Curse You GOG!

+
Surprising move for me, but still - the more competition the better. In time events like this should really push MS to step their game up.

@gregski: Actually I don't find it surprising. Looking at all direct competitors supporting Linux, it became more and more weird that GOG still didn't. So they figured it's better late than never.

Really good news, and good move. Even though I can play on Windows, supporting linux is big + for me when i consider buying a game, and few times it was prevailing argument to buy game or to pay original price at release. Supporting Linux was also why I preferred Steam (till now hopefully ^^).

Like Gilrond said all of GOG's competitors already support Linux, so more than surprising it was long due.

And I don't really see how this relates to Microsoft stepping up their game. GNU/Linux earned all its merits on its own, for instance for being a DRM free operating system and respecting people's rights and privacy. This is something MS cannot and will not offer. I just don't see how this will prompt MS to step up unless you think Linux and OS X support is a bad thing.

In the end this is a victory for true DRM free gaming, which is presumably one of GOG's interests.

Last edited:
Sorry for double dipping.

Apparently GOG updated something in The Witcher (one), but I don't see anything new. I'm guessing it's one of the extras and not a software change.

So what is it?

@.Volsung.: they fixed some files in the FLAC soundtrack they provided. The best way to check what that "new" in GOG releases means is to go the the corresponding game forum and check the latest announcement. In this case it's: https://secure.gog.com/forum/the_witcher/the_witcher_1_flac_ost_has_been_fixed. Game forum link is conveniently provided in the game card.

I agree that this isn't the easiest way to see what the update is about. They can place the "new" marker over the actual download links or something. Feel free to file a site suggestion about it.

Yeah, when I read articles about the franchise, they usually were along the lines of:
Deus Ex 1 is one of the best games in history, DE:HR was a surprisingly great prequel, and DE2 we rather forget about.

Hmm, that's a fairly recent game for GOG.com. That's good I guess.

I was somewhat interested in Risen 2 a few months ago, but recently I saw some gameplay video and I think I'll pass :)

That's some fierce jungle survival right there. A true dark and gritty pirate epic...

EDIT: FF to 1:11

That's some fierce jungle survival right there. A true dark and gritty pirate epic...

Haha, yes, Risen 2 is not that great, in my opinion. There might be people out there that get a kick out of it though, and it's fairly good price for a recent title. DRM free on top of all that.

Last edited:
EDIT: FF to 1:11

Do you mean animals just standing still instead of attacking? I'm playing the first Risen now, and it's fairly good.

About Risen 2, it's encouraging to see a recent game from a rather big publisher released DRM-free (just in the sense of DRM-free progress).

Last edited:
Do you mean animals just standing still instead of attacking? I'm playing the first Risen now, and it's fairly good.

About Risen 2, it's encouraging to see a recent game from a rather big publisher released DRM-free (just in the sense of DRM-free progress).

Yes. Hacking away at warthogs who patiently wait to be killed. Not exactly what I consider pirate-y. Then again I'm not much into action "RPG's".

But yes in general it's good to have more DRM-free titles.

Top Bottom