The Yennefer/Triss choice in TW3

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
cuz mosttimes i wanna punch Yen in the face and sometimes i wanna punch Triss in the face too.....

Credit to ThePsychoGoat for the original pic, I didn't draw that :p

If you have only read the books translated into English, you still haven´t got to the part where Triss shows how "good" a friend she is.

And if genders were inversed, everybody would be calling Geralt a rapist for taking advantage of her amnesia.

And WTF has happened to my name?

Last edited:
Excellent post. So easy to get caught up in what we as players want, as opposed to intelligently written NPCs with their own motivations. And Yen...I just hope CDPR's writers are up to the task of introducing a volatile, sometimes bitchy past love, and making the player actually empathize with her.
I think most players are just musing to pass the time until the game comes out. Noone should be marrying themselves to one idea or the other-- on the serious-- cuuuuz TW3 will disappoint them. I know i joke about what i'm gonna do to this person or that faction, but in reality I'll make choices as they come once I'm presented with the question. Hell, I'm playing through the witcher 1 again and I still sat there for a full 5 mins mulling over if i should kill the Scoit'ael ambushing me to get those crates. And I expect CDPR to do what they do and to write Yen well and make the player feel feelings that are just as messed up as Geralt's are and can be.

Yes, I am aware and LOVE the fact he's a defined character. Hell I love everyone I've read so far...The Witcher Universe is a terrific set of stories. ...and i totally get their very adult very true to life(for some folk) relationship; Geralt and Yen. When i made this post before it was all merged and changed and what not....it was more so a poke and prod, tongue in cheek, playing around with the dysfunctionality of these two, kinda thing. That's all...cuz mosttimes i wanna punch Yen in the face and sometimes i wanna punch Triss in the face......Meh. that's all. in fact i'll be playing two save games like i've been doing and i'll enjoy them both for sure.
Well I wanted to punch Yen in the face while reading the second book, I know she had his "reasons" for doing what she did, and I come to the conclusion that she may have done something very wrong due to her indecision and emotive thoughts etc...
...and I wanted to throw a cart full of punches to Triss while reading... a certain part.

But it's good that players should have a LI choice in TW3.

Well I wanted to punch Yen in the face while reading the second book, I know she had his "reasons" for doing what she did, and I come to the conclusion that she may have done something very wrong due to her indecision and emotive thoughts etc...
...and I wanted to throw a cart full of punches to Triss while reading... a certain part.

But it's good that players should have a LI choice in TW3.
Oooooohhhhhgrrrr I think i know what "certain part" you are referring too and Grrrr yup agreed. Though i don't know polish and i hadda read it on a translated wiki page of somesort. I'm been considering learning LOL> so i can purchase the rest of the series.
And honestly it's Yen's "explanation" that made me seeeriously question my feelings for her. I was talking to her OUTLOUD in my bed while reading.

Incidentally that is not a series you wanna read if you're trying to go to sleep.

Assuming we mean that Ice Shard story, how did you feel when Geralt did the same to her later? Running away from the consequences and responsibilities of a real relationship?

Sure, he didn't have any other lover (at that time..), but his reasons weren't much better than hers and vice versa.

It's easy to empathise with and forgive the mistakes of the protagonist, while others are being criticized, if they do something wrong to the protagonist, even though they have plausible reasons to do so. Triss is another example for that.

Considering Geralt has his memories back, and having read the books, I would probably choose Yen. In the books (and even the games) it is pretty hard to place exactly what Triss wants from Geralt/how she truly feels about him. Plus she does/acts questionably and secretly a lot.

Whereas Yennefer there is almost no question she is very much in love with Geralt and devoted to him, as he to her.

As for where I personally feel about the characters, it is hard to say without seeing what CDPR does with Yennefer. IF we get the choice in Witcher 3 (I am assuming we will...the story of TW3 is apparently a personal one for Geralt, and the lead up to ending of TW2 has a lot to do with Yennefer's whereabouts...so I doubt they will ignore her), I'll likely withhold final judgement until I see how she has been handled in game, and see exactly what CDPR has planned for her.

Going into it though? My Witcher definitely has a strong desire to be reunited with Yen, and she will be my first choice unless story in TW3 does something to change my mind.

Assuming we mean that Ice Shard story, how did you feel when Geralt did the same to her later? Running away from the consequences and responsibilities of a real relationship?

Sure, he didn't have any other lover (at that time..), but his reasons weren't much better than hers and vice versa.

It's easy to empathise with and forgive the mistakes of the protagonist, while others are being criticized, if they do something wrong to the protagonist, even though they have plausible reasons to do so. Triss is another example for that.

Geralt/Yennefer was a special situation. Witchers aren't supposed to have emotions/fall in love. They are kind of sociopathic by nature (the more your memories recover the more it feels like Geralt wants to return to the Witcher's path/chase down Yen/the Wild Hunt..and considering it has been stated he has gone basically full Witcher in TW3 and there are NO factions for him to choose between as deciding factors in the main story this seems to be the intent of the writers), the fact he overcame that for Yen says something about their relationship.

An argument can be made for either woman, but it is really hard, because currently, Geralt has changed quite a lot from who he was in the books, Triss has been made more likable and more transparent as a character (at least, she is pretty open towards the end of 2 it seems)....but we haven't seen anything current/new about Yennefer as CDPR hasn't shown us what they have planned for her yet.

Also Triss may still have some trickiness up her sleeve.

I'm going to be pretty angry if CDProjekt robbed me from choosing between Yen and Triss. That's like kicking sand into my eyes and being told to deal with it.

Oooooohhhhhgrrrr I think i know what "certain part" you are referring too and Grrrr yup agreed. Though i don't know polish and i hadda read it on a translated wiki page of somesort. I'm been considering learning LOL> so i can purchase the rest of the series.
And honestly it's Yen's "explanation" that made me seeeriously question my feelings for her. I was talking to her OUTLOUD in my bed while reading.

Incidentally that is not a series you wanna read if you're trying to go to sleep.
Oh no, don't read the Wiki if you haven't read the saga first, spoilers are not so nice XD
:rofl: I did the same while reading that part...and yes definitely it's not a series you want to read before going to bed
I finished the 7th book (fan translation) before sleeping and I didn't sleep at all:

Do you mean the affair with Essi? Because I wanted to punch Geralt on the face too in that short story. :p It's not that you have to forgive his mistakes (and he did a couple, of course) because he is the protagonist. Poor girl, I think she was the right one aaand at the end Sapkowski decided to give us that "bad ending"... I admit I cried a little bit.
Or do you mean *ahem* spoilers from 7th book
The affair with Fringilla? Because I can't count it as a Geralt's mistake. He was mad at Yen, he don't want to have nothing to do with her, he believed she was a traitor who used him. So he was single, and then he regretted all the bad thoughts, when he found out the truth.
And then when Yen asked him about a certain matter....
http://i.imgur.com/4D2WVTQ.jpg

I see that all you guys who have read the books are very interested in finding Yennefer and knownng what's going on with her , where she has been all these time etc. Maybe because their relationship was very intense or passionate i don't know.., But on the other hand people like me who haven't read the books and only played the 2 games see Triss as Geralt's love and also a very cool character. I bet that we're going to make a choice in the end, given that no one dies.

i prefer to go with triss as a playthrough of both witcher games
but from the book point of view yen is best choice
my vote goes to triss as matured one

My bet? There will be dying. Oh yeah.
So far, no matter how complex the story was, there was no real loss. Should this be the end of that story, there must be some sort of victory, but not without pain, loss and sacrifice.
I'm actually pretty curious about CDPR plans on implementing Yen, they've gone quite far with Triss, which was kinda ok, Geralt's memory loss serving as a good excuse, but now that he's got his memory back...
Devs - I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

My bet? There will be dying. Oh yeah.
So far, no matter how complex the story was, there was no real loss. Should this be the end of that story, there must be some sort of victory, but not without pain, loss and sacrifice.
I'm actually pretty curious about CDPR plans on implementing Yen, they've gone quite far with Triss, which was kinda ok, Geralt's memory loss serving as a good excuse, but now that he's got his memory back...
Devs - I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
I agree, I think we'll have a lot of thing to deal with. :p

Oh, that Yeats quote, gold. Also you make me remember a movie, Equilibrium.

"Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,
A lonely impulse of delight
Drove to this tumult in the clouds;
I balanced all, brought all to mind,
The years to come seemed waste of breath,
A waste of breath the years behind
In balance with this life, this death."

A Witcher motto if ever there was one. Always reminds me of a friend of mine, gone too young. Ah, well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom