Do Witchers have human emotions ?

+
fuck me!
sorry... a long and informative post just went to heaven due to me incidentally closing a tab. [I wanna cry....]

Lets try a shorter version. [I'm crying]

Witchers have emotions like any other would. They wear a mask of a cold and indifferent killing machine, its easier that way. They are taught and are able to "switch off" emotions. Just like Geralt did at times.
Imagine a young boy witcher upbringing. A Harsh and Deadly lulling them to sleep, Killer taking them to playground every morning. No place for mommy's hugs and kisses. Few survive. Now imagine any human being growing up like that. Wouldnt they be a little... different?

The novels picture it pretty well. Humans fear and hate them, they treat them like a plague bearers. They dehumanize witchers because the thought of them being the same is revolting. Its more of a "you want me to be a cold, inhuman monstrous killer? Fine, I'll play the role". E
Each time someones knows a little more about a witcher, they state that witchers are the same as them. Except that they are one hell of a master at swords. Kaer Morhen - when tutoring Ciri all of them acted like they cared, like fathers/brothers... [I'm sobbing now]

But what it means to be a witcher really? Is it a profession wise definition, the mutatoins? Or state of mind and lack of humanity is what determines a witcher? Or both?

The Code. It deesn't exist. It was made up to serve a purpose.

Actually witchers don't have emotions. Geralt is the only one with them, it is explained, speculated on in the books. His mutation kinda failed, didn't go as usual with other witchers (why it failed is another story). That's also the reason why his hair is white, why he's so sexually active, why he questions morality of some people, why to him some people are monsters, and some monsters are human. I don't remember exacly how much of it is explained in the books or in which of them, but it's there somewhere.

Considering how much horror a Witcher faces on the job, a stoic emotionless facade may be totally warranted, because what we judge as emotionally shocking is kind of small beer to them.

Also, isn't in a new book in a school of a cat they have maniac witchers who thrive of such things?

To be honest, it's just one sentence, where a wizard says to Geralt "Do I need to remind you of the psychopaths with medallions of a cat, who reveled in murder?". Before this sentence he mentions [briefly, doesn't go into details] Witchers who would take part in burglaries and the others who would employ themselves as hired killers. He does it to prove a point, that even Witchers have... well, black sheep among them.

fuck me!
sorry... a long and informative post just went to heaven due to me incidentally closing a tab. [I wanna cry....]

Lets try a shorter version. [I'm crying]

Witchers have emotions like any other would. They wear a mask of a cold and indifferent killing machine, its easier that way. They are taught and are able to "switch off" emotions. Just like Geralt did at times.
Imagine a young boy witcher upbringing. A Harsh and Deadly lulling them to sleep, Killer taking them to playground every morning. No place for mommy's hugs and kisses. Few survive. Now imagine any human being growing up like that. Wouldnt they be a little... different?

The novels picture it pretty well. Humans fear and hate them, they treat them like a plague bearers. They dehumanize witchers because the thought of them being the same is revolting. Its more of a "you want me to be a cold, inhuman monstrous killer? Fine, I'll play the role". E
Each time someones knows a little more about a witcher, they state that witchers are the same as them. Except that they are one hell of a master at swords. Kaer Morhen - when tutoring Ciri all of them acted like they cared, like fathers/brothers... [I'm sobbing now]

But what it means to be a witcher really? Is it a profession wise definition, the mutatoins? Or state of mind and lack of humanity is what determines a witcher? Or both?

The Code. It deesn't exist. It was made up to serve a purpose.

Actually witchers don't have emotions. Geralt is the only one with them, it is explained, speculated on in the books. His mutation kinda failed, didn't go as usual with other witchers (why it failed is another story). That's also the reason why his hair is white, why he's so sexually active, why he questions morality of some people, why to him some people are monsters, and some monsters are human. I don't remember exacly how much of it is explained in the books or in which of them, but it's there somewhere.

I've suspected that the truth is either one of these before but now, I have no idea :p

So many opinions. I have no idea what to believe. But maybe that was Sapkowskis intention? Perhaps he wanted people to discuss and ponder about this and many other topics that were mentioned or established in the books. I guess there is no truth, only how we view things from our perspective.

Pretty cool if that was his intent :)

I don't think that was Sapkowski's intent Foggy. At least not entirely, the truth is definitely there. But there are also lies, Geralt lies often about himself and Witchers and people make up stories that Geralt purpousfuly doesn't negate.

The newest book, Season of storms has a quote that goes something like this:
That was hectic - Sighed Addario Bach, as soon as doors shut behind the three - Dammit, my hands are still shaky, yours aren't?
No - Geralt smiled at his memories - in that regard i'm a little... handicaped.

My take is that Geralt's aptitude to feel emotions is greater than most Witchers. But still smaller than most Humans. A middle ground in a way. And i always assumed that this was a result of the modified mutation process he underwent.

This is shit from TV-series. Let's don't believe it.

Last chapters:
Brehen of Ielllo. Witcher from Cat School.

Yup, I know that now. It was actually pretty funny, because when I wrote this I was about 40 pages from finishing the book, and the next day when I did it reminded me of this thread and my answer.

But the other witchers do have atleast some emotions. Coen and the other witchers cared and had compassion for Ciri. Lambert was shown to be annoyance towards triss yet also care for her. they have a kinship for one another. so we do know that all witchers are not entirely emotionless.

@wisielec; Theres an autosave feature in the editing box that saves the contents often and keeps them - through logouts, but presumably until you click post reply - specific to every thread.

After your stumble earlier, if you'd clicked on the little button that appears bottom left of editing area "restore previous session", you'd have been saved some tears :p

Top Bottom