Saw Blade Runner first time since childhood

+
i actually liked prometheus, i don't know why but i did i enjoyed it. Yes it's silly in places but it sort of had that original alien feel to it.

block out the story and the sillyness and some of the characters and you have a nice fun brainless movie that looks cool ... maybe thats what i liked about it all - the look - i dont' know but somewhere somehow i like prometheus.

First time I watched Prometheus I didn't really like it. Then after a year or two I rewatched it and liked it for some of the images and characters: the employer kept alive by machines so he can participate on the journey for example or Charlize Theron well for being Charlize Theron presumably. The sole survivor part in the end was nice I guess.... I'm actually excited for the follow up although there obviously were a lot of flaws to find (that flute thing was unbearable really) if you're the more critical type and unwilling to overlook stuff for the sake of your enjoyment.

And Blade Runner is one of my favourite movies to date - mainly for the setting and the music I guess but I also liked Philip K. Dick's book so well...

I liked the original prometheus script (you can still read or download it somewever online). Your usual alien thing with an android/bot and bigger aliens. Also all kind if deaths from old alien movies

their mistake was hiring inadequate talent. damon lindelof was completely out of his depth. in his desperate delirium, he seemed to have reverted back to amateurish b movie horror cliches.

i guess writing pretentious philosophy reference ridden convoluted nonsense doesn't really prepare you for the big leagues. ridley scott deserved better in what will probably be his final entry in the alien saga.

their mistake was hiring inadequate talent. damon lindelof was completely out of his depth. in his desperate delirium, he seemed to have reverted back to amateurish b movie horror cliches.

i guess writing pretentious philosophy reference ridden convoluted nonsense doesn't really prepare you for the big leagues. ridley scott deserved better in what will probably be his final entry in the alien saga.

Pedestrian writing, ludicrous science, brain-fart engineering, null and void philosophy, offensive religion. Every good idea they cribbed from somewhere else is immediately trivialized or abandoned without explanation. Not even Noomi Rapace could save it, though she makes a damn good attempt at it.

I love books and films that try to address who we are, where we came from, where we are going, what is our place in the universe. But this shallow claptrap about us being created by alien intelligence doesn't even rise to the level of trying.

In Lindelof's defense, at least he saw that it would be an even greater disaster if they had been so stupid as to preserve the Alien-prequel ending.

Last edited:
Ran across this article, and thought it was relevant to the discussion, particularly:

"Taking Time to Establish Characters

This is a double-edged sword — movies in the 80s had a much slower pace, and now when you watch an old-school classic you can't help noticing how deliberate the build-up is. You probably couldn't get away with that nowadays, given how much faster things move on television and games, and how much shorter everybody's attention spans are thanks to text messages and whatnot. But something amazing happens when you spend a bit more time laying track before the train roars away from the station: you actually bond with the characters and care what happens to them."

"Taking Time to Establish Characters
.... But something amazing happens when you spend a bit more time laying track before the train roars away from the station: you actually bond with the characters and care what happens to them."

^^so much this, there is of course ever present danger of crossing the line into pretentious boringness but when they pull it of it is undeniably art. And that is what I feel about Blade Runner god damn art, every second of it. Something in that movie relates to me and I love it :)

There is a show called "Rectify" which attempts and gloriously succeeds to pull off this approach.
It is not SF and whole plot is this: guy gets out of prison after many years, probably innocent, and tries to deal with it. Still for 50 minutes in every one of 6 episodes you are on the edge of your seat. It is all about atmosphere and his inner struggle painted with acting, directing, photography, editing, dialog, music... Literally everything is done with superb skill to sinergize so it could reach and emotionally engage viewer.
It is Sundance TV production but don't let that fool you. This is not some low budget emo crap. Best tv in years (except of course for GoT which is in it's own realm of awesomeness) :)

Last edited:
I'm late to the party but I thought I'd post anyway. Are you still talking about Blade Runner?

I am an avid PKD reader. When I first watched Blade Runner as a teenager (rented on DVD mind you), I didn't think much of it. When I rewatched it, after reading a bunch of PKD and especially "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?", I actually really liked it. My impression is that the movie fails to self contain the theme(s) carefully developed by the novel, and doesn't present it/them in a comprehensive manner.

To begin with, the novel deals with more than just androids. It also deals with beliefs, mysticism, shared and individual empathy and cognitive differences between humans and machines that apparently pass Turing's test. Essentially, it discusses metahumanity and symbolism. Referencing the title, if androids showed empathy, would they dream of electric sheep? Because taking care of animals became a determining symbol of empathy after much of Earth died, and when animals were no longer easily accessible electric animals became the new symbol. In the novel, the issue of whether Rick Deckard is an android or not is only vaguely suggested, by his acceptance of the electric toad, a symbol of either his androidism or his human condition.

The movie strips most of the philosophy and tries to present the aesthetics of a futuristic android hunt. I think it does it very well, so much that, even more so than the novel, it defines elements of the cyberpunk genre. But it is better appreciated if we know what to look for. Mind you, several things are very different. Like JF Sebastian, a character made up for the movie.

It is interesting that Philip K Dick actually liked what he heard about the movie (premiered after his death). After a TV interview where Harrison Ford explained the concept and elements of the movie, PKD wrote Ford a letter sharing his happiness and satisfaction with their implementation of his own kind of futurism. What Blade Runner is about is not only "cyberpunk" or human augmentation. It is also about the projection of human activities of all kinds, imagining what they could become or what they could entail. This relates to art, music, literature, human relationships and, why not, science and technology.

After all, PKD's own brand of sci fi is not concerned with the mechanics or the actual devices. PKD's futurism projects the technology of his time into evolved, elaborate and intricate devices that affect human relationships and perception, and THIS is what he writes about. I think Blade Runner is more about futurism than pure sci fi or cyberpunk, but maybe, regrettably, it is not as self contained as we would like.

Last edited:
After all, PKD's own brand of sci fi is not concerned with the mechanics or the actual devices. PKD's futurism projects the technology of his time into evolved, elaborate and intricate devices that affect human relationships and perception, and THIS is what he writes about. .

Nicely summed-up.

I'm happilly agreeing with our CP forum guru, Wisdom. :p
Blade Runner is a masterpiece., and it does an excellent job presenting a believable world, full of dread and danger, without telegraphing everything to the audience. And IT DOES a great job mixing Sci-fi with Noir also.

It's all a matter of taste, all in all. Nobody is wrong if he/she doesnt like the movie, and I have to agree that maybe our childhood/teengage memories are heavy on the balance because back then we were more impressionable, of course, so it might have made a bigger impact then than a similar movie would now...

But what I found most striking is that I prefer the film to the short novella... Sure there were some cool metaphisical ideas there, but the characters in "Do androids dream..." are really flat, and the dialogs are almost ridiculous... All the conflict between the human and AI was very poorly scripted.
In the film, on the other hand, though the story is told through the eyes of Deckard, you really feel for the tragic fate of the replicants. In the book that is nowhere to be found; the replicants' motivations are non existant or so unfathomable that you just cant relate at all.

Last edited:
I'm happilly agreeing with our CP forum guru, Wisdom. :p
Blade Runner is a masterpiece., and it does an excellent job presenting a believable world, full of dread and danger, without telegraphing everything to the audience. And IT DOES a great job mixing Sci-fi with Noir also.

It's all a matter of taste, all in all. Nobody is wrong if he/she doesnt like the movie, and I have to agree that maybe our childhood/teengage memories are heavy on the balance because back then we were more impressionable, of course, so it might have made a bigger impact then than a similar movie would now...

But what I found most striking is that I prefer the film to the short novella... Sure there were some cool metaphisical ideas there, but the characters in "Do androids dream..." are really flat, and the dialogs are almost ridiculous... All the conflict between the human and AI were very poorly scripted. In the film, on the other hand, though the story is told through the eyes of Deckard, you really feel for the tragic fate of the replicants. In the book that is nowhere to be found; the replicants' motivations are non existant or so unfathomable that you just cant relate at all.

Not all that striking, the movie is a completely different animal, one which I prefer to the short story as well. It's not often, but sometimes, yes, the movie is better than the book. Bladerunner, Lord Of The Rings, And at least the Ending to Watchmen (not the whole movie, just the ending).

Not all that striking, the movie is a completely different animal, one which I prefer to the short story as well. It's not often, but sometimes, yes, the movie is better than the book. Bladerunner, Lord Of The Rings, And at least the Ending to Watchmen (not the whole movie, just the ending).

There is everything wrong with this. Just everything. I hope Alan Moore finds you and does weird witchcraft-y things to you.

Sorry sard, but even back in the 80's I thought the octopus monster thing just looked bloody stupid...

Blade Runner was an incoherent mess. It doesn't do what a movie should: hook you, take you for a ride, and end that ride in a climax. Scott failed in the pacing and story.

If you consider Armageddon one of the best sci-fi flicks of all time then you won't like this movie. Of course I like sci-fic action flicks like Total Recall and Aliens as much but I also like thinking films. This is a thinking film.

For what it is this movie is simply amazing. Sure it isn't realistic. But I haven't found a sci-fi movie which has ever seemed plausible. Who designs buildings so darkly? Nobody would want to work or live in that. There is a reason why they try to use light colours in office buildings today.

The first 45 minutes is quite slow. You have to pay attention to the dialogue- its important ironically there isn't much dialogue. I would have liked to heard more from Edward James Olmos. But listen to the dialogue! Especially if you are watching the directors cut. You will have to figure things out for yourself. This film will not be liked by lazy thinkers. Did I mention pay attention to the dialogue? I thought so.

If you expend the energy to think about the words and the images the film will simply be amazing. The suspense will be lost if you aren't following the story though. And of course the best scene in the movie is where creation meets his creator. The scene is gripping to say the least.

I'm not big on Rutger's speech at the end. It's an average speech at best. But the mood was still there, and it was still an excellent scene. And the ending which I will not spoil is not to be missed. It leaves questions unanswered. I'm sure I mentioned this was a thinking movie. It's up to you to come up with the answers. If you are unwilling to do that then don't watch this movie. You will hate it. But if you are willing to think during and after a movie you will find this one of the best sci-fi movies ever.

This movie is the next big thing to Aliens in all sci-fic movies and a profound figure in the cyberpunk universe. Shame that some of you didn't understand or like it at all.

Last edited:
Blade Runner was an incoherent mess. It doesn't do what a movie should: hook you, take you for a ride, and end that ride in a climax. Scott failed in the pacing and story.

While I disagree with you overall, I do agree that Scotts pacing was faulty, which is why the theatrical version is much better than the directors cut... the Voice-over narrative fills in a lot of the dead space as it were, and gives the film a very noir feeling.

The directors cut lost the noir feeling, and added in leftover girly unicorn bullshit from legend...

The directors cut lost the noir feeling, and added in leftover girly unicorn bullshit from legend...

Heh. Come ON, Wisdom! LOOK AT THESE HORNS.

And this unicorn! SO PRETTY. Gets me all Twi-hot.

Top Bottom