Replay of The Witcher 1

+
Replay of The Witcher 1

A feew days ago i started TW1 again. After 3 years i was interessted how much fun i would have with it.
And i can say yeah the game makes alot of fun. I am right now in the city and hunting the salamandra.
But wow the sync isnt good and some cutscence are looking "old" very old. And there are not more then 20 character models :D/>/>
the massiv bugs are annoying ( in the enhanced Edition !!)
its good but low buget and soundtrack goes deep.
Who else plays the TW1 and how do you thought about it and what of that game should be in TW3 ?

I´m about to start a playthrough to use for TW2 and 3 (no stealing from inhabited houses, no romance and likely only 3-4 cards). Had tried the combat rebalance mod, but decided to play vanilla after 1 minute of hitting a fleder with a silver sword to no effect. Got that the modder wanted to make oils more important, but nerfing the sword for monsters to around 0 is exaggerating.

Anyway, having fun again with it, luckily I´m of the few (apparently) people who liked the combat system.

I'm replaying both games side by side, and one thing that stands out is TW1 is more polished, by far really. Even after all the patches, TW2 is a lot more glitchy and lacks most of the nice sound design and UI nuances in TW1. It also has the worst texture pop in I've ever seen in a game. It takes a conscious effort on my part to not let it drive me nuts. So while TW2 is far superior in general game design, it still feels rushed.

Sken

Forum veteran
I recommend installing the graphics mods for Witcher 1, makes quite a difference.

I paused my latest replay a couple months ago due to time constraints and other things that I wanted to play. The only bugs I run into are the occasional crash and melt fac. I don't think we'll see a whole lot of influence from one in three. The second game plays so differently from the first so the former will be more akin to it I feel. TW1 will always be close to me and I also feel that it was one of the last definitively pc games I played, strategy games withstanding.

Play it once or more every year, fucking classic and packed with little features that shows the love the devs put into it, as well as being as good lucking as some modern games.

BORCH3DOHLEN said:
A feew days ago i started TW1 again. After 3 years i was interessted how much fun i would have with it.
And i can say yeah the game makes alot of fun. I am right now in the city and hunting the salamandra.
But wow the sync isnt good and some cutscence are looking "old" very old. And there are not more then 20 character models :D/>/>/>
the massiv bugs are annoying ( in the enhanced Edition !!)
its good but low buget and soundtrack goes deep.
Who else plays the TW1 and how do you thought about it and what of that game should be in TW3 ?

It's too bad that they had so few character models, and really strange considering that the environments were high quality. I wish they would go back and replace some of the Leeuvarden and cannibal-grandpa clones with other models.

I didn't find TW1 very buggy. TW2 ran very well for me until the latest patch when the foliage pop-in and QTE problems started.

I started TW1 again a like a month ago with FCR. I guess its too hardcore for me, I upgraded swordsmanship and everything But I still did 0 damage to Leos ghost.

Red0oG said:
I started TW1 again a like a month ago with FCR. I guess its too hardcore for me, I upgraded swordsmanship and everything But I still did 0 damage to Leos ghost.

I'm having a hard time with it as well. I can barely kill one Drowner at a time, let alone a group. Not looking forward to the beast fight.

Also remember to get the vampire oil scroll from Thaler (I think) in chapter 2, or the fleders during the bank heist are unbeatable.

NotUS said:
I recommend installing the graphics mods for Witcher 1, makes quite a difference.
i did and i think you can play without to but its nice
but hell it is grfic mod or why my game crashed about 5 times of 30 hours play time
thats not much but why did it?

Currently replaying it along with witcher 2 for the save files :D
This is hilarious to me...everyone's playing through both games--as am I-- for the save files. teehee. and watch my stuff be obsolete when i port it to TW3. Gotta say tho...as much as i LOOOOVE TW2...TW is just i dunno more charismatic? more stylish? more...something--I haven't been able to put my finger on the "thing" for weeks now.

TW2 came out "F I V E YEARS " after TW1... you cant really compare the graphics of that year. Those two games are completely different in game play, style , atmosphere, graphics and many more. The only common thing between TW1 and TW2 is.......Geralt :)

I am playing TW1 again .... which must be like the ..... 20th run and still enjoying to the MAX!

Old thread but it's still on the first page so I hope this is ok...

Replaying the game, this time I have Polish voice overs with English subs and I've got to say, I want to marry Shani's voice. My Geralt even bought a ring for her. That much. This game is still not buggy for me (just crashed once or twice) the same NPC models can be a bit frustrating but with that atmosphere, that music, that plot, I can not care. And it's so much fun. Im just chilling around outskirts or crypts, hunting monsters, playing dice poker. I can do this forever.

Im just chilling around outskirts or crypts, hunting monsters, playing dice poker. I can do this forever.
It makes sense to me.

I can't wait until i start it again, it's been a long time (a year or more). I 'm about to finish a game i play and then it's time for my true love.

Finished it and it took me about 120 hours or more this time. I could "chill" more but I was getting a little impatient for The Witcher 2.

And rereading my post now, I just wanted to mention that while the same NPC models are repeatedly used, I was still impressed that those few NPC models had varying heights and weights. Maybe I played too many games with all NPCs being same height and weight but I really liked what they did in The Witcher. Just to make sure I'm not being unfair:)

I am looking for neutral path or order path save .. anyone can help (email or upload somewhere) ? that nexus site no longer works.. :(

It isn't hard, but you do need to have Spectre oil on one or other sword (+20 damage), and to use fast (for armour penetration) or strong (for more raw damage).
If your skills are marginal, then strong is necessary (10% of 5 damage seems to round to 1, but 30% of 0 damage is always zero). Group can be useful to maximise dodging and parrying if you opt for Igni as your attack method, but it will be nearly impossible to hit at this stage of the game at -6 damage.

You could also try using the torch. It inflicts minimal damage, but bypasses armour, and can affect spirits. Not terribly effective against Leo from what I recall, but better than nothing.

You can also talk your way out of having to fight him at all.

Top Bottom