Risen 3

+
@new&improved_vivaxardas Piranha Bytes was always a small developer. They have, what, 20 people working for them permanently and the rest working on contracts, when they need them ? The Gothic games were a passion project for them and Gothic 3 was a prime example of "too much, not enough time" and being generally screwed by the publisher. That's why, I don't think it's fair comparing them to some random Austrian company that Jowood "emplyed" to squeeze out Arcania: Gothic 4.

I would gladly play another Gothic made by PB [if they get the rights back that is] much more than any other Risen.

Last edited:
@Luxorek The problem is not how big or small they are but that too many people significant to Gothic series success left the company during recent years. Now it is practically a new team under the old name, but names do not make games. People do. Rumor has it that even Michael Hoge does not work on Risen 3. I don't know what exactly going on with the team, and I can agree that there may be a lot of new talents there, but it is no different than any other new developer. For me it won't be any "return to their roots" because for these new people there is not roots to return to, but yet another experiment with another sequel/remake, and given Risen/Risen 2 track record, I would be mad to be optimistic of the outcome.

Well, CDPR sure make great story-driven games, and as long as they keep doing it, I don't care how large or small, generic or unique their open world is. I don't see any reason to doubt TW3 story will be as good as TW2. PB have a different approach from the start, and even though Gothic 1 story was very well done, in Gothic 2 it was simply good, but in later games - only adequate enough.

PB making a new Gothic? With this team they have now? Well, it is practically the same as to sell Gothic franchise to some other dev. We already experimented with this idea - behold, Arcania in all its Gothic glory! I would say - let Gothic just R.I.P. and don't resurrect it for another round of earthly suffering, abuse and humiliation.

Arcania was made by Spellbound.

Yes, and PB now is a different team with the old name. Reboots are not usually successful. Thief 4 is the most recent endeavor, and it looks like it would do better not as a Thief game. But PB may return to Gothic after they are done with Risen, who knows.

Obviously. And he never claimed anything else. He said that there are so few left of the original PB team, that it makes no difference whether a new Gothic is developed by this random team named "Piranha Bytes" or some other developer - because neither has anything in common with original PB.

But I'd disagree with that notion. Skimming through the PB member and past member in the World of Risen forums (which is incomplete because every dev is free to join the list or not) suggests that at least 9 people who worked on the original Gothic are still on the team - among which are Pangratz, Hoge and Rüve who I'd say are the faces of PB. On the other hand I could find only 3 long-time members who left and one of them is the composer.
Have any more detailed information on that, @new&improved_vivaxardas;?How many people worked on the original Gothic? Who left?

Things aren't as bad for PB, I think, and the more severe issue is keeping up with technological development with such a small team. And the fact that PB have a very definite approach to their games and new games feel like the same old - arguably 13 years old game design approaches just tend to feel bad these days.

Hah, Bjorn Pangratz was the lead on Risen 2 who, as I remember, everyone blamed for this disaster. His wife was a writer on Risen 2. Michael Hoge supposedly was against new conception for Risen 2 but Bjorn won over and became a lead developer. Now, as rumor has it, Hoge does not even work on Risen 3 at all.
Ruve is PB's business manager and in-house lawyer. He deals with financial and legal stuff, but not with any creative process.

Pankratz is pretty much the man who people believe destroys PB, and the one who should go. But I was not of WOR or WOG forums for a long time. Though I doubt too many people are optimistic about Risen 3. Gothic? Well, you know, with a completely new series, in new settings, PB can still salvage something. With Gothic, especially given that not too many players may be taken by an old school concept, if it is successful, and veterans will trash PB as hard as they trashed Spellbound, if it fails, a remake is a pretty much "Russian roulette". Hoge might be willing to do it, but Pankratz? No.

Risen 3 - Gameplay Video

I wanted to share a gameplay video of Risen 3 with you guys, it has just gone live.
It's a preview version which has been handed to a German Let's Player and is available below:

I haven't watched it myself yet, so I have no clue if its any good or reason to jump off a cliff.

Enjoy, my friends !

I stumbled upon the Gothic series as well as Risen by accident. Difference was that when I first saw Risen I had never heard of it before, but as soon as I noticed who had developed it, having played Gothic games many times, I bought it then and there.

I love the Gothic games, Gothic 2 being my favourite and 3, well...it was okay I guess. What was the first thing you killed in Gothic 3? An orc. Compare that with the other two games, and there's the difference between them. Gothic 1 and 2 made you think very carefully which monsters you fought if not strong enough. If you weren't ready you weren't ready, and still the thrill of exploring the world sucked you in and dared you to approach those dangerous areas anyway.

That feeling and atmosphere was also in Risen 1 and, I guess, in Risen 2 though 2 was so much easier. Risen 1 is my favourite. The gameplay, the story, the music...I love it! And I've yet seen more beautiful sunsets in a game. I love that it's also about skill.

On my second playthrough of Risen I leveled quite a lot before even placing a skillpoint. I defeated Brogar and others much stronger than me with a stick. They took quite a few strikes before going down, always with the risk of him landing one blow and ending the fight. How come? Because of skill, and this is what old Gothic games and Risen is about. You seem overwhelmed at the start, but be patient and hang in there and you pull through, and have fun while at it. In Risen it was about learning how to dodge correctly and avoid being flanked. I'm not bragging, it took some trial and error I tell you(those damn wolves for example got on my nerves), but the game rewarded me for learning how it worked. As a gamer you just got to love that.

These games allow you to learn and master them. If you are patient enough to learn that is. Apparently many gamers aren't that patient or...interested to be honest, which always makes me wonder why they even buy the games, if only to complain when they can't play them, and then demand a dumbing down.

I'd recommend those people to find themselves a railshooter, a game you can't get lost in. Gothic and Risen don't cater to those players, and they refuse to dumb their games down. Few devs dare to go their own way today, as they are afraid of lack of sales, which is understandable.

Knowing that I enjoyed Gothic and Risen games, hearing about Risen 3 made me smile.

I liked the pirate theme of Risen 2, but I'm actually completely okay with Risen 3 going back to Risen 1 fantasy themes, with medieval armour and magic.

Whatever they do however, it's a day one purchase for me.

The hell is wrong with the guy doing the preview?

Right? :ermm: I don't know, maybe he thinks he's a pirate? I just couldn't watch more than a minute with that racket going on. Just the thing that he's reading all the company names out loud assuming that, what, we can't read for ourselves? And in that voice! And then things got too fast for my German language skills to keep up. Das ist nicht gut, und ich kann nicht so schneller sprachen verstehen. My German is a bit rusty, but still.

I will watch it though....some other time...when I have the energy. And I'll mute the bastard. So there. Moahahaha back at ya, crazy german pirate presenter! Hope the vid has some nice gameplay footage..and I'll make my own narration of it. Haha! :dry:

Last edited:
Well I hope its going to be that good old chilling gothic atmosphere. These games were never "impressive" in that way.

Piranha Bytes is not what they used to be, so I wouldn't bet on Risen 3 being particularly impressive in any way (but I hope I'm wrong).

Weather you like him or not, he is the most popular let's player in Germany. Many people actually watch his videos for his voice. Haven't watched the video yet, so I couldn't comment on "What is wrong with him?" Nice to see though the common "No offence" and then an insult, in this case referreng to people from one country being somehow "wrong".

I really ment no offence. It would help us if we understood what he is actually saying xD.

Ok, then no worries. ;) By the way, I thought the video was boring. ^^

It is, especially if you don't understand his jokes - which are pretty clever and entertaining actually.
But I was a bit disappointed that he remained in town for the entire episode...

The second part has just been released - lots of combat and exploration.
Here you go, my friends:

The way I see it, it's going to be another Risen 1.
That is fine with me, because I liked it far more than the sequel.

At least they seem to have fixed the crappy skill system of Risen 2.

Last edited:
So, I watched the videos, and I say they have taken a lot from Risen 2 to make Risen 3. Sure, the fantasy theme is back, but the game menus, inventory and interface is Risen 2. But that's okay. Thanks for the videos @EmperorZorn !

Last edited:
Top Bottom