. Damn.

Oh 227, I am disappoint. Amnesia is not jump scares. It's atmosphere, dread and tension. And Sard, I hope you've tried Dishonored. Wonderful game.
For some reason I found Dishonored boring. Perhaps it was the brown/grey/dirty world. It also felt rather linear. Loved the melee combat though, very visual (wish something similar for CP2077).

I think my biggest problem was that the stealth was so boring and I knew that killing made the wolrd worse so I "had" to do the non-lethal. Game got fun in the last level when I went all ballistic though :)

Forum veteran
I...yeah, I dunno.
Maybe you didn't love it because that Outsider dude looks like he belongs in a boy band? Just throwing stuff at the wall, here.

You really only found The Heart mildly amusing, though? Being able to hear people's secrets and details about the area I was in helped fill in some of the game's less-than-optimal pacing, so I'd say that my enjoyment of the game hinged almost entirely on my near-obsessive use of it. Different strokes, I guess. Your strokes are sick and wrong, though.

And as for cereals, it's fair to say that I consume Life whenever possible. Oh, and that one that has the little blueberries in it. There's nothing like a bunch of chemically-enhanced blueberries to start the day off right.

And as for cereals, it's fair to say that I consume Life whenever possible. Oh, and that one that has the little blueberries in it. There's nothing like a bunch of chemically-enhanced blueberries to start the day off right.

Oooh! Yum! These? I've had these before. You're from Colorado - all you people are healthy, right? Aside from the dope, of course.

https://www.kashi.com/our-foods/col...to-heart-oat-flakes-blueberry-clusters-cereal

I found the Heart mildly amusing because it didn't say much that was very clever. Perhaps you found it clever. Different standards, I guess. In your case, worse ones.

For some reason I found Dishonored boring. Perhaps it was the brown/grey/dirty world. It also felt rather linear. Loved the melee combat though, very visual (wish something similar for CP2077).

I think my biggest problem was that the stealth was so boring and I knew that killing made the wolrd worse so I "had" to do the non-lethal. Game got fun in the last level when I went all ballistic though :)

Oh, it was totally linear except for the ACTUAL linearity of how to get from A to B and how many people to kill on the way. That doesn't really bother me unless they call it a story-driven game. I enjoyed the gameplay a LOT.

Corvo being unvoiced was the biggest problem for me, not in itself, but because it made him a cypher - I found it very hard to actually give a shit about him.

And the best thing was definitely the Drunken Whaler trailer. And blinking across light fittings.

Top Bottom