Darker nights

+
Do you think we'll have darker night in the witcher 3? For me, the nights in the witcher 2 were too bright. I hope it won't be like this screen shot where you can see the stars but its really bright: http://wpc.4d7d.edgecastcdn.net/004...alt_travels_through_war_ravaged_territory.png

As long as they bring back White Gull for those cold and dark nights. ;) I actually felt darkness in Witcher 1 and 2 was dark enough. Keep pitch black for the caverns and crypts. And separate Cat and De Vries' extract and keep them as they were in Witcher 1.

EDIT: And according to the books Geralt may change his pupils at will.

Last edited:
O.M.G
I was honestly gonna say something about this, :3 Witcher 2 was amazing but the nights are never close to the awesomeness and dangerous feel of Witcher 1 nights~ seriously even that hunting Vizimian night music, children cries, thugs, beggars and "monsters in every corner". It was so immersive, that I felt that I was Vizimian :')

In Witcher 2, I had to fix the coloring :/ I wanted it to be darker but it wasn't that good. I mean hell, even the thunders and rains of witcher 1 were SO much better (even the sound).

Cat potion enhances his allready mutated peepers for dungeons and stuff like Vergen mines, he allready sees in the normal dark doesn't he, or did I misunderstand this?
You did.My point was that CDPR never made Geralt with nocturnal vision in mind (the lighting at night in both games is evidence of that) so they wouldn't have to change a thing to make darker nights work in TW 3.

As long as they bring back White Gull for those cold and dark nights. ;) I actually felt darkness in Witcher 1 and 2 was dark enough. Keep pitch black for the caverns and crypts. And separate Cat and De Vries' extract and keep them as they were in Witcher 1.

EDIT: And according to the books Geralt may change his pupils at will.
Yes,he can,but not in the games.The easiest way to satisfy everyone in my book would be to make the nights darker and add this ability as a mechanic you can toggle on/off.

Edit:Like Vampire Sight in vanilla Skyrim but without the eye cancer causing effects.

Again, this problem was better dealt with in W1. In the crypts it was pitch dark - impossible to see anything,you had to use Cat in order to see something.
I don't like lighting in W2 at all, it's unnatural and over-saturated with red color.

Logic is simple.
When the night is bright, moon is seen, stars are shining - Gerlat can see, he doesn't need Cat or torches.
When the night sky is cloudy but there are other artificial sources of light - he still doesn't need Cat or torches.
When there is NO light source of any kind he must use Cat, but Cat must be W1 Cat, not De Vries potion.

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said.

Last edited:
Good points , I hope they are able to create a setting where the witcher senses truly come to play and u feel like u need them.... in w2 u only had cat potions for vision.. in w3 we will be able to experience the whole spectrum of witcher abilities ...im interisted how they handle the senses hearing and smell and I hope not every riddle is solved by some kinda x ray vision.. so yes the environment is hopefully no shining place where even a blind fish could track monsters ツ ... I have that image walking in a dark forest where a couple of elves or wild beasts waiting for an ambush ... but u can hear them breathing/whispering from afar .... like geralt did in some cutscene in witcher 2 ... stuff like that makes a witcher... and thats what i want to see

As long as they bring back White Gull for those cold and dark nights. ;)

Finally somebody remembers that White Gull is supposed to be ... er... recreational stuff ;)
What about giving White Gull some unique effect (on screen, like red blots when poisoned in W1)?

In Witcher 2, I had to fix the coloring :/ I wanted it to be darker but it wasn't that good. I mean hell, even the thunders and rains of witcher 1 were SO much better (even the sound).

I'm with you on that.
Original color was so bright and vivid that my eyes hurt. I made coloring as much dark and desaturated as was possible but something was not right, still. Especially lighting at night time is totally not natural.

Edit:Like Vampire Sight in vanilla Skyrim but without the eye cancer causing effects.

Khajiit's night vision is good, too.
View attachment 2027
Use F5-F9 to get rid of "eye cancer".

Attachments

• 11970-2-13310760172.jpg
    11970-2-13310760172.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 76
Finally somebody remembers that White Gull is supposed to be ... er... recreational stuff ;)
What about giving White Gull some unique effect (on screen, like red blots when poisoned in W1)?

Indeed, who needs fisstech when we have White Gullllllll to alllllleviate alllllll.....aaaahhh. :stuart: :laughing:

Remember when Ciri took a swig in Blood of Elves? Ah, those were the days.

I'm all for bringing White Gull back. As a potion base if nothing else. And those blots when poisoned in Witcher 1 were cool.

O.M.G
I was honestly gonna say something about this, :3 Witcher 2 was amazing but the nights are never close to the awesomeness and dangerous feel of Witcher 1 nights~ seriously even that hunting Vizimian night music, children cries, thugs, beggars and "monsters in every corner". It was so immersive, that I felt that I was Vizimian :')

yes W1 night was superior go back to that!

W2 night just looked like the sun turned blue

I'm with you on that.
Original color was so bright and vivid that my eyes hurt. I made coloring as much dark and desaturated as was possible but something was not right, still. Especially lighting at night time is totally not natural.

Yes, exactly my point! I was roaming the places in witcher 2 nights with ease~ except ofc the caves and tunnels. BUT nights were never close to be "dangerous" and I get the witcher world is not that "yay peaceful fantasy"~ and you said it, it's so unnatural, I don't mind mornings and daytime they were really good and amazing. The sunset and afterwards are umm okay. Even witcher 1 has better sunsets.

yes W1 night was superior go back to that!

W2 night just looked like the sun turned blue

YUPPP. I mean hell I can see the moon shining through the trees~ :[ it's beautiful but keep that to some romantic games..I want that moon and stars, in that darkness of withcer 1!

I'd rather not have a on and off switch for Geralt's night vision, sounds fucking stupid and Skyrim-ish, whoever'd turn it off? Just make the night distinct for his vision like in last two games.

Well, I feel, it is still too light. But my first thought was: How would players react, if we were going to suddenly end up in one town like this, with this art direction and graphical fidelity. XD

Well, I feel, it is still too light. But my first thought was: How would players react, if we were going to suddenly end up in one town like this, with this art direction and graphical fidelity. XD
No I meant The Witcher towns but darker - if you played WoW you will remember that Duskwood was like a whole new world compared to the other sunny territories. Here you never see the sun - it's like night all the time.

Something like this:

But DARKER like this:

I always saw it in DnD terms. Witchers have low-light vision due to sensitive eyes and the Cat potion gives you darkvision, enabling you to see in pitch black darkness.

I always saw it in DnD terms. Witchers have low-light vision due to sensitive eyes and the Cat potion gives you darkvision, enabling you to see in pitch black darkness.

Is that with the a tap of a button, or just in general? Night should be night for games play sake, and less dark when the world moon is full.
But thats just me:) I hope they have a moon cycle, that would be awesome.
And I hope it will span 7 or 8 game play days. Who knows...

How about flashlight effect? as on picture. it only brightens up the close to you objects and make everything behind them darker. Kind of scary effect if you ask me, perfect for woods.

Also we could get close to pitch black forest but with often lightning storm brightening up the environment for few second.

This thread reminded me of Weeping Angels from Dr.Who.. dunno why.

Something like this:

I think that's a good picture of what a full moon night should be like. Keep in mind the light from the house brightens the picture up a bit. It would be great if the Witcher 3 got really dark, but not like the underground dark the Witcher 2 had; you'll still have light sources from the sky and stuff. Poor lighting is one of the more disrupting things in a game (like Skyrim had pre-mods).

Top Bottom