Crash at the Dike

+
Crash at the Dike

My game keeps crashing when I enter the Dike for the first time, right after I walk past the Harbor Whore NPC. The game has been fine thus far. The crash freezes my entire system and I have to force-restart my computer. I've tried attaching the savegame but my posts keep timing out. I can send it or try and attach it later if it is needed. Thanks in advance!

Jerzul said:
My game keeps crashing when I enter the Dike for the first time, right after I walk past the Harbor ****** NPC. The game has been fine thus far. The crash freezes my entire system and I have to force-restart my computer. I've tried attaching the savegame but my posts keep timing out. I can send it or try and attach it later if it is needed. Thanks in advance!
do try the IFO fix from the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0

The fix did not work. Everything about the Dike seems to be buggy. Whenever I first enter the dike and try to follow the FAQ advice the computer freezes. If I enter the dike, then save and attempt to reload the computer freezes. Even if I try to load into the Dike fresh it fails. The rest of the Temple district has been fine, it all runs smooth and I haven't have any trouble with it.

I will install and patch the game, please send me your savegame to the email in my signature and i will see if it acts the same way on my computer....If not, we will need to see why your installation is doing it... chances are that if it does not crash here, you have corrupted files on your computer :)

Jerzul said:
The fix did not work. Everything about the Dike seems to be buggy. Whenever I first enter the dike and try to follow the FAQ advice the computer freezes. If I enter the dike, then save and attempt to reload the computer freezes. Even if I try to load into the Dike fresh it fails. The rest of the Temple district has been fine, it all runs smooth and I haven't have any trouble with it.
you do the IFO fix before entering the Dike, then reload and enter Dike

i have his savegame, he is already in the Dike, i am waiting to see if it is when he tries to leave the dike or when he tries to load the savegame.

Mobidoy said:
If you see it here first, i am waiting for answers on email :)
I'm sorry, you're email never got back to me. I was able to fix the problem by uninstalling and reinstalling the game (saving the saves). That seemed to work fine. Thank you Mobidoy for helping out, it's always nice to see selfless individuals trying to help people enjoy a hobby for little or no self-benefit. OF COURSE, now I have a new problem. Although, for once, I don't think it is the Witcher's fault. I updated my Vista this morning (using the usual windows tools) and when I went to play this afternoon the game started up but the videos did not play. All I got was a black screen with the guantleted hand as my pointer. Then everything froze up. So I uninstalled, now, whenever I try and install the computer goes blue screen after I switch to the "bonus disk". Specifically it seems to crash after the install bar resets (the game is installing "redistributables" or something along those lines. So now I can't even install the game! I know, this will be moved into the Vista installation thread...but this is just frustrating!

Lets take this back in to email... What you need to do is to go to your start menu and type Memory, you should see Memory Diagnostics Tool. Run it, you will have to reboot. From the start, i always suspected one of your memory module.Let the test run and please, write down the result if it failed... If it does not, i will make you create another boot disk with memtest x86.Lets start with this one first and we will see what we will get.PS: i sent the email to your yahoo account.

Jerzul said:
OF COURSE, now I have a new problem. Although, for once, I don't think it is the Witcher's fault. I updated my Vista this morning (using the usual windows tools) and when I went to play this afternoon the game started up but the videos did not play. All I got was a black screen with the guantleted hand as my pointer. Then everything froze up. So I uninstalled, now, whenever I try and install the computer goes blue screen after I switch to the "bonus disk". Specifically it seems to crash after the install bar resets (the game is installing "redistributables" or something along those lines. So now I can't even install the game! I know, this will be moved into the Vista installation thread...but this is just frustrating!
what did you update?in the update section you can see what you installed if i recall correctly

Top Bottom