The General Videogame Thread

+
@.Volsung.: Write some review after playing it for a while
I'll probably buy it at some point too.

An acute case of Cirichosis, I'd say.

......Eh..no one? Guys?

...a Ciri pun at the right time is always worth a RED point to me.

@.Volsung.

Shadowrun Returns is a good game, but it suffers from linearity.
It would be a lot better game if it encouraged exploration and more choice & consequence.

If anything about that changed in Dragonfall, I might give the DLC a shot.
So let us know how it goes.

I read about Thief 4, decided to wait for a price drop (like when it is $20 or less), and now re-playing Dishonored. I almost forgot how great this game is, and now with both Daud's DLCs it can be played as a very long game, with two protagonists. There is a lot to be said for starting a new franchise - Dishonored actually offers a lot of in-game info and activities to make its unique world come alive. And I just love this Outsider thing, one of the best approaches to supernatural in my opinion. May be Thief 4 would have been far better off as a brand-new franchise. I sure hope Piranha Bytes won't start resurrecting Gothic, but keep doing something new. At least their future games will be judged not in comparison, but by their own merit.

Finally got around to picking up BioShock Infinite and I have to say, I love it. It's a beautiful game.
I have it waiting for me (alongside BioShock 2), for when I buy my PC near the release of Witcher 3 (BioShock 1 works on my laptop - brilliant game).

On a different note - does anyone have any modern RPG to recommend with a good role-playing server? My only experience is from NwN, and while there are some pretty good RP servers there, I've lost interest after years of playing it. So is there an alternative to find? And I do mean heavily RP-focused. No public OOC chat and things of the like. Everyone's always IC. Also, please don't recommend monthly-fee MMORPGs.

I have it waiting for me (alongside BioShock 2), for when I buy my PC near the release of Witcher 3 (BioShock 1 works on my laptop - brilliant game).

On a different note - does anyone have any modern RPG to recommend with a good role-playing server? My only experience is from NwN, and while there are some pretty good RP servers there, I've lost interest after years of playing it. So is there an alternative to find? And I do mean heavily RP-focused. No public OOC chat and things of the like. Everyone's always IC. Also, please don't recommend monthly-fee MMORPGs.

I'm not very experienced when it comes to online RP, but Lord of the Rings Online imho had some nice RP on the German RP server. Of course, there are public OOC channels, but you can turn them of with a single mouse click and back when I played they were hardly used for anything but solving problems people had. There were some pretty cool groups, like a Hobbiton Music Ensemble - a group of uniformed hobbits who would roam Bree and the towns of the Shire and perform music - or a Shire Watch, people in the Watch's uniform patrolling the streets of the Shire and helping those in trouble. And the Prancing Pony was a nice place to get together and chat. The game itself also offers a variety of options and animations suitable for RP: sitting on chairs, smoking pipes, playing instruments and other animations, many different outfits instead of armors only, housing,...
But: I do not know 1) if it's up to your standards, 2) if it's as good on the English servers, 3) how things developed in the last 2-3 years, 4) how good RP is in higher levels, I never got beyond level 25 (out of 65 or so) and the areas suitable for that.

LotRO is probably the most RP-heavy game, as Aaden said, and I believe it's free now.

Guild Wars 2 has unofficial RP servers (Piken Square in EU and Tarnished Coast in NA region). No monthly fee, but you have to buy the game once. There is always some OOC in the map chat, but you can turn that off and focus on close area chat, guild, and whispers. If you're interested, you can visit their official Enjin page and ask questions: http://www.guildwars2roleplayers.com

Speaking of South Park, Here's the launch trailer.

[video=youtube;H-zs0ezaXng]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-zs0ezaXng&feature=c4-overview&list=UU0KU8F9jJqSLS11LRXvFWmg[/video]

Looks good where I'm sitting!
PS: If you want some gameplay, check Jesse Cox's channel (I know he can be annoying, but the stuff he's showing on The Stick of Truth is surprisingly entertaining).

Last edited:
Think .Volsung was spot on. Aside from more varied combat, AC only trumps Asylum Cat woman's great assets.

Now lets hurry up and finish with the Bat so we can make a proper X-Men game.

X-Men game would be interesting indeed. Knowing the owners though (isn't it Disney?), I don't expect a good outcome.

Last edited:
X-Men game would be interesting indeed. Knowing the owners though (isn't it Disney?), I don't expect a good outcome.

Yeah, it's corporate dealings. Activision got a 15-year license to make games on Marvel titles back in 1998. It ran out, and Marvel/Disney were not keen to renew it; the usual reason cited is that Activision made embarrassingly bad games on them -- and if there's one thing Disney will not stand for, it's second-rate work. Do work they don't like, or that gets bad reviews, and they will go all Queen of Hearts on your arse.

Most of the Spider-Man, all of the X-Men, and Deadpool were taken off sale. Because nobody has a license to make Marvel games now, it will be a few years before we see any more.

Last edited:
Bought "The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing" earlier today for about seven USD. Very cliché title but the blend of gothic nor and science fiction has always kind of fascinated me. It's a diablo style ARPG(@dragonbird) also supports gamepad. Couple hours in it's pretty alright a lot of wittiness that is overdone at times. No camera control that I can find. Launching takes quite awhile. Basically you have both melee swords and dual pistols. You also control some magic and with the dlc included in the pack there are two additional classes. Oh and Lady Katarina who is a ghost. She functions as a decent ally and pack mule.

New trailer for Watch_Dogs. Release date is dam, da da dam... 27th of May. Better late, than never.

I fear that the story may not be up to par. We've got revenge, some family killing villain, human-trafficking, corporate espionage... then again it was never the reason why I was interested in this game to begin with.

It looks better than in the last trailers, but still nothing compared to the ones from E3. I guess it's the price of being cross-gen video game. Shame.

EDIT: Wooops, it seems I've been ninja'd by teracore. Go to this thread to discuss the game.

Last edited:
Not quite done yet, but I've put around 8 to 10 hours into Shadowrun Returns and I'd like to write a quick comment. I will definitely write a more thorough commentary on the game AND the expansion as soon as I finish both.

I previously played but didn't complete SRR on a tablet. Main reasons discouraging me from playing: text was too small, and a checkpoint based save system. Both horrible features for a mobile device. I've been playing the newest version (with Dragonfall) and I have to say, on the desktop, it feels incredibly smooth. It is essentially the same game I played but with the ability to save anywhere and comfortably sized text. I didn't appreciate how good the writing was before, but it is.

I know people complain about "linearity" and whatnot but hey, this is more than any JRPG can offer :p In any case, I should be almost done with the original campaign and will soon start the expansion. All I'm going to say right now is: I am having a blast! I get extra fun from visiting familiar places in Seattle and Snohomish county in their cyberpunk fantasy rendition :) Also I like their 'S' logo. Looks like a dragon in a traditional Northwestern native american art style!

Last edited:
I have stopped playing Thief and right now i'm hooked to South Park:The Stick of Truth.. i'm not even a fan of the show, but i'm haveing a blast with this one.. Obsidian games are just one of my favorites games ever, and even if this isn't a hardcore RPG like many other games from them, it is still so much fun to play and the RPG system has still a certain depth to it.. it has definitely the SP humor in it, but to my suprise, most of it is really funny and intelligent (and many times it's just gross and disturbing, but i'm fine with it).. so yeah, its a great game.. higly addictive...and so far the best i have played this year

Top Bottom