GOG is incorporating regional pricing for 3 upcoming titles.

+

GOG is incorporating regional pricing for 3 upcoming titles.

• No, not under any circumstance

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Yes, if it means bringing major publishers on board

Votes: 29 64.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sigh. Thanks for expressing your opinion on something you obviously don't use, need or care about.
As the DRM-free standard bearers CDPR and GOG.com are, they *should* be more interested in a DRM-free operating system. Ironically, they aren't.

I know this whole thing might seem foreign to you, but maybe the world is a bit larger than you think.

A forum is a place to express opinions. About things we care about and why we don't care about other things. There is a certain...contrariness to criticizing people for offering their opinion on a forum, don't you think?

I value Linux as an alternative operating system, but that does not mean it needs to be catered to by all vendors for all markets. GOG hasn't pretended otherwise and they aren't required to. Linux simply isn't a significant market segment for CDPR, any more than the aforementioned Zune. Linux and Unix are for servers, that's their market.

By the numbers, it would be smarter to focus on GOG for Android, frankly. Well before Linux.

I wouldn't object to your use of Linux, of course, but I would defend my preference for GOG, especially on a related forum, over your stated non-GOG preference on that same forum.

A forum is a place to express opinions. About things we care about and why we don't care about other things. There is a certain...contrariness to criticizing people for offering their opinion on a forum, don't you think?

Yes, forums are for opinions, but if/when you comment on something you evidently don't know anything about then there's no point in posting an uninformed comment that pretty much leads to FUD.

I value Linux as an alternative operating system, but that does not mean it needs to be catered to by all vendors for all markets. GOG hasn't pretended otherwise and they aren't required to. Linux simply isn't a significant market segment for CDPR, any more than the aforementioned Zune. Linux and Unix are for servers, that's their market.

That's like me saying Mac OS X is for people tired of Windows who don't know better, or saying Windows is for corporate suits. You're spreading rumours. GNU/Linux is not only a perfectly viable system for everyday use, but it's the workhorse of many scientific workstations equipped with top of the line hardware.

By the numbers, it would be smarter to focus on GOG for Android, frankly. Well before Linux.

Except CDPR and GOG.com are committed to DRM-freedom, which GNU/Linux can offer. And I suppose SteamOS is also going to be insignificant in "the market".

I wouldn't object to your use of Linux, of course, but I would defend my preference for GOG, especially on a related forum, over your stated non-GOG preference on that same forum.

As I said, it's not that I have a non-GOG preference. I am comparing several services and what they have to offer.

This thread is about GOG incorporating regional pricing. Does this whole Linux/Windows/Mac/etc etc thing has to pop up in every thread possible?

Please stay on topic. There are many other threads dedicated to Linux discussion.

This thread is about GOG incorporating regional pricing. Does this whole Linux/Windows/Mac/etc etc thing has to pop up in every thread possible?

Please stay on topic. There are many other threads dedicated to Linux discussion.

Well, if the Linux thing pops up everywhere maybe it's because it's somewhat relevant :). In this case, because it is one element that makes others different from GOG like (lack of) regional pricing made GOG different. It's all about what competing services have to offer.

But you're right. I'll stop right here.

Well, if the Linux thing pops up everywhere maybe it's because it's somewhat relevant :).

How a hell is it relevant to our discussion? It started with me telling that unhappy people can vote with their money, and go to some other DRM-free and completely no region-pricing outlet, but wait... there ain't none! You replied that I was wrong, and we have Humble and Desura, or whatever a hell it is called. You reply makes any sense only if you believe that these outlets are also DRM-free and region-pricing free, which they are not. I was not talking about any Linux/Mac/Android or whatever thing at all. Sure, these outlets may sell games for other platforms, but it was not what we were talking about. I can advise everyone to ditch their comps and buy android games on Google Play, and it would be as relevant as Linux discussion.

Linux gamers probably not with GOG anyway, so when they make noise concerning GOG policies it is pretty much for a sake of making noise. As I see it, for regular Windows PC gamers GOG is still the best. Where it will go from here, and how things will change in 2014 remains to be seen, but even with a changing market I am cautiously optimistic.

I think we should take gregski's advice and leave advocacy for or against gaming on Linux and assumptions about GOG users and Linux users out of this discussion. Whether a distributor carries titles for Linux makes a difference to some people when they consider alternatives to GOG, but disputing the importance of that difference gets into advocacy that requires members to gainsay each other's preferences and is also outside the scope of this thread.

Linux is a tiny, tiny percentage of the market

Linux is not a tiny percentage when it comes to sales of multiplatform games. See HB sales numbers. We aren't talking about some abstract "market", we are talking about gaming market in particular. All stores which sell Linux titles now demonstrate that Linux users provide a significant percentage of their sales.

How a hell is it relevant to our discussion?

Volsung already explained how. Fair pricing was one of the differentiating features of GOG. With that feature gone, GOG has less reasons to claim any uniqueness, if anything it's seriously behind others like Humble Store because they don't offer Linux games. The only thing which differentiates them now is their strict DRM-free offering which is undermined by their refusal to support Linux - DRM-free supporters use Linux more often than inherently DRM afflicted operating systems.

All of this isn't really off-topic, but if you think GOG + Linux is a separate subject, there is a generic GOG thread: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/16530-Curse-You-GOG!

Last edited:
Nope. Pretty sure, it's just because we have a small number of zealots actively forcing Linux into many, many threads. :huh:

OK, look. We were asked to stop this discussion but I'd like to clarify my position since I don't get called a zealot everyday (and apparently it is now OK in this forum to call people names).

Please go to the Linux thread for my reply. I will try not to contaminate this GOG thread with irrelevant Linux discussions.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...x-news-and-developments?p=1255314#post1255314

Last edited:
Don't care about pricing as long as it's reasonable. I do care about drm free though so they better stop with breaking their promises and ideals or this ends with them loosing lots of customers.

Also cocacola price in usa is different than in europe and we don't see people storming cocacola headquarters or whining on cocacola forums how evil they are from "literally ruining people with their unfair prices"-actual quote.

Last edited:
Also cocacola price in usa is different than in europe and we don't see people storming cocacola headquarters or whining on cocacola forums how evil they are from "literally ruining people with their unfair prices"-actual quote.

It's a totally different scenario - coca cola manufacture in the countries where they sell, so the costs are completely different. That justification doesn't work for digital products.

It's a totally different scenario - coca cola manufacture in the countries where they sell, so the costs are completely different. That justification doesn't work for digital products.

Gog sells games all over the world in countries with completely different markets and completely different economies. Differences in prices in countries with different economies are reasonable. At the end of the day both cocacola and gog want to maximize their profits, if people in country x can't afford games for the price in country y then it is reasonable to set price in country x lower than in country y.

Last edited:
A lot of people cry out how they're going back to steam. Well do what you like. If they rather want to have DRM, less bonus content and no compensation for regional prices, it's their choice. In my opinion they were only there for one price one world only. Though GOG promised to have fair regional pricing for all their games already in the catalogue. Also I guess people want to be pampered with achievements and find that downloading a file and running it is so much harder and complicated in comparison to steam. I never liked those achievements. It's just one of those tricks to make people think they achieved something worthwhile.

When I got all my stats to 255 in Final Fantasy 10 and beat all the side bosses, did I get an achievement message? No. I think one should judge for themselves what they find to be an 'achievement' in the game. Only thing I can give them credit for is the easy updating system on Steam, well that's what I have been told. At least GOG's looking into that.

UK here and being on the "bad" end of the regional pricing scheme let me just tell you GOG...
:mean:

I don't care it's only 20p. :comeatmebro:

We're not perfect, we're exploring new frontiers, and we make mistakes. We thought DRM-Free was so important that you'd prefer we bring you more DRM-Free games and Fair Price was less critical and that it could be sacrificed in some cases. The last two week's worth of comments in our forums (nearly 10k!), show that's not the case. We didn’t listen and we let you down. We shouldn't sacrifice one of our core values in an attempt to advance another. We feel bad about that, and we're sorry. Us being sorry is not of much use to you, so let’s talk about how we will fix it.

GOG... you are a true enigma to me. But for all that it's worth, it's good see them care about their community this much.

Top Bottom