Thief 4

+
I've played it. It's a far cry from what we saw in the originals or what we see in The Dark Mod but it's far from being as bad as some of you say. The basic Thief experience and atmosphere are there but that's what the problem is, it's basic. You can tell that the devs tried really hard to make a dirty and seedy world...but they tried too hard and it shows. On a more positive note, the PC port is extremely well done complete with high-resolution textures and a world jam-packed with detail.

The Dark Mod offers a more complete modern Thief experience, download it and give The Tears of Saint Lucia a go and keep an eye on the official Dark Mod campaign called Crucible of Omens. Another notable map is Flakebridge Monastery.

This game is by no means a masterpiece but at least Deus Ex recieved a truly worthy sequel.

but they tried too hard and it shows

what does this mean? if they put in less effort, it'd be better?

or maybe they could have taken their gargantuan double digit million dollar budget and did something with it instead of free coffee, crunch overtime pay and team building at disney land.

the formula for a good game was handed to them and they still failed. why excuse this? they're just another no good dev. bottom line.

Guys, those of you who is playing this game - does it have any collectible, especially books? In Dishonored we had shrines, runes, bone charms, notes, audio-graphs, and books. Does it have something like a codex, where all books, notes, and such, are stored, similar to Dishonored? If it does how is it? Anything about events in the previous three games, and info about the world?

I'm sorry to add more negativity to this thread, but it looks like Eidos Montreal and Square Enix are getting a bit greedy.
View attachment 2106

If that doesn't annoy you, I don't know what will.

Attachments

• Thief DLC.jpg
    Thief DLC.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 47
Guys, those of you who is playing this game - does it have any collectible, especially books? In Dishonored we had shrines, runes, bone charms, notes, audio-graphs, and books. Does it have something like a codex, where all books, notes, and such, are stored, similar to Dishonored? If it does how is it? Anything about events in the previous three games, and info about the world?

Yes, some of the loot you collect is added to Garret's collection.

All right, I caved in and bought Thief 4. Now I am playing it to kill time before DS2 comes out next week. What can I say... A poor man's version of Dishonored. A VERY poor man's. Besides a lot of silliness that comes out of a disconnect between gameplay and a story ("It is not how much you steal, it is what you steal"... And then we open every damn drawer and pick every damp letter-opener :) "This claw will get you killed"... And than we use the damn claw the whole damn game. :) ) , supernatural part of a story does not make any damn sense, and an ordinary part is one big cliche. In Dishonored the whole plot of a game had nothing to do with supernatural, but supernatural played a very big role in the world. In Thief 4 it is neither here, nor there. Gameplay is impoverished, with context-sensitive actions and even jumps. Seemingly several ways to reach an objective, but it is mostly an illusion.
Still it is OK game, good enough to finish once. But I sort of got it why they did not present this game under a new label - it is so nothing special that the major selling point is probably that it is Thief game. But I really-really hope that that Dishonored 2 leaked screen is real, and not another hoax. I am ready to sic my rat swarm onto anybody for a new Dishonored game. Let the Outsider walk among us once again!

I'm so annoyed, terrible port on PC which is unlikely of SE given their past excellent games (DX HR, Sleeping Dogs)
It's so unplayable for me I can't even comment how the game actually is at this moment

How is it a poor PC port? Runs just fine for me and it has a bunch of graphical options including FoV slider to 110.

Granted it's an Unreal Engine 3 game...an engine which is simply outdated now.

I'm so annoyed, terrible port on PC which is unlikely of SE given their past excellent games (DX HR, Sleeping Dogs)
It's so unplayable for me I can't even comment how the game actually is at this moment

It must be something on your own end. The game is rocksolid here.

How is it a poor PC port? Runs just fine for me and it has a bunch of graphical options including FoV slider to 110.

Yeah, works fine for me no matter what graphical craziness I set it to.

From what I've read some people are experiencing severe stuttering, that aside I'll agree that the port is very well done. Big props to Nixxes.

Actually, it looks like optimization, or whatever it is called, is fantastic. A friend of mine plays the game on 3 year old laptop, and it runs perfectly. He had to play with graphic options for a while, but resulting picture is great, and the game does not stater at all. So even people with older PCs should be pleased.

Thief patch that adds Mantle and TrueAudio support coming March 18th
AMD has revealed that a patch will be available on March 18 for Eidos Montreal's Thief, adding support for both TrueAudio and Mantle. We can't reveal what exact performance gains you'll get from running Thief in Mantle API mode just yet, but those with CPU-bound systems will likely see the biggest increases due to the inherent way Mantle functions.

TrueAudio will be utilized in Thief to create an effect called "convolution reverb", which simulates the echoes you'd experience in a similar real-life location. The effect is achieved by recording an impulse response of a real location, which is then used by the game as an echo characteristic to manipulate the audio into sounding realistic. For example, cathedrals in Thief should sound more like real cathedrals with TrueAudio enabled.

Gamers will have the option of either running the effect on their CPUs, which will increase CPU utilization and potentially decrease the game's performance, or offload it to the TrueAudio DSP found on some Radeon graphics cards. Most of AMD's Radeon Rx 200 series cards don't have the dedicated DSP, except for the R9 290X, R9 290 and R7 260X.

Thief launched on February 25 to mixed reviews, although it will soon be one of two titles that support Mantle, the other being EA DICE's Battlefield 4. A few other developers have pledged their support for Mantle, but some big names are still notably missing. Expect more information on Mantle at the Game Developer's Conference that begins next week.
source from http://www.techspot.com/news/56007-...-and-trueaudio-support-coming-march-18th.html

Thief should have been an AA game. When you make an AAA game you have to cater to the console crowd in order to stay afloat which means sacrificing a lot of the values the original game stood for. An AA game can still look good, even if less detailed but since you don't have to keep so many tastes in mind you can make the game closer to the original.

The game is a mess...and I don't usually say this about games. You can't even jump in it for christ's sake and the plot and atmosphere remind me of bad fanfic.

That said, the game looks amazing, if a bit overdetailed AND had moments when if truly felt like a Thief game like that Jeweler's shop. That part really was brilliant. There was this part with a safe and a sleeping guard. You had to creep slowly and pick the lock. Now if you failed at any stage of the lockpicking, the guard woke up. There was also a room right next to this with a guard patrolling and with lamps that couldn't be extinguished. This was the part with the most loot in the level. To do it quietly, you had to move from shadow to shadow and steal as fast as possible, before the guard got to you. Why wasn't the game more like this?!!!! Judging just by this short part of the game, I could tell that the devs were conflicted when making the game. I don't think it was the lack of talent, rather the realities of AAA game development. Had the budget of the game been something closer to an AA game, it would have been superior in all ways except graphics but since even OK graphics are realistic enough for today's games, as compared to say ok graphics from 2000-2003, it would not have been such a big deal. Today, an interesting art design is more important for me, graphics have become good enough. If games stopped looking better than TW3, DA:I or Battlefield 4, I wouldn't care.

So why is overdetailing bad? Well it's something I noticed while playing Thief 4 and I think it is a cause for linearity in modern First Person games.

In old games like Doom and Thief, the rooms were just simple, geometrical shapes with limited detail. This is an advantage because it is very easy to discern the important bits of a room, like a switch or a quest item. In Thief 4, the levels are SO detailed that it's hard to figure what's usable an what's not. I even got lost a few times, not because the levels were complex (they're really not) but because of all the detail. This is why the climbable surfaces had that "gamey" white paint on them. The developers knew that it would be hard to discern what is climbable and what is not. This is also why many games have guidance systems like markers or big flashy arrows.

NOW, I am what some would call a graphics whore so visuals help a lot with immersion for me but in a game like Thief, where individual objects have to be in sight, the visuals HAVE to be balanced in a way that they are both beautiful AND functional. The visuals should never get in the way of a First Person game with emphasis on exploration and this is why a game with lower production values would actually benefit the franchise more.

Again, the best modern Thief experience you can hope for today is The Dark Mod. If you pay attention, you can tell that the visuals were crafted in such a way that they don't get in the way of your game. They are both beautiful and functional. No matter how detailed a map was, like Tears of St. Lucia, I never got lost because of I couldn't discern what could be picked up, what could be climbed or didn't know which part of the level was accessible or not, I got lost because of how sprawling the level was.

Last edited:
Top Bottom