Dishonored 2

+
Yeh, I played a mixture, too, but non-lethal kill options are so limiting compared to the lethal ones. I'm not sure why they didn't balance it out, would it be a problem to add or adjust some skills to be non-lethal? Pretty much all lethal skills are infinitely more fun and the game just flows better. I'm not sure if they changed anything in the DLCs, I should probably get around to playing that, too.

On my canon playthrough, I played as lethally as possible without crossing the boundary for the end-game. Lethal + Stealth is definitely the most enjoyable version.

On the lethal/non-lethal, ghost/non-ghost issue:
What I dislike in stealth games is the possibility reload my save in order to execute the most silent and "peaceful" playthrough. I'm not casual enough to prevent myself from reloading my saves countless times until I got my mission as I originally planned...
I did that with Splinter Cell, Alpha Protocol, Deus EX:HR or Dishonored, MGS, even Skyrim. This is like an illness -- because of appetite for perfection, I can hardly enjoy stealth games anymore. Those games aren't designed for action anyway. If you screw up, you're dead. I wish you could screw up and find a solution to the fact you've been seen and purchased. This is a huge issue in game design in my opinion. If you're caught, you should be able to take an hostage and negociate for example. You should also be able to bribe or threaten guards...

Overall, they really need to rethink the save system. When I was playing Dark Souls I loved how the game didn't let me reload a previous save to undone a "bad" action (i.e. accidentaly killing a NPC). Do that with a "stealth", "assassination" or "thievery" game and I'm sold.

Last edited:
Yeh, I played a mixture, too, but non-lethal kill options are so limiting compared to the lethal ones. I'm not sure why they didn't balance it out, would it be a problem to add or adjust some skills to be non-lethal? Pretty much all lethal skills are infinitely more fun and the game just flows better. I'm not sure if they changed anything in the DLCs, I should probably get around to playing that, too.

I liked this actually

It should be a lot harder to kill non lethally, but it shouldn't be less fun.

I combined both playstyles, lethal and non-lethal... kinda.

I generally play with no killing in my stealth games, because it's often more difficult that way. In the case of Dishonored, well... it's definitely more boring as we're given only choking and sleeping darts and that soon becomes monotonous. So every now and then when I would screw up and get seen I would go on on a killing spree, fight all the guards, check out the layout of the place and then finally... reload and continue silently and non-lethally.

It was carthartic in a way to do things that way.

@guipit
I agree with you, stealth/non-lethal is an interesting playstyle generally speaking, and there's a lot of room to improve on it. But Dishonored has few options to begin with, and there's the fact that you cannot do a non-lethal kill if you're detected. Why, what is stopping me from breaking someone's neck just because they saw me? For a game that makes Blink-travelling believable, that fact annoyed me. Detection should certainly carry repercussions, perhaps even heavier ones than that are already in the game - longer alert/search times, enemies going into super-detection mode, special forces being called, etc. Limiting an attack like that seems very videogame-y and mechanical.

@Cheylus
I hear you, like I said above, there's a lot of room for perfecting non-lethal options. Modern games have too few, even if you can bribe a guard, it's usually a specific NPC. Having more options would be interesting!

As for constant reloading - it can be a pain. I'm trying for a near-perfect DX:HR Director's Cut run right now and it's... taxing... in spite of being all too familiar with the entire game. But there's also the thrill of doing something awesome, so in my opinion the pay-off is worth it. I usually do my first run without thinking too much about being flawless, it is only in subsequent runs that I make a conscious effort to get specific achievements.

I really hope they manage to combine the originals wonderful art style with next gen graphics. Part of what made the game so beautiful to me were the rather low res textures and unrealistic face models.

@guipit
Detection should certainly carry repercussions, perhaps even heavier ones than that are already in the game - longer alert/search times, enemies going into super-detection mode, special forces being called, etc. Limiting an attack like that seems very videogame-y and mechanical.

