Adam Kiciński about TW3 delay

+

Sken

Forum veteran
I remember in one of the video interviews, a developer spoke about a really cool feature/mechanic that they would like to implement in the game, but didn't think it would make it as they wouldn't have enough time.

They never revealed what that feature was, maybe it did get included in the end, hence the aiming higher part aside from better graphics.

Makes me wonder if with the delay we might see a return of that Witcher Senses combat system.

Doubt it. According to that interview, the reason for dropping the feature was cost-related, not due to time constraints.

Thanks, I read the one above as well, damn I hope they can bring the fur simulation to consoles, it was one of the things that excited me the most about the VGX trailer.

If Novigrad is bigger than Vizima then I'll be really happy but it won't matter to me as long as the cities aren't ridiculously small as Skyrim's.

I really wish they'd show definitive features :( Even if it's something as little as horse riding.

And I REALLY need to see the alchemy system.

MOD EDIT: No platform bashing here please.

I'm sorry but what?

After reading all 17 pages, I don't think Novigrad is a concern anymore :) There were good arguments concerning the city's size and a RED responded that the thread sparked an office discussion.

Whether or not it was a reason for the delay remains to be seen though, one can only surmise that it's vastness was something they were aiming higher for.

By the way of real-world comparison, Veliky Novgorod, the leading city of the Novgorod Republic, was at its largest just 5,300 households. The reasons for complaining over the size of in-game Novigrad have long escaped me.

5,300 households is still quite a lot. Assuming no more than a couple and one child per household - a modest estimation in my opinion - that's still a city of over 16,000 souls, which is quite a lot - though probably much, much less than canon-Novigrad would be.

Obviously, because of how video games work, you can't possibly have an actual capital-sized city in a game, unless you make your entire game setting about the city. I mean, even assuming Novigrad is "only" 50-100 thousand strong, that would make it a huge city, and gameplay-wise, navigating through it would be a HUGE p.i.t.a. The whole art here is to make you feel like you're in a large, bustling city, without wasting your time with its most mundane annoyances, such as getting from point A to point B.

Say the burgomeister asks you to go see the captain of the guard for a certain problem : you want to get there. However, in life-sized city, that would take forever on foot... Take Paris: going on foot from what would be Town Hall to the equivalent of the Guards' Tower is about 1h20 if you're a steady walker.

Now, in a video game, you can get away with that by designing a "huge" city, but keeping everything important in a single bloc. It's easy to explain lorewise too: the guards' tower is right next to town hall both to protect it and to make communicating easier. Add in some sprawling background art and you've got a metropolis!

TL;DR: Novigrad - or any other city in TW3 - doesn't need to be big. It needs to look big, feel big, but stay small enough that we don't waste precious gaming time running around for no reason.

I mean, even assuming Novigrad is "only" 50-100 thousand strong, that would make it a huge city, and gameplay-wise, navigating through it would be a HUGE p.i.t.a.

If I recall correctly it's population is somewhere in the area of 30.000(?), might be wrong. And while I agree that the trick with Novigrad is to make it feel big, let's not forget it's getting an entire area for itself and it's surroundings, so there's quite a bit of chance it will actually be big.

I just cannot wait until we can get a more in-depth look at it.

the largest city in the north ? well I don't think Novigrad is my concern anymore .
the more concerning me here is must be a city in Nilfgaardian Empire

( well take a looks at this map )

http://witcher.gamepedia.com/Nilfgaardian_Empire

even their did say anything about this yet but..,, am feel we can get lost in their city easily then a north kingdom ,

I would take a wild stab and say it had something to do with the graphics.

Me too , just recenly couple days before Witcher 3 delay there was quite big uproar about Watch Dogs graphics downgrade from E3 2012/2013 previev builds .And Adam said that decision was made in days.I belive backslash that hit Ubisoft helped CDPR decision to delay.And I belive that CDPR could deliver in 2014 but only on PC. :)

Edit: There was also complains just recently about Dark Souls 2 graphic downgrade but not as much since its mostly relay on gameplay.

Last edited:
Top Bottom