Walkable meshes, such as buildings

+
Walkable meshes, such as buildings

So, my problem is the following:

I've placed a Warehouse, using the template I find in templates\environment\architecture\port_buildings\warehouse_01

After having placed it in the map, I'd like to walk into it: Geralt should therefore take the few steps of its stairs, and walk on its wooden stage.

So, I place lots of path areas to be sure that the mesh is modeled correctly, generate the navigation map as I always do and try to walk in.
Unfortunately, although Geralt can be stopped by the pillars and external walls of the warehouse, he totally ignores the wooden stage, walking through it.

Basically, Geralt always walks on the terrain base, even if it means walking through the mesh itself.

Yes, it has collisions, as I can see by activating the filter for it. And yes, the walkmap is generated, as I can also see.

However, Geralt always passes through that wooden stage.

What can I do?

Thanks for any help :)

Firstly mesh collission should be set to walkable (since you're using enity it should be set up properly already there), secondly you can play with navigation properties in Navigation Mesh Tool. Try different maxStepHeight values and keep rebuilding navmesh. If that won't work, then try enabling walkOnMeshes.

Thanks for the good advice, but turns out it didn't work.

As I see it, the main problem is having a collision mesh right from the start, like you point out. House interiors usually don't have them, and you find yourself walking through the wooden floor. But in one house the interiors already have collision meshes, and there I have no problems.
There's even the correct wooden sounds when Geralt steps on them.
Nothing else works, besides having collision meshes right from the start.

So, I'm going to add collision meshes to copies of those entities and use the copies in the map.

I'll update this thread with the outcome :)

templates\environment\architecture\port_buildings\warehouse_01

is the entity I'm trying to step onto. I realize now that there are many more entities for house interiors and some of them have collision meshes, some others don't.

I'm gonna play around with them as well. It appears that collision meshes may be somehow related to doors working properly, but I'm not sure. For some houses doors work fine straight away, for others I keep getting the error "all links outside navmesh", probably referring to the exploration links the door is related to.
But still I can't make them properly point to the navmesh, in some cases (house_03 is an example of that).

Ok. Entity consist only one non static mesh without collission. Fix - Add Model as Static Mesh to the scene, go into it's properties and change pathEngineCollissionType value to PEC_StaticWalkable. Rebuild navigation mesh. Done :D

Hmm. Tried to do that, but apparently I can't add it as a Static Mesh.

What I do: I select the entity in the asset browser, make the correct layer active in the editor, right-click on the scene. At that point I only have "Add entity using 'namepath\entity' " but not "as Static Mesh".

I can right-click on it after having added it and "convert it to a static mesh", so I see the collision meshes appear.

Then, I try to check its properties, but find almost nothing, and that attribute you're citing is not there.

o_O

Last edited:
And it worked. Thanks a lot! :D
This is very interesting. There's even the wooden sound when walking on it. It doesn't work just fine, but perfectly.

How's that possible? Why does the entity do such a mess? What's the difference?

In these days I'm learning about adding meshes and buildings: should I use entities or meshes?
Some entities work fine, others don't. Should I first try with entity templates and resort to meshes only in case of trouble, or there's a better method?
For instance, some house interiors don't work properly, and Geralt just walks on the grass, with his ankles intersecting the floor's mesh which is incorporeal.

I would like to build a small village to learn about all this (using the Flotsam style): in which folder should I take the resources from?

Thanks again for the help! :)

Someone in RED haven't cleaned unused entity object which weren't working.

About meshes versus entities. Meshes are just models. Entites are prefabricates or packages made from various objects including meshes. For example you can create house entity made from wall models, roof models, furniture with action points and working doors. Then you can place it on your level as one object instead of putting every piece on the level. It helps being organized. Also if you would like to have lets say ten same houses it's even more convenient. If you modify entity, then all instances on levels (including original game if they are used there) will be updated.

Top Bottom