It should be permanent alert! also the target will behave differently and move to another more secure location if they know you're there and yeah more troops special forces and shit, people should look at all hiding spots that they normally overlook. We shouldn't punish the player for being spotted though if he can knock them out in a second.

I'd be great if the story changed too just like how lethal and non lethal worked if you're a noob and always get spotted more bad stuff happens.

Could very well be. The spelling mistakes are kinda strange, then again it's a French studio. I guess we will have to wait till E3 to see for ourselves, since Bethesda "doesn't comment on rumours".
They're a professional studio, not some indie. Harvey Smith moved to Paris for whatever they're making.

I'm going to issue an official warning.
Are you always so dramatic? Sorry you didn't feel you got your money's worth, but I had to laugh at "no atmosphere." No game is for everyone, but this is a well constructed game from concept to polish, and actually tries to do something, as opposed to recycle last year's garbage. It was my GOTY for 2012.

The developers said they were surprised at how popular the ghost options were. This is reflected in the DLCs, where Daud got more toys for stealth and the AI was beefed up. I think they got some bad marketing advice that said audiences wouldn't play a stealth-only game.

They're a professional studio, not some indie. Harvey Smith moved to Paris for whatever they're making.

It's still a majority French studio. If this leak is true, this could very well be some fact sheet done by some French intern for internal use [it's written on it] with no one really paying attention to grammar. Would be strange, but it's still a possibility.

Anyway. I'm more and more convinced that it's in fact a fake. It's strange that they are advertising including access to Doom beta with the pre-orders, when it already coming with pre-ordering the new Wolfenstein game. I do believe Dishonored II is in works though.

The developers said they were surprised at how popular the ghost options were. This is reflected in the DLCs, where Daud got more toys for stealth and the AI was beefed up. I think they got some bad marketing advice that said audiences wouldn't play a stealth-only game.

Well, I guess their view is expressed by the Outsider, and tied up with the story. The Outsider grants powers, and expects that it will lead to self-destruction and chaos. Granny Rags, that kid from Tales from Dunwall pretty much lost it. When I played the first time on high chaos, it was obvious that it was exactly what he expected from me, and implied that I had no choice in the matter. So I decided to stick it to him and played ghost/no kills, and you need to use powers a lot to pull it off. Dialogues change, and now it was respect and admiration of sorts.

There is a very great idea behind this game, pretty much the same as in Plato's tale about the ring of Gyges from the Republic, about enslavement to men's dark desires, and, essentially, a loss of freedom and control.
See wiki version:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_of_Gyges

That's why I like this game - it is very thought-provoking, and much more sophisticated in its concept than 99% of other games on the market.

Last edited:
Intresting point of view, I allways tought that the outsider was just bored and "gave" the power for some type of curiosity to see what we would do with it. I remember he being quite surpresed if we let Daud live, so makes sense what you said =P.
Anyway, loved the first game and looking forward for the second, but not sure about the multiplayer thought.

Outsider should take tips from Hannibal Lecter in both writing and appearance. He both fucks with people and helps them if they're interesting enough. You can do a bunch of really interesting stuff if you're a god and yet we don't see a lot. He could disguise himself as various characters maybe an NPC in-game and jump scare the player in creative ways like Alma from F.E.A.R.

He's just really bland and uninteresting right now.

[video=youtube;UnsDyv-TtJg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnsDyv-TtJg[/video]

---------- Updated at 02:45 AM ----------

Both Corvo Attano and Emily Kaldwin are playable characters.

from the dishonored facebook page

Sorry to necro this thread, but does anyone know how the player's choice of either Corvo or Emily is going to affect the rest of the game? i.e. if you choose Corvo, does that mean that Emily no longer plays a significant role in the narrative, and vice-versa?

I'm really hoping that they expand on the background of the Outsider, as well as the lost civilization that came before the Empire of the Isles.

More info about Dishonored 2!!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=202641925&postcount=1

(In summary)
  • Visually the game pretty much looks like a more detailed version of the last game.
  • Before anyone asks, there's no co-op, as they weren't sure how to design that in.
  • The game runs on a modified version of idtech5 they've dubbed The Void Engine.
  • The game takes place 15 years after the original.
  • After the events of the first game, Corvo was concerned that at some point, people would attempt to assassinate Emily. As such, he spent said 15 years training her how to be a magical assassin like him whenever she wasn't too busy being Empress.
  • The game starts out with you playing as Emily during a coup d'etat and having to escape.
  • Afterwards, you choose whether to play as Emily on her quest to reclaim her throne, or as Corvo with the same objective.
  • "When fans found out they could play Dishonored 2 from the perspective of Emily Kaldwin, they were overwhelmingly positive. "The response was stunning for us," Smith says."
  • The game starts and ends in Dunwall, but the rest of the game takes place in Karnaca, which is inspired by Mediterranean European countries and is the birthplace of Corvo. Karnaca is also where the majority of the game takes place.
  • There's a bunch of stuff about their art design process in here. Let's just suffice it to say that if you liked how the first game looked and how the universe was, you should be satisfied here.
  • Anton Sokolov is back.
  • The plot setup for how missions works sounds pretty similar. There's some public figure doing bad things and you get information/help from other characters to help in your goal of taking them down.
  • The guards are a lot smarter this time and can also do things like vault around and scale objects to chase you.
  • Emily has a new set of powers. Far Reach is this giant hand grappling hook thing that pulls you around. It's like blink, except you actually physically move across spaces, so guards can notice you. Far Reach can also be used as a weapon by swinging around environment objects.
  • The game is a lot more vertical so these movement abilities are especially important.
  • You can do non-lethal aerial takedowns.
  • Missions have various options for completion and progression throughout, much like the previous game.
  • You can use guards as human shields.
  • Non-lethal/stealth options have been expanded quite a bit to be more up to par with the amount of lethal options.
  • Another one of Emily's abilities is Mesmerize, which stuns multiple guards temporarily.
  • You can puts guards into beds to avoid suspicion.
  • There's a bunch of difficulty sliders for things like how visible you are in cover.
  • There's quick saving/quick load in all versions of the game now along with checkpoints so you don't risk losing much progress at any given time.
  • Coy non-comment about mods. Please download Bethesda.net™.
  • Another of Emily's powers is Domino. You link up to four guards together, and then whatever happens to one guard, happens to the rest. For example, if you link four guards, and then lead one into a stun mine, all four are stunned.
  • This also works with Doppelganger, where you create a clone of yourself, then link it to the guards, and blow up your own clone.
  • Emily also has the Shadow Walk ability which lets her slink into shadows and squeeze into tight places.
  • Some of the missions have neutral areas where you can go around and talk to the various citizens to get a feel for the city and hints toward your mission.
  • Your base of operations is a boat.
  • Batman Detective Vision returns.
  • Both Emily and Corvo have a pistol, sword, and crossbow, but they look different. Also they have different end game upgrades to the items.
  • Corvo has the same powers as the last game, but they're upgraded and expanded.
  • Corvo is voiced by Garrett from Thief because Harvey and Raf like Thief and this game has obviously ate its lunch.
  • Corvo's Bend Time ability can now also fast forward time.
  • Corvo's possession ability can now be chained between creatures.
  • The abilities now unlock in a tree.
  • Corvo's blink can assassinate someone through a glass window starting at level 1.
  • The mansion from the trailer is an interlocking puzzle level where you pull levers and open new areas and all sorts of stuff like that.
  • The clockwork soldiers are now wood instead of porcelain, though it's nice looking wood.
  • They're trying to make the ending and morality systems less bad this time.

God damn I am *so* excited!!! It seems like you only have one choice at the beginning whether you play as Corvo or Emily and you can't change it after that, which is an interesting decision. I'll definitely be playing as Emily the first time around but it'll be interesting to see what the differences are if you play Corvo.

Either way, from the post above it seems like they've learnt a lot from Dishonored and are going to improve on it a lot.

Top Bottom