Shaky cam is killing me.

+
Shaky cam is killing me.

Even the mini-map suffers from shaky-cam. The field of view indicator in the mini-map sways back and forth like a confused compass when I move. Is there no way to remove the shaky cam from this game?! I'm beginning to get the disappointed feeling that I just blew 40$ down the drain. I so much want to play this game but I cant play it with a shaky-cam. It makes me nauseous. And it's a heavy shake too, like 5 degrees or more.

Protocakes said:
Even the mini-map suffers from shaky-cam. The field of view indicator in the mini-map sways back and forth like a confused compass when I move. Is there no way to remove the shaky cam from this game?! I'm beginning to get the disappointed feeling that I just blew 40$ down the drain. I so much want to play this game but I cant play it with a shaky-cam. It makes me nauseous. And it's a heavy shake too, like 5 degrees or more.
in OTS ( over the shoulder F3 button ) view?try the ISO modes ( F1 or F2 buttons )

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
in OTS ( over the shoulder F3 button ) view?try the ISO modes ( F1 or F2 buttons )
OTS mode has horribad shaky-cam depending on the terrain. Like around the inn in Chapter 1. But depending on the terrain there might be no shaky-cam at all. (Like in the caves or crypts in Chapter 1). But around the inn it's like watching the beginning of Saving Private Ryan...well not as bad but almost. At least Saving Private Ryan had kick-ass action. ISO modes suffers from this horrible shaky-cam effect also because while in it, the screen appears to vertically skip like its trying to mimic shaky-cam. But it comes off more like stutter, frame skipping ... "MMO Lag". And I know with 100% assurance that it's not my rig. It's the game. Why? Because the mini-map mimics the shaky-cam effect. The direction indicator in it sways back and forth probably because the code for it and my character share the same directionality. If you wanna measure how bad the shaky-cam effect is just look at the mini-map, when it starts to rotate +/- 5 degrees, then you know it's bad.I just wish there was a way to turn it off. Developers: Hollywood uses shaky-cam because its CHEAP. Cheap means more money from the box office. Most of the people I talk with hate shaky-cam. They sell it to people by claiming its a style but in reality its a cheap way to film the movie, very few directors can pull it off with style. There's no reason for it in computer games as the cost to produce the game is the same with or without it! If you're going to put it in, spend some time and code a boolean flag to disable it so the UI has an option to turn it off. ...I'm just ranting. The crux of the problem in this game is not the shaky-cam.

Protocakes said:
OTS mode has horribad shaky-cam depending on the terrain. Like around the inn in Chapter 1. But depending on the terrain there might be no shaky-cam at all. (Like in the caves or crypts in Chapter 1). But around the inn it's like watching the beginning of Saving Private Ryan...well not as bad but almost. At least Saving Private Ryan had kick-ass action. ISO modes suffers from this horrible shaky-cam effect also because while in it, the screen appears to vertically skip like its trying to mimic shaky-cam. But it comes off more like stutter, frame skipping ... "MMO Lag".
can you try to force Vsync ON with D3DOverrider from RivaTuner ?

There are two .2da files that relate to the camera: CameraEffects.2da and CameraSettings.2da. I've never used them and don't know anything about them, but you could try experimenting with them and see if the settings in them affect camera shake.If you make an Override folder in your C:\Program Files\The Witcher Enhanced Edition\Data folder, anything you put in there is used by the game instead of the normal settings. So you could experiment with the Camera.2da files, put the new ones in Override, and see what, if anything, changes the shake.I'm sorry I don't know more!I've uploaded the two 2da files so that you don't have to unbiff the entire 2da folder.

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
OTS mode has horribad shaky-cam depending on the terrain. Like around the inn in Chapter 1. But depending on the terrain there might be no shaky-cam at all. (Like in the caves or crypts in Chapter 1). But around the inn it's like watching the beginning of Saving Private Ryan...well not as bad but almost. At least Saving Private Ryan had kick-ass action. ISO modes suffers from this horrible shaky-cam effect also because while in it, the screen appears to vertically skip like its trying to mimic shaky-cam. But it comes off more like stutter, frame skipping ... "MMO Lag".
can you try to force Vsync ON with D3DOverrider from RivaTuner ?
Hmm... I'm not sure VSync is my problem. Although if I start to see skipping or lag in I'll adjust the settings so that my rig can handle the gfx.

Corylea said:
There are two .2da files that relate to the camera: CameraEffects.2da and CameraSettings.2da. I've never used them and don't know anything about them, but you could try experimenting with them and see if the settings in them affect camera shake.If you make an Override folder in your C:\Program Files\The Witcher Enhanced Edition\Data folder, anything you put in there is used by the game instead of the normal settings. So you could experiment with the Camera.2da files, put the new ones in Override, and see what, if anything, changes the shake.I'm sorry I don't know more!I've uploaded the two 2da files so that you don't have to unbiff the entire 2da folder.
Well. I downloaded these files and started messing with them. I'm not sure what either of these files do. So I reset them back to the original settings for the following tests:OTS Mode: Shaky-cam - no workaround found yet.F2 Mode: What mode is this? I press F2 and get what looks like an ISO mode. But when I press the middle mouse button and position the camera "forward" it turns into FPS mode! I hate FPS's but here's the kicker.... NO MORE SHAKY CAM! Its gone, completely. Even the mini-map does not shake. BUT..I have to keep the middle mouse button pressed and stay in "FPS" mode. However if I don't press the middle mouse button and go into the "FPS" view, the I get a weird effect that while running, my screen vertical jogs like Im driving a car through pot-holes.ISO Mode: Has no shaky-cam but exhibits the pot-hole syndrome to a very very very slight degree. Almost unnoticable but perceptible if looking for it. (I guess this mode is F1 mode: high iso)So it is possible to remove the shaky-cam from the game. I did it with F2 in a psuedo-FPS view. If it can be done with F2 + middle-mouse + position camera. But this is NOT A SOLUTION! My preference would be to use OTS without shaky-cam. I also seem to recall a mod the lets people play in FPS mode. Can a person position the camera behind Geralt in that mod and does it get rid of the shaky-cam like the F2 above?

Well. I'll just have to settle for F2 view. :) At least it has no shaky-cam. It took me some time to figure it out. I dont need to have the middle mouse button pressed all the time. So this will be the view I'll play the game in. Now I can actually play the game instead of talk-outa-my-ass. :) Gonna have to restart the game though but that's ok. I'm only at the begging of Ch2.As for the CamerSettings.2ds file, I think this is what the settings do:Looking down at the top of Geralts Head = 0.0 degreesLooking at the back of Geralt = 90.0 degrees,Looking ... feet ... = 180 degrees... etc...MinTilt, MaxTilt are values specified in degrees (as stated above). I ~think~ these settings specifiy the allowable camera tilts for each setting. For example, in Ch2 Vizmia, this is a HybridOutdoor setting. Set the MaxTilt at 25.0 and MinTilt at 5.0 degrees and all you can do is have the camera look down at Geralt in this type of setting (buildings + outdoor == hyrbid, im guessing).MinDist and MaxDist, think of the values for these at Units, so 1.0 is 1 unit 10 is 10 units of distance (whatever metric, doesnt matter). The camera will set itself at a MinDist and MaxDist as specified by these values in the file. I think MaxDist works (at least in F2 mode) so that suppose you set the MaxDist to 20.0. Well, Geralt will run 20 units of distance away from the camera before the camera follows him. I'm not sure what the *desired* parameters do but I'm guessing that the Tilt and Dist perhaps has to do with combat mode or some automatic mode (not 100% sure on these). Will have to investigate.FOV = Field of View ... think of this as Peripheral vision. a low value will make the crop the edges of the camera sort of like those blinders that are put on horses to keep their FOV tunneled. Low values basically put the camera right behind Geralts head as if your face was right behind his head and all you can see is his head plus a little bit on each side. That is all I know from messing with the file.Edit: It's getting late for me so dont quote me on this. I think they above files are interpreted! So you can just start the witcher application, change the file, load a game & check the settings, unload the game, change the file, load a game & check the settings...without ever closing the witcher app. I think.

Protocakes said:
Well. I'll just have to settle for F2 view. :) At least it has no shaky-cam.
Good, I'm glad you can play. I play in F2, myself, which may be why I was wondering why you were complaining about the camera, since I'd never noticed it. :D
Gonna have to restart the game though but that's ok. I'm only at the begging of Ch2.
No, you don't have to restart the game. You can switch among the three views anytime you want. Just load your game, press F2, and you'll be good to go. If you want to change difficulty level you have to restart the game; maybe that's what you were thinking of.

Corylea said:
Corylea said:
Well. I'll just have to settle for F2 view. :) At least it has no shaky-cam.
Good, I'm glad you can play. I play in F2, myself, which may be why I was wondering why you were complaining about the camera, since I'd never noticed it. :D
Gonna have to restart the game though but that's ok. I'm only at the begging of Ch2.
No, you don't have to restart the game. You can switch among the three views anytime you want. Just load your game, press F2, and you'll be good to go. If you want to change difficulty level you have to restart the game; maybe that's what you were thinking of.
I had to restart the game because I was complete lost - storywise. I had no idea what was going on, why I was even in Vizima, etc...the headaches from the shaky-cam in F3-OTS view where causing me to lose focus during the cutscenes and conversations. So it took me a days playtime to get back to ch2, and the story is making sense now. I'm actually enjoying the game. Except the Beast is totally discourging. I hope all the bosses are not as hard as him.

Protocakes said:
I had to restart the game because I was complete lost - storywise. I had no idea what was going on, why I was even in Vizima, etc...the headaches from the shaky-cam in F3-OTS view where causing me to lose focus during the cutscenes and conversations.
Wow. Your sensitivity to camera shaking sounds pretty disabling. I know how that kind of thing can be, not from camera shaking, but from heat. If it's warmer than 75 F, I fall over. Everybody else thinks that 80 F is perfect weather, and I'm sitting under a tree, fanning myself. People think that if I just tried harder, I could stand the heat. Nope. Did that when I was young; that's how I know that I fall over! So I feel for you, having a sensitivity that a lot of people don't understand.
Except the Beast is totally discourging. I hope all the bosses are not as hard as him.
A lot of players think that the Beast is the toughest monster in the game. I found him pretty intimidating the first time I played, but now that I know what to do, he's not a big problem. There's a very long thread in the Story section about what to do about the Beast, so if you have trouble with him, there's loads of advice, tips, and pointers there. Once you know what to do, the Beast isn't hard. Really!

Top Bottom