Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the same.

"Dandelion" is a good translation and I dare say stroke of genius ! It is after all a yellow flower as well, but more importantly just with the way it sounds, it paints in our mind this picture of a flamboyant person.
Yeah...mostly because it sounds like DANDY

I don't know why they slightly changed Vizima/Wyzima, maybe it's to make pronunciation more alike?

For the ignorant among you, like me :ice:

We enjoy eating lovely gi-rows while sailing down the Thayme's river in our nucular powered boat.

Last edited:
For the ignorant among you, like me :ice:

We enjoy eating lovely gi-rows while sailing down the Thayme's river in our nucular powered boat.

Don't get it. Looks tasty though. Would eat as a main dish before the cakes a few pages back.

You know? right now I'm missing TW3!!!! When? When shall he ride from the dawn to our screen? Mater Melitele!

Aye! I've been tagging along with the white haired one in the meantime. To pass the time we played some dice poker. After 2 years I finally rolled five of a kind in some seedy inn in Flotsam. I think everyone in that filthy town--no the whole world!--cheats at dice.

Last edited:
I guess my mind has been contaminated by children programming, because when you say Buttercup this is who I think of. Good times, good times.
Jaskier is a Polish name of genus of flowers. Besides the books, I never really heard the name used in any other way. I believe Sapkowski chose that name, because the first thing that comes to the mind of Polish reader is the adjective "Jaskrawy", which in Polish means "bright" - not in terms of intelligence though, but flashiness. Jaskier is after all a yellow coloured flower, which stands out from the surrounding grass and attracts our attention immediately. "Dandelion" is a good translation and I dare say stroke of genius ! It is after all a yellow flower as well, but more importantly just with the way it sounds, it paints in our mind this picture of a flamboyant person.

This is jaskier, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesser_celandine (or lesser celandine, or fig buttercup, or spring messenger). It's one of the first flowers of spring, and it looks like a tiny sun. Because of that, many writers have used it in literature.
Two better photos: http://oakspirits.blogspot.gr/2014/02/ranunculus-ficaria-l-l.html

I was a little excited, because i was reading about that flower just yesterday, and today i saw you guys were talking about it and it's the translation of jaskier. Sorry i posted, my mistake. I thought the "welcome" part of the name of the tavern was sincere.

Luxorek, i didn't linked the photos for you personally. I 'm glad that you know how the flower looks like.

Last edited:
I was a little excited, because i was reading about that flower just yesterday, and today i saw you guys were talking about it and it's the translation of jaskier. Sorry i posted, my mistake. I thought the "welcome" part of the name of the tavern was sincere.

Luxorek, i didn't linked the photos for you personally. I 'm glad that you know how the flower looks like.

Ah, I'm sure Luxorek didn't mean anything bad with his comment. I assume this is one of those situations where you need to hear the person's tone, otherwise a message may seem a bit mean. Wouldn't worry about it, cassandra.

Oh, ok. My apologies for sounding hostile then. I assumed that you meant that for me, since you quoted my post and all - seemed a little like mockery. Glad it wasn't.

And here I was expecting a virtual bar fight... Come on, get virtually drunk and let the flower knowledge stand off begin!

Edit: Guess I'll start :p

what plant with mind altering properties is used in the production of fisstech?

Last edited:
Naah, wouldn't want to anger the all-powerful mods. How about we all post funny gifs of random stuff to make ourselves feel better about this whole misunderstanding.

Let me start. Let me just look at my stash of GIFs...

This is how pencils are made people.

Just roll with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